September 18, 2014 | 2051 users online

Eye Shadow - TheBalm - Shady Lady Shadow Liner - All About Alex

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Yrie

This is an absolutely lovely eyeshadow, worth the high price.
The texture is so buttery and it blends like a dream. It is nicely pigmented and there is no fall-out. Very easy to work with.
I love using this on top of MAC Moss Scape Paint Pot, it brings out the lovely mossy green colour even more.
The packaging is cute and compact. It has a metallic closure, which is very secure, on the one side, but on the other it can make it hard to open sometimes.
I highly recommend the TheBalm eyeshadows and this one in particular, would definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2012 1:46:00 PM More reviews by Seattlemama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

One of my favorite e/s of all time. An absolutely gorgeous deep mossy green that is especially beautiful on brown eyes. Works well with both subtle and dramatic looks. I use it for crease/outer v. Great payoff, no fallout, perfection. The packaging feels a bit cheap because it's paper/cardboard but other than that, this is lovely. I've never found a good dupe for this - must buy backup in case they discontinue. Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2011 12:57:00 PM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

First of all, TheBalm's individual eye shadows are an amazing value...you get a huge amount of product for about what you'd pay for Mac or Urban Decay - maybe twice the amount of product.

The packaging is nice and slim and it includes a good sized mirror but I do find these cardboard cases hard to open - the magnets holding them shut are pretty strong and it's easy to drop the case while prying it open or even to pry apart the wrong part of the case (the part that houses the mirror). I also noticed something funny when I tried to stack this on top of another TheBalm eyeshadow....took me back to grade 5 science class! The magnets in these compacts will repel one another so when you stack them, the top one will be "pushed" by the magnetic force!!! I have to remember to stack them facing opposite directions, if that makes any sense (it will if you have 2 of these and try to stack them up!)

Now...All About Alex. I would quibble with the previous reviewer in saying is is similar to Greensmoke from MAC. For starters, All About Alex has such good colour payoff (much as I love the colour of Greensmoke in the container, it doesn't really show up the same way on the eyes). All About Alex is more dark and more greyed - a sort of greyed khaki (or maybe the other way around) that ends up looking sort of like a very dark, greened taupe shade, I guess. It is so very wearable and elegant looking and can be used on the lid or as a crease colour or just on the outer corner (it's very attractive like that, with a light neutral colour on the lid).

I am so pleased with this - my first foray into TheBalm products (I'd never even heard of them til I saw this featured at Temptalia.com and just had to have it) but I will most definitely be trying more of their shadows and more products generally (Mary Loumanizer has my name written all over it!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This e/s is a dirty, olive green with maybe a hint of grey (at least that's what I think). The colour is dark enough for a smokey eye (I'm an NC15-girl, mind you) and can be compared to MAC's "Green Smoke", though it definitely is not an exact copy. It really compliments my blue/green eyes and is universal enough to be worn daily, in my opinion. Like probably all e/s by The Balm it's slightly shimmery, although not downright "frost". It's highly pigmented and blends fantastically. The pan is also a MAC's size, I'd say. The packaging is, again, really cute. I love these tiny, flat, carton boxes with that magnetic lock. That way they're really handy when you travel as they hardly take up any space. Lasting power is incredible, like with almost all The Balm products. I would probably buy this again should I ever reach the bottom of the pan, but I think this will take me quite a while. Highly recommended!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No