August 23, 2014 | 1135 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Healthy Wear SPF 50 Powder Foundation [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2013 9:07:00 PM More reviews by kyliemou

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Originally, I was a long-time fan of Physicians Formula's Organic Wear, but after wanting something with SPF, I moved onto this product. I quite like the high SPF 50. It's refreshing to see a makeup foundation with such levels of SPF. I know it's powder and can wear off, so I wear sunscreen underneath it, but it's nice to know I have extra protection. I have sensitive, acne-prone, combination (dry/oily) skin, and this product does not break me out. It keeps my oil at bay for about 4-5 hours before I need to use blotting sheets. I like the way this product wears on my skin. It gives me a smooth, flawless and poreless finish.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/3/2013 11:06:00 PM More reviews by kayceeland

Stopped working because of the oil from my skin.

I have normal/oily skin, I've been using the physician's formula right after I moisturize and put my spf on and I've found that it is no longer coming out of the compact and onto my brush, no matter how much I swirl my kabuki brush on the powder. I haven't even used half of it. It also is a bit orange-y. If there was a way to get it back to where it is usable again, then I would recommend it. It not great, but good.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 9:59:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

If you have oily and somewhat acne prone skin OR for anyone in general who cant stand having to slab on spf then makeup on top of it and feeling cakey all day this is the powder compact powder that you want. I apply it lightly with a kabuki brush on top of my aveeno clear complexion bb cream and in good to go. this is especially great for the summer because your skin doesnt feel cakey and gross even through the sumner heat. it is noncomedogenic and hypoallergenic so it wont break you out. I have lived through hot southern california summers and humid michigan summers with this and no breakouts it feels light on my skin and keeps my oil under control no matter the weather. Having lighter skin the high spf is an incredible bonus for me. and to top it off its water and sweat resistant making it perfect for your "summer stash." Its too bad that they just decided to discontinue this Because it actually works. I hope physicians formula reconsiders. Or at least brings it back every summer...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by lookitswhite

One of the biggest regrets I have when it comes to skin care is not buying this earlier. I remember seeing these on sale everywhere, and because of the tacky orange, I opted to not buy it. Sadly,they no longer carry it in store. I opted to buy it from amazon and it is amazing if you are looking for a blotting powder with added SPF benefits.

It has great spf coverage and is true to being water and sweat resistance. Touch ups are easy, look natural and not cakey. However, if you are looking to use this as a foundation, it may not look too great bc the powder is very sheer. Though it claims to be buildable, I feel like it may look cakey. If you're looking for a setting powder, then I think this is great! I use this on top of my make up forever hd foundation & this is perfect. My face stays non-greasy all day with 1-2 touch ups. Love it!

TL;DR: great as a setting powder, blot powder, and great for sun block re-applications; maybe not so great as foundation. WATER & SWEAT RESISTANCE! woohooo!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2013 6:48:00 AM More reviews by modegirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Expectations will vary depending on what led you to buy this product. I bought this because it was rated very highly by EWG for safe sunscreens - that a reasonably priced, somewhat easy to find, product that is effective as a sunscreen but that you can use as a powder is great for me!

I like this product alot, and it also works as sunscreen (didn't tan much on my face) that doesn't get my face gummy oily from the get go. I don't have skin that's prone to breaking out but I do have sensitive eczema prone skin on the normal dry side, and this did not have any reaction on my skin. I bought this to go to a trip in the urban tropics - Hong Kong in June! It worked pretty well as it didn't melt immediately off my face, and touch ups were a breeze. I used it almost daily for 3 weeks, and also on my little daughter's face, and haven't used up much past the lettering printed on top of the cake.

If you bought this as a foundation, it leaves alot to be desired, as its coverage is so-so and the colormatch is very limited. To get the true SPF, you must wear a rather thick coat of this!

