Stridex Maximum Strength Soft Touch Pads Alcohol Free (Red jar/box)

Active Ingredient: Purpose: Salicylic acid 2.0% (w/w) Acne Medication Inactive Ingredients: Ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium xylenesulfonate, citric acid, DMDM hydantoin, fragrance, menthol, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, purified water, simethicone, sodium borate, tetrasodium EDTA.

on 3/25/2015 2:22:00 AM

This is overall a really great product.

The product comes in a jar with soaked thin cotton pads.The jar of 90 pads cost around 6 dollars. I'm in college so this is an OK price. I'm still saving up on buying PC BHA 2% solution.

I apply this before bed and let it sit for about 20-30 min. This last step is very important. It needs time to work. After the waiting time I proceed as normal with my procedure. I have dry skin so at winter this did dry my skin but I still kept using it and dealt with the dryness by putting on more moisturizer and putting this on every other day.

I wish it was more effective with my sebaceous filaments. It did clear up my annoying pimples/occasional acne that used to be here and there on my face really well. My face is also nicely exfoliated when I wake up. Especially around the nostril area.

Overall rating 4/5

Pro:

* Really works removing/combating pimples
* affordable
* exfoliating

Con:

*Wish it did a better job removing my sebaceous filaments.
*drying in winter but nothing a good moisturizer can't handle.

This is a good product for oily skin. Dry skins can use this as well depending on how dry. The trick is not using it twice a day but finding a time span that fits your skin type. Oily skin could use this once a day but dry maybe every other or third.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Great price, doesn't burn your skin, smell isn't too bad. I started using this after noticing my BP cream wasn't working, and unfortunately this broke me out more after using it for one week. My skin is more oily and I've noticed it gave me whiteheads and irritated some bumps. I wouldn't recommend it for people with oily skin.

on 3/17/2015 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Not for everyone. Broke me out, maybe I have to use the sensitive skin one. Everything else is fine about the product. Price point is cool, as is the packaging. Just kinda difficult not to take out two at once ._.

on 3/9/2015 8:29:00 PM

ALL HAIL STRIDEX RED BOX

Seriously, after years of cystic acne that was just spreading and spreading and in the urgency to remove it my outlandish treatments were getting ridiculous (why did baking soda ever seem like a good idea, sigh). My skin was in constant pain and I wanted to cry every time I looked in a mirror without makeup. I finally decided to start really researching skincare a few months ago and learned so so much (sca I'm looking at you) and picked up these on iherb - I live in the UK so I have to get them shipped to me.

Purging period sucked. I knew I just had to stick it out but my God my face was a MESS for the first couple of weeks with this. But then slowly but surely, I started to clear. My face isn't perfect now, but it's a damn sight better than it was and as part of a more extensive routine and steely determination I will eventually have skin I'll be proud of. I'll never be grateful enough for stridex and sca.

on 12/22/2014 7:56:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Holy butts, you guys. All hail Stridex (and r/skincareaddiction, the people responsible for me finding these delightful little pads)! After the Laura Mercier Mineral Powder foundation wreaked havoc on my skin, I was left with hard cystic acne nodules all over my face and an accompanying feeling of despair.
Well, Stridex to the rescue. I became diligent about washing my face every single night, following up by swiping one of these pads all over my face and chest, waiting 15 minutes, and then applying moisturizer and a spot treatment. I can truly credit these pads with helping clear up my horrible acne - it even got rid of a few gross bumps (chacne?) on my chest! I have and will continue to repurchase these for the foreseeable future.
$ saving tip: cut each pad in half to make 'em last longer

on 6/14/2014 3:56:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

I have very dry and sensitive skin. I get hormonal acne and closed comedones. This product is very nice. I cleanse my skin, dry my face and apply it. I wait 5-15 minutes and then CLEANSE IT OFF with water. That's right washing it off helps prevent flakes and then i continue with my skin care routine. This really helped with the weird bumps on my forehead I get when the weather changes.

on 6/14/2014 3:12:00 AM

I purchased this product to help reduce my sebaceous filaments, and while I don't think it is succeeding at that, it still seems to helping my skin a lot. I agree with others that it feels uncomfortable on the skin and makes your face shiny. My solution it to use it right before bed. I don't feel it, and I don't care what it looks like! :) This has replaced a benzoyl peroxide wash I was using. I learned on /r/skincareaddiction that medicated washes are not effective because the active ingredient needs to stay on your skin for longer than 30 seconds. These pads are also way easier to use and more convenient than a wash. One thing to remember is to wait at least 15-30 minutes after application before using a moisturizer, etc. because other products will change the pH level and the Stridex won't be as effective. Another tip: cut the pads in half and one jar will last you a long time.

I have repurchased these pads multiple times. However to be clear, these did not work for my face. Very irritating for me (stinging, itchiness, redness) However I have used these to keep my feet and elbows smooth as well as on my underarms when dealing with ingrown hairs. Occasionally I have applied them to breakouts on my back and chest.They do come in handy and the supply seemed to last quite a long time. Also side note, it seems there has always been a coupon on the box to cut off and the expiration date is enough in advance so I know by the time I need another box it will still be of use.

on 5/23/2014 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I love everything about this product! The purging period really sucked, but in the end it has really helped to clear up my cheeks, which used to be consistently clogged. I always make sure to leave it on for 20 minutes before I put on a moisturizer, and that does make my skin feel very dry. I haven't had any other drying issues with this product, though. After I moisturize, my skin feels like it normally does and does not carry any dryness over into the next day at all. I really can't see my routine without this!

on 11/18/2013 4:45:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I was very surprised at how much I liked these pads. The menthol isn't working for me though, I think it dries me out too much, but it doesn't break me out otherwise. Salicylic acid also has some mild anti inflammatory properties so it actually soothes my redness and rosacea problems while unclogging my pores. (I had some closed comedones on my forehead.) Because I have mildly dry skin to begin with, over use can dry me out quick. But it's worth checking out, especially for the price and ease of availability.

It's not written on the packaging, but wash your face and let your face fully dry before using. Excess water can mess with the product. Before applying anything else, wait until it's dry or 10 mins or so--either or works fine.

I plan on trying some Silk Naturals BHA toner since it doesn't have menthol. But I'll keep these around for my body and occasional face use. (And also for my husband.)

Popular Treatments (Face)