Atralin

4.4

Active ingredient: tretinoin. Inactive ingredients: benzyl alcohol, butyl paraben, butylated hydroxytoluene, carbomer 940, ethyl paraben, fish collagen hydrolyzates, glycerin, iso-butyl paraben, methylparaben, octoxynol 9, phenoxyethanol, propylparaben, purified water, sodium hyaluronate, and trolamine.

I had clear beautiful skin until I turned 49 and then menopause hit. Full blown acne from forehead to neck. My doc started me on Atralin and told me it would get worse before it got better. It got worse, much worse, and then the miracle happened my skin cleared up completely after 4 months. I had no irritation, no peeling, no redness. I have barely made a dent in the tube and I have been using it every single night for 6 months so it's well worth the expense (my insurance did not cover it). Excellent product.

This will be more of a skin care log that works it's way up to a full review. I have combination skin with an oilier t-zone and drier patches around my nose and mouth. A few months ago, I finished a five-month course of accutane, which cleared up my cystic acne pretty well. My derm recommended that I use this gel to prevent future breakouts. As of now, I have a new cluster of tiny,red bumps on my forehead and temples. Tonight is my first night using the product!
Day 1: I washed my face using CeraVe Foaming Cleanser, and followed it up with a pea size of the Atralin, followed by my usual Clinique Moisture Surge. It came out of an annoyingly wasteful tube as a clear, yellowish gel. I dotted it on my problem areas, and gently massaged it in. The first thing I noticed was that it didn't sting, itch, or burn. It actually felt really hydrating!I'm feeling optimistic about this stuff. I may even be able to use it without moisturizer, but I wouldn't recommend it. Moisturizing even the oiliest skin is an important step.
First impressions: seems to hydrate without irritating, can't comment on the price(I have sample tubes), the packaging is pretty bad. Too much comes out of the tube, resulting in waste.
Day 2: I woke up today to see that my breakout was reduced by more than 50%!I was ecstatic. The skin where the little bumps appeared was less red and a lot more smooth.
My makeup went on a lot more smoothly, and has a subtle glow to it. I can't wait to see
if this helps the large pores, redness, and bumps on the sides of my nose. I've actually looked into the ingredients, and thought I'd fill everyone in on what makes this product stand out from other topical acne meds. As it says on the packaging, it contains 0.05% tretinoin gel, which is a form of vitamin A. To counteract the possible drying effects of atralin, a few other ingredients are included. A few moisturizing ones are glycerin, sodium hyaluronate(commonly known as hyaluronic acid), fish collagen, and trolamine. Glycerin and hyaluranic acid are commonly known, but fish collagen hydrolyzates and trolamine intrigued me. Apparently, the former helps with elasticity and moisture, but the other one seems a bit worrisome. One the one hand, research claims it is a safe ph balancer. However, amines like this can create nitrosamines, chemical compounds that are carcinogenic. If I can directly quote Paula Begoun on this ingredient, "there is controversy as to whether this poses a real problem for skin, given the low concentrations used in cosmetics and the theory that nitrosamines cannot penetrate skin." I may have to look into this. As a side note, remember to wear your spf with this! At the moment, I'm using Neutrogena Free and Clear SPF 50. A bit of a white cast, but it is an effective, gentle sunscreen.
Day 3: I missed an application!
Day 4: I can definitely tell a difference as far as clarity goes. I didn't use the product last night. I will be using it consistently from now on.

*Review will be updated daily!

on 9/10/2014 11:55:00 PM

Yo. The first few months are gonna be ROUGH. You'll experience an influx of painful, cystic acne. Embarrassing. You will want to fake sick to get out of going to school. You will avoid going out with your friends out of fear of group photos. You will constantly find a mirror to see if your makeup is okay (which it never will be).

These feelings and the experience with the medication are temporary. 3 months tops. Seriously!

What's important is that Atralin promotes long lasting results. I have been using this product for almost 9 months, and for the first time in my life I do not fall asleep worrying that I will wake up with a fat pimple. I've had problems with acne since I was 13, and now at 24, I can finally say my battle is over... and I won. Can you believe it? I won.

A combination of Atralin, PDT (a light therapy treatment -- look that ish up), and Effalcar Duo by La Roche was the successful cocktail for me.

I rarely wear makeup, and the scarring/hyperpigmentation I have is quite minimal considering the abuse my skin has suffered for over 10 years.

Stick it out with the Atralin. It will ABSOLUTELY get worse before it gets better. See it through. Find your best friend and tell them how frustrating and depressing it is to have problematic skin. They'll hear you out and understand entirely. The best thing you can do is to talk about it, and explain to those close to you that you are aware of the condition of your skin, you are working on it, and it's NOT your fault. Everyone has something they wish they could change in an instant. For those of you reading this post, I'll bet that if given the chance, your skin would be different if it could be.

