October 31, 2014 | 1559 users online

Treatments (Eye) - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Inuki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Unrefined Shea butter is a staple for me. I use it in my DIY eye cream and DIY cuticle and hand moisturizer.

As a rich eye cream and cuticle balm I mix unrefined Shea butter with maracuja oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil. I use this concoction on my neck during dry winter as well. To be honest, this DIY balm has been more effective at keeping my under eye area line free than a lot of HE eye creams that I have tried (Guinot, Khiels, Clinique). Most heavy oils such as rose hip and Vaseline gives me milia but shea butter and a light oil mixed together do not. HG.

Also makes a great body butter when whipped in a 1:1 ratio with an oil of choice and a small amount of beeswax.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2013 10:47:00 AM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Oh shea butter where have you been all my life and why did it take so long for me to realize you are my perfect moisturizer. I have Combo, break out prone, sensitive skin. The only time my skin stays clear is when I don't use moisturizer and not eat dairy. The dairy part is easy but when you are 41 and getting wrinkles you need moisture!! So in comes Shea butter. I discovered this after getting accidentally burned by hot glue. I prefer not to use Mineral oil based products as I believe that anything we put on our skin is absorbed by the body so I stick with natural products for everything. Since going natural with all personal products, my thyroid and endocrine problems have almost disappeared. The thing that was missing was a good face moisturizer especially in the cold months. I bought shea for my hot glue burn and ended up trying it on my face for dry patches and under my eyes. I'm amazed. No breakouts, no clogged pores just soft smooth skin. I've tried eveything from coconut oil, jojoba and even Hemp (Which I do love too but it's a dry oil).

How I use. I use Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel after washing my face with a a natural soap. The Witch hazel imparts moisture and the shea butter on top seals it in. Shea is more of a skin conditioner, not a heavy moisturizer. I also am using it on my hair on the dry ends and to smooth it down after washing. A tiny bit warmed in your hand and run it through damp hair calms the frizzies and seal in the water. You are not going to get moisture from it but it seals in moisturizer like a sealant. My Colored aging hair thanks Shea Butter!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/21/2012 8:15:00 AM More reviews by missmiracles

Am experimenting/trialling individual ingredients for facial skincare and it is becoming quite clear that I cant tolerate butters: coconut, cacao and now shea are causing fairly obvious breakouts.

I did my research and bought the best I could find in my online market (UK): unrefined, organic, raw cold pressed and fair trade.

I was hoping to use as part of a day moisturiser as shea is reputed to have a natural spf.

It melted easily in the warmth of my palms and was a bit pungent, but I'm ok with a strong smell if the benefits are there!

Next morning; the undisputable evidence: small pink pimples on forehead and cheek and a larger, hard, vocano type which is growing larger even though I have stopped using and has been joined by another.

As with another re

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 6:50:00 PM More reviews by Sheabeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Black

Well this is my first review on here and I'm glad to start with something that I love so much. Shea butter is amazing, I've suffered with acne prone skin since puberty and that's left me with skin scarring.
Being able to find something that moisturize and heals my skin, is multi-purpose, affordable and organic boarders on phenomenal for me. I highly recommend trying it, I love using it on my face, my body, my feet, my lips, my hair and even on my nails. This and African black soap are my beauty staples. Make sure you get the unrefined shea butter to get the truth benefit of it.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/17/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by Teriisatthemall

I absolutely adore unnrefined shea butter. My son (now 7) has had mild eczema since he was a baby. The flare ups would get worse during the winter months. His pediatricain recommended Aveenow which did nothing for him. During a trip to NYC, I visited Harlem and a West African lady suggested that I used this along with African black soap. I have not looked back. I use a small amount on him twice daily and he has no traces of dry skin whatsoever. I have found that it is easier to use when melted into an oil. I zap it in the microwive for a few minutes and it easily turnes into a manageable oil. I also use the oil on my face after exfoliating and my skin glows and I have seen a noticeble difference on some old acne scars. It is also perfect for an after bath moisturizer.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/9/2012 12:21:00 PM More reviews by felicitydomenech

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this stuff at the Swap Shop because I wanted to try a natural routine. I love how it works on everywhere but my face. I even used it as a warming massage oil for my bf's sore back or feet and it works great. I dont really care for the oily feeling it leaves, but here's what I wanted to get across with this review. I have very redness prone extremely sensitive skin. almost everything i have ever tried has broken me out specially everything i bought at Sephora. DO NOT USE UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER UNDER MAKEUP. I thought I was being creative using this as my primer instead of my typical eucerin redness relief soothing night creme. which is amazing and if ever gets discontinued ill cry. I broke out so bad all over my face and could not figure out why. I blamed my makeup, hormones and everything but the shea butter. I stopped wearing everything for a few days and then returned to my eucerin underneath my makeup and all better. Turns out the shea butter wasnt sinking into my skin well because of the makeup clogging everything up. My skin is back to normal. SO SHEA BUTTER GREAT FOR EVERYWHERE BUT FACE. i do occasionally put around my eyes for a night creme, but thats it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2011 5:33:00 PM More reviews by joellen989

