September 1, 2014 | 2006 users online

Fragrances - Serge Lutens - Chergui

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 5:15:00 AM More reviews by snkatha

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Black

It took me awhile to write This review. I've been wearing chergui from a little sample a kind SA gave to me & trying to "figure out" This scent. When i first apply it, i immediately get pipe tobacco & honey. I imagine this Is how honeyed tobacco would smell. That goes away and the tobacco goes to the background & i get something dry & almost grassy but not green grass, it's a dry grass with honey. It's the strangest smell i've ever smelled but it's a warm cosy smell. This stage lasts about an hour then i get the smell of roses, dry roses and powder pierces by wisps of Tobacco & creamy honey. The entire scent Is like a honeyed, creamy,rosy, baby powder with that dry grassy scent that stops this perfume from becoming boring. This Is the drydown i get & then it becomes a lightly honeyed creamy, dusty skin scent. I loved this perfume! Sometimes i wished there was a tiny bit of spice in there to cut through that creamy powder phase but i love it! I Can imagine this smelling hot on a Guy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 9:31:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I own 5 Serge Lutens fragrances, and I enjoy them in this order: 1) Chergui, 2) Jeux de Peau, 3) Un Bois Vanille, 4) Filles en Anguilles, 5) Feminite du Bois.

I love the first 2 very much, but I could have lived without full bottles of the last 3, although they're still very nice too.

Here are the notes of Chergui, per parfumo.net:

Amber, Hay, Honey, Iris, Leather, Musk, Clary sage, Rose, Sandalwood, Tobacco leaf, Juniper berry, Frankincense

Sweet amber, basically. It's complex & deep & kind of resiny but also quite sweet, let me emphasize that -- they were generous with the honey (the third listed note). I ordered Chergui unsniffed, based on reviews, and when I received it, I was very surprised at how sweet it is. Was almost disappointed by that, but not quite -- however, a little less sweetness would have been okay with me too.

Sweet-smoky spicy amber, and I'm wearing it now. Has almost a sweet pipe tobacco quality, to my nose. A relative of Youth Dew, Cinnabar, Prada, Must de Cartier Classic, BPAL Snake Oil, Ciara -- also maybe like Laura Biagotti Venezia or Escada Collection, except darker (both have been discontinued) -- all in the same broad general category, I think. No patchouli in Chergui, no vanilla -- primarily amber, and it smells quite sweet & pipe tobacco-y to me.

Chergui is strong & rich & beautiful -- you have to be careful -- you only need a tiny touch, and then it blooms on skin & has great sillage -- lasts very well.

This is one of the most perfect Autumn scents I've ever smelled. It's like Autumn in a bottle to me. Rich, complex, full-bodied, exotic, gorgeous, and completely satisfying. I love it.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/30/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by Necrobella

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Sadly, I have no idea what a real marketplace in Morocco smells like, but in my westerner's mind's eye, somewhat in the vein of the orientalist paintings of the 19th century, Serge Lutens Chergui smells not so much to me like a dry desert wind but like a marketplace in Tangier the morning after the wind has mercilessly swept through. I think it is a smell of stillness, like a whisper left behind from an old story that was told. It is the scent of a quiet unoccupied room permeated with the smells of lingering smoke, tea leaves and the spoiling wine and fruit abandoned on the table from the night before, the aroma of dusty hair scented with rose oil, and bells tinkling softly on perfumed ankles as the inhabitants begin to stir. It is the scent of the animal's fur as they begin to low in their stalls, the smell of the smooth ground baked with the sun's warmth, and the smell of the vendor's garment dyed textiles hung for sale in the streets. Personally I find it more reminiscent of Serge Lutens Arabie than the more common comparison I see to Fumerie Turque, but with less of that rich juicy pungency that Arabie has, and with the gourmand notes favoring sweet over savory. Unfortunately, there is something a little sickly-sticky-burning-powdery-sweet that holds Chergui back from being truly sublime for me, although it is very close...

Notes according to Luckyscent: honey, musk, incense, tobacco leaf, hay sugar, amber, iris, rose and sandalwood.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2013 2:50:00 PM More reviews by gmstrack

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this fragrance; however, Chergui was a major disappointment. The pleasant opening smells like Avon Skin So Soft and conjures up childhood memories. After five minutes, the boring powder arrives. Also, Chergui seems incomplete, as though it hoped to vanish in the hot desert wind. Maybe someday I will revisit this fragrance and experience lounging camels and complex “spicy intensity”. Maybe.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/25/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Lola452

I just could not get down with this fragrance. It smelled like Skin-So-Soft on me and nothing more, which to me, translates to cheap. I read other reviews that said it got better with time, but I didn't find this at all - it was very linear on me. My first impression was also that this is a very mature fragrance (too mature for me, not my style at all), and my husband said the exact same thing when I asked what he thought of it. Well, actually, he didn't use such polite terminology, but I'll leave out what he actually said. :) Anyway, wanted to like, but not for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2012 10:29:00 PM More reviews by airubgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I was given a sample of this at Barney's in Scottsdale and I was exceptionally skeptical because Lutens can be a bit over the top, and not in a good way.

This spicy, leathery, creamy and very voluptuous scent, brought me into the Lutens fold. It warms up on my skin and just melts into it, morphing from the incense, hay like opening to the spicy santal and tobacco leaf with a hint of soft warm leather middle, into the final stage of amber, creamy rose and smokey tonka. For me, the honey is present but only there to lend a bit of supporting cast, quietly sweet not sugary, with more of a beeswax honey scent.

It is exquisite in every stage with my chemistry, however I can understand how, for some, this would be overwhelming and headache inducing; but if it meshes with your chemistry it is one of the most lush fragrances out there.

