Hemp Seed Oil

4.1

on 4/3/2015 8:32:00 PM

I have never left a review for anything but I had an interesting experience with hemp seed oil so here it goes!

I use all natural products: Mychelle facewash, Acure argan shampoo and conditioner, and natural soap. Tom's of Maine toothpaste, Weleda deodorant, and tarte and gabriel brand makeup. The list goes on and on..

So after reading all about oil cleansing/pulling I thought I would try a "dry oil" (I'm slightly acne prone on my forehead) and picked hemp seed based on several good internet reviews. I applied a small amount to my face after my showers in the morning and at night, let it soak in a bit, and then put on my normal makeup (minimal). At night I use shea butter (SMALL AMOUNT) as a heavier moisturizer for my muzzle and forehead.

Basically, there was a good and a bad for me with the hemp seed oil.

The good was that it actually did a good job topically hydrating my skin. I wouldn't call it a deep hydration, but it is an oil. If I applied too much too often I would start feeling tight/itchy, especially in cold weather. . But in small quantities I noticed it actually reduced inflammation from small pimples and just in general on my face. And there was no effect on my small amount of acne on my forehead.

The bad was that when I ran out, my neck, the part right under my jaw, broke out in cystic acne. Up until that point everything was fine. That was in December. It's the beginning of April and I'm still embarrassed to wear my hair in a pony tail :( I don't know if that area is just incredibly sensitive on me or what but gosh darn!

My recommendation for anyone thinking about trying hempseed oil is to try it out on different areas of your face. Perhaps your forehead or cheeks. Based on my experience, I would stay away from the jaw/chin/neck with this stuff. But that's just my body. And hence why I'm not giving it a bad rating!

on 3/12/2015 5:29:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have combo-oily, sensitive (among others, my skin takes the habit of breaking out in hives when it doesn't like something I eat or put on my skin), SD/PD-prone skin. OSPW. Fitzpatrick IV.

I tried using this oil a couple years back due to its high content of linoleic and linolenic acid and figured it must be good for combo-oily skin. Due to those two acids, the oil is very light and considered as dry oil. I forgot the brand I used, but the texture is silky like sunflower oil, dark green in color and smells nutty/earthy.

I used this oil for oil-cleansing and to moisturize my face after. As oil-cleanser, it glided on my damp skin and melted my makeup effortlessly. I wiped it off with damp warm washcloth and followed with a cleanser. I patted a bit more back onto my skin to moisturize.
As moisturizer, it felt light and sunk in pretty quickly and despite being a dry oil, felt hydrating and gave my skin a nice glow (not because of the slick) even when my face is naked.
I haven't suffered acne (full-blown outbreak; I usually get 1-2 around TTOM and cyst when I use something that doesn't agree with my skin), so I wouldn't know how this would fare for such skin. However, as expected from oil cleansing, my SF was diminished and much less pronounced. The oil doesn't clog my skin, either. Now, I don't know how this would fare with my SD/PD-prone skin since I didn't have flareups at that time, but I'm pretty confident this would fare well.

Being a great oil and all, I haven't repurchased it since then.
First, I really don't like the smell. People call it nutty or earthy, but to me it's kinda fishy and it lingers in my bathroom.
Second, my skin then fared well with sunflower oil and since it's much cheaper, I kept using it, although it doesn't give me as nice a glow as hemp seed does.
Third, being such a fragile oil, I have to keep it in the fridge and I'd rather not have extra trips if I can.
Fourth, now that I'm rebuilding my routine after a recent SD outbreak, I haven't reintroduced any oil back into my routine. The ones in 'to try' waiting list are sunflower (had to retest) and mineral. If either does well with my skin (non-clogging and doesn't aggravate SD), I will stick with it.
I would love to repurchase this oil as occasional moisturizer when I feel like pampering myself, but it doesn't have long shelf-life either and that may be a waste if I can use it up before it goes rancid. I also like olive oil in my salad better, so I know I won't use it up as much in my meals. I don't completely shut out the possibility, though.

In conclusion, if you have oily, acne-prone or sensitive skin, this oil is definitely worth trying, despite the smell (many seem to like it, though), hassle and price. This is still the best carrier oil I have tried to date.

on 12/11/2014 9:17:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

SKIN TYPE:

Blemish prone, combination skin with 3 to 4 large "under the skin" acne that is tender to the touch - especially on the chin/jawline area and sometimes on the cheek. These pimples are almost always present.

