September 2, 2014 | 1925 users online

Polishes - NARS - Purple Rain

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2014 8:19:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

This is my go-to nail polish. It's my only NARS polish, because it's not really in my price range, but I definitely need to get more of them. I'm just a sucker for purple anything, Purple Rain a dark purple with a red undertone and a very subtle magenta sheen. It's a very sophisticated purple that anyone can wear as long as you like dark colors. And I love that even though it's dark, it does not look black.

I'm horrible at applying nail polish and usually use too much or too little but Purple Rain is just so easy to work with. It glides on like nothing else, and as you know it's hard to get a metallic polish without streaks (even a dark one), but I never get any streaks with it. It's the perfect storm of a fantastic formula with a just-right brush.

Purple Rain also wears better than any other polish I have. I can use any recommended top coat, base coat, the whole nine yards, but most polishes will chip within 12 hours on me. Believe me, I've tried everything. The gel manicure is probably the only thing I can do to preserve a manicure. Usually if I take a bath or do the dishes (even with gloves!), forget it: a polish will just say eff you and chip. I can get Purple Rain to last several days by reapplying my top coat. I know that doesn't sound like much time to most people, but imagine your own manicure staying intact for a week or more and you'll get what I mean.

PS: One more thing I have to mention about why I love it, and it's very stupid: Prince. Don't judge me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Nosage

Beautiful lush sophisticated purple with delicate red particles. High shine, very glossy even without top coat. Not really a purple person but this really is gorgeous and a must have. I have Chanel Taboo, also a deep purple with similar particles/subtle glitter. That is also extremely beautiful in the bottle but which does not translate onto nails - it replicates as a dull dark purple with a merest glimmer of sparkle. It is not high shine and more expensive than the Nars. If you are undecided what to buy, my advice would be get the Nars. Only gripe, the chunky Nars bottle does not have a great handle to hold when applying the polish.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/23/2012 9:25:00 AM More reviews by designermom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my first NARS polish, and it will not be the last. I probably have over 500 bottles of nail polish in my collection (yes I have a problem), and I don't have one that compares to this polish. First, the formula is phenomenal, richly pigmented and smooth as silk. It could be a one-coater with careful application. The color is absolutely gorgeous and the shine is amazing. It is purple in all kinds of light, never black like some dark polishes. But it isn't garish, still very sophisticated. It is the perfect blend of the qualities I look for in a polish. Purple compliments my skin like nothing else, and this one is my favorite. A bit pricey, but worth it, unlike Chanel which is pricey, but the quality is not there. This one is amazing. If you love purple, it's a must have!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2012 10:35:00 PM More reviews by sterlingK

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Other

This is the only Nars polish I own, I had to have it, I love Prince and I love purple, I had no choice! It's the most beautiful purple polish I have seen, dark and intense with a hint of shimmer. It applied easily despite the horrid bottle/cap shape and was opaque in 2 coats. Would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by marybob

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

My only gripe is the blocky handle, I thought it would be a pull-off like other HE polishes. Other than that I call this *shimmering sauce of purple satisfaction*. Now if you are put off by the price try China Glaze Lets Groove for a very close dupe. I have both because my yearning for the "real thing" won out over common sense. *Must have* color in my opinion.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2012 8:03:00 PM More reviews by silvermouse

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a lovely bright royal purple - neither particularly blue nor red tinged but somewhere in the middle (does that make it a true purple?). There are flecks of blue and red shimmer in this polish but the red shimmer seems to be more obvious. It's quite dark but definitely not black - you can always tell that it's purple and thats what I love about this polish. Under a good topcoat it almost looks like a foil finish rather than a straightforward shimmer.

I got the mini version of this with a few other polishes. I found the brush to be a little small and fiddly and the formula to be quite gloopy. The first coat was very streaky but the second applied smoothly and I ended up with a nice opaque finish. I got bubbles on my right hand (ie I applied it with my non dominant hand) but the other looks fine.

I applied Chanel's extreme shine topcoat which makes the shimmer really pop.

Lovely colour and I would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2011 2:11:00 PM More reviews by aibreanx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is by far the best purple in my collection and probably the best purple I have ever seen. The colour is so rich and the shimmer is strong without being garish. It's absolutely beautiful, the perfect vampy, shimmery polish that is still chic. Few polishes come closer to perfection than Purple Rain.

In terms of the polish quality, I am blown away. It seems to have a very thin consistency but it's so smooth to apply it glides on like a dream. It's also incredibly pigmented, with proper application you could get by with just one coat. I find that it dries faster than the standard polish which is always appreciated. I'm usually able to throw on two thin coats in a hurry and be good to go. It dries so fast you don't have to worry about smudging.

In my experience, the wear time is better than OPI, China Glaze, and Essie. In my collection, only Butter London beats NARS for length of wear. I'm a student so I'm constantly typing away and too busy to constantly reapply chipped polish. Wear time is very important to me and NARS has been able to deliver.

The packaging is unique and sufficiently functional. It really stands out among other nail polish bottles but is still very chic and understated. The squared top is a little awkward to maneuver at first but you get used to it quickly. The brush applies the polish well and is not too thin or too thick like OPI.

The price is a serious downfall. This is incredibly expensive for a nail polish. Now of course we all have different interpretations of expense. At least with this product you are getting a level of quality that is pretty worthy of the price tag.

Overall, I highly recommend. The colour is stunning and the NARS formula is fantastic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2011 2:57:00 AM More reviews by kawanii

This was one of my first and is my favourite nail polish. This color is so beautiful, purple being my favourite color =] The formula is awesome and the Nars bottle packaging makes it simple. I love the material of the bottle twist cap because it's not slippery and I can have a good hold on it when applying. I love NARS Nail Polishes.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2011 5:34:00 PM More reviews by fergiefergie

Finally, my search for a rich, deep purple that doesn't look black on my very fair NW15 skin is over. I've lost count of how many dark purples I've returned, exchanged, or tossed. Nars' Purple Rain is a gorgeous deep, rich royal purple and always looks purple in all sources of light. It will never be mistaken for black, even in dim lighting. I put it on both my fingernails and toenails one week ago. It wears like iron. No chipping or peeling at all. I love it on my toes and will contintue to wear it on my toes even in business settings when I'm wearing peep-toe pumps. But on my hands, um, no, not again. Not in a business setting, not in everyday life. I'm a young 50 and try to stay hip, urban, and modern, yet age appropriate. But I, personally, do not feel age appropriate rocking Purple Rain on my fingers (why I gave it four lippies instead of five). But on my toes, absolutely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2011 8:14:00 AM More reviews by maan84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Purple Rain is a beautiful deep purple nail polish from NARS. However, I have quite a bunch of purple nail polish and this does not stand out enough to justify a repurchase. Lovely quality though. It was the first nail polish from NARS that I've tried and I'm impressed by the quality and will definitely try more colors in the future. continued >>