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently bought unrefined shea butter of western african origins. Hands down, it is one of the best moisturizers I've ever used. I use it on my feet, heels, elbows, lips, eyes and the parts of my body that are growing with pregnancy. It is an extremely good moisturizer.

As much as I like unrefined shea butter, it's not for everyone. One it has a smoky smell to it that my boyfriend can't stand. I'm in the process of trying to fix the smell with essential oil. It's also greasy and heavy. I found it hard to spread when I first got it, so I added some oils and whipped it with an electric cake beater. It's much softer and easier to apply now. I also found that spraying on some Victoria Secret Body Spray does a good job of masking the scent.

For me, the effectiveness of the product is worth the drawbacks. I can't overstate what a good job it does of softening the rough spots. Next time though, I will buy shea butter from east africa instead of west africa as the smell is supposed to be better even though it has less vitamins in it. Having a vitamin rich lotion is more important for me right now than the smell because I'm pregnant and trying to fight the stretch marks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2011 10:52:00 AM More reviews by Icaria

Total discovery for me. Up until recently I wasn't really interested in *natural produts*. Last night I purshased a little tiny jar of this & OMG why did it take me so long to get this. Lips, knees, feet, cuticles are what I used it on last night & I was rewarded with soft souple skin this morning. It's often recommended for the eye area on skin care board. I'm a little hesitant to try it there since I suffer from milia. I may try it next winter when my skin usually gets to be a bit dryer. I will very likely go back & get a bigger jar since the one I have will be perfect to keep in my purse.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 3:07:00 PM More reviews by realpeak

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I use Shea Butter as a moisturizer for my entire face but seeing as this is for an eye treatment I will just review that use. It is very moisturizing and hydrating but not heavy or greasy. It's the only product I've used on my undereye area that actually feels effective. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes or give me milia like every other eyecream I tried did. It helps plump up the eye area and diminishes fine lines with extended use. 100% natural and not expensive, I cannot complain!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/16/2011 6:44:00 AM More reviews by cocoolea

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This seemed to be the most relevant section I could find to put this review in, because I was using pure shea butter as a general body and face moisturiser which included my eye area.

Well first, a little background: I've always had very good skin and almost never suffered from spots. Just a few lines but no more than you would expect for my age. My skin would sometimes feel a little dry and tight which is why I thought I would try pure unrefined shea butter, as I heard it was very good for dry skin. Everything seemed to be going ok for a couple of weeks, it was moisturising my face very well - no more dryness and tightness, but it was greasy and shiny and never really sunk in. However the skin on my body seemed to be getting drier and drier. Then I started getting small breakouts on my face and itching all over. I just put this down to dry air as the weather had just changed. The breakouts got progressively worse and I started getting massive painful deep acne cysts around my nose and cheeks which would make my face swell up! I also got a few on my shoulders and chest. At first I didn't think these breakouts were due to the shea butter because I thought that if I was going to react to it it would be everywhere the shea butter had touched my skin. But the breakouts weren't all over my face. Strange. I'm pretty sure it was the shea butter that made my skin react like this though, because nothing else changed. Whats also strange is that I've read that shea butter is non comedogenic. So now I've gone from someone who rarely wears makeup, to someone who spends an hour piling on foundation, concealer and powder before leaving the house in order to cover up these horrible scars and acne nodules/cysts. I've never suffered from acne, not even as a teenager! I've stopped using the shea butter now (stopped a week ago) and things seem to be calming down a bit. The skin on my body is starting to feel moisturised again since I switched back to a supermarket brand body lotion.

For the eye area it caused milder breakouts, barely noticeable, just lots of small whiteheads, or they might be milia, I'm not sure having never had problems like this. Unfortunately it didn't help with the lines around my eyes.

I tried it on my hair too, just a tiny amount about the size of a grain of rice as a leave in conditioner, and it just made my hair stringy, greasy and full of static. I didn't have any more success using it as a pre shampoo deep conditioning treatment, although it was easy enough to wash out.

I've used commercial products containing shea butter as one of the ingredients, and they have always been nice, but pure shea butter is not for me.