September 1, 2014 | 1944 users online

Pressed Powders - Laura Mercier - Smooth Focus Pressed Setting Powder - Shine Control

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 6:19:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is just another Pressed powder that is too whitish and must be blended very, very well. The sales aassistant applied this powder for me (at Sephora) and when I went home, my face was looking little bit white and cakey. Not the best I have seen.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by Tartlette

This powder was great. I have oily skin and have redness to cover and this product worked great for me. I don't find that it was a miracle worker in terms of my redness, but it did ever so slightly have an effect in toning it down. It was also not a miracle worker in completely stopping oil from breaking through but worked a lot better than many products that I've tried. I would still get oily but not as oily, and that was a great accomplishment. I put a thin layer on my face after foundation and actually looked very natural and didn't cling to any dry spots or settle into pores. I didn't have any problems with looking "green" or chalky. The packaging was great, sleek and sturdy. I may repurchase down the line because I did like it a lot, but I am still on the hunt to see if anything else works better for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2013 9:21:00 PM More reviews by peekachoo

Love this. Was using MAC blotting powder but it felt a bit grainy.
Don't be put off by the white colour, but i would advise to dust your face and blend with large brush after 'setting'
I use LM tinted moisturiser or similar and then 'press' this powder all over my face with the sponge. The white will be very noticeable sitting on top of your skin so take a large soft natural brush (i like MAC bronzer one) and swirl it round, dusting off excess and very lightly blending into foundation. I will then blot gently again if i need to with sponge during the day if oil starts to appear, and it doesn't upset the finish too much.
The result is a perfect matt finish without the cakey or pigmented or aged look i get if i use a normal powder.
You also dont have to fret over colour matching and oxidising.
Pricey but imo worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/8/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by kaycee66

My friend had bought this powder for her wedding, and let the bridesmaids use it. You know how it goes - you wake up at an ungodly hour to get your makeup and hair done, and are supposed to look great until midnight...right....

I've only heard and seen and been recommended to use setting powder, but I did not really think it could be that much more different than my mineral powder that I use to dust sparingly after I apply my foundation.

To my surprise, the ingredients for this powder really does "set" your face for quite some time. Mind you, during the wedding, I reapplied about 3 times. However, I use it on an almost daily basis now, especially when I know I will be putting in long hours at work.

PROs:

- It keeps my oil production at bay (though I am normal skin, I do not have oily skin)
- Only a very small amount needs to be used
- After a minute after application, my face "looks" flawless - it is matte, and seems to minimize the appearance of pores
- The pressed powder form makes it easy to use while on-the-go

CONs:

- The price is a little more expensive than some other setting powders out there
- By the 3rd application, my skin is dry and doesn't give me that beautiful, matte appearance. Understand that it is a great product, but it won't set your makeup forever!

TIPS:

- I still apply my foundation and mineral powder before I apply this
- I bring with me a small retractable brush and instead of sweeping, I pat/blot my face with the brush - I believe this ensures that the skin is absorbing it
- Use a small amount or you might look chalky

rated 1 of 5 on 9/17/2013 4:01:00 PM More reviews by 8ar8ie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Not for someone who has acne prone skin. The first ingredient listed in this powder is Ethylhexyl Palmitate. This rates a 4 (5 being the highest on the pore clogging scale).

As soon as I stopped using this along with LM oil-free tinted moisturizer, LM oil-free primer and LM Loose Setting Powder (which all contain Ethylhexyl Palmitate), my face cleared up. I just tossed all of her stuff away.

If I didn't have oily and acne prone skin, this would probably okay. But I do so...no. Definitely dislike.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2013 6:41:00 PM More reviews by madmilly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I was super excited to try this powder as my skin can look like a greasy frying pan without the correct powder over my foundation. the girl at the counter suggested this , I was curious but a bit scared as I like full coverage and this just isn't at all. although I didn't experience any shine all day which is great it made my foundation crack up and break up on my face, leaving my foundation colour blotchy with white patches. I really didn't enjoy this product and for the price tag no no no it's not good at all. I feel that you get a really small amount of product that's not great. I'm not liking the packaging of LM maybe it's just me being fussy!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

The only purpose to use this is for the absorption of facial shine. So be patient and don't use it until you have a bit of shine.
Do not waste it to 'set your makeup'.

Ignore the fact its green. I got the green version. The green does nothing - oh its just like all of the other greeny products I've been tricked into buying....

Over the last 15 years I have used a multitude of oil blotting products from decleor, clinique, clarins, body shop, mac and benefit.

My shine has diminished as I have aged, but I would still need a touch up usually every 3 hours at work (unless Im using Nars sheer matte foundation).

To cut to the chase, this is quick and easy to apply- I like the nice little case with its mirror. If you have a shine problem on my level, it soaks up the oil immediately like magic and doesn't leave my skin feeling slimey/dry/heavy. I find that after I have used it I wouldn't need to reapply for at least 4 hours.

If you put this on a low/no oil patch of skin then yes it can make you look dusty- like you were in the kitchen baking dusty. And if you put this for no sensible reason on a dry patch of skin yes you will look like a baker.

As Ive said this product is primo for sucking up shiney oil. If there is no oil it will sit there because its got no job to do.

Bottom line: the sponge is thin and soft so only dab it on your oily spots!!

You need to wash your little sponge now and then ( I use Bobbi Browns cleanser).

This is the best oil absorbing product I have come across. Its a bonus to have it in functional portable packaging.

Laura you redeemed yourself with this product. You needed to because your tinted moisturiser was just naff.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 6/27/2012 2:58:00 PM More reviews by tophuong

I got this a couple of weeks ago when I was intent to just do "concealer" and "powder", as my skin is getting fairly clear.

I haven't used it for a while but returned to it for the last few days. It caused me immediate mild breakouts, where I was getting small white block pores in areas where I don't normally/ever break out. On the second day it started to really irritate my skin. It did however keep the shine at bay, so if your skin can tolerate it great!

I read on another site that one of its ingredients is comedogenic; Ethelhexyl palmitate?

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2012 9:03:00 PM More reviews by dutchesskt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is THE BEST powder for oil and shine touch-ups during the day. I really like the MUFE translucent powder as well, but sometimes, all you have is 3 seconds to touch up your face and carrying translucent powder around is not the most practical strategy. Don't let the green color throw you off; however, don't use too much of it because it WILL look unnatural. The powder absorbs any oil immediately and gives you face a matte finish. I sometimes use it to set my foundation. My skin is not really that oily, but I find that this prevents any shine throughout the day. Simply amazing product. Can't live without it.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:19:00 AM More reviews by lhuynh10

The only setting powder that does that it's supposed to! Well, it's the only one i've used that sets your foundation and keeps you matte for more than a couple hours. It's pretty hefty of a price, but you pay for what you get. I got this upon recommendation from a friend who cheers all day, sometimes for three games. That sold it for me, when you can sweat all day and still swear by a product. (: The sponge is great, it has two sides, one for blotting and the other side a bit denser for if you really want to splatter the powder all over. I have oily skin, and i usually set this after foundation in the morning, sometimes again later in the day. It doesn't make me look cakey, it's fine powder. The green color does look weird at first, and it doesn't really correct any redness, the powder just goes on translucent. The compact is very sleek. No regrets!