Lucy Minerals Foundation

4.2

zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly polyphenols, resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate

on 5/22/2015 1:07:00 AM

Though I'm hesitant to check the box on whether I'd buy this again or not, I did say yes cause I think there will come a point when I will (hopefully) have my skin more in check and it will stop producing so much natural oil at some point...I hope?? I say this cause as a combination skinned person, mineral foundation and oily skin just don't get along too well. In a matter of hours this foundation has pooled up in my most oily places on my face which is between my brows but it also pools up in other places too like the corners of my nose yet my nose is not as oily as my forehead, when this happens I pat it to smooth things out but I hate having to do this. But at first when you apply it it does give you such a beautiful, smooth and airbrushed look to your skin. The finish is amazing so I'm truly sad that this is not faring too well on my skin because I'm truly IN LOVE with this foundation. It covers what needs covered and you can choose what kind of coverage you want whether it be light or heavy, the colours are very forgivable, the finish is beautiful. When I looked at myself in my car today on the way to an appointment. my skin looked natural, and this was in natural sunlight which is the most unflattering of lights ever cause I can see every little flaw I have on my face yet this foundation blended seamlessly with my skin, it looked so natural and flawless and slightly airbrushed. It was so beautiful which made me sad cause I knew this perfect look wouldn't last. Luckily I wasn't out very long, which I knew I wouldn't be cause I didn't want to risk an oily meltdown from this lol. I buy 2 colours to mix together in a shallow bowl, although Lucy Minerals will custom mix colours for you if need be but I choose to mix it myself that way if my skin tone changes depending on the season I won't have to order more, that and I get 2x the amount by ordering 2 containers. My perfect colours are pale olive and light mixed together but during the summer light and cream are more suitable for my colouring when I get slightly tan. I still have 4 samples of cream that I've had for 2 years now and still haven't ran out. This stuff is super pigmented, start out with a small amount and build it up and yes I agree to letting it "warm up" to your skin cause it will just melt right in. At first the colour may look off but just wait. I bought the flat top brush and their concealer brush and that is what I use to apply this stuff with. I've tried everything to make this work but sadly I can't wear this everyday cause of the oiliness that results from this which makes me sad :( Occasionally I have noticed a few pimples here and there and I do think it could be from this but at first this didn't break me out at all. I was literally using this everyday even though the oily meltdown was happening but I stopped cause of the meltdown. If you're not prone to oily skin I'd definitely recommend this! Samples are generous and will last you quite awhile and they offer 4 different formulas, 2 for oily skin but those did not help at all with my problem. I'm still using samples after 2 years and have 3 full sized containers stashed away but then again this is not my HG, wish it was, if my skin ever stops producing so much oil this will be my HG. My skin only gets this oily when I wear foundation which is odd but not much I can do about that.

on 3/9/2015 7:41:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I wanted to love this foundation. I've been using Revlon Colorstay for Oily/Combo skin and although that makes my skin look flawless, it's quite heavy and I didn't want to feel like I was wearing a mask. So I ordered samples from LM in light, pale olive, and cream. Cream was too orange for me, while pale olive and light both seemed to work fine. My sister said I looked like a ghost in Light, but it matched my neck and I'm very pale, so I chose this shade to order in the full size (Pale Olive was slightly too green for me). Color match is pretty good, and this is easy to apply on your face. I just tapped out a bit of powder, dusted my brush in it evenly, and applied in a stippling motion.

However, as I've used this foundation more, I've liked it less and less. It separates on my face within a few hours and makes me look shiny. :( I use moisturizer and sunscreen underneath it, but they are silicone based so the powder should be fine over top, plus I give everything ample time to absorb. I'm not sure if this foundation contributing to clogged pores or not, so I haven't used it for a few weeks and my face is better. I don't know if this is a perfect storm of something going wrong with my skin or not, but even the most gentle and beloved products don't work for someone! Too bad that had to be me.

