August 23, 2014 | 1416 users online

Deodorants - Lafe's Deodorant Spray

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 3:06:00 AM More reviews by clearady

What a disappointing product! I guess I had unrealistic expectations for this one. I truly believed this particular deodorant was superior to all other organic ones, and with good reason (look at the reviews on vitacost, and even the ladies on MUA who didn't like this, still gave it 5 stars?). People claim it really works, and I had been hoping for just that. I could do without the heavy price tags of some organic deodorants, and also the ingredients, this seemed too good to be true. and it was. no big loss though, since it was only $4 on vitacost. but what a bummer.
like people stated in other reviews, it literally is like spraying water under your arms and it says to spray 5-6 times under each arm. Result: water running down your boob. Not only that but, half way through the summer day and you don't smell like nothing (no scent) anymore. Such a shame, since i'm not going to spray myself continually with something that wets like water throughout the day. This really works, but only if you don't move all day and stay in the AC lol
i wouldn't dare think of taking it to the gym (the ultimate test).
don't get me wrong, i don't have anything unusual or strong when it comes to body odor, and as much as i had wanted to say this worked, it didn't. within a week, it's useless. what's the point of keeping a deodorant that cuts down your scent by only half? all or nothing, right. and also, it's inconvenient and cumbersome to apply. took way too much time.
epic fail.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2010 8:19:00 AM More reviews by ibizabiza

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this product for about a month and then it stopped working for me. I waited several months and then tried again, no dice. That probably has something to do with my body chemistry. I had the same thing happen with the crystal rocks. They worked perfectly and then stopped and I was never able to use them again. Sometimes I think underarm bacteria is like roaches, they grow accustomed to a substance and overcome it.

That said, I would encourage anyone to try it. The application is a nightmare, though. It's like spraying water under your arms. So keep that in mind.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/22/2010 1:43:00 PM More reviews by whyknot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I do like this product. For a natural deodorant, this gives me the best odor protection, absolutely no smell at all, all day - IF I APPLY CORRECTLY. So while i think it works great, I find i reach for my Crystal roll on more. Here's why: 1) the packaging of Lafe's is just a regular spray bottle. if you're hands are damp at all, its cumbersome. its also difficult to aim, so i often aim for my armpit and spray god-knows-where. another type of pump bottle would work better and give more control. 2) the consistency of this is basically water. the directions say 5 pumps under each arm, and that amount does give amazing odor control, but when i apply all 5 at once, it juts drips down my sides and my boobs. with no armpit hair, its like there's nothing to hold it in there. so i end up spraying 2-3 pumps, waiting a bit, then 2-3 more to get complete coverage. 3) this takes forever to dry. when taking #2 above into consideration and spacing out application, this can mean about 10 mins fiddling with my deodorant and waiting for it to dry. I just don't have that patience! Bottom line: while i love this product, i don't love the delivery. I end up using a natural roll-on first, then using this later in the day to freshen up. I will try the Lafe's roll on, however, as that may eliminate all my issues!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2010 8:04:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been experimenting with non-aluminium deodorants over the last couple of months, and this is the winner.

Main active: potassium alum--the same mineral salt that makes crystal deodorants work. This spray is basically the salts dissolved in water and aloe vera. Lafe's also have other formats of deodorant that work in the same way: a solid crystal (i.e. just the salts) and a roll-on (solution, like the spray: this one comes in several different scents). They all work well, I happened to find the spray the easiest and fastest to apply: the roll-on is second-easiest and more expensive, the crystal fiddliest and slowest, but the cheapest as it should last for a good year.

Comparable deodorants: haven't found another spray, though Kiss My Face has a nice Liquid Rock roll-on (potassium alum again) that's very like Lafe's roll-on. There are various other solid crystal deodorants on the market. While some people have had success with other natural deodorants--based on kaolin, lichen, bicarbonate of soda, sage, plus various herbs and essential oils to mask smell--I haven't: I found that at best they covered up one odour with another that was stronger. Makes sense, as they've only had a limited effect on the root cause, bacteria feeding on and breaking down sweat. How to tell: scent somewhere between sour milk and cheese.

The potassium alum-based deodorants, however, do deal with the bacterial issue: as does zinc oxide.

Tip: ensure armpits are clean and dry (tends to work best on shaved pits); first apply some zinc oxide cream (diaper rash cream, that sort of thing), then the deodorant. Pat it into the skin and allow to dry. I'll often add a top later of powder (Burt's Bees baby dusting powder: talc-free, contains corn starch, kaolin clay, and bicarbonate of soda as the deodorizing active ingredients). No smell at end of the day.

The Lafe's spray comes in slightly different formats: there's an unscented version (currently using: available in 4 oz and 8 oz), a lavender-scented one, and a pricier mother-to-be one that's basically the unscented version in a BPA-free bottle (though Lafe's also say all their bottles are baby-safe; and as it's a simple spray bottle we're talking about, if you're fussy about containers, just decant the stuff yourself...). Prices vary: CAD 5 or so for the 4 oz, 7-8 for the 8 oz, about 13-14 for the maternal one. Cheaper than many other "green" deodorants out there, comparable prices to the mainstream ones, and Lafe's products are available both in health-food stores and some drugstores (London Drugs for ex.). Cruelty-free and so on.

INGREDIENTS: standard version: Purified water (aqua), potassium alum (mineral salts), certified organic Aloe Barbadensis. The lavender one has the same ingredients plus lavender.The mother-to-be: Purified water (aqua), certified organic Aloe barbadensis (Aloe Vera) extract, Potassium alum (mineral salts). continued >>