Have patience. You've got this.

on 9/3/2014 11:47:00 PM

This is a miracle cream! I had bad acne in high school, but it went away in my late teens. Then all of a sudden it came back full force in my twenties. I didn't even want to leave my house. I am 27, Caucasian and have combination skin, which makes treatment difficult. I tried everything and even resorted to tanning beds since that seemed to help a little. Finally I found a derm that prescribed Atralin. It has changed my life. I started using this cream two years ago, and haven't warn makeup since. My skin glows. One tube lasts over a year, and between coupons and insurance, you should be able to get this for $25-$60. Disclaimer: Use as prescribed! I read many reviews that said it made their face breakout terribly and cause dry skin so they quit. For most, it WILL make your skin worse before it gets better! I had 3-4 weeks of the worst acne and dry skin I could imagine. It's as if it takes a few weeks to 'dig up' all of the bacteria, like a detox for your face. But IT WORKS! All of a sudden I had amazing clear skin. If you can get through a few weeks of bad acne, you will come out on the other side with the perfect complexion. I will never stop using this product.

on 4/7/2014 3:15:00 PM

I've been on this for 4 weeks. The first 2 weeks, everything was on the up and up, then on the third week I started getting deep white heads that wouldn't pop easily and left scabby marks all over my cheeks and chin. I read about the initial break outs people get, but now I'm on week 4 and still having trouble. I plan to hang in there a little longer, hoping this is just the purging phase.

Good part: Even though I'm breaking out worse then ever, it all clears up quickly. It feels like my skin is in super-regenerative mode, which is good. It's made it very smooth and make-up goes on easier. Really hoping this helps!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this stuff. I've had oily, acne-prone skin almost my whole life. But now, in my 30s, I'm seeing signs of aging, too. Yay. My skin is pretty tough so it can handle the power in this tube, but even I had to gradually ease into using it. At first, after using it a couple nights in a row, my skin was sensitive and sore. So I waited to use it again when my skin calmed down. I did this until my skin got used to it, space out usage then increase frequency. I still don't use it daily, mostly because I'm lazy and I like trying other products. (I do not use anything else while this is on my face except maybe a mild moisturizer when the weather calls for it.) Also, I don't want to over sensitize my skin. I like to let it rest. The tretinoin in this is a great exfoliator, helps clear out my enlarged pores, and my face always looks firmer the next day. I use this in conjunction with another topical prescription containing benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin. The combo really helps my blackheads and I hardly breakout now. My pores aren't smaller but the blackheads are less noticeable. (Incidentally, I like Clinique's gel moisturizers to deal with any flakiness from the Atralin.)

I'm a skin care junkie, but retinoids are the only products I've ever used that actually made a visible difference in lines and firmness. It's no miracle in a bottle/tube, but at least it actually works. If you find Atralin strong, I recommend applying a very thin layer, like pea-size for the whole face. It will still work well. You really don't need much and it lasts a long time. With insurance, it's far more cost effective than luxury creams. If you don't need/want Rx strength, I like Neutrogena retinol, which I kept applying a thick layer of to some deepening frown lines and they softened to almost nothing. (This was before I went back to the derm) Anyway, my 2 cents. Everyone's skin is different. Ask your derm for a handful of the little sample tubes of Atralin if you wanna try before you buy. And, pretty please, use sunscreen or hyperpigmentation spots will replace your acne spots.

on 11/13/2013 9:36:00 PM

Atralin worked well for my skin. Basically, over the summer months I began developing severe cystic acne on my cheeks, forehead, chin and neck. I never had a issue with cystic acne before and not in multiple crops. My acne was secondary to a combination of stress, eating junk, and hormones. I got a prescription for Spironolactone and Minocycline as well as started using Nubian heritage African black soap.

So I am on week 8 of using this gel. Initially I suffered a purge in which I have even MORE cysts. It was really hard and depressing, I won't lie. At one point, I was going to my derm every week for multiple corticosteroid injections because I couldn't deal with looking at my face in the mirror sans makeup. Once I hit week 7, my skin finally calmed down and I only have one small pimple on my chin! My skin is very smooth albeit scarred. It takes 12 weeks to see the full effect based on clinical trials done by the company who makes this product. Only con is that my skin is super oily and I'm going through an oil blotting sheet every hour! I think that the gel component is what makes skin more oily, I don't know but I'd rather have smooth blemish free skin and just deal with the oiliness.

I'm just happy this worked thus far because the next step was Accutane which I'm deathly scared of!

on 10/19/2013 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I got a sample of this and the generic .01% from the pharmacy, which I reviewed. I'm only here to say that this was better, though overall Retin A is just not my favorite thing. I wanted it so badly and probably if it was this brand it would be better, but I'm too sensitive for this, it just doesn't agree with me. Also you can badly damage your skin for a long time if you aren't careful and use this sparingly. Good luck.

on 9/17/2013 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Atralin changed my life. I used it for two years to help clear up problem skin, that turned out just being an allergic reaction to sulfur, but still atralin helped my skin look beautiful and smooth. I took a break from it, thinking I didn't need it once I cut sulfur out of my life, but after getting milia around my chin decided to give it a go again. Atralin completely got rid of the milia within two weeks. The first time I started atralin I had a little peeling around my nose/chin, but it went away soon enough to reveal beautiful skin. The second time I started it, I had no side effects. I love what it has done to completely eliminate all the blackheads I had around my nose. I recommend this product for anyone who wants smooth, perfect skin even if you're in between acne and wrinkles!

on 9/6/2013 1:45:00 AM

I love this acne gel. I noticed it start working after my first use. My acne has completely gone away. I had hormonal acne that wasn't going away with anything over the counter so I got on this a little over a year ago. A little goes a long way, I still have half the product left. I do notice my acne start to come back if I don't use it for 5-7 days but once the acne is gone you really only need to use it every 2-3 days.

Popular Treatments (Face)