Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure Nail Polish

3.8

on 5/27/2015 2:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

This polish does not last any longer than any of the other brands I have tried, including OPI and China Glaze. The tips of my nails started to show wear the next day, and after two or three days, I had to add another coat. Then the new coat started to show wear, so I added ANOTHER coat which did the same thing. It has now been one week, and I have to remove it all and start over because it looks like crap. Even though this is supposed to be an all-in-one polish that doesn't need a base or top coat, I used SH Insta-Grip Fast Dry Base Coat and SH Insta-Dri Top Coat, but they didn't make this polish last any longer. The only thing I liked about this polish was the color. The color I used was Kook-a-Mango which I got at Walmart for $4.99 with a coupon. This is just another product that doesn't live up to the hype. I was really hoping that it would, but no such luck.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it is."

on 4/12/2015 2:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hear hear to the last few (negative) reviews posted. This formula is maybe one of the very worst when it comes to wear time. Base and top coat? Doesn't matter, your manicure will not last. You could be making your bed, texting on the phone, washing your hands, any number of light activities and somehow the color will chip instantly. You give up on even wanting to try to your nails nicely when you apply it, because in no time at all they will be destroyed anyway.

This is a true shame, because the color selection draws me every time I pass it in the store, and if I see a shade I like, I will buy it even though I know what I know about the lasting time and balk at the price every time.

One plus, besides colors, is you can't beat the drying time, at least in my experience. One coat takes a minute, maybe two to dry completely. Two coats and a top coat obviously a bit longer, but can be done under 5 minutes which is great when you have to re-do them because you did them yesterday afternoon and the color has chipped already......

So, will I buy this product again even though I will regret it? Over and over again, yes, I will. Well played, Sally Hansen. [[long sigh]]

on 3/15/2015 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have to agree with the review Juliaandhercat wrote. This is truly a horrible product.

1. Expensive: I'm a fan of expensive nail polishes...but only when they have something special to offer. This line provides very generic colours (which isn't a problem) but for some reason I am paying a lot more than I should for something of this quality.

2. Wear time: No more than three days. Enough said.

3. Application: The brush is huge which I saying something since my nails/nail bed are larger than normal. Also the cut of the brush is not to my liking. It's flat brush with a rounded tip which collects the nail polish evenly...but collects far too much.

4. Formula: The formula seems very thick. I have a decade old polish that is thinner and more even/easy to apply than this. Because of the viscosity, the polish pools around the sides of my nails leaving the middle thin and the sides thick with polish.

5. Dry time: I don't like a nail polish that I have to wait an hour to dry for....and that's just one layer.

I gave this two lippies for : variety of colours and packaging. I like how sturdy the bottle feels and I also love the rubber-band that is on the applicator stem.

Overall, this is not a cheap nail polish (~$7 CAD), but I love the other Sally Hansen polishes that run only about $3.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think this polish is absolutely awful.
I was very excited to try this because there is a beautiful colour range, and the bottles are so pretty as well. Since it was one of the most expensive drugstore polishes, and it claimed to be an all in one product I expected high quality results. It turned out to be so bad, that I thought I might have gotten some kind of faulty or expired product, but I bought two shades (Barracuda and Ruby Do), I tried applying them on multiple occasions with different techniques and they always turned out horribly.
Firstly, I didn't care for the brush. It's larger than most, and rounded. I found it hard to paint the edges of my nails because of this, and application was messy. To be fair, it could be because I keep my nails fairly short, but if it was just the brush I didn't like, I wouldn't give this a one star review. It was just one of many things that went wrong for me.
The first coat looked uneven and a little dull, but it does say to apply two coats so I went ahead and did another. It doesn't improve with two. It looks streaky, some parts darker than others. It doesn't seem to make any difference how carefully I apply it, it looks this way every time for me. Also, after the second coat it looks obviously thick and unattractive.
The first couple of times I tried this, I didn't use a top coat because there is supposed to be one built in and it claims to be chip resistant, but the first day of wear it chipped almost entirely away. I'm not talking a little bit of tip wear or anything, I mean half my nails were gone. I really wanted to make this work, so I tried it with the top coat I usually wear and they still had major chipping within the first day.
This is one of the few products I've ever tried that were so bad they made me legitimately angry. I have never had such a bad experience with nail polish before, even with the cheap Wet N Wild ones. The Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear line costs almost a quarter of the price and has always worked wonderfully for me. If you are going to buy one of the higher priced drugstore polishes, Essie is the way to go.

on 3/13/2015 2:57:00 PM

I wish they came out with new shades of this like they seem to come out with their (crappy) Insta-Dri line. These are gorgeous shades, I find they apply very easily and evenly, the bottle is a nice size and easy to handle, and these for me are all opaque in 2 coats, some even just one coat! I have about 8 or 9 shades..*blush*..I like each shade equally well. All of them look great on, I get a good 4 days or even 5 days before even the slightest chipping appears, and the formula is good, no bubbling or streaking or anything "bad".

I did take one lippie off because I feel these are a little pricey. These are similarly priced to Essie and OPI, and even in some stores here, these are more expensive than OPI or Essie, and to me, Sally Hansen is kind of a lesser quality product. This line is much better than many of their other lines, but still I feel is pricey. I guess I associate Sally Hansen with dollar store or along the lines of Wet n Wild type or a product. But this line of Complete Salon Manicure is quite good. I like the colors and they do perform rather well, but I also get the same or similar performance from the Wet n Wild MegaLast nail polish, which is like $1.99 or so. So, to me..this is a pretty decent polish, but is over-priced. JMO...But obviously that has not kept me from re-purchasing. ;)

on 3/10/2015 10:39:00 AM

I have this in Greige, #300. It's a fantastic color. I applied it over a basecoat, Seche Clear, because dark colors always stain my nails. It took a long time to dry, and I opted not to put a topcoat on, because it is supposed to be a complete manicure, and it was close to bedtime and I didn't want to wait for another layer of polish to dry and risk sheet marks. My nails looked just fine when I woke up.

