April 23, 2014 | 1366 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Healthy Look Creme Gloss Color

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2014 10:57:00 AM More reviews by genarod

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

What the hellll--- ugh

I haven't dyed my hair in years because I was working on making it healthy. A few years back I LOVED loreal natural match. But it was sadly discontinued.

I figured this would be a close proximity and bought "warm dark brown" 4G-- which was 4w in natural match.

The color on the box looked light but you can never go by that.

I left in on the full 20 minutes, on my now virgin hair that hasn't even dyed in 4 years. My medium reddish brown virgin hair looks exactly the same. It's not darker, maybe some streaks are, definitely not even color, and EVERY gray is still visible. Absolutely no gray coverage whatsoever.

My hair was fully saturated and I started at roots and worked down. I'm not new to dying hair-- this stuff just doesn't work

rated 4 of 5 on 3/14/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by kaicg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a review for 9C ‘Light Iced Blonde’. Earlier this week I stripped the colour from my hair, going from black to blonde. I just needed to take out the last yellow/brassiness and match the roots (that were a shade lighter) to the rest of my hair. I wasn’t able to make the drive to the beauty supply to get a toner so I had to make do with the near-by drugstore.

First off, the product’s smell was barely noticeable and actually quite pleasant. It’s a fluid consistency and applied easily (perhaps the people having problems with clogging weren’t mixing it enough?) I have short but very thick hair and one bottle was just enough, so if your hair is medium length or longer then you’ll definitely want to consider purchasing two boxes.

After leaving the product on for 25 minutes the results were excellent. The different colours were blended, and the brassiness was toned down resulting in a beautiful natural blonde. I’m always very worried about using ash because of a bad experience with the Clairol Natural Instincts where my hair went a drastic grey, but I’m super glad I went with the 9C.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2014 2:17:00 PM More reviews by Ruby2003

- I have been using this hair color for several months and fell in love with the color Iced Chocolate, a deep, lush dark brown with loads of depth. The first time I used it the formula was a 10 minute version and colored my grays almost entirely and left my hair shiny and conditioned. The next several times I purchased, the processing time had increased to 20 minutes and the gray coverage had decreased significantly. I also felt that my hair wasn’t being left in the same impressive condition as it was the first time. Whatever L’Oreal did to the formula was a thumbs down…This left me looking for something else to get great coverage and shiny results. Now, I was very happy to find the same shade in the L’Oreal line up of Excellence.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/29/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by kings20

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Granted I just colored my hair tonight but it turned out exactly like I wanted it to. My hair was previously professionally done about three months ago, colored a dark chocolate cherry. It's since faded and I wanted to add some depth back to my color. I chose deepest plum and it's made my hair super shiny with a nice undertone of plum/dark red. Here's to hoping that it lasts and doesn't wash out within a few weeks. The dye made my hair super soft and shiny. Love!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/24/2014 4:35:00 AM More reviews by kileyw

I normally colour my hair with L'Oreal Preference #3 Dark Brown. After reading the reviews, I decided to go with #4 Dark Brown in the Healthy Look Gloss. I'm glad I did because it came out just as dark as the #3 Preference does.

I wasn't too concerned about it because I figured it would fade, and it did, but to a horrendous brassy brown/gold. It only looked okay for about two weeks. It's now two months later -more than 28 washes- and the brassiness looks like it's staying around until I recolor it. And the smell... it doesn't have ammonia which sounded like a positive but I found the scent really nauseating. Also, my hair felt really dry the few days after colouring it and I had to do a deep conditioning treatment. My hair actually feels a lot better after using the Preference colour.

