October 22, 2014 | 2006 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Desert Essence - Fragrance Free Hand and Body Lotion

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 11:12:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

I've only been using this product a few days, but I already see results. I have sensitive skin with very rough dry patches on my arms, especially during winter. I decided to use this when I read up on dimethicone and how it is better used for protecting skin, rather than in a moisturizer. No matter how much I exfoliated and moisturized, my arms still had scaly patches and clogged pores/bumps and I realized that dimethicone was the active ingredient, so I decided to find an affordable yet natural lotion to see if that made a difference. I first got the coconut scented version of this, but it's very heavily scented and would probably suit better in the summertime. After just 4 days, the scaly bumps and clogged pores on my arms are slowly but surely disappearing and my skin stays soft until I shower again. The scaly patches are getting better and my skin just feels healthier. Plus, the fact that it's all-natural ingredients make me feel much better about putting it on my skin, rather than chemicals. I guess because I'm so used to lotions packed with slippery silicones, I was slightly annoyed with how thick it was, and it took some hefty squeezing to get out of the bottle at first. Definitely would be better suited to a bottle with a pump. When you first start rubbing it in, it's white like sunscreen, but absorbs quickly and takes just a smidge more effort to rub in. It has a very aloe-esque scent to me, but it disappears quickly once it absorbs. It does make my skin softer, but if you get very dry in the winter, the shea butter might suit you better and I intend to look for it. Overall, I'm very pleased to have found this!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/30/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by blueskies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First a few general words. This lotion is slightly thick, but very easy to spread and it absorbs relatively quickly. Despite being fragrance free, it definitely has a light floral scent, I'm guessing from the honeysuckle extract. This did not bother me, but I can see how someone who wants a truly scent free product would be annoyed.

I found this to provide very little moisture compared to similar lotions and this is why I'm giving it a low rating. Using this is akin to using nothing, especially on very dry skin (e.g. on hands). Another big minus, this lotion burns when applied on rough or chapped skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by bluenote

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After applying this lotion generously to my hands, they seem more prone to cuts and bruises (too soft?). I also hate that SD alcohol is one of the first five ingredients. But I love the natural, light honeysuckle fragrance and, tired of tender hands, I apply it to my hair as a leave-in conditioner and it works fantasticlly. No frizz, softer & shinier hair, and it's not heavy or sticky in the least. Trying to use up the whole tube before it goes bad can be a bit tricky.

The Desert Essence Website is also running a promo for Earth Day:
Take 25% OFF Any Purchase!
Promo Code: EARTHDAY
Expires: 04/30/12

rated 4 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:56:00 AM More reviews by youampersandme

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this on sale for less than 5 USD and was pleasantly surprised. This is nicely moisturizing for my normal to dry skin without being greasy. I'm glad that Desert Essence chose to make a lotion without added fragrances or perfumes, but the unmasked scent of the ingredients isn't great -- not terrible, but not great (thankfully, it's not a lingering fragrance). Overall, I'm happy with this product but I probably won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/20/2011 10:26:00 PM More reviews by mkpecoraro

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Despite the fact this is fragrance free it still has scent which is not very pleasing. I did get "used" to it after awhile. It is not greasy and does the job if you really do not want fragrance.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2010 10:11:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I was thrilled to find a more natural body lotion that was fragrance free, since so many are strongly fragranced. Unfortunately, I'm not that impressed with the actual product. I find this lotion thick and nongreasy but more waxy than moisturizing, and it isn't moisturizing enough for the dryness induced by winter cold, especially on my hands. My body lotion search continues.
Ingredients: Aqueous Infusion of Certified Organic Extracts: Organic Green Tea Leaf, Organic Olive Leaf and Organic Sea Kelp, Certified Organic Sunflower Seed Oil, Certified Organic Jojoba Seed Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Certified Organic Shea Butter Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, Certified Organic Carnauba Wax, Vegetable Emulsifying Wax, Stearic Acid, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate. continued >>