RESULTS:

Pimples reduced to small reddish "on top of the skin" pimples along the cheek area. 1 or 2 medium "under the skin" pimples. Dabbing castor oil on them now dries them out quickly.

OCM:

I modified nailbunny's Hemp Oil OCM and this is what I've been doing for the past 2 months.

Using Nutiva's Hemp Seed Oil (from iHerb) for my twice a week face cleansing using OCM (I began with every day for a week then reduced to about 2 - 3 times weekly). Basically decanted into a small pump bottle which I keep in the fridge. 2 pumps, slater over face and neck, do a minute or so of face massage.. if I have the time, I steam my face for 10 minutes with the oil on it. Then I wipe off the oil with a cloth.

SCRUB:

I do get a lot of whiteheads & dead / dry skin so some days I scrub my face with a warm damp face cloth as a way to get a scrub & remove the oil (btw: I know my skin pretty well.. I've done quite a few experiments with it including DIY TCA peels etc. so whilst I realise scrubbing might sound too harsh for some, I'm familiar enough with my skin to know it's a definite requirement for me).

TONER:

I follow it up with a DIY toner: 1/3 Bragg's Raw Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar toner, 2/3 water + 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil in a 50 ml bottle.

DAYS WHEN I DON'T OCM:

For all the other days, I just rinse my face with water in the mornings and nights. No soap. No face cleansers etc.

MAKEUP REMOVER:

This also works as a makeup remover.

PIMPLE SPOT TREATMENTS:

After 2 months or so, my pimples have reduced from the 3 to 4 large "under the skin" type at the jawline to smaller ones - and for those, I just dab a bit of Heritage's Castor Oil on them at night (and again in the morning if necessary). The Castor Oil dries them out quickly and reduces how sensitive they are to the touch as well.

CAUTION:

The Oil Cleansing Method doesn't work for everybody.. and one of the main reasons seems to be type of oil chosen. VOO and VCO was too pore clogging for me - but Hemp Oil works. I highly recommend keeping a close eye on your skin - I wouldn't continue if it starts "purging" because I think a lot of times an allergic/negative reaction looks like purging.. so instead of finally getting better, it just gets worse. Thus, I would not continue using if purging occurs.

For example, I tried introducing rose water, but within a day or two, noticed some new small pimples along the tops of my cheeks and forehead - I didn't usually get those types of pimples, and definitely not in those areas. I figured it must be the rosewater (I only introduce 1 new thing at a time to make it easier for me to know if something works or doesn't), discontinued it and my skin went back to normal. So please keep a close eye on your skin.

on 7/31/2014 11:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

HOW:
I use straight hemp seed oil as cleanser. Most of the time I just wet my face with warm water and massage hemp seed oil in before rinsing/wiping it off with warm water and patting dry. I tone with diluted ACV, and then use hemp seed oil again with a couple of drops of lavender essential oil as moisturiser. I've been using hemp seed oil for more than a month now.

WHAT:
Hemp seed oil has a greenish colour and a grassy, earthy smell (it's not stinky at all). It is packed with omega 3 and 6, and has a good amount of linoleic acid (about 50+%) as opposed to oleic acid (~9%) which makes it a light/dry oil. Linoleic acid, being an essential fatty acid, is a component of our sebaceous glands and provides anti-inflammatory protection from breakouts. This means that sufficient linoleic acid is beneficial for your skin as it helps to strengthen the skin barrier. Conversely, a deficiency in linoleic acid has been found to cause blackheads/whiteheads or acne breakouts.

NON-COMEDOGENIC:
One fantastic feature of hemp seed oil is that it is rated to *not* clog your pores at all. It is a great step-up from coconut oil (what I was using previously) which is rated high on the comedogenicity scale at 4/5 - a steep contrast to hemp seed oil's rating of 0. As such, it can help to reduce the occurrence of blackheads or whiteheads, so my nose can appear pretty clear after a good exfoliation or facial mask.

IMPROVES SKIN, BUT NOT COMBATIVE TO EXISTING ACNE:
Hemp seed oil helps with the general appearance of skin and in reducing redness caused by acne. It can give a "dewy" glow on the face. Definitely had good skin days when my face looked clear, including a nicely smooth forehead (no bumps!). I still get mild hormonal acne with a few zits here and there, and unfortunately hemp seed oil alone does not seem to do much in terms of tackling any acne that may be present. However, it does help to unclog some sebum plugs when massaging the oil in. My forehead, cheeks and nose are usually clear, while my jawline, chin, upper lip and mouth area remain prone to hormonal breakouts.