I'm trying the Bourjois Healthy Mix serum next and hopefully that will be the lightweight coverage I desire!

on 2/17/2015 7:20:00 PM

I'm reviewing the calcium carbonate foundation for oily skin.
I LOVE this stuff. It doesn't break me out and feels really beautiful on. It has nice buildable coverage. I don't find it accentuate flakies if I'm dry.
As far as packaging, compared to other loose powders its great since you can close it up and keep the sifter contained. Customer service is excellent. I'm Canadian and I use the USPS option. It always arrives quickly.
I apply with a kabuki brush and dot around my face, then buff it in lightly. Sometimes I apply extra with a small eyeshadow brush as my "concealer".
Once I started using Clinique City Block (the physical sunscreen, its tinted and almost acts like a primer) I noticed a major improvement in the amount of time this wore nicely. This never looks powdery on me.
It does tend to settle in my large pores, but having properly cared for and prepped skin makes a massive difference. I'm not saying you need perfect skin- just well cleansed, dried and moisturized.

on 2/4/2015 6:48:00 PM

I'm excited about Lucy Minerals! I have been really disappointed in Bare Minerals lately, after the Matte foundation stopped working for me (my skin has become dryer over the years), I tried the original and pressed formulas with no luck - both looked cakey and caused irritation and breakouts. I tried the serum, new "hydrating" gel or whatever, and even the Prime Time and nothing was working for me. I also wanted something simpler, more natural.

I found recommendations for Lucy Minerals and Meow Cosmetics, but decided to try Lucy because the reviews are more consistently positive and I liked the extra antioxidants in the original formula. Also, I was a little intimidated by the vast color selection Meow offers - I know, this is a good thing but I didn't know where to start! Anyway, Meow might be another option for you if you're looking for a clean, simple mineral makeup.

I ordered samples of Lucy's original formula foundation in fair and light. Fair is cool-toned and quite pale, light is neutral-toned and sliiightly darker. I have found that a mix of the two powders is perfect for me. The samples are generous - I mixed the two of mine in an old foundation sifter-jar and I anticipate this will last me a couple months, maybe longer. When I'm ready, I will order a custom blend of the two shades! (yep, you can do that!)

I feel that the coverage if light-med, but I use a concealer brush to dab a bit more product on darker spots (I have some marks left from blemishes), give it a couple minutes to "melt in" and then buff it with my flat-top foundation brush (I got a cheap one from ELF from Target, $3, works great). It has a very natural finish, a bit on the matte side but not unnaturally so. I use a cheek stain to add a dewy glow where it's needed.

My skin has been loving this formulation. It has been calmer. But the best part about this is that I don't get any flakey spots, which I would ALWAYS get with mineral makeup before, above my nose and around my mouth. It was just inevitable, it would happen a few hours into my day and I'd have to keep spraying with hydrosol. Not with this stuff. Lovin it!

on 1/22/2015 6:38:00 PM

To begin, I am a crazy perfectionist and I examine every inch of my skin when trying a new product. Also my skin has been sensitive this winter. More than usual.
Original Formula: I was irritated by it my skin was so red when I took it off and itchy. :(
Oil Control Formulas: Cakey and dry, ahhhhh so bad :(
Lucy Light: We may have a winner. Definitely a learning curve with this makeup, however I feel like this formula is gentle and light. It was not drying. I will update as I continue to wear it.

on 12/20/2014 10:05:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This review is for the "Original Formula," and for reference I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin that flakes a lot. I have a medium skin tone (NC30-35), and I tried samples of both Golden Medium and Medium which a friend graciously passed onto me. They didn't quite match my olive skin tone (Lucy Minerals does offer some olive colors though) but the depth was right for anyone trying to color match.

The Lucy Minerals original formula feels slightly damp, as if I'm applying a regular loose powder foundation with a damp brush (which I do sometimes). It feels more creamy than other powder foundations I've tried, including pressed ones, but the trade off is that it applies less smoothly and needs to be buffed in a little more.

The coverage is easily medium with a thin layer which could easily be layered, and it's hard to sheer out to light coverage which is what I would prefer. I find the finish is nearly matte. It doesn't dry out my skin or emphasize flakes (except those that are emphasized because of the necessary buffing) but I find the effect is rather flat since it doesn't the slight luminosity of skin.

