Max Factor Creme Puff

3.8

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

PROs:
- suitable for individuals with normal and combination skin
- neutral toned powders that are suitable for olive and yellowish-complexions
- product looks very natural on the skin, similar to Revlon's Nearly Naked powder, but more finely milled
- affordable
- has a hole in the bottom of the compact. You push a toothpick/ pin through it for easy de-potting.
- powder is firmly packed and is less messy than other pressed powders
- vintage formula (supposedly unchanged since the days of Marilyn and Joan) that links you to the women from the heyday of Old Hollywood

CONs:
- those with oily skin will need to re-touch after 4-5 hours
- can be too drying for those with dry skin
- odor can be off-putting, but does not transfer to the face
- not sold in stores in the US

I have combination/ oily skin, and I have worn this on humid, wet days abroad. I find this to be a neutral-toned powder with decent oil control. It does a good enough job that my forehead doesn't reflect the sun's rays and blind fellow pedestrians by 11 am. The powder has light to light-medium coverage, and the powder looks very natural, even up close.

I find this is superior to Rimmel's Stay Matte Pressed Powder (too pink, poor mattifying qualities), but not as good as Wet N Wild's Coverall Pressed Powder. For best oil control, I use a mineral powder that has titanium dioxide and zinc as a primary ingredient.

Give this product a try if you need a mattifying powder and are in a country where this is sold. Though the compact comes with a round sponge, I recommend using a brush to apply this powder, since a brush seems to give you more even application. I took a lippie off since the oil control properties of this product was decent, but not great.

I have to laugh at all the 'old lady' 'the smell!' reviews.
Obviously from teens and twenties mostly - used to today's sugar/berry/celebrity fume overload.
To me, the smell is very subtle indeed, and not offensive - actually quite nice!, whereas my beloved Rimmel foundation mentioned below - the one downfall of it for me is the horrible strong 'modern' smell which really does cling to your face all day. (I'm 45) Funny these generational smell differences.
I went for 'perfectly fair' which I received today, having gleaned that 'translucent' is actually orange-y - prime nono.
I'm very pleased with this purchase.
My Mum has always used this in 'Candle Glow' and her skin always looks great, never powdery or cakey.
I don't know what my Mac shade is - that seems to be the colour benchmark - but I do know that Rimmel Match Perfection 103 True Ivory is my EXACT skin colour, and it seems this Perfectly Fair powder is too, no orange but also not white and dead looking either - great!
Tried a bit and you would never know it was powder, looking forward to using this as a base, would recommend, you just have to do plenty of research on your ideal colour first - and make sure you're not getting a fake because it seems from reading around, that they exist. I got mine from the allbeauty website.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

Good product for the price.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Good value for a decent powder with a matte and silky finish. It's heavily perfumed, but I don't mind that. It keeps the shine off my face and gives a medium coverage. It's a great setting powder for your foundation. I need a touch-up once a day, which I think is normal for a combination/oily skin. I only wish they would make a normal compact with mirror for this. The current packaging is the worst! I bought a vintage powder compact for this, which by the way works great! I have my very own "fifties powder compact" for this. Very lady-like!

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I only started using this product recently, after many years of selling it at the pharmacy where I work. I have to say I'm not big on powders but after learning it was the powder used by Marilyn Monroe I thought i'd give it a try. I personally don't mind the smell too much. I love Chanel n 5 and this reminds me of it. It's a vintage product with a vintage scent.

I have to say overall I am very impressed. I went for the shade Golden, which is a warm toned light medium beige, great for my winter skin. I apply it lightly with a fluffy brush and over my foundation. I do my T zone and then my cheeks. It leaves my skin so silky and flawless! Not heavy at all. Got so many compliments the first day I wore it at work saying I have flawless skin. I am now a fan. Also didn't have to retouch it during the day but my skin is normal with some dry patches so no problem with oil. I have not tried this as a foundation on its own but will experiment with it. I would love if they changed the packaging a bit to include a mirror.
It looks great over a very light layer of their pan stick. I apply that with a wet beauty blender and after a few minutes i set it with this. A spray of Urban Decay seeting spray and my skin looks amazing! Better now that I am 43 that when I was 20. Good make up is the key. I didn't have a clue back then 😁

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

i bought this because my friend's recommeded. i used this juat for touch up make up and i love it. my oily face change become normal again. and until afternoon my friend said, my make up stay like this morning.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Absolutely awful.

Bought this a few months ago, but only opened it recently. As someone with very clear skin, this is one of the few products that makes me break out - after only 3 uses!
Smell is unbearable, far too overwhelming for a finishing powder.
Moreover, despite buying the lightest shade, it has an awful orange tint.

Will not use again, let alone repurchase!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My great nan used to wear this and when she passed the smell always reminded me of her. I started wearing it myself at 14, I've been wearing it now for 8 years and I've bought all manner of foundations from £4 - £40 in price but nothing comes close to this for me. It smells gorgeous, feels like silk and makes your skin glow in a healthy way. I wear it on its own for a light coverage and with a bit of Maxfactor's pan stik for heavier night time looks. Because it's what Marilyn wore, this is also incredibly good for vintage looks as it just turns your face into a blank canvas. You don't need a brush or any additional applicators, the little round sponge pad inside is the perfect way to apply. If you have dry skin you may want to moisturise first though I'd recommend this already as it increases its already fabulous staying power. It's also great to sweep on if you've gone a bit too far with blusher or contouring as it neutralises mishaps like that when applied on top and as it doesn't cake there's no pitfall to using it in this way and it also makes it highly build able. In terms of how it actually does look, it manages to hide all shine and give an appearance that is somehow dewy and also incredibly matte. It's just perfect, try it for yourself and even if you don't like it as much as I do, for the price you can't go wrong.

I have bought a few of these over the years. I used it to set my foundation, and I used it when I was into a very matte look. It does mattify the skin for long hours but can be drying, if used too much can look cakey and fake.
I usually bought translucent, but it is not truly translucent, it does have a colour and for somebody with a pale skin it is a bit of a problem.
The smell doesn't bother me at all, I like it.
The packaging is very basic but for the price it is ok.
I don't use it anymore, tbh I sometimes don't even use any powder to set my BB creams, my skin or my preferences ;) must have changed but I liked it in the past. It lasted a long time and for somebody on a budget it was very important.
If you choose to buy it - use a brush to apply, light hand recommended. :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Bought this product as I had run out of my clinique almost powder and I was really impressed. Ok it doesn't have any SPF but this isn't a problem for me as I wear SPF 30 as a face cream instead of moisturisers hence no need for it in my face powder. I found it went on really easily. It did look a bit powdery when I first applied it however it settled in seconds to an almost flawless coverage. This powder covered and stayed in place far better than my clinique almost powder that usually costs me £24.50! The only slightly negative is the smell it smells awful but then so does my clinique powder I think it's the talc in it?? The smell soon disappears and I didn't notice it after I had applied it. Will defiantly keep using this product as it looked very natural, stayed on my face and didn't bring me out in break outs that a lot of things do.

Recommended for Normal Skin