Once the initial stage is over the sillage is modest, meaning it wears close to me, so those who are hug worthy get a whiff, but it will not offend in an elevator or invade someones personal smelling space.

I love it both in the winter and summer months. Warmth turns it into a heady and more humid breeze as opposed the winter where it is more of a dry smokey wind.

I wear this scent on an everyday basis and for formal events, it suits both imho; I agree with the previous reviewer that it just depends on the wearer.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/24/2012 4:29:00 AM More reviews by sonamora

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Complex, intelligent, evocative, smouldering, desirable, exotic, deep.

That's what I smell like to me when wearing this fragrance. And my husband wanted to bed me straight away.

Chergui is not for the faint-hearted, or white floral lover. You'll want to be into your orientals to wear with confidence. And if you do, you won't be disappointed.

Yes it is sweet, but not sickly, underpinned by sandalwood, amber, musk, tobacco, so it avoids the sticky sweet superficiality of many other fragrances jostling for position on the perfume counter. These notes rise to the occasion on the nothing less than orgasmic dry-down. What you're left with is a warm, complex, alluring fragrance that is evocative of a Morrocan love affair, but stays with you long enough to still enjoy at the end of the day.

Some say it's not an every day perfume, but I think it entirely depends on the wearer. An excellent fragrance by the Serge Lutens folk and would definitely buy again.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by lemonlye

Drat. This sounded completely like something I would love, but on me it carried the dreaded over-sweet baby-powder note. Bugged me enough that I washed it off. Won't dissuade me from trying more Serge Lutens, though, as I've liked some of his other scents just fine!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2012 1:32:00 AM More reviews by threejane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh my...not fruity, suh-WEET, sugary, powdery, flowery, girly or nice in any fashion. This is not pastel, pink, floral, eyelet, or ankle socks.

Chergui is a WOMAN'S scent. You'd better be a mature woman...all curves, breasts, buttocks, and satiny toffee-colored skin to wear this. You can pin a man from across the room with your smoky eyes, beckon him with a narcotic-laced toss of your hair, bend his will to your whim, and break his heart with an indifferent glance. Your clothes meld to your curves, and men can't say why you are so intoxicating...but you're everyone's private heroin when you wear this. (Is that a Twilight reference? Oh God, I hope not. SO not my intention.). Women want to be you, men want to possess you.

That's how this scent makes me feel, anyway. Not like a harried housewife with four homechooled kids and a messy (not dirty! Just cluttered!) house that has dogs bouncing off the walls and a perennial dish or three in the sink. Some days I just drag around in yoga pants and a t-shirt (it's really a pajama tee from Target, don't tell) with my hair haphazardly twisted up in a bun. I'm 41, with some wrinkles and sagging skin, standard mom issue.

But when I wear Chergui, I magically transform into Catherine Zeta-Jones in "The Legend of Zorro", Angelina Jolie in "Original Sin". Lush, luscious, sensual, unforgettable. After you get past the first almost acrid, medicinal blast of herby incense (about 10 minutes)...almost eyewatering, really...the scent melds into a spicy, honeyed, slightly sugary amber that's saved from cloying-ness by a fresh bite of tobacco, iris, and I guess it's hay. There's supposed to be rose notes in this, which unfortunately, rose never shows up on me. But it's not needed or missed.

Hours, and I mean HOURS, later, the drydown maintains the amber and slowly includes a woody edge...I guess that's the sandalwood. I can see the guy from "The Most Interesting Man in the World" beer commercials wearing this. But it's not manly, oh no. If my florid, overblown prose didn't spell it out above, it's verrrry feminine (all dependent on chemistry...always).

This is one of the few frags I've stuck under hubby's nose that didn't get the requisite indifferent Gallic shrug. He took my wrist in his hand, inhaled deeply, and murmured "Mmmmmmm"...totally out of character for him (a verbal reaction that matches his nonverbal reaction to Angel...see my review). I believe he is an Oriental/gourmand man, and if he enjoys this juice, given how it makes me feel, I'll gladly wear it and revel in my lovely feminine sensuality. There aren't a lot of things that can elevate me from my rather humdrum hausfrau existence, so when I find something that lifts me up, I'll take it and exploit it every chance I get. Just lovely.

23 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2012 8:59:00 AM More reviews by amv10

I did not really chose Chergui, somehow it chose me instead. When visiting the boutique Lutens in Paris (what a superb place!!) I hesitated a lot between Chergui and Arabie (....and most of the others perfumes from both collections....:))) but finally left with Arabie. Chergui attracted me a lot but it was somehow indescribable and although I remembered it as an intriguing perfume, I had a hard time placing it in my "perfume world". When leaving the boutique, the sales lady gave me the solid-perfume samples of all the Lutens collection (that's a must have when you go there, so do ask for it if you get a chance) and 3 other samples (Chergui, A La Nuit and Daim Blond). Back home I started to smell the entire collection in the solid form, one every evening (which amused my boyfriend quite a lot) and Chergui still did not make it through (I was actually totally blown away instead by Iris Silver Mist that I can't wait to have a chance to smell it otherwise that in the solid-perfume version). But last week I had to travel for the week and trying to lighten up my cabin liquids I decided to leave home my bottle of perfume and take the 3 Lutens samples instead. And that's when Chergui totally won me over, wearing it "without choice" for three days and in a heat pretty much like in summer. Result: this lunch-time I went out to the only perfumery that sells Lutens in my area and indulged in a bottle. I was submerged by its balance and complexity but I have to say that I still have a hard time describing and placing it. To me it seems golden, ripe, woody, smoky, sweet, balsamic, rhummy, spicies (but hard to say which ones), like a plum pie with a filling of smoked cedar in the middle. But if you ask me tomorrow, I may find something different, because it's roundness makes it hard for me to break it up in pieces.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No