Anyway, this does not wash out and it left awful brassy tones. I would not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/8/2013 7:49:00 PM More reviews by xoxmarina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

i have naturally black hair, but around a year ago i added a few highlights, since then my hair always looks more faded and dull. i bought this dye to get my hair to look the way it used to (i bought 2b blue black). i had read multiple articles saying that glosses are very conditioning so i gave it a shot instead of going for a permanent black dye. I LOVE THIS STUFF. seriously, it seems to have melted off years of damage. i take really good care of my past waist length hair, as in i deep condition it every week, trim regularly, oil it once a week, and apply heat protectors before i use any kind of heat, yet blow drying it weekly added some damage to the lower lengths of my hair and this seemed to have taken care of it.

now my hair is left with a rich black color, great moisture, 90% less frizz and so much more shine. i think its safe to say im in love.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/21/2013 10:30:00 AM More reviews by littlemissscareall

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I was strapped for cash and wanted to dye my hair at home instead of having to pay for both a cut and colour in the salon. I got this in Darkest Brown...which on the pictures on the front and back of the box as well as the swatch in the store wasn't particularly dark in my opinion. I was worried if I opted for just the Dark Brown there would be no difference, so I went for Darkest Brown. I used two bottles on my shoulder length hair, to ensure that my thick hair was fully saturated.

I have been dying my hair at home for nearly ten years. I've used many dies, both permanent and semi-permanent like this one, and never have I experienced this problem. When I washed it out, it was BLACK. Whats more, the dye did not take to several areas that I know were fully saturated - I even had my roommate thoroughly check my hair to ensure I hadn't missed any spots. I now have terrible banding and several places where I have dark roots, light brown lengths, and BLACK ends. I am trying to fade it as much as I can before I go to the salon to get my hair coloured properly, as I don't want to have to go back to using permanent dye.

Don't get this dye. Use Natural Instincts if you want to colour your hair semi-permanently at home. I will say that this colour left my hair very shiny, but the colours on the box are very misleading.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 7:37:00 PM More reviews by josiebearly11209

I really love this product!! To give you a bit of back ground on my hair I have medium length, medium brown hair that is very thick even after I had long layers cut into it to help de-bulk it a bit. I have been looking around for a semi-permanent hair dye I could use to dye my hair black as I have had very poor previous hair dyeing experiences and am scared to commit to the permanency of a permanent dye.

So I made my mind up and my roommate and I headed out to Walmart at 9AM on a Tuesday in the quest of finding hair dye. My roommate is no stranger to dyeing hair and actually bleached her naturally brown hair to a platinum blonde and had me dye the entire bottom layer burgundy after she had razor cut layers put in. So I knew I could trust her with helping me find a good semi-permanent dye. We ended up settling on this dye by L'Oreal and I was torn between 2. Rich Black and 2B Blue Black. If it were just me I would have went for the 2B Blue Black but my roommate convinced me to go with 2. Rich Black and if I liked the lighter black I could always buy the 2B Blue Black next time and have the darker black which is more of a jet black with blue hues where as this 2.Rich Black I currently have in is more of a naturally black and now that it has settled in my hair I can see it has very dark coffee coloured hues in it and looks more like a natural black as appose to jet black. The box was about $8 so it was quite affordable but pricier then some of the other dyes we looked at. Well worth it however.

With the help of my roommate we did a test strip on an easy to hide section of hair and did a skin test as the box mentioned it had the potential to cause irritation or a negative reaction to those who have a tattoo (which I do). After both tests were successful we were off to the races with dyeing my hair. The one thing that caused concern is my hair is medium length and quite thick and my roommate was quite concerned she would run out of dye. We just made it but I would have liked a bit more product in the package and am sure that someone with longer hair then me would have to buy another box (My hair is about 1/3 an inch past my armpits) I mean it when I say we JUST steered clear of my roommate running out mid-dye job and grabbing another box of dye. Thankfully she was able to work it so we could get coverage on my entire head.

