Hemp Seed Oil

4.1

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have acne prone, combination skin that is prone to clogged pores on my forehead, chin and cheeks. I find myself constantly trying to use different kinds of scrubs and exfoliants to keep my pores clean. However, no matter how "clear" my pores are the moisturizers I use always had a problem of clogging up my skin again.

That is until I found this product.

I did some research about how hemp seed oil (not hemp oil) has a comedogenic rating of zero and how it helps dissolve sebum plugs and balance overactive sebum production (which is the major concern for my skin). I bought a small bottle (cold pressed, unrefined) not really hoping for anything but willing to experiment. After a week of using this product as a nightly moisturizer I am very satisfied with the results. In one week my oil production on my T-zone has reduced dramatically. This oil is perfect for balancing my oily t-zone but was bit drying on my dry cheeks. I might need to put double up a moisturizer for my cheeks.

Despite my high rating for this product though, it is not a miracle worker. Just like any new product I use for my skin I did experience purging the first few days of using this oil. These pimples did not go away quickly. Instead, I was diligent in using exfoliants and acne creams to keep my pores clean before applying this oil. Remember, if your skin is clogged to begin with no matter how non-comedogenic this oil is, it will not help you reduce pimples. You would still need to maintain a steady acne combating regimen in conjunction to using this product as a moisturizer. Overall this did what I was looking for in a moisturizer: non-clogging and oil balancing. I did not expect it to reduce my acne since I have other products that target that issue.

Overall, I highly recommend those who has oily pore clogging skin to give this oil a try. Anybody with normal to dry skin, this oil might be too drying for you.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

So after years of trying a multitude of products, from cheap drugstore finds to very expensive department store and dermatologist recommended prescriptions here I am. I ordered 100 % organic hemp seed oil with great ratings from Amazon after weeks of review readings on this oil. My background is I have VERY sensitive skin with rosacea and acne. My skin is mostly oily but my cheeks have become so damaged and dry it's gross.
I've used sweet almond oil in the past with horrible results so trying this oil is scaring the crap out of me! I just got it in the mail Wednesday and put it in the refrigerator. I used a tiny tiny amount only on my right cheek last night and again this morning to test it out. My face skin is the only sensitive area so testing it anywhere else isn't effective for me.
It's too soon to tell if it's hurting or harming my skin so I'll check back every few days with reports.

Day 2: ok so I have a new red angry papule in the exact spot I used this oil so I skipped it this morning. I guess I'll try it again tonight but I'm already shaking in my boots.

Day 4: tried on left cheek and got another papule...not happy

I'm scared to try this again, I think I'm giving up. Or maybe I'll try using it as my facewash (OCM) rather than a moisturizer to see if it's any better.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Keep this in the fridge to keep it fresh. I decant into a smaller dropper bottle and mix with a few drops of frankincense essential oil.

Personally don't find the smell unpleasant like some, but when mixed the frankincense I can't smell it anyway

Use as a moisturizer at night time, as too heavy to use (for my combination skin) during the day.

Occasionally add a couple of drops to my hair, to smooth cuticles and nourish hair, especially good in winter

Wonderful natural moisturizer, highly effective and great value

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've used this since 7/12/15 as OCM with emulsifier (polysorbate 80) making up 1/3 of the recipe and 2 tbs of castor oil. I initially had 4 cystic acne prior to using this (2 forehead, 2 cheek and 1 upper lip) lovely :(. Today is 9/12/15 and I got 2 new cystic acne on my cheek and above eyebrow. I'm not sure if this is caused by this. When I use it as an OCM with emulsifier, it doesn't remove plugs or anything. I rinse it with water and I believe this rinses clean, thanks to the emulsifier. I follow it up with ACV toner. Time will tell.

UPDATE 14/12/15. So it's been a week. The cystic acne on my cheek, my forehead and my upper lip are scarring… My fault though, I picked on it. I got another blind pimple on my forehead and yes I can't help but picked on it. Now I'm not 100% sure if OCM with this oil caused this because other parts of my face are clear! I did extraction around 4 days ago and I think this OCM method helped to keep it clear. Usually by now, my pores are already infested with clogs but not now. I also used it as moisturiser after my ACV (and tea tree - to treat the blind pimples) toner when my face gets a bit dry. I wetted a cotton ball and put a drop of this oil on it. My face becomes so smooth and not oily at all! So I don't think it clogs my pores when you use a tiny amount (well I'm paranoid to use loads anyway) and when you use it as OCM, please rinse it well. I haven't touched my foaming cleanser at all since using this. I feel that polysorbate 80 rinses it well enough with water.

