Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure - Commander in Chic

4.5

on 4/27/2015 12:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Whenever I'm wearing nail polish that isn't Commander in Chic, I look down at my nails and wish I had worn Commander in Chic. It's a neutral with pop and it doesn't make my pale weathered little old lady hands look worse like so many nail polishes do. Looks great with gold rings, but better with silver. Love the fact that it goes on thick and still dries fast.

on 4/22/2015 1:22:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Despite having a hoard of 225+ polishes, this is my first review ever. Probably because I am so surprised I love this one as much as I do!

I bought Commander in Chic on a bit of an impulse one day while at the drugstore as it was on sale and I had seen swatches of it before that I liked, threw it into my stash and pretty much forgot about it for several months. I change my polish 2-4x a week but tend to gravitate towards my Essie/OPI stashes the most and admit a bit of a bias towards SH, with some rare exceptions (like some choice polishes from the Xtreme Wear line).

However, after having a manicure mishap a couple of weeks ago and needing to very quickly get something on my hands as I needed to get out the door and to a meeting, I grabbed this as I knew SH markets it as a "complete" system and not needing a basecoat or topcoat.

So, as odd as it was not to use a basecoat, I went for it due to time constraints. I have seen mixed reviews on the brush but I love it. I do have pretty narrow nails, but I found that depending on the pressure I put on the brush it nicely covered every nail from my pinkie to my pointer in one swipe without touching the cuticle (the thumbs needed 2-3). Formula was great - it stayed where I brushed it (no flooding) and left clean lines...meaning a beautiful little gap between polish and cuticle and I did not have to do ANY cuticle cleanup.

I got nice coverage with one coat, but always do at least two and did like the look of two coats better. It did seem to dry quite fast, and did look pretty shiny, but I did add a coat of Seche Vite just to add a bit more protection as I was on way out of the door.

Well for a quickie manicure, it looked fantastic! I generally get really bored with cremes and end up adding toppers or changing it out pretty quickly, but this one was perfect all on its own. On me (very fair skinned, warm undertones) it did lean to be a beautiful medium taupey-purpley-gray, it is perfect for the office but also interesting enough to not be boring and dull outside of work. I do a lot of typing and am pretty hard on my hands via my hobbies but all I had was tip wear (I did cap my tips with the polish and the Seche Vite). Since I tend to get a bit bothered by even minimal tip wear, I took it off after 4 days (I am sure many others would be fine with it given how minimal the tip wear was)...and put the same polish right back on (though this time I did add a basecoat and used topcoat again) as I was not quite done with wearing it yet. That is incredibly uncommon for me to do!

I would definitely buy again, and in fact when I went to pick up a couple more colours in the line, I added another Commander in Chic to my basket since they were on sale again :)

on 4/19/2015 11:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I rave on about Sally Hansen to my friends all the time! I get so many compliments on my nails everytime and totally converted my friends to use Sally Hansen and they will never go back to anything else. The Complete Salon Manicure range is absolutely amazing. Two coats of this and the color is vibrant, shiny and lasts about a week and a half sometimes even two weeks then i would start to see a little bit of a chip. This color is an everyday color. It is very "Chic" it is a cool toned muted grey/taupe with a slight mauve tint. It is very timeless and goes with every outfit without it being too over the top. I love this. I have countless colours and my collection is growing day by day!

on 4/9/2015 2:20:00 PM

The color is what I call "Lavender Platinum" and it is gorgeous. I take it to the salon and have my pedi done, it lasts for weeks, nails grow out before the color chips.
Love -Love -Love It!

on 10/5/2014 11:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

My favorite nail polish. Doesn't streak, long lasting, amazing finish. Doesn't need a top coat.

on 3/27/2014 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I can't rave enough about the brush...nice, thick, good quality, superior application. Gorgeous color and great lasting power. Terrific formula, far superior in creaminess to some higher-end brands like Butter London & Illmasqua.

on 2/27/2014 2:22:00 PM

I love this nail polish!! A make up guru was wearing Deborah Lippman's Modern Love and I loved the colour on her. I didn't want to spend $20 on a nail polish so I looked up dupes for Modern Love. People said "Ladylike" by Essie was a dupe. I went to the drugstore hoping to find Ladylike but they didn't have it. I saw Commander in Chic and I thought i'll try it out. At first, i was a bit disappointed because it was so much darker than the swatches of Ladylike. I ended up getting Ladylike somewhere else. I actually like Commander in Chic so much more! the application is so easy, opaque in two coats and the colour fits my skintone (NC30). Ladylike made me look so washed out. I'm wearing Commander in Chic as we speak and i LOVE it! it's a mixture of grey/purple/brown? it looks classy but so chic as well! it's my go to nail polish!! I love adding glitter on my ring finger to put more details on my nails. Definitely will repurchase!!

on 10/26/2013 10:31:00 PM

Hi, I am a red polish kind of gal BUT this polish is one of my favorite colors. I've gotten lots of WOW's but not just because of the color but because of how long the wear is on this polish without any chipping! You can honestly go two to three weeks without chipping. I am very pleased with this polish and plan to purchase more.

on 7/28/2013 10:32:00 AM

Love this formula, I have several of the colors from this line. Lasts a week and I beat my nails up pretty good cleaning, and typing all day for a living. This color is completely unlike an of my usual colors, and this is why I purchased it. No red, no pink! Its a really cool-looking grayish brown-ish, but more gray for sure. I love it! What a great change! I would repurchase for sure, great formula, cool color.

on 4/28/2013 8:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Just painted nails for the first time with this.

Showed my husband and he said "Urggh I hate it. Your hands look like they belong on a dead girl. That's a corpse color".

Gotta respect his honesty and happy I still have the receipt. Can't say I disagree - It is a very gloomy color.