April 23, 2014 | 1870 users online

Palettes - TheBalm - Shady Lady Vol. 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2013 11:32:00 AM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I am a total fan of TheBalms shadows and The Shady Lady 2 I think is a lovely palette and I am very happy that I purchased this. I find there shadows to be highly pigmented and the liner shades work as liners and shadows very well. The colours are soft and buttery and this goes easily into my top 5 favorite shadows. Urban Decay being my #1 but this is darn good if I do say so myself.

I love Devilish Danielle it is a great base colour and the shimmer isn't too crazy. For eyeliner I love Makeout Mary the most being that I have green eyes this is a great shade to bring out their color. Also Caught in the Act Courtney is great for green eyed girls. What is great about this is there is a colour for any eye shade that will make them stand out. Just This Once Jaimie and Insane Jane are awesome crease shades. I also love to highlight the inner eye with Tempting Tara.

These shadows are very pigmented and apply very well. I have used them with TheBalm and Urban Decay PP and find the shadows work well with either one. Even without primer they are super pigmented and will last me quite a long time. I purchased mine at KOHLS for 20% off which was groovy but I would of payed full price because I like and enjoy it that much. The packaging is good I mean it's cute and it holds up pretty well. I love the Zebra and I'm not usually an animal print fan also the mirror is a good size.

TheBalm makes some good products and this palette is one of them to me. I enjoy working with these shades and they last a long time without creasing. They are very soft and blend very well. I use MAC and I have 2 of their brushes and this shadow is very easy to pick up product and applies just lovely. So Recommended!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2012 12:33:00 AM More reviews by shordeecat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this when there was the 3 for $40 sale. When it came in the mail I was excited because there has been so much hype lately. I found it pigmented but incredible powdery. Major fall out. I also found all the colors way too neutral and all of them were shimmery. Anyone that purchase cosmetics as much as I do know shimmery colors are cheaper because shimmer is a filler. For $40 for 3 I found the price to be alright, not cheap (for the quality). I did like the packaging because there was a mirror.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2012 11:09:00 PM More reviews by weezee111

LOVE! Just like the Shady Lady 1 palette, the colors have great payoff and very nice texture- soft, smooth and velvety. Once again, TheBalm has put together a nice palette with great color choices that you could use every day for shadow and liner. Well done, TheBalm!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/19/2012 6:22:00 PM More reviews by mararum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I like the packaging. It's very compact. I would feel safe with throwing it in my purse. The mirror's nice except it doesn't stand up very well, which undermines the usefulness. The eyeshadow stains the cardboard after a couple of uses.

The colors don't wear very long for me without primer; with primer, they lasted eight hours with some creasing. The colors aren't very glittery or loud; they tend to lean towards fall/dark colors. I have all three Shady Lady palettes and think this is the most neutral and well-coordinated of the three.

The texture's nice. It's almost too buttery. I have fall-out from using my brushes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2012 2:17:00 PM More reviews by sara942

Another vote in favor of this -- and all -- theBalm eyeshadow palettes. I own all 3 volumes and they're the best eyeshadows I've ever used. I also love that the palette comes with an over-sized mirror and protective sleeve; great for travel. These are super pigmented and have a buttery texture that applies evenly and blends easily. Volume 2 is great for people who like taupe-y colors but also has a few good highlight and base shades. All are soft shimmers; no mattes and no crazy glittery shades. All of the colors are beautiful and the darker shades transition well into eyeliners if you wet them. The pan sizes are very generous; each one is easily as big as a full-size UD or MAC shadow, so it's a great deal!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 1:28:00 PM More reviews by TuttaPanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a great collection of 9 shadows which are a usable mix of neutrals and colors, darks and lights. Everything is nice and muted and all of the colors complement each other and can easily be combined together.
The shadows go on very smoothly and have lots of pigment so only a little is needed (at least on my skin, NW15). They have either a "glowy" satin finish or slight shimmer, and the dark brown shadow has subtle, very fine gold glitter in it.
This would be a great palette to take on a trip - plenty of shadows in one place for daytime and evening looks in a compact palette.
The only thing I'd change about this palette is the packaging. The palette closes with a magnet and fits into a cardboard sleeve, which holds it securely shut, but it's a bit of a pain to get it out. If I were traveling with it, I'd secure the palette with a rubber band.
Otherwise this was a good deal (I found it on Groupon of all places, for $19) and I would buy this again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2012 11:14:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

