Unrefined Shea Butter

4.2

butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter

on 1/17/2015 10:30:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

From what I've seen, people either absolutely love unrefined shea butter, or they hate it. I, very fortunately, fall into the former camp.

I picked up a whole tub of unrefined shea from an old African lady at my neighborhood's street fair. She scooped it right from the shell it was in, put it in a plastic take-out container and sold it to me for $5 (!!). Dirt cheap.

I was originally going to use it for my feet, knees, elbows, or winter dry skin. I don't really remember how I transitioned from using it sparingly to slathering a thick layer all over my face but I'm glad I did.

For reference my face is awful. It's oily and my pores are almost always clogged with sebum, no matter how I wash, what I wash with, how frequently or infrequently I wash. At the same time it doesn't slough properly so I'm prone to dry flakes. I'm acne prone, extremely sensitive (break out from literally every product), I suffer from hormonal acne that more often than not are cystic in nature.

For whatever reason, one night I used shea butter on my face and I haven't looked back. It mimics the sebum of the face so my pores are NEVER clogged anymore. It's shocking that I can put such a thick layer of this butter on my face and wake up with glowing skin, not one blemish. The flakes are probably 80% reduced.

I wash my face with a salicylic cleaner and then take a dime sized amount, warm it up in my hands, and then spread over my face. I've been doing this for about 3 months now and it hasn't broken me out at all.

The only negative is that I was already sensitive to all but one type of lotion you find in the store. In the summer I use Eucerin with SPF. A week ago I used the Eucerin and within 6 hours I had 4 major cysts that had formed on my jawline.

Seems as if using all natural Shea has detoxed my face from all the chemicals I was using and now I literally can't use ANYTHING than the shea now. I guess this really isn't a negative, but not sure what's going to happen come summertime.

My friend tried this butter too and she broke out. Depends on your skin for sure.

on 8/9/2014 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Unrefined Shea butter is a staple for me. I use it in my DIY eye cream and DIY cuticle and hand moisturizer.

As a rich eye cream and cuticle balm I mix unrefined Shea butter with maracuja oil and a few drops of vitamin E oil. I use this concoction on my neck during dry winter as well. To be honest, this DIY balm has been more effective at keeping my under eye area line free than a lot of HE eye creams that I have tried (Guinot, Khiels, Clinique). Most heavy oils such as rose hip and Vaseline gives me milia but shea butter and a light oil mixed together do not. HG.

Also makes a great body butter when whipped in a 1:1 ratio with an oil of choice and a small amount of beeswax.

on 12/22/2013 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Oh shea butter where have you been all my life and why did it take so long for me to realize you are my perfect moisturizer. I have Combo, break out prone, sensitive skin. The only time my skin stays clear is when I don't use moisturizer and not eat dairy. The dairy part is easy but when you are 41 and getting wrinkles you need moisture!! So in comes Shea butter. I discovered this after getting accidentally burned by hot glue. I prefer not to use Mineral oil based products as I believe that anything we put on our skin is absorbed by the body so I stick with natural products for everything. Since going natural with all personal products, my thyroid and endocrine problems have almost disappeared. The thing that was missing was a good face moisturizer especially in the cold months. I bought shea for my hot glue burn and ended up trying it on my face for dry patches and under my eyes. I'm amazed. No breakouts, no clogged pores just soft smooth skin. I've tried eveything from coconut oil, jojoba and even Hemp (Which I do love too but it's a dry oil).

How I use. I use Thayers Alcohol free witch hazel after washing my face with a a natural soap. The Witch hazel imparts moisture and the shea butter on top seals it in. Shea is more of a skin conditioner, not a heavy moisturizer. I also am using it on my hair on the dry ends and to smooth it down after washing. A tiny bit warmed in your hand and run it through damp hair calms the frizzies and seal in the water. You are not going to get moisture from it but it seals in moisturizer like a sealant. My Colored aging hair thanks Shea Butter!!!

on 12/21/2012 8:15:00 AM

Am experimenting/trialling individual ingredients for facial skincare and it is becoming quite clear that I cant tolerate butters: coconut, cacao and now shea are causing fairly obvious breakouts.

I did my research and bought the best I could find in my online market (UK): unrefined, organic, raw cold pressed and fair trade.

I was hoping to use as part of a day moisturiser as shea is reputed to have a natural spf.

