August 22, 2014 | 1729 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Soft Dark Brown

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 1/26/2014 11:28:00 PM More reviews by milhouse181105

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I will never again purchase this product. Lesson learned, you truly get what you pay for. For under $3.00 I was able to go home and dye my mousy dark blonde hair this Soft Dark Brown color. 4 days and 2 shampoos later my hair is almost the same mousy dark blonde pre coloring. The only difference? My hair now has a lovely brassy hue. For the 2 days I DID thoroughly get to enjoy being a brunette there was no sign of any reddish hue to my new color. I am very disappointed in this producti will be purchasing a different brand tomorrow and attempting this again. Hopefully my naturally thick and frizzy/curly hair won`t be (and look) insanely damaged.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by rcrystal

I bought this color without reading the print in the back. Its a rich dark brown with red in it. The amount is good but I barely had enough of it for all of my hair. If you have long hair (past your armpit) I would highly recommend you buy two. The conditioner is great. I'm not sure why a lot of reviews say that the conditioner is too little. It was more than enough. And it smelled like bananas. I personally don't like red hair on MYSELF. But, if you want a reddish brown that's subtle, go with this one. The packaging is nothing special, its usually under $4, and it's a beautiful color.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2012 8:56:00 AM More reviews by agreyskylullaby

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Colorsilk is great because its under $3, and works amazing! The color pretty much always matches the box for me. I am naturally a light blonde, but felt like going dark so I bought Soft Dark Brown. It looks great, minus a greenish tint but a little ketchup shampoo helped with that!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2011 3:36:00 AM More reviews by belagokanovska

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The worst color I ever used,it's burn all my hair,they say it's amonia free,but I don't think so ,frist it's smell like a amonia to me ,Dont used ,you will be sorry for your hair :(

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2011 2:08:00 PM More reviews by kathryndeanna

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was a terrible product- for me, at least. I know many people who swear by Colorsilk and love this shade, because it colors their hair so richly and has such nice shine. That said, I've used Colorsilk in the past and never had very good results. Recently, I decided to give it a try again, so I bought two boxes of Soft Dark Brown. It's a good thing it was only $5 for both boxes, because the first time I used it, the color washed out completely within two days, leaving my hair very brassy. I used it again a few months later (I don't know what I was thinking) and it turned my hair JET BLACK. I've dyed my hair every color of the rainbow, literally, at one point or another, so I know how hard it is to strip black out of hair, and I decided, finally, to go to my mom's colorist and have him fix it. Thank God he could. This shade also gave me orangey brown roots, while dying the rest of my hair, as I said, jet black, which is lovely on some people but makes me look like I'm 13 and still listening to Avril Lavigne. I wouldn't buy this shade again, and probably not this brand, either. Too bad, the price is great.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2010 11:11:00 PM More reviews by alyssa18o6

I purchased this without reading the review on MUA first which is something I rarely do. But i've used Revlon Colorsilk Hair Color for years (mainly just black or blue black) and have never once had a problem. I had recently dyed my hair a lighter brown/blonde color and wanted to go back to my darker roots, just didn't wanna go back to black. I purchased this based on the color on the box (something you should probably never do with at home hair color, seeing as most shades come out wayyy darker). I LOVE the conditioner that Revlon gives you with the dye, it smells lovely and leaves your hair so extremely soft. I used this tonight and i'm not disappointed, the color came out maybe a shade darker then I would of liked, but it'll lighten over time i'm sure. It's a beautiful brown color and I see some highlights as well. When I straighten my hair tomorrow i'll see how it fully looks. When shampooing after my hair did feel VERY dry, and same when I blew dry it even though I used a leave in. Currently i'm doing a deep conditioning treatment and tomorrow i'll shampoo like normal and use the conditioner provided. I definitely recommend this to someone who is looking to dye their hair a beautiful shade of brown. And for under $3 you can't beat it! Who needs a $10 box of dye :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/23/2010 10:40:00 AM More reviews by 1arianab

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading the reviews, I decided to purchase this over the weekend. I couldn't believe all of the shades and was truly overwhelmed. The price was dirt cheap ($2.97) and I purchased my two boxes of Soft Dark Brown. Like some of the reviews mentioned...my hair felt like straw after I put in the product and I just sat around for the next 20 minutes praying my hair wouldn't end up FRIED! I rinsed it out very well, shampooed and conditioned with L'Oreal Color Vive and my hair felt like silk when I was done! The color is true to the box and I have wanted a rich brown for the longest time. I had black hair for years but it just doesn't do anything for me anymore -- it pretty much washes me out. ColorSilk is truly the best bet for us brunettes. Just remember to condition, condition, condition and did I mention CONDITION!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2010 2:35:00 PM More reviews by Moonstonepagan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was a fan of Natural Match. The color I was using was gorgeous, but did not cover my gray at all. I had heard that colorsilk was good, but decided to stay away from the dark brown as it could look black.

Decided to go with Dark Soft Brown and it is beautiful! Covers my gray and looks dark brown with sparkly highlights. I use my own gloves so that was not an issue. Cannot beat the price. I also love the conditioner that comes with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/6/2010 6:55:00 AM More reviews by ericaleigh777

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I have been using revlon colorsilk dye for about 6 or 7 years. I have dark brown hair but every now and then scattered throughout is a white blond single strand. I used to get made fun of in school because people said it looked like I had gray hair so I resorted to dying it. I love this dye. I have used herbal essences, garnier... just about every drugstore box dye but i always come back to this brand. My hair is very thick and half way down my back. I use 2 boxes to dye mine. I think most people could get away with one. I normally use the color Brown Black or just plain black and it gives me great results. I decided to try this color to see if it gave a bit of a softer brown result. It did not. It made my roots orange/red medium brown instead of dark brown. :( I really like the conditioner that comes with it. It works awesome. I use both whole packs on my hair after I dye it to get it nice and soft but I am overall very disappointed in this particular color.

Other than the color here is what I have to say about this dye:
The only complaints I have are 1.) The gloves that come with it suck so I use my own. and 2)It seriously takes forever to rinse out. Other than that it is wonderful and a lot more affordable than having to buy two boxes or 7-10$ dyes. I recommend this to anyone who wants to go darker the shades brown black and black are amazing.

The only thing I have to say about the other shades besides this one and brown/black and black is that 1) if it says golden _____ like golden brown, golden blonde or soft ____ like soft brown etc it will most definitely come out very orange or reddish in my experience and 2.) if you are trying to go lighter this will not do it. It is ammonia free and will not lift the color from your hair well. Always go to a salon if you are trying to go lighter. At least that is my experience. Hope this helps!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2010 12:19:00 AM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Soft Dark Brown worked perfect on my color treated, dark brown hair. I used this on my roots only, with great results. Colorsilk was a first time purchase for me, so I couldn't believe that it was only $2.40 at Walmart.

When I got home, and opened the package, I knew exactly why it was so cheap, i.e., third rate gloves, conditioner in a ketchup packet, snipping the end off the hair color applicator, etc. I left the hair color on for 30 minutes, due to an inch of growth. I used a shampoo cap to remove the color, rinsed my hair out and my hair was so dry. I couldn't even get my fingers through the top of my head. I applied the conditioner to the top of my head only; there was barely enough conditioner to cover.

Once my hair was dry, Soft Dark Brown was the perfect color for me. It covered all of my gray, didn't pull two shades darker and matched my dark brown hair perfectly ~ I did notice slight reddish highlights at my roots, which works for me because my dark brown hair has natural auburn highlights. I will wait to see how quickly this color fades, before I purchase this product again...