theBalm's Shady Lady Vol. 2 is a nine pan eyeshadow palette from this San Francisco based, vintage themed brand. theBalm used to be available at Sephora, but is currently only available from their website, and occasionally at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. I won this palette as a giveaway prize. This palette retails for $39.50. Its unclear whether or not theBalm does animal testing. I've seen conflicting information about it, so do your own research on the brand before deciding to use their products. I can tell you that these shadows are not vegan though. This palette was made in the USA and contains 17 grams of eyeshadow
Shady Lady Volume 2 comes packaged in a zebra print palette that flips open to reveal the nine shadows, and a rather large mirror. The palette is made of sturdy cardboard. Aside from the zebra print, the cover of the palette features the name "Shady Lady" written in cursive, and a silhouette of a pin up model. This palette comes in a matching cardboard sleeve that I'll probably toss out, now that I've reviewed it. Though there's no mention of it, because of Shady Lady being made of cardboard, it's safe to assume that this palette is recyclable.
I'll be reviewing each of the ~Shady Ladies~ individually. Each of the shadows has been named after a different naughty girl. Swatches can be seen here.
Mischievous Marissa is a frosty gold that's beautifully pigmented and applies very smooth. It's fairly warm and I think would be very complimentary to blue eyes. I've also used this shade very lightly on my cheeks, it gives a nice glow.
Tempting Tara is a shimmery, bright white that's surprisingly pigmented. I have a hard time finding use for this shade because it's just so stark white. Much too pigmented to use as a highlight.
Devilish Danielle is a shadow I use a lot, mostly for highlighting, but also as an all over wash of peachy-beige color. You could probably use this as a facial highlighter if you apply it lightly.
Just this once, Jamie is a is a grey-mauve with a frosty finish. I get bunches of use from this shadow, as I think it compliments my dark brown eyes really well.
Make Out Mary is a bright, frosty olive green. My boyfriend really likes the name of this shadow, for obvious reasons. It's definitely the brightest and most unique color in the palette. It's smack in the middle of the palette, so it really looks like the stand out shade.
Bossy Bobbi is a medium blue with a grey tint. It also has a slight indigo quality to it in some lights. I think I use this shadow the least out of all the shades. It just doesn't fit in with the rest of them. It is pretty though.
Caught in the Act Courtney is a medium coffee brown with lots of gold sparkle. This is the palette's first disappointment. At first swatch it seems quite pigmented, but once applied, its very sheer. However, the gold glitter is pressed in the shadow well, so it doesn't product fall out. This shadow performs ok when used wet as a liner.
Feisty Felicia is a plummy, blackened purple with pink glitter. It has all the same issues as Courtney, with a drier, harder texture. I guess theBalm just doesn't do glitter shadows well
Insane Jane, is in my opinion, the best shade in the palette. It's extremely richly pigmented, so much so that it's almost metallic in finish. This shadow is a grey-leaning taupe. I get so much use from this shadow. It's beautiful.
Aside from the two glittery shadows, which definitely aren't theBalm's strong suit, these shadows have a uniform texture that's soft, and smooth with super pigmentation. All of the shadows are very frosty. I think theBalm should've included a matte shade, for variety's sake.
The shadows in Shady Lady 2 are all neutral-ish with a twist, which is the kind of neutral I like. I feel like the color selection in this palette is spot on, with the exception of Bobbi, which I think could've been replaced with a brighter shade, once again for variety's sake.
Unfortunately I have some wear issues with these shadows. On your average day, these shadows have average wear, no creasing, and a bit of fading towards the end of the day. However, these shadows can't take the heat. They're pretty much gone after a 6-8 hour work shift. These shadows are great, unless you plan to spend 8 hours standing over a deep fryer or oven.
Overall, Shady Lady 2 is a really good, basic palette that I often reach. The majority of these shadows are excellent and wear well under normal conditions. They're pretty expensive though, coming in at $40 for the palette, or $16 individually, which for me is entirely ridiculous. However, if you find this palette at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, it'll probably run you about $13, and for that price, you definitely need to pick this palette up. I'd repurchase it for that price, but not at full price.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/15/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by vmalenfant

I heard a lot of good comment on TheBalm eyeshadows, one of them was they were smooths as Le metier de beaute eyeshadows. And i have to say i think the comparison is not the far fetch! And when you compare prices TheBalm win hand down!
The only miss in this pallette is the packaging (I dont really like the cardboard, like benefit, this do not attract me)
As for as colours I love the colours offer in this volume
The best are those following:
Caught in the Act Courtney is dark chocolate brown with soft red undertones
Feisty Felicia is darkened plum-black with silver flecks of shimmer
Makeout Mary is a yellowed khaki olive green with a golden shimmer-sheen
Just This Once Jamie is a pink-mauve with silver shimmer and sheen
I did purchase the other 2 volumes after a week or so after buying Vol 2 and do not regret it. I was scared when I received Vol 3 with Makeout Mary and Just this once Jamie and Runaround Rebecca and Come-Hither Heather are really similar but Rebecca is more kaki and Heather is more taupe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by maan84

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Shady Lady Vol. 2 is one of my favorite palettes. It has many wearable colors and the quality is excellent. The shadows are well pigmented and are extremely long lasting. I use this palette almost every week and that says a lot considering that I have quite many eye shadows to choose from. I like the packaging, it's cute and different and there's a mirror. The only downside is the fact that there is no brush included, however I always use my own brushes so that's not a problem for me. My favorite colors in the palette are: insane jane, just this once jamie and makeout mary. I highly recommend this excellent palette from TheBalm. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 12/29/2011 10:35:00 AM More reviews by MRSOB

I was lucky enough to find this as well as Volumes 1 and 3 at TJ Maxx/Marshalls for $12.99 or less. This is my first experience with eyeshadows from TheBalm and I am impressed. Highly pigmented, good staying power and the shadows work very well when mixed with water for liquid eyeliner. I use these shadows on top of any of these: UD Primer Potion, Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Benefit Stay Don't Stray or Laura Geller Eye Spackle. My only complaint is I wish there were some matte colors available in any of these palettes. I doubt I would pay the regular price of $39.50 but for $12.99 I would definitely repurchase.