GOOD FOR OILY SKIN:
I started oil-cleansing (no soap) with coconut oil which significantly reduced my face's greasiness. With hemp seed oil, my skin type has maintained or perhaps improved to somewhat normal - only my nose gets a little oily now, but a simple swab and my skin is as good as normal. I can even go with days without washing my face and not grease up at all. Using ACV as toner may also be a contributory factor in balancing out the pH of my skin.

DOES NOT SEEM TO HELP ENLARGED PORES:
I have quite a lot of visible sebaceous filaments as well as genetically large pores, and I'm not quite sure about hemp seed oil's capability in reducing the appearance of either. It's not exactly an astringent, so ACV toner and yogurt/Aztec Clay mask serve to be far more effective for me in that respect. Perhaps with prolonged usage, I may be able to notice some difference.

GOOD MOISTURISER:
Hemp seed oil makes my skin feel nicely soft and supple. It is, however, a drier sort of oil, so it is essential that you apply it often enough (at least twice a day should suffice), as some dryness and flakiness can develop if your skin is prone to that. It is fairly quick to absorb and doesn't leave you greasy unless you apply too much.

RANGE OF USES (HAIR, BODY):
I use any residue hemp seed oil I may have left on my hands to moisturise my hair and scalp as it is known for strengthening hair cuticles. I'm sure it's a competent body moisturiser as well. Some people take hemp seed oil internally, but I cannot account for this as consumption of hemp oil is illegal in my country (Australia). I would still advise caution to do thorough research and exercise discernment to read critically between the lines when websites rave about the benefits of ingesting hemp oil, namely that of the pro-cannabis sociopolitical agenda (there are studies demonstrating that hemp seed oil can promote cancer cells, which debunk claims that it reduces or clears them).

GET THE RIGHT KIND & KEEP IT COOL:
Be sure to get ORGANIC, COLD-PRESSED and RAW/UNREFINED hemp seed oil for maximum effectiveness. I would be wary of those imported from or produced in China. Always read the label carefully, and get it 100% locally produced if you can (or Canadian grown, if you're from the US - apparently it's illegal to grow low-THC hemp in the States?). Hemp seed oil requires storage at a cool temperature or in the fridge, otherwise it will go rancid with its nutrients destroyed - and that won't do your skin good at all and can become comedogenic (pore-clogging). Storage needs can be slightly troublesome, but it is manageable.

CONCLUSIVE THOUGHTS:
I'm pretty pleased with this oil - especially for its non-comedogenicity and linoleic acid content. However, it does have its shortcomings as a standalone oil, so I am seeking to combine it with another oil which can provide greater effectiveness in actively combating clogged pores and blemishes that may be present (jojoba oil? add drops of tea tree oil?). I am open to trying other non-comedogenic oils to see if they may work better for my skin. I am also planning to use something else (aloe vera, rosehip/argan oil?) which may help speed up the healing of hyperpigmentation marks and acne scars as well as the reduction of pore size.

TO BUY & DISCOUNT CODE:
I use Nutiva Hemp Seed Oil which is super affordable and available at iHerb.com (just ~US$7.40 for 8oz or 236ml -- fellow Aussies, this is a massive bargain!) You are free to use my coupon code for $10 off your first purchase. Just key in DLK190 at checkout, or copy and paste this url: http://iherb.com?rcode=DLK190

I purchased "Good Oil" cold pressed mild hemp oil. This was a second attempt to use this as a facial cleanser and moisturizer. The first few uses were great, plump moist skin smooth to the touch and plugs coming out of pores. However both times ended the same; slowly but surely my skin would rebel and within a week I would be broken out. Did not try adding an emollient, maybe that would have made a difference.

on 5/10/2014 8:43:00 AM

This oil has an earthy smell and it has a greenish colour.
It is too heavy for my combination skin even if I use it to clean my face with it BUT I do use it sometimes on my whole face because I have dry cheeks and it really hydrates my skin and makes it soft.
If I use it as a face masage oil, it leaves an oily veil on my eyes but I am OK with it because it doesn't sting and can wash my face with face wash if I want or I just leave it overnight to hydrate my eye area.
It didn't clog my pores and this is very important for me.
I also use it on my body and it is very nourishing. I have very dry body skin and this helps a lot.
On my hair it gives strength and shine without weighing my hair down and again this is a huge deal for me. I just put it on for 15 mins and then wash. It doesn't leave my hair oily.
So yeap I am a fan of hemp oil!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

