Clive Christian X Men

on 4/9/2012 11:46:00 PM

This fragrance had such potential, very beautiful at points but morphs off track as it wears.

I have owned it for several years and keep revisiting it to re-analyze it. I have finally nailed it.

It opens with a well-blended, seamless composition that is ginger a well-handled tiny touch of citrus, and an (this is surprising) oregano/labdanum and clove/cinnamon/cardamom/pepper tangle. It is beautiful. There is a well handled musk/cedar middle note, with the clove becoming stronger as the volatile ginger and flower top notes disappear.

This is where it becomes less than opulent. As its base notes emerge and dominate, there is a bay/allspice note that comes out with a touch of amber, and the most microscopic whisper of...garlic! I supposed that the perfumer kissed it with a teeny-tiny off note to give it sort of an indian spice shop gourmand effect.

I like spice, and I like gourmands sometimes, but what is left on the skin after about 5 or 10 minutes is sort of muddy spice/musk mixture that is pleasant enough but loses my desire for it at this price tag. It is a masculine scent that could be unisex, and its projection is very light so it doesn't come across as unrefined. All-in-all, I am initially impressed but then, eh.

on 2/13/2008 4:43:00 PM

Best cardamom of the universe, as far as I travelled:)
Longlasting spicy and so bright. Enough said.

on 6/30/2007 12:39:00 AM

One of my favorites of all time. The other 2 Clive Christian fragrances were not that great, but this one is. Worth the money? If I had it yes.

on 10/11/2005 12:31:00 PM

My ex and I shared the same affinity for perfumes, and although my collection surpassed his in numbers, he did pick classy, unique colognes that really smelled wonderful on him. Clive Christian X Men has to be my favorite of the colognes he wore, not because I knew what it was or how much it cost, but because every time he wore it, I would notice and ask what it was because I liked it so much. I won't go into the notes and all the details, but I will say that this cologne is pure seduction and class rolled into a beautiful bottle. Expensive, yes, but the scent inside is worth it. Terrific lasting power and astonishingly gorgeous masculine smell. Not too sweet or too spicy or alcohol-y, like so many others. Definitely doesn't smell like Polo Sport or other dime-a-dozen department store colognes. I wish more men would wear this scent-- it's that good.

on 12/2/2004 1:22:00 PM

X by Clive Christian begins as a very nice, well-balanced fragrance that utilizes all of its notes in the most dreamy way. Cardamom, bergamot, pink pepper, bay cinnamon, Virginia cedar and tonka bean; all of these notes are strong and play their own part in the X olfactory experience. It begins very warm with hot spices, a mild creamy sweet tonka bean note and cedarwood. While it is nice, I find doesn’t warrant such a hefty price tag. It begins to smell like an unimaginative, generic fragrance after only a couple of minutes. What smells like patchouli to me emerges as it dries down. After about a half hour, X changes into a completely different fragrance that I don't much care for. The sweet notes fade away to almost nothing, leaving behind only patchouli and an unpleasant heavy woods note. But even if they bottled and sold the wonderful top and middle notes, it still wouldn’t be worth the arm and leg that a Clive Christian fetches.

Popular Fragrances (for Men)

Bleu de Chanel