I bought the translucent medium and I am a medium-tan color NC21 (yellow undertone). This color, I believe is the darkest they have and I barely squeaked by not looking like whitewash on my face especially as I tanned a little. Still, if I had just gone with a creme, I'd still have white streaks on my face, so I rate this highly.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Annabellapop

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this product. Yes its kinda pricey but let me tell ya, its worth it. Its light weight and amazing. It had madium to full coverage. I got the translicent light one. It only has 2 shades: translicent light and translucent medium which is odd but i love it

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2013 7:55:00 AM More reviews by ButterflySami

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you have oily skin and hate wearing traditional sunscreen outside, this is for you. I use this powder as a facial sunscreen, and it is good at preventing sunburn. I burn easily, and haven't gotten burnt with this. I reapply every 2-3 hours if I'm in the sun. This holds up pretty well for my super oily skin and doesn't make me break out. Note: I don't wear this when in the water, it isn't waterproof.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/9/2013 9:40:00 AM More reviews by anakayamkuning

I live in a country with humid weather and sometimes I need to stay outside. This foundation blends well into my skin without making it look cakey. The packaging makes it distinguishable even though the bright orange color may be too funky for some people. But it a thin flip between the powder and the puff that I like as it doesn't keep the powder to stay too long on the puff while it's closed.
    The only thing that keeps me from giving 5 stars is that my face often still gets oily when I'm outside (e.g. walking on sidewalks) for more than 45 hr.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 11:20:00 PM More reviews by jccmz

The only reason I continue to try to use and finish up this powder is because of the spf 50, but I'm seriously beginning to wonder whether spf from powders really do protect your skin. This powder is really difficult to use for me. I own or have used 8 different compact powders and this is the ONLY one that creates a hard dry film on top of the product if my powder puff or brush has any oil from my skin on it. Well, I have very oily skin, so if I use this powder to de-shine my face and pretend to reapply spf, I usually have to dab into the product several times each time with the puff or brush that has just touched my needing-a-touchup, shiny face. The other compact powders i own and use are: MAC Studio Fix, MAC Blotting Powder, Revlon Nearly Naked and Rimmel Stay Matte; I also have owned and used in the past: Neutrogena Healthy Skin Powder SPF 20 and Physician's Formula Talc-Free Airbrushing Compact Powder SPF 30.

Out of all these powders, this Healthy Wear SPF50 is the only one I really dislike. I mean, what is worse than having to scrape off a layer of hard film on your powder every few days with a spoolie so you can actually use it? I found it ridiculous that it came with a sponge -- that sponge grabs any trace of moisture or oil from your skin and deposit it onto the product so that the film forms IMMEDIATELY. That sponge on the other hand will NOT pick up any product so you can actually put any on your face with it. If it's possible, I think I hate the sponge even more than the product.

So I use the old-school cotton powder puff to pick up & apply this product. The coverage is light, even if you cake it on. I have no idea why it's marketed as a foundation. It does NOT cover anything like spots or blemishes, even if you put a lot on. It also does not hide pores at all.

Since I'm beginning to doubt whether spf in powders really work and also probably because I don't love any of the powders with spf, I'll just concentrate on getting spf from moisturizers, primers and bb creams. My favorite powders right now are Revlon Nearly Naked and Rimmel Stay Matte. I can apply those with a sponge over BB cream or liquid foudnation, and create a flawless, poreless look that I can't even believe is my skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Walko

This is a powder foundation that I bought for the high spf.It's a lovely product, glides onto skin and dosen't look patchy or cakey.Dosen't look powdery either, looks like a liquid foundation once applied.It can be layered without going cakey But BEWARE the colours run very dark , and I mean DARK. I got this in translucent medium. When I opened it up it acually looked quite pale in the compact. But as soon as I saw in on the puff I knew.When applied I looked like I had a suntan.It didn't look that bad, I could pull this off in summer as a bronzing powder , but the fact is it isn't.If I wanted to use this as intended I would have to go much lighter. I've actually started to use this as a blush as it's hard to get blushes with spf, so at least I'm getting some use out of it. It's actually become one of my favourite blushes! .The medium really is for dark skin tones which is hardly medium..But it is a lovely product, love the orange compact and the way the puff is stored seperately.Just be very careful of the colours.