UPDATE 19/12/15 Yesterday, I felt like double cleansing after wearing long wear makeup. So, the second time I cleansed, I started to feel clogs coming out physically and that made me do 20 mins massage. Today, I did another one. Yes clogs came out a lot. I did about 30 mins massage. At the end of it, I washed it off and my skin was sooooo dry!! I think overdoing this can lead to dryness and the long massage can be overly exfoliating. Now I won't do that, although it so TEMPTING to see the clogs coming out before your own eyes!! sigh

UPDATE 22/12/15: After recovering from cystic acne due to OCM (thanks to PC BHA, AHA and tea tree oil every single day and night), now I only have 2 left (already popped) on my forehead. Compared to what it used to be (my freaking whole face every single day), this is vast improvement. Yes, insane amount of exfoliation makes my skin dry, especially the cystic spots as I do spot treat those more often and more intensely so that they're literally flaky. But good news, the blind pimples were gone without popping (some) and some popped of course, nevertheless healing process have finished now. So I decided to mix hemp oil (3 drops) with my regular moisturiser (I use Sukin sensitive moisturiser). So far, it works great, no new pimples. I've been patch testing it on my chin since a week ago and moved to the whole face and it's still ok. This time WITHOUT castor oil. Castor oil is hell for me. Even for my hair too. I've stopped using coconut oil and castor oil altogether. Hemp oil is much better on my hair. and my skin

You guys, this is hemp oil, not hemp SEED oil. They are 2 different things. Hemp seed oil is best used on face... not hemp oil.

I have very sensitive, oily skin, and though I don't suffer from acne anymore (asides from the occasional breakout from that time of the month), my worst skin enemy is clogged pores. Before using hemp seed oil, I used a mixture of rose water, glycerin, and extra virgin avocado oil and sprayed it on my face. I had actually been using this mix for a couple of years now. My skin was doing just ok, but the clogged pores were a recurring problem. I exfoliate 2-3 times a week, in addition to using a clarifying clay mask at least once a week in order to keep them under control. My skin was very temperamental as well; sometimes it was smooth sailing, and other times I had an uneven, rough skin texture. It was driving me nuts, because I thought I was doing everything I could to treat my clogged pores.

Enter hemp seed oil. I've been using it for half a year now, and my skin has never looked better. If you're an oily skinned (or combo) person, don't be afraid to use oils! But the secret is in what type of oil you use. A little googling about the different types of oils and the skin types they are best suited for allowed me to finally track down hemp seed oil.

My clogged pores were definitely due to the extra virgin avocado oil that I was using. Richer, emollient oils such as avocado and olive oil are rich in oleic acid, which are more suited for dry skin. Based on my experience, these are the types of oil that if applied straight to the skin, will never absorb completely. They leave an oily film on the face that is quite irritating, which is why I used it in a mixture and sprayed it on my face instead.

Lighter weight oils such as hemp seed oil or rose hip oil absorb better and are more suited for oily skin because they are high in linoleic acid. If your skin is abundant with this type of acid, it will become balanced, will not produce excess oil, and breakouts/clogged pores will occur less.

This has been the case for me for the past 6 months. I don't mix hemp seed oil with anything. I use it straight from the bottle and apply it onto the skin. Even during that time of the month, I haven't suffered a single breakout. My complexion is near flawless, and I never wear foundation these days. Best of all, it is smoother and more even, and I don't get nearly as many clogged pores as I used to. My skin is more normal than oily these days. I bought a 4 oz bottle of extra virgin hemp seed oil off eBay for about $7, and I still haven't run out. Talk about bang for your buck.

Some tips on using hemp seed oil:
-If you've never used an oil, you might experience some purging, which may result in pimples or clogged pores. Don't let this put you off! Your skin needs time to adjust; if in about 2 weeks and you're still experiencing problems, perhaps it's not for you.
-Use this oil on a damp face. It will absorb much better than on dry skin.After washing my face, I either don't blot it completely dry or spritz my face with some rose water. I put 4-5 drops on the palm of my hand, rub my hands together, and press them onto my face.
-I actually don't mind the smell; it's very herbal and woodsy, but doesn't linger after it's been absorbed. Albeit, it doesn't smell great, but my skin loves the stuff.