I am a teacher and use my hands for writing and typing a lot. By noontime I had noticeable edge wear on all of my nails. By dinner time, it looked like I had a poorly done French mani. I was very disappointed. I got the polish on sale for about $3, but I sure would have been angry had I paid full price! It's $8+ at my local stores.

That evening, I refreshed my mani, making sure to wrap over the top edges (it's difficult because my nails are pretty short. I always make a mess on my fingers!). I then used Diamond Super Dry because it was not drying. The Super Dry made it dry to the touch, but after an hour I brushed my teeth and put a huge dent in one nail. I woke up with sheet marks all over them and it looks like I let my 3 year old paint my nails. I smoothed it out the best I could, and headed off to work where I am trying to avoid looking at my hands.

I'm not sure if the Super Dry caused the polish to not dry, or if it just didn't dry of its own accord, but I am hugely disappointed that after 2 days I have to completely redo my nails. I just received a bottle of Seche Vite in the mail, and will try that next time. It defeats the purpose of a "complete manicure", though, to have to use a $10 topcoat to make it dry and/or stay put!

I've used all the drugstore brands of polish, and really had high hopes for this one. I am sorely disappointed. I will try again, especially since I have 6 other colors in this polish to try, bought at the same sale! The colors are fantastic so I hope that I can make it work.

on 1/12/2015 9:16:00 AM

These polishes are great. They last a really long time, usually 5 to 7 days for me. The brush is nice, flat and big so it makes it easier to apply the polish. I bought them while I was in Germany, they sell for around 9 there which is a bit pricey but I'm willing to pay because of the quality. So far I have 620 Wine not (beautiful dark red), 660 Pat on the back (dark purple, looks like it's completely black at night) and 565 Aria red-y? (my favorite so far). Another great thing about these polishes is that all three I own look different depending on the number of coats applied. So it's kinda like owning six polishes instead of three :)

on 12/30/2014 9:31:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have this in Mudslide (already reviewed) and Shoot the Moon, and I really love these polishes. Since I've already reviewed Mudslide, I'll focus on Shoot the Moon.
Around Christmas, a friend of mine posted a photo on Instagram in which she was wearing Essie's Jiggle High Jiggle Lo (what kind of name is that?!), and I loved the color. However, I'm not one for wearing Essie's opaque polishes, since they chip mercilessly on me. I did remember that I had what I thought was a similar color in my stash - Shoot the Moon. Similar it is indeed! This shade, like JHJL, is a gorgeous warm silver. It's got a gold sheen to it, but the main color is more silver toned, if that makes sense. It's really unique in that it can go with any outfit without clashing.
I like the staying power of this particular range of polishes, which is saying a lot, since most polishes chip like crazy on my nails. Consistency is good, as it's not too thick, but not so thin that it ends up being sheer. Two coats will do ya.
The packaging is good - bulky, but functional, and the wide brush isn't *too wide, so it makes application a breeze.
These are about the same price as Essie polishes, so they are quite affordable.
All in all, a great polish!

on 11/20/2014 4:15:00 PM

This is my absolute favorite nail polish line. I am absolutely obsessed with my nail and a real perfectionist when it comes to them. And so far this is by far the best nail polish I've had. I love the color range, and how every color looks just so rich!
Also very easy application, super shiny and relatively long lasting. Definitely give this a try

on 11/11/2014 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is by far my favorite, high-end drugstore nail polish!

My first purchase of this brand was done on an impulse. I found Parchment, a pearly white shade, in the clearance bin for $2 so I decided to give it a shot. The color is so much prettier on than in the bottle. Even though it is a sheer shade, it doesn't streak and gives me 3 days, at least, without chipping. I decided because I loved this shade so much, I would try others. I have yet to find a dud in the bunch.

I recently came across Dark Huemoor, a dark navy shade, and did not hesitate to purchase, despite the $7 price tag. It was my first foray into the deepest shades of the brand and I am equally pleased with it as the others. I also have Fired Up, a warm, corally red and Right Said Red, a deeper, lipstick red. As far as color payoff, I prefer Fired Up; I can get a super opaque result with only two coats. Right Said Red does not begin to match the color in the bottle for three coats, minimum. The darker shades will be a little tougher to get off the skin around the nails, if not cleaned up pretty quickly. I find this true of all dark polishes though.

I love the bottle and the wide brush. I can get both hands done pretty quickly and the drying time is on par with other polishes. I will have minimal wear on the nail tips, which I find normal and more noticeable with the darker shades. I use Seche Vite top coat and can go 5 days with negligible chipping. I also don't find this formula to be as drying as others and it helps my nails grow longer than when they are bare, which is true of most polishes, but few leave my nails in as good a condition after.

I will say the quality of the product depends on where you buy it. The longer it's been sitting on the shelves and opened and closed, the thicker it will be. (As a side note, I definitely recommend having a polish thinner in your manicure arsenal. It will extend the life of all your polishes and won't cause separation the way nail polish remover does.) The shade selection is great and lately it's been on sale, buy one get one 50% off. This is my absolute favorite "splurge" nail polish!

Popular Polishes