July 30, 2014 | 965 users online

Eye Shadow - Christian Dior - Mystic Smokys

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2014 5:49:00 AM More reviews by Andi2010

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

These colours aren't even me - what is wrong with me?? - I'll tell you what - I'm a make-up junky and this was marked down enough to say "Hey this is Christian Dior - I need this in my life" .

They are nice enough shadows but IMO not as good as UD or TF and the colour combination here is just plain weird. I do like the pale pink and shimmery white/cream but that's all I really use from this little palette. Sometimes the dark brown as an eyeliner but I do have nicer browns to work with. The purple on me is a no go as its one of those punched in the eye purples -never a good look :) I find charcoal gray is not the best with my green eyes either but this palette could be good for blue eyes or a darker skin tone that can pull off quite a dark eye.

For reference I'm NC15, light hair and generally can't pull off a dark smokey eye - it doesn't look flattering and seems to age me.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/20/2013 9:30:00 PM More reviews by alisha546

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm not sure if I got a dud or what but the top right is not able to be picked up with my crease brush. The white is a glitter bomb. The colors are quite similar so variety would've been better.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/11/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by littleann818

Got this product as a gift. The eye shadow colors are nice but they are a little too dark and shimmery for me. I like palettes that can be used to achieve an everyday look and this palette is a little bit on the "glam" side. Great to use for weddings and special occasions but not for my everyday look. I probably would not buy this palette again, especially considering the price is pretty expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2012 4:33:00 PM More reviews by FiendGirl138

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Oh this is just my favorite of the 3 Dior Palettes I own. They're all good but the colors in Mystic Smokys are special. They work together beautifully and blend like a dream. The egplant purple is my go to crease color and the dark brown/grey is perfect for crease or liner. These can be built up to any level of intensity you want and layered on top of each other for endless possibilities. I had no idea when I got this how versatile it would be. I just wanted it. Period. But omg, I'm still finding different ways to wear these colors! So worth every penny, and more!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 10:44:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Miss for me. Nicely pigmented, but hard to blend, although there is no point blending because they all seem to be very similar in colour on. Throughout the evening, they wore well, I will say that, as Dior shadows do, but there was really no colour payoff, just murkiness darkness. Would've been ok if I did not have the Chanel version which I actually do really enjoy (especially the brown!) but this version cannot really be worn in the day and as the SA said to me, it is good to mix this with other colours to make it work.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2010 5:16:00 AM More reviews by mstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Mystic Smokys is a dream come true for me, as a dark-skinned black woman (NW45). All five shades are amazing, and I literally couldn't ask for anything more. In my opinion, this is probably the best 5-Colour Dior has released in many years. All five of the shades in Mystic Smokys work well together, and each one is an exceptionally beautiful eyeshadow in its own right.

I was excited to buy it because I've been lemming the Dior Argentic and Ultra Violet 1-Colour shadows, and Mystic Smokys contains very close dupes of those colors. The purple shade in this palette is actually prettier than Ultra Violet, and although the charcoal grey shade isn't quite as metallic as Argentic, it's close enough for me to be satisfied.

For me, the highlight of the palette is the smoky brown shade. Given that I have warm-toned, dark brown skin, smoky browns are usually a no-no...they tend to look ashy on me. The Mystic Smokys brown shade is PERFECT--it's dark enough for me to actually use in my crease or as a liner, and the hint of grey shows up as sultry smokiness, not as dull ashiness. This is a color that was sorely missing from my collection, and I suspect I'll end up buying a second Mystic Smokys compact just to ensure that I can always have this shade handy. I've read some describe the brown shade as matte, but it actually has a hint of soft shimmer...it's a semi-matte, if you will. I would have gladly paid $56 just for this shade alone.

On to the two lighter shades. In most palettes, the lighter colors give me problems, because light shimmery colors always show up on me as frosty white. So I figured that the center shade of Mystic Smokys would be a waste for me, but it's actually beautiful. It's a subtle irridescent pale pink, with a soft golden glow. The pink never veers into flourescence, as so many irridescents tend to do on my skin, yet it still looks obviously pink--NOT frosty white. This is a sophisticated pink shimmer, and I'm glad to add it to my collection.

And finally, the white gold color. I had recently been thinking that I needed a soft ivory-gold glitter shadow...the last one I had was from a Lancome trio which was discontinued long ago. Mystic Smokys has offered me the perfect shade of ivory gold glitter, and I couldn't be happier! This color looks gorgeous layered on top of any of the darker shades, and is also a phenomenal brow highlight, inner corner highlight, or lid color. It would even work well as a soft highlight for the cheek, or for above the eyebrow.

This palette seems almost like it was made for darker skin tones! So often, we have to settle for palettes that were not geared for our coloring, but Mystic Smokys really hit a home run with this selection of shades. I'm so glad I bought it, and I will definitely repurchase before the palette is discontinued.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/14/2010 1:47:00 PM More reviews by darkEyespinkLips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm sorry but this quint is horrible. When actually applied to the lid the dark purple, green and brown colors all look the same! They just blend into one muddy looking mess...not a pretty color at all. I've tried everything to make this work: different bases, different primers, Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy, using only one of the colors at a time, using all of them, lots of blending, no blending at all and different brushes. It's just impossible. I am sick to my stomach at how much I paid for such a crappy quint, but I used it so many times trying to get it to work that I can't return it so I will probably end up swapping it. Don't get me wrong, the colors are so pretty in the pan! They look gorgeous and vibrant but they don't transfer that way onto the lid. The purple looks like dark gray, the green looks like dark brown, and the brown looks like, well...brown. They are just so muddy and not very colorful at all. I understand it's supposed to be a "smokey" quint but I didn't think the colors were supposed to look all the same. Once again...MUDDY. That is the only word I can use to describe this. BTW the pink color is not very pigmented at all...it's basically just a frost. And the white is just glitter with terrible fallout. It's not even good for highlighting or inner corners. I was hoping for more of a pearly frosty white that I could use for just that but don't even bother unless you want powdery glitter everywhere. Also it enrages me that Dior spelled smokey "smoky".

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by valentina555

this is a new release 5-color along with Extase Pink (i bought both). this is a new formula as well, although it is not clear in writing what is different. it is not labelled as iridescent though some colors in the palette definitely are. others lean more towards a satin finish. the palette includes a great dark taupe, who doesn't need that? the dark aubergine color is also universally flattering and better than the average brown or black for a smokey eye.
the colors are beautiful and fabulously pigmented, i was very impressed with the pigmentation.
from what i gather, a few other dior 5-colors are being re-released in this "new" formula. i am disappointed i didn't wait until this re-release to purchase them. it is even better than the formula previous.
(PS: hate the name of this product. "smokys"?!?!? a typo/spelling error released in mass production??!!!!)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2010 10:39:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

Mystic Smokys is probably one of the better quints Dior has released lately .. Absolutely stunning and one I can see most skin-tones/eye colors being able to put to use.

For me .. this palette is perfection because there's a nice mix of smokier colors that can be applied to achieve a variety of looks. The overall colors are more on the cool toned side, and contain a smokey gunmetal/charcoal, a deep jewel toned purple, a soft icy light pink, an icy white, and a deeper cool toned brown that has almost silvery/grey undertones. All of the shades in this quint have shimmer, fabulous color payoff and apply beautifully! This is definitely one of my better recent purchases and a palette I can see myself reaching for quite often. Raves from me! continued >>