EDIT: week three I had the most unbelievable breakout of my life (which I'm still getting over). It was so bad I went to the dermatologist thinking i was having some kinda allergic reaction to something! I was also using apple cider vinegar diluted as a toner. As much as I liked what it initially did to my skin I WILL NOT be attempting this again. It was not a "purge" it was cystic, itching and mortifying! And, despite it having a comedogenic rating of 0--- the doc said, any oil can clog pores...

So, Its been a couple weeks of using hemp oil as a moisturizer. I use it morning and night. At first my skin definitely looked better. More glow, less "ruddy". I've been experimenting with some other cleansers this past week and have had quite a few breakouts because. I hope that the hemp oil helps clear that up.

Pros:
moisturizing
natural
non-comedogenic
i like the smell
Great makeup base!!!
Face feels smooth and soft
Affordable

Cons:
Hard to travel with because it needs to be refrigerated
Comes in an enormous bottle with a short expiry date, so Im sure a lot is going to go to waste... need to find a smaller bottle!
Takes a while to soak in

I'll update in a couple more weeks :)

This stuff is wonderful at hydrating skin and will not cause breakouts! I've been looking for something to use along with my Retin-A (that I use for my cystic acne) as a moisturizer that would help 1- stop the peeling Retin-A causes me and 2- combat the redness Retin-A causes, without aggravating my semi-severe acne.

It really helps with the peeling and dryness. I use 3 drops after washing my face, morning and night. It makes your face SUPER soft and absorbs quickly without leaving your skin slimy and slick.

It also REALLY helps combat redness, partially due to the fact that the oil is naturally green-colored. Red's complimentary color is green, and when the two are combined or layered, they neutralize one another.

It's also 100% non comedogenic. It's a stable oil (it won't change viscosity much due to temperature) and its particles are not large enough to clog pores. I've spent my whole life thinking that oils will break you out, regardless of the kind of oil, which I'm slowly learning isn't 100% true. In fact, it's calming my skin and fighting my break-outs, partly because I think my skin isn't cranking out extra sebum to combat the dryness I've been experiencing. It's great!

The ONLY draw-backs are that 1- the bottle doesn't include a dropper and it's easy to accidentally dispense too much and 2- my husband hates the smell. *shrug* Totally worth it, regardless.

on 2/2/2014 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I love this multi-tasker! I add it to my conditioner, body, and face lotion. It is marvelous at locking in moisture, without leaving a greasy feel. No break-outs, and it helps calm down irritation. I fill up a small .5 oz squirt bottle with this, and put the rest in the fridge to (hopefully) keep the oil from going bad as quickly... A little goes a long way.

on 10/14/2013 7:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I waited about 2 months before reviewing this oil. Previously I used Jojoba oil, which works great when mixed in with a body lotion, especially in the colder months, but it was too clogging to use on my face this past Summer. I was already suffering from very clogged pores and the Jojoba just wasn't cutting it. I've been using the same regimine for about 30-45 days of washing my face using a "cleansing oil" (different from the OCM, or Oil-cleansing Method, in that I do not use Castor Oil and I do not steam my face).

The cleansing oil I make myself using 8 parts Organic Hemp Seed Oil (I like the Dr. Adorable brand you can buy off of Amazon.com...previously used Life-Flo brand and it smelled very odd and was a darker green color. The Dr. Adorable brand is a pale yellow color and is almost odorless). The other 2 parts of the cleansing oil are Peg-7 Olivate and Polysorbate 80 - both are emulsifiers, so that the oil will bind to water and rinse cleanly away. I buy the emulsifiers from Garden of Wisdom's site.

I typically follow up with a 2 % salycilyic acid toner (alcohol free) from Garden of Wisdom, or "lightly" apply plain Hemp Seed oil to my face if it is dry. This combo has helped clear my pores...still some clogs, but since I'm dealing with hormonal-pregnancy induced acne, almost in my 3rd trimester ...I'll take what I can get. :) I really love this stuff! I've also rubbed it into my back and shoulders after every shower as I've had painfully dry itchy skin on my back since becoming pregnant. This helps.

Popular Treatments (Face)