August 1, 2014 | 1843 users online

Treatments (Face) - Atralin

rated 3 of 5 on 4/7/2014 3:15:00 PM More reviews by 30goingon16

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been on this for 4 weeks. The first 2 weeks, everything was on the up and up, then on the third week I started getting deep white heads that wouldn't pop easily and left scabby marks all over my cheeks and chin. I read about the initial break outs people get, but now I'm on week 4 and still having trouble. I plan to hang in there a little longer, hoping this is just the purging phase.

Good part: Even though I'm breaking out worse then ever, it all clears up quickly. It feels like my skin is in super-regenerative mode, which is good. It's made it very smooth and make-up goes on easier. Really hoping this helps!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2013 11:25:00 PM More reviews by hanging_garden

I love this stuff. I've had oily, acne-prone skin almost my whole life. But now, in my 30s, I'm seeing signs of aging, too. Yay. My skin is pretty tough so it can handle the power in this tube, but even I had to gradually ease into using it. At first, after using it a couple nights in a row, my skin was sensitive and sore. So I waited to use it again when my skin calmed down. I did this until my skin got used to it, space out usage then increase frequency. I still don't use it daily, mostly because I'm lazy and I like trying other products. (I do not use anything else while this is on my face except maybe a mild moisturizer when the weather calls for it.) Also, I don't want to over sensitize my skin. I like to let it rest. The tretinoin in this is a great exfoliator, helps clear out my enlarged pores, and my face always looks firmer the next day. I use this in conjunction with another topical prescription containing benzoyl peroxide/clindamycin. The combo really helps my blackheads and I hardly breakout now. My pores aren't smaller but the blackheads are less noticeable. (Incidentally, I like Clinique's gel moisturizers to deal with any flakiness from the Atralin.)

I'm a skin care junkie, but retinoids are the only products I've ever used that actually made a visible difference in lines and firmness. It's no miracle in a bottle/tube, but at least it actually works. If you find Atralin strong, I recommend applying a very thin layer, like pea-size for the whole face. It will still work well. You really don't need much and it lasts a long time. With insurance, it's far more cost effective than luxury creams. If you don't need/want Rx strength, I like Neutrogena retinol, which I kept applying a thick layer of to some deepening frown lines and they softened to almost nothing. (This was before I went back to the derm) Anyway, my 2 cents. Everyone's skin is different. Ask your derm for a handful of the little sample tubes of Atralin if you wanna try before you buy. And, pretty please, use sunscreen or hyperpigmentation spots will replace your acne spots.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2013 9:36:00 PM More reviews by 161934

Atralin worked well for my skin. Basically, over the summer months I began developing severe cystic acne on my cheeks, forehead, chin and neck. I never had a issue with cystic acne before and not in multiple crops. My acne was secondary to a combination of stress, eating junk, and hormones. I got a prescription for Spironolactone and Minocycline as well as started using Nubian heritage African black soap.

So I am on week 8 of using this gel. Initially I suffered a purge in which I have even MORE cysts. It was really hard and depressing, I won't lie. At one point, I was going to my derm every week for multiple corticosteroid injections because I couldn't deal with looking at my face in the mirror sans makeup. Once I hit week 7, my skin finally calmed down and I only have one small pimple on my chin! My skin is very smooth albeit scarred. It takes 12 weeks to see the full effect based on clinical trials done by the company who makes this product. Only con is that my skin is super oily and I'm going through an oil blotting sheet every hour! I think that the gel component is what makes skin more oily, I don't know but I'd rather have smooth blemish free skin and just deal with the oiliness.

I'm just happy this worked thus far because the next step was Accutane which I'm deathly scared of!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

I got a sample of this and the generic .01% from the pharmacy, which I reviewed. I'm only here to say that this was better, though overall Retin A is just not my favorite thing. I wanted it so badly and probably if it was this brand it would be better, but I'm too sensitive for this, it just doesn't agree with me. Also you can badly damage your skin for a long time if you aren't careful and use this sparingly. Good luck.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 1:55:00 PM More reviews by trishz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Atralin changed my life. I used it for two years to help clear up problem skin, that turned out just being an allergic reaction to sulfur, but still atralin helped my skin look beautiful and smooth. I took a break from it, thinking I didn't need it once I cut sulfur out of my life, but after getting milia around my chin decided to give it a go again. Atralin completely got rid of the milia within two weeks. The first time I started atralin I had a little peeling around my nose/chin, but it went away soon enough to reveal beautiful skin. The second time I started it, I had no side effects. I love what it has done to completely eliminate all the blackheads I had around my nose. I recommend this product for anyone who wants smooth, perfect skin even if you're in between acne and wrinkles!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 1:45:00 AM More reviews by Tay8000

I love this acne gel. I noticed it start working after my first use. My acne has completely gone away. I had hormonal acne that wasn't going away with anything over the counter so I got on this a little over a year ago. A little goes a long way, I still have half the product left. I do notice my acne start to come back if I don't use it for 5-7 days but once the acne is gone you really only need to use it every 2-3 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2013 9:52:00 PM More reviews by marthamihm

Stay the course! This took almost 10 weeks to "work". My skin got worse before it got better but it was worth it. My skin tone, melasma, fine lines and acne are remarkably Improved. You only need a dab for the entire face. Skipping a night if your skin is irritated is a good idea and keeping a simple skin routine is also key. Save your money, a basic fragrance free cleanser and good sunscreen are you need with Atralin. I also found that although my skin is oily, it is best to apply Cerave cream or lotion when my skin is still damp after washing and then wait about 30 minutes to apply the Atralin. This gives the best and least irritating results.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by violetp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

TWO WORDS: LIFE-SAVER.
I will never, ever be without this prescription again. I kept trying to cure my horrible break-outs with holistic/homemade treats but alas, these exacerbated the problem. I use Atralin nightly with Benzoyl Peroxide during the day and my skin has NEVER been so soft and so clear. Waking up to supple, youthful skin is my priority and this product truly delivers.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2013 10:57:00 PM More reviews by Koko305

Let me start by saying I've pretty much always had mild acne growing up. Then I went on birth control pills was on it for about 10 years and my face cleared up. I decided to come off of bc pills about a year ago.. About 6 months later my face was horrible. I was getting huge zits all over my cheeks and jawline and they were causing very dark scarring on my face. I was very upset. I didn't want to leave my house. I felt very uncomfortable. So I started trying EVERYTHING! I tried persagel it did nothing but make my scars worst. I tried face masks, vitamins nothing was working. So I decided to go see my doc and she prescribed me minocycline pills and adapalene topical ointment. The mino made me break out even worst in the beginning but it worked very slowly. The adapalene didn't do much for me. I was on these meds for about 6 months then I finally went to the dermetologist and he prescribed me clindamycin for during the day and atralin at night. I started using these ointments and immediately my face started clearing up. Ive been on it for almost 2 months and my face is almost all clear. I get a Little pimple here and there but nothing like before. My scars are fading fast. I'm actually very happy and feel comfortable again. These meds at first can sting a little when you apply it but nothing overwhelming. The atralin is kind of pricey but you can find coupons for it online. Def give it a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by laurenbtr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I used to have great skin, but I randomly started breaking out. My dermatologist had me try a couple different things that didn't end up working, and then this. The results have been exponentially better with Atralin. My skin is improving faster than I expected.