Overall, I can definitely see someone with normal skin who prefers a more matte finish and higher coverage than me enjoying this foundation, but unfortunately it's not for me.

on 12/15/2014 12:15:00 AM

This was the second mineral makeup I have tried, the first being a drugstore brand that I didn't like because it would melt off my face in a few hours. I have found the lucy minerals foundation to be very easy to apply, very creamy, and fairly long-lasting. I still have to blot my face, but there probably isn't any foundation that with cure that. I have to be sure to moisturize my face well, or else the foundation with emphasize the dryness, but that's to be expected with powder foundation. I really like the finish and coverage of it, it's very natural looking so long as you apply it correctly. I might have to get a better brush for it, but for now I'm using an elf flat top dense brush which gives much better coverage than the fluffy brush I tried a few times. Another thing I love about this product is that it lasts and extremely long time. I ordered a sample first, which comes in a tiny jar but it lasted me over 3 weeks. I actually still have a little left. The website for lucy minerals is very easy to use, and they many colors to choose from. The shipping is really fast also, which surprised me. Overall, I love this

on 11/3/2014 8:02:00 AM

Lucy Minerals Foundation in Soft Beige. Covers my red cheeks and broken veins!

I have tried many mineral foundations from low to high end, and found them to be drying or tacky and heavy feeling. I decided to try Lucy Minerals as they do a fantastic "try me" size pot for about 2 ($2.50). I got a couple of shades and found soft beige suits my colouring best. (I am medium skin toned, green eyes and blond)
It works well when I have my fake tan on but also when that has faded after a couple of days. This colour gives a warm soft very natural finish to my skin, and looks fabulous with a bit of bronzer added when I want to look more tanned. (check out W7 Gel Bronzer for a light natural tanned glow, and a very very cheap Chanel dupe!)

I thought the powder seemed very dry to touch at first, but actualy this worked out extremely well. A little really does go a long way, and it's very buildable. Once it is applied it doesn't feel dry or cakey or sticky like so many high end ones do!

I have been trying to find a mineral foundation that can help cover red cheeks with broken veins, and this really really works well with a yellow NYX concealer under it. No other mineral foundations have been able to cover this so I am very happy.

I finish with a rose & glycerin water spray and it lasts all day long, and looks perfect.

I highly recommend giving the tester pots a go and there is currently a %20 discount code for orders over $20 (Code is: lucy20) Happy Shopping :)

on 10/10/2014 2:03:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I decided to hold off on reviewing this foundation until after I had put it through the most extreme test I could muster: a week and a half trip to Florida. I was impressed before the trip, having worn this as my go-to foundation. But now Im truly amazed. I had this on in the high humidty, melting sun, and rain for several 16 hour days and it held up beautifully without making my skin a wreck. I imagine I had to touch up a lot less than I would have with any other foundation (I bought the OCC formula). The coverage is great, the texture is silky, and a little goes a long way. Im so glad to have found a new holy grail foundation. My skin actually looks better after I take it off than before I applied it!

I took a chance a bought the full size in "fair", the lightest shade without getting a sample first. It seemed a lot darker than my Fyrinnae "quartz" foundation in the jar, but it blends beautifully on my pale skin and doesn't make me look chalky. After being dissatisfied with my samples from Everyday Minerals, this foundation rocked my socks!

on 7/16/2014 6:18:00 AM

I was very skeptic when I first purchased this powdery foundation. What really got me hooked was the creamy texture and good buildable coverage it provides. I think its important to moisturize and let it sink in before using, otherwise it wont stick to the skin so well. I found out using flat top brush makes heavier coverage instantly, so if you dont want that buy some other type of brush. ORIGINAL formula is really creamy and this one I like the best it doesnt get shiny, just a bit glowing and Im a fan of a quite matte finish (I didnt need powder). Feeling of this foundation is light like youre not wearing anything at all.OCM was too chalky for me, it dried my skin and sinked into pores too much. Later I ordered OCS with big hopes but the color Creamy Olive looks totally different in OCS than it does in original! With silica its orangey toned and I need yelow. I will have to mix them. The only negative for me might be the services, they are very nice and everything but once they sent me wrong formula and recently unclosed foundation which got messed around everywhere inside. I know shit happens, Im human, too so despite those little flaws Id give Lucy Minerals 100% any time. For me its Ultimate Healthy mineral foundation easy to apply and beautiful to wear. :-)