L'Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Perfecting Base

3.4

cyclohexasiloxane, dimethicone, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, silica, acrylates copolymer, disodium stearoyl glutamate, aluminum hydroxide { /- may contain CI 77891/ titanium dioxide/ CI 77491/ iron oxides} FIL D30587/2

on 3/28/2015 7:56:00 AM

I LOVE this product. If you'll look at the negative reviews You'll notice they're all from younger women. I wouldn't purchase this product if you're under 25. I have been using this product as a sort of spackle for the fine lines I've been noticing have begun cropping up (I'm twenty-nine), as well as a scar I have on my forehead. This product is amazing for hiding any imperfection! Just tap a little on and it really does blur the imperfection to transparence. I use it after I've applied my concealer and foundation. It also offers a nice matte look if you put a thin layer over your cover-up products (concealer, foundation, powder). I will NOT ever be without this since I've discovered it. I honestly wish I could give it something higher than a five.

I have mixed feelings on this product. The packaging looks nice enough, and I don't really mind that it comes in a little pot, although I know that it is more hygienic to have a pump. It goes onto my skin smoothly and, although I don't notice much difference in the appearance of my skin, it does make my foundation go on more easily. I think it may add a bit more to the wear time of my makeup, but my usual products last quite a long time anyway, so it is hard to tell. I wore it underneath my Covergirl 3 in 1 foundation for a few weeks, and was happy enough with the results, but I kept getting pimples around my chin and jawline like I had when I tried the Revlon Colorstay foundation. Eventually I realized it must be this primer and immediately stopped using it.
Besides my skin's reaction to it, I don't think I would have repurchased it anyway. It gave only average results, and was about $13, which is too high for the quality in my opinion.

on 2/16/2015 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I wanted a primer that would keep me matte and fill in my pores, so I thought I'd go through a bunch of drugstore ones first before I splurged on a high-end one.

*Price: Ridiculous, especially in Canada. It varies from store to store but it's still too expensive, considering what it does (and doesn't do).
*Packaging: An unhygienic little pot. The fact that it's glass is nice I suppose, because you can see how much product you have left.
*Product: It's a whitish pink thick sort of gel consistency. It's bizarre, I don't know how to describe it. By now I've tried a dozen primers and I don't know what I could compare this to. It doesn't have an offensive smell but it does leave a sort of white/pale pink cast over your face.
*Positives: It does fill in the pores and it does slightly help keep me matte for longer. Which is a miracle, because I have the worlds oiliest nose, and there's nothing on God's green earth that change that. When I use this under Covergirl 3 in 1, I look flawless for about five hours. Somehow those two products work like peanut butter and jelly together.
*Negatives: Incredibly thick. So, so, so thick. You can definitely feel that it's on your face. I can't get past the fact that when you try to spread it out, if you don't rub it in exceptionally well, it kind of balls up into little white crumbly crumbs. Past six hours of wear, it settles INTO the pores, and I have an issue where my foundation doesn't last on my nose, so once the foundation is gone, all you can see is little white spots all over my nose from where this primer has settled.

I want to like this product, but I can't get over the heaviness of it on my face. I know I can find a high-end primer that feels light and conceals my pores and I'm willing to pay the extra money for that. That, and it looks awful after a long day because it pools in my pores and makes them even more visible. If you don't have the same problem with foundation not lasting that I do, and you don't mind a heavier primer, this might be great for you.

on 1/31/2015 6:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I've been using this product for around three months, and still find that I have more than half of a jar left. As a mature woman at age 41, I don't find this primer to be drying at all, so long as I moisturize properly first. I have mostly dry skin, but with occasional combination-type oil along my nose and forehead. Although I only use this in my T-Zone, I think it would work well for oilier complexions to use it elsewhere also. I've been using this under my Jane Iredale pressed powder foundation, and I find that I can get by with only one blotting around midday, and this primer prevents me from having to perform any touch-ups of my powder. I love the tiny jar, which fits nicely in amongst my other daily-use cosmetics (and they change all the time, but this primer stays permanently in my rotation!) I know that a lot of ladies find the jar unsanitary, but I truly feel that as long as my hands are freshly washed, there is no detriment to the product or my skin by dipping my fingertip in and applying. I find tube products to be rather wasteful, as you can never get all of the product out unless you finally end up cutting open the tube at the end of its life.

on 1/26/2015 10:53:00 PM

It's a bit pricy, but it feels so nice on my oily skin. I like to use it under my eyes and on my nose. It doesn't last very long though.

on 1/21/2015 9:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I usually try to use this product over my uneven skin, considering I do get acne quite often. It doesn't really help to cover anything and it also doesn't smooth out rough spots.

on 1/13/2015 6:00:00 PM

Once you learn to let this glide on top of your shin and not thickly put it on, it is fantastic! i have tried other primers prior to this and they don't hold a candle. Non greasy, smooth and silky, it gives an added beauty to your foundation. I am 59 with a lot of discoloration to my skin. This does not conceal but evens out your skin tone. I love it!

on 1/12/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I gave this 3 lippies because I'm undecided on this product.

Pros:
~ texture (similar to smashbox)
~ price
~ covers pores relatively well

Cons:
~ hard to get out of pot
~ need to use a lot of product to spread properly

I don't think I'll buy this again just because I have used better and prefer Smashbox or even ELF over this one.

on 12/24/2014 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

For the price, this is a decent product. It's very silicone-y, but that doesn't bother me. It can make me break out in summer but works well for me in the cooler months. I don't use this all over my face, just mainly in the T zone and over problem areas. Makes makeup apply smoother, fills in pores, helps perfect my look. I really dislike the packaging - it's cute but I would prefer a tube. This stuff always gets stuck under my nails, how unsanitary is that? I'd buy again, though.

on 12/18/2014 9:45:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I do not have any issues with my makeup wearing off daily, I bought this just for an extra smooth look. It definitely helps me achieve that. The finish it gives is matte but with a little sheen. It makes your skin look and feel extra soft/smooth. My makeup applies really nicely on top of it. It's a pink colored thick primer in a cute glass jar. You only need a tiny amount so it will last for awhile. I think it's a beautiful product.

Popular Primer/ Correctors