TL;DR: Lightweight, thin oil that completely absorbs into skin; good for oily skin. All around two thumbs up!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Oh, how I love hemp seed oil! I use it to wash my face with. I just pour a little into my palm and rub it in. it's thin and moves around really well. This also somehow seems to exfoliate my face. I can feel bits of dried skin or whatever moving around with it. when I rinse it off my face looks really nice. I have oily dehydrated skin and this helps to moisturize well. other oils I've used have been OK, but this is the best. it doesn't seem to help acne but it doesn't cause it so I notice my skin clearing when I use it daily. it also helps to balance oil production. my only complaint is its cold from being in the fridge and I always spill it down the side of the bottle. I'll repurchase for sure but a bottle lasts forever.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

Hempseed oil is the nourishing, softening oils. It is also one of my favorite natural/carrier oils. It has green tinge to it and will stain. I love to seal and do hot oil treatments with it for soft and shiny hair. I make sure to line my pillows with a towel when I have some in my hair especially when I pre-poo overnight. (My scarves tend to slip off). When my hands are really dry I treat them with a few drops. It really is good all over for supple skin.The only downside is the smell. Just horrible...

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium

This is my daily moisturiser (although not labelled, I have researched and this oil is said to have an spf of 6, which doesn't seem high but is enough for me when it isn't blazing hot, this is just my research and I still recommend using proper sun cream) This is the only product that moisturises my skin, keeps it clear and gives me a healthy glow. I know other reviewers haven't had the best of time with this oil but different skin will react differently with certain oils (theres tonnes of websites that help you pick out the natural oil thats perfect for your skin type, although it cant always be guaranteed) The only annoying thing about this oil is that it must be refrigerated or put in the freezer so it doens't go off quickly (it doesn't freeze or go solid though when in the freezer) so what I do is keep the large bottle in the freezer and put a small amount in a smaller bottle and put that in the fridge and refill when needed. You MUST put it in the freezer or fridge or else the essential fatty acids in it go rancid quickly, I suggest if you havent researched ,much about this oil you continue to do so before buying because it is not practical for people who travel a lot.

I use this in the morning after toning my face with apple cider vinegar (hippy life :D, no chemicals for me) and it sinks into your skin after about 3 minutes which is when I have time to make a cup of tea. It gives your skin a silky smooth feeling. I recommend this or jojoba oil for people with oily skin as it balances oil production and is non comedogenic. Some people when starting with this oil will experience a stage when they MIGHT break out. This is just your skin adjusting and removing impurities. (some peoples skin might not suit this oil so discontinue if you get a horrible reaction or see no improvement over 2 weeks, test it on a small area of skin first) If you have dry skin olive oil or avocado oil might suit you more again you can research other oils online.

Pros
- hydrates oily and combination skin well
- balances oil production
- silky skin after use
- healthy glow
- comedogenic rating of 0 (may still block pores for SOME people)
- cheap because it can last for a year when stored properly

Cons
- hard to store or travel with
- 3 minutes roughly to sink in
- wont work for everyone
- I dont know how well this works underneath makeup or as a primer (i will update when i find out soon)
- small spf rating

After reading all about oil cleansing/pulling I thought I would try a "dry oil" (I'm slightly acne prone) and picked hemp seed based on several good internet reviews. I applied a small amount to my face after my showers in the morning and at night, let it soak in a bit, and then put on my normal makeup.

Basically, there was a good and a bad for me with the hemp seed oil.

The good was that it actually did a good job topically hydrating my skin. I wouldn't call it a deep hydration. If I applied too much too often I would start feeling tight/itchy, especially in cold weather. But in small quantities I noticed it actually reduced inflammation from small pimples and just in general on my face. And there was no effect on my small amount of acne on my forehead.

The bad was that when I ran out, my neck, the part right under my jaw, broke out in cystic acne. Up until that point everything was fine. That was in December. It's the beginning of April and I'm still embarrassed to wear my hair in a pony tail :(

Based on my experience, I would stay away from this stuff. But that's just my body. It may work well for slightly oily skin with inflammation.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products