September 19, 2014 | 1987 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Kiehl's - Superbly Restorative Argan Dry Oil

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/18/2013 1:10:00 PM More reviews by hollyannie2001

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am giving this 4 lippies, but for a very specific reason.

I don't tend to find this oil "superbly restorative" on my dry skin. More like lightly moisturizing during the summer when my skin is less dry. I had used this a few times as a moisturizer and not been super impressed; I found that it tended to sit on the surface of my skin rather than seeming to absorb deeply. As far as its other use for the hair -- I find oils are not good for my very curly hair (they seem to make the curls lock up LESS) so this product was more or less just going unused on my shelf.

However: I use self tanner on my extremely pale legs during the summer. And no matter how much I follow the rules, exfoliating and moisturizing before using the tanner, I inevitably end up with blotchy, uneven coverage. This oil has actually solved this problem for me for the first time. I have no idea why, but when I use this as my pre-tanner moisturizer, and then do what I always do (applying the tanner in long, even strokes, feathering around knees and ankles, etc), I end up with even, non-blotchy color for the first time in my self-tanning life (years). For the record I am using Clarins Self Tanning Milk at the moment because I heard it was not blotchy, but it was blotchy for me until I tried it with the Kiehl's oil.

And, I have not tried this with other (less expensive) dry oils so it is possible that it is not the Kiehl's product specifically. Nonetheless, I am happy to have a solution to my blotchy self-tanner problem so I will continue to use these two products together and would strongly considering repurchasing if it continues to work this well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2013 3:53:00 PM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Perfect product to take when traveling (but make sure to put it in a Ziploc baggie cause the oil will tend to leak out a bit - Kiehl's, please make this with a better pour spout!), because it can be used to moisturize the body and hair. My husband has also used this as a face moisturizer during the summer when his skin is not so dry. It's a "dry oil" because it's very light and absorbs instead of sitting on the surface of the skin/hair. I recommend applying this when skin/hair is damp after the shower. Leaves a nice sheen. I also love putting this on right before applying a body sunscreen - it makes the sunscreen go over the skin so smoothly.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 11:18:00 AM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I can't believe there are positive reviews for this product.

Did I recently purchase the same item?

42.00 USD for 8 oz. of "Superbly Restorative." Huh? I can't even begin to figure out how Kiehl's comes up with either restorative, yet alone superb.

I used Kiehl's years and years ago, and left the brand. Recently purchased Nighttime Treatment (blue bottle), and was so wowed by it that I went on a Kiehl's binge. This is one of the products I picked up. (And I am remembering why I quit buying Kiehl's.)

I don't think I am cheap when it comes to beauty, but I just don't understand 1) what is restorative; 2) what is superb; 3) what justifies 42 bucks for 8 oz. of this.

I purchased a bunch of Aura Cacia bubble bath recently, and got a free oil with purchase. Way better.

Sorry, this went back to Nordies. Don't get this one at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2010 8:32:00 AM More reviews by serenechew

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Black

I have permed and coloured hair. I bought this as it had the words Argan oil, written in huge fonts, on the package, without checking. Urgh, Argan isn't the main ingredient. I use it nevertheless, it is fast absorbing on skin, and calms down the frizzes on my hair immediately. It is non-oily and quite light. The smell is quite strong, in that after I use this, the fragrance on my hair from my shampoo is gone. It is quite a pity as I love my shampoo's fragrance. I smell like I have just gone to the spa. It makes me a little sleepy, so I suppose it has a calming effect. I have since bought Josie Maran's organic argan oil 100%. The texture is a little heavier than the Kiehl's one but less fragrance. I have noticed not much difference in the way they work. I would not buy this again and go for the 100% argan products instead.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/3/2010 12:42:00 PM More reviews by rory13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My husband (a total Kiehl's addict) got this as a gift, and he wasn't a fan of the lavender-ish scent. I was about to return it when I saw that it could be used for hair. I am always on the lookout for hair products so I decided to try it. Wow! I am impressed. I used 4 drops for my collarbone length hair and it was very smooth and shiny. It did not mask the scent of my shampoo so this might be the best use for this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 2:03:00 AM More reviews by GlitzyGlam

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a decent oil, but Argan is the 7th ingredient. IMO, if it has Argan in the name, then it should at least be the 3rd ingredient! I use Melvita pure argan oil to augment it because I prefer a more traditional rich body oil feel, rather than a "dry" oil feel. I took off a point because I hate the smell of this. It smells fine in the bottle, but once applied to my skin, it has a disgusting skunky, marijuana type odor combined with a cheap smelling lavender note. I find it very offensive and it's a pain because I have to layer Jo Malone Verbenas of Provence body oil, and Nutmeg & Ginger body cream on top of it... AND I CAN STILL SMELL IT! I son't know what ingredient it is that smells so bad, but I know it's not Argan, because the pure argan oil smells a little like olives. It makes your skin soft, as any oil should, but I don't know if I'll repurchase because of the smell and it's not rich enough for my dry skin on it's own.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No