We waited 20 minutes and rinsed the dye out and the first thought I had was how dark it was. Definitely darker then the box depicted but I remembered that with Semi-Permanent dye it ALWAYS comes out darker then it is depicted on the box to and that is because it needs to last 28 shampoos and the first wash the dyes always bleeds onto your towel and the excess colour fades into your hair and keeps it for those 28 washes. We applied the Conditioner that came in the box and to be honest I found it kind of pointless, it didn't really soften my hair or anything along those lines but I have kept it to use once a week like the box instructed to do so. We blow dryed my hair and I ended up straightening it and it was amazingly shiny and looked great! The colour was a lot more black then I anticipated but again that has all to do with the need of it lasting through 28 shampoos. My hair felt a bit "Gritty" I would say and had a kind of rough texture to it but I assumed it is because of the fact I just dyed it and rough blow dryed it and the feeling disappeared after I shampooed and conditioned it a few days later.

It has been a week today and the dye has faded from the extremely severe black it was once it had just been dyed to a much more natural black. It is a lighter black that stays very true to the colour it promised on the box which was a natural, light black. Amazingly my hair if held under a light such as the bathroom light fixture it has dark coffee brown highlights and it has a lot of dimension and has beautiful dark brown highlights through out the natural black base of colour. I think it looks great and is great especially because it not only stays true to the colour it promises on the box but it looks very natural and is not an inky black. It does look very natural and it looks like I was born with this hair colour.

Seeing how I liked this lighter more natural black I will definitely go ahead and use the 2B Blue Black next time as it is an even darker black and more of a jet black with blue hues which is what I originally wanted but I am definitely pleased my roommate convinced me to go with the more natural, lighter black the first time I dyed because it gave me an excellent idea of black hair and I will probably re-dye my hair in the next few weeks with the Blue Black dye and get a darker black like I originally wanted.

This is a great dye though and it takes 20 minutes and honestly ladies we can all spare that for personal beauty. I am definitely not disappointed with this dye and will be re-purchasing, just in a darker black shade.

I do reccomend this product!

rated 2 of 5 on 10/21/2013 12:38:00 PM More reviews by strugglingauthor

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I bought this product on a trip to the US, thinking that it would be the same as L'Oreal Casting Creme Gloss - the packaging is identical. It isn't. The first clue is that you apply it to dry hair rather than wet, as with Casting. This doesn't matter, but it does indicate that the product is different. What does matter is that this product, unlike Casting, doesn't cover grey, thus rendering it a complete waste of time for me. I don't even have that much grey, but I use Casting to cover it at the crown, and it works perfectly. This does not.

I have given it two lippies rather than one, because it is easy to apply and doesn't smell bad, and it didn't actively destroy my hair, and I suppose if you don't want to dye grey hair it might be OK.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/11/2013 11:17:00 PM More reviews by mariefranci

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

In a nutshell, I have tried Natural Instincts semi perm brass free before and it was good. But I was looking for something that was just a tad better. I tried Healthy Look and I must say, it does make your hair look/feel healthy! I dyed it two days ago and my hair still looks healthy. I used the Darkest Brown, so my hair is quite dark. It says on the box if you are undecided between two shades, choose the lighter one because it might be darker than expected. For me though, the darker the better since I have tanned skin it suits me. Follow the instructions! Don't leave it on for too long if you don't want it to get that dark and if your trying to cover redish or golden tones, buy a colour that is neutral. Darkest Brown had no highlights or added colours. It was just neutral. So be careful of what colour you buy. Avoid any colours that have letters beside the number, unless you want those tones.

PROS:
- smells good almost a fruity kind of smell. I liked it compared to other dyes I have used.
- Enough product for my hair, i have really long hair. Usually I have to buy a second box, but because its creamy it covered everything.

CONS:
- I must say, some strands of hair were missed.. but perhaps that isn't the dye it, it was probably me who didn't cover it properly
- I have no gray hair so I can't really tell you if it will cover.. but it did cover some reddish tones in my hair that i got from the sun and past hair colouring.

Overall, I am impressed so far. I will write a review again to see how long the colour actually stays. 28 Shampoos? Lets seee...