October 21, 2014 | 2012 users online

Moisturizers - Amore Pacific - Sulwhasoo Balancing Emulsion

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 2:26:00 AM More reviews by Kaelie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

$60 USD for 4.7oz. - I think you can only buy this line in the US at either Neiman Marcus (online) or Bergdorf Goodman. I bought the entire set (including the serum, water, emulsion, and creams) after I saw my SIL's glowing skin. I'd been using CD forever and was looking around for something different, and this was it. The line's based on Korean herbal medicine, so there's an herbal underlying scent and ginseng - which I love. I hate the perfumey scents that other skincare lines always add, but I find the very light herbal scent soothing and therapeutic. the product is in a heavier bottle that feels expensive and looks wonderful on my dressing table.

The emulsion has a very light texture and on its own doesn't provide enough moisture for my winter skin, but I use it with the serum and the balancing water for day (and add a cream at night). It absorbs right into my skin and doesn't leave any oily residue, either. My skin can get pretty sensitive but so far, no adverse reactions or breakouts. My one complaint on the emulsion is that you have to shake it out of the bottle and it's hard to control the amount that comes out.

My skin's normally combination, tending to be more oily but in the winter, it acts crazy dry, developing little flakes under my makeup. But in combination with the all products, my skin looks very soft and supple, even in the middle of the winter!!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2012 9:35:00 PM More reviews by AsianDiva123

Great day moisturizer for me. It moisturizes great but not too greasy. The scent is lovely. It has a little bit of herbal smell but is not over powering. I use it with balancing water in the am and I put on sunscreen on after. I just wish it had a pump bottle to make it easier to use. The price is not bad since you're getting 125 ml.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2012 5:43:00 PM More reviews by alissss

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought a Sulwhasoo set tax free in Seoul plus on a 25% discount. Still expensive but I bit the bullet. It had the First Care Serum, Balancing Water, Balancing Emulsion, Eye Cream and Ginseng Cream.

I have been using this stuff for 3 weeks and I really do see a difference in my skin. I have dry skin with occasional hormonal acne, some fine lines and some unevennes in color. These products have improved the softness and the dewyness of my skin. I need less foundation than before (just tinted moisturizer)

I use the First Care Serum, Balancing Water, Balancing emulsion 2x a day. I am not sure all these steps are useful or necessary but the end result is nicely hydrating. The emulsion is a light, not too liquid but not cream moisturizer. I normally use much heavier stuff for my dry skin but with the balancing water, this is enough for me in the a.m. I was very surprised at how hydrating this line is. At night I add richer stuff on.

Korean skincare usually involves more steps and time than Western skincare. You may see this as a "hassle" or relish the meditative aspect. I enjoy taking a few extra minutes for my skincare, but I believe you can just layer the products as well without waiting too much in between. The smell also makes a difference for me. A very light scent is found in all producrs (stronger in the Ginseng cream) that only lasts a few seconds so you don't keep smelling it. Just enough to refresh and calm your mind at the same time. I might be addicted to the smell. Or Sulwhasoo in general.

Packaging is gorgeous. Dates on the product are manifacturing dates, not expiration dates.

Cons: Expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by at77339

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this emulsion. The texture is light and easy to apply but it will take a little while to dry. The scent is just like the balancing water and it makes me feel fresh and calm. This emulsion is hydrated and works for my oily acne prone skin. Using this with cleansing oil, cleansing foam, first care serum and balancing water does help to control my oily t-zone and acne. When I get tired or see no result with the one I'm trying I will return to this line to give me a healthy glow and put my skin back under control.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/4/2012 6:32:00 AM More reviews by hanmu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I feel bad for bringing down the rating here, but truthfully this gave me a terrible break out. Granted, it's not meant for my skin type (or age bracket), but I've read reviews from other acne-prone people who loved it so I was crossing my fingers. I did love the herbal smell though, and the texture was wonderful. I'll definitely come back to this line if my skin becomes dehydrated with age.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by sinsinlee

I have been using the basic care 3 steps Sulwhasoo line ( the first care serum, followed by the balancing water and balancing emulsion)for about 6 months, and i am totally in love with. . This products has a very refreshing herbal smell. I have combination skin with oily T zone, redness around my nose and on my cheeks... I started out with the first care serum first since it's their best seller, the serum is very light, almost watery like texture, it absorbs inthe skin right away, it makes my skin smooth and soft. the balancing water is almost like serum, something if I get lazy or on a humid summer day, I would just skip the first serum and go straight to the balancing water and followed by the emulsion. The emulsion also has teh same refreshing hearbal smell. The consistany is very light but it is ver mositurizing but not oily.

After 6 months of using the basic 3 steps. I have noticed that I break out less (even druing my period), my pores around my nose and on my cheek sems to be smaller and I don't get dry patches like I used to. overall I am very happy I have found something that I think I can stick to. The down side is it's abit pricy (the first care serum is $80, the water I think it's 44 and the emulsion is $62). I just bought the clear peel off mask at my local asian beauty store for $39 and I am very happy with the mask as well.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 12:20:00 PM More reviews by pdonafajardo

I have been using this emulsion for 2 weeks now and I've never had any breakouts so far, I'm using it together with the balancing water. For reference, I have a combination n acne prone skin. It's pricey but it's all worth it specially when you have found the product that goes well with your skin. Now, I'm only dealing with acne scars and thinking what product to use to lighten the scars. It's not that bad but still =) It has a natural - kind of a herbal smell which is very refreshing. It's for older people like aged 35+ and I'm only 26 and I'm using it. It would definitely be a staple product for me now.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by mzxplicit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The only thing I use on my face is olive oil soap and this emulsion in conjunction with the balancing toner and another brand of sunscreen. My face has broken out in the last year for the first time in my life and with this combination I feel like my skin is on its way to healing. Its moisturizing effects last throughout the day, and I am noticeably less oily in my T-zone at the end of the day. This line is popular with a lot of moms and older people swear by this line.. and I can see why! It's not specifically designed to be anti-aging but as we all know, moms do know best haha.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2010 5:32:00 PM More reviews by isk107

hands down HG moisturizer. It is a light, milky consistency, but still very moisturizing. Perfect for day and night. I like to put SPF 50 over it during the day. Skin tone has improved dramatically!!! It is pricey, but not as expensive as the amorepacific products that are sold in Sephora. I think the Sulwhasoo line is amorepacific's best one. There are a lot of imitations, but this one is the real deal.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2010 11:35:00 PM More reviews by jungleberry

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

For information on Sulwhasoo see my other review on the Balancing Water. This emulsion is supposed to used in conjunction with the toner. This product has the same strong (but pleasant) herbal scent but as opposed to the toner, definitely is heavier and thicker.
Like I said, it is a thick, white cream, so use it sparingly. Once it goes on the skin, it feels a bit oily but your skin absorbs it quickly.
Even though it is heavy, it doesn't break me out. My skin looks luminescent and even-toned after using this. A great winter moisturizer.