It melted easily in the warmth of my palms and was a bit pungent, but I'm ok with a strong smell if the benefits are there!

Next morning; the undisputable evidence: small pink pimples on forehead and cheek and a larger, hard, vocano type which is growing larger even though I have stopped using and has been joined by another.

As with another re

on 11/1/2012 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

Well this is my first review on here and I'm glad to start with something that I love so much. Shea butter is amazing, I've suffered with acne prone skin since puberty and that's left me with skin scarring.
Being able to find something that moisturize and heals my skin, is multi-purpose, affordable and organic boarders on phenomenal for me. I highly recommend trying it, I love using it on my face, my body, my feet, my lips, my hair and even on my nails. This and African black soap are my beauty staples. Make sure you get the unrefined shea butter to get the truth benefit of it.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely adore unnrefined shea butter. My son (now 7) has had mild eczema since he was a baby. The flare ups would get worse during the winter months. His pediatricain recommended Aveenow which did nothing for him. During a trip to NYC, I visited Harlem and a West African lady suggested that I used this along with African black soap. I have not looked back. I use a small amount on him twice daily and he has no traces of dry skin whatsoever. I have found that it is easier to use when melted into an oil. I zap it in the microwive for a few minutes and it easily turnes into a manageable oil. I also use the oil on my face after exfoliating and my skin glows and I have seen a noticeble difference on some old acne scars. It is also perfect for an after bath moisturizer.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this stuff at the Swap Shop because I wanted to try a natural routine. I love how it works on everywhere but my face. I even used it as a warming massage oil for my bf's sore back or feet and it works great. I dont really care for the oily feeling it leaves, but here's what I wanted to get across with this review. I have very redness prone extremely sensitive skin. almost everything i have ever tried has broken me out specially everything i bought at Sephora. DO NOT USE UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER UNDER MAKEUP. I thought I was being creative using this as my primer instead of my typical eucerin redness relief soothing night creme. which is amazing and if ever gets discontinued ill cry. I broke out so bad all over my face and could not figure out why. I blamed my makeup, hormones and everything but the shea butter. I stopped wearing everything for a few days and then returned to my eucerin underneath my makeup and all better. Turns out the shea butter wasnt sinking into my skin well because of the makeup clogging everything up. My skin is back to normal. SO SHEA BUTTER GREAT FOR EVERYWHERE BUT FACE. i do occasionally put around my eyes for a night creme, but thats it.

on 10/16/2011 5:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I recently bought unrefined shea butter of western african origins. Hands down, it is one of the best moisturizers I've ever used. I use it on my feet, heels, elbows, lips, eyes and the parts of my body that are growing with pregnancy. It is an extremely good moisturizer.

As much as I like unrefined shea butter, it's not for everyone. One it has a smoky smell to it that my boyfriend can't stand. I'm in the process of trying to fix the smell with essential oil. It's also greasy and heavy. I found it hard to spread when I first got it, so I added some oils and whipped it with an electric cake beater. It's much softer and easier to apply now. I also found that spraying on some Victoria Secret Body Spray does a good job of masking the scent.

For me, the effectiveness of the product is worth the drawbacks. I can't overstate what a good job it does of softening the rough spots. Next time though, I will buy shea butter from east africa instead of west africa as the smell is supposed to be better even though it has less vitamins in it. Having a vitamin rich lotion is more important for me right now than the smell because I'm pregnant and trying to fight the stretch marks.

on 9/3/2011 10:52:00 AM

Total discovery for me. Up until recently I wasn't really interested in *natural produts*. Last night I purshased a little tiny jar of this & OMG why did it take me so long to get this. Lips, knees, feet, cuticles are what I used it on last night & I was rewarded with soft souple skin this morning. It's often recommended for the eye area on skin care board. I'm a little hesitant to try it there since I suffer from milia. I may try it next winter when my skin usually gets to be a bit dryer. I will very likely go back & get a bigger jar since the one I have will be perfect to keep in my purse.

on 6/4/2011 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

I use Shea Butter as a moisturizer for my entire face but seeing as this is for an eye treatment I will just review that use. It is very moisturizing and hydrating but not heavy or greasy. It's the only product I've used on my undereye area that actually feels effective. It doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes or give me milia like every other eyecream I tried did. It helps plump up the eye area and diminishes fine lines with extended use. 100% natural and not expensive, I cannot complain!

Top Rated Treatments (Eye)