January 27, 2015 | 1998 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric Mask

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2015 1:48:00 PM More reviews by rubianoalanis

Adds a glow to my skin. Clears up acne and lightens up acne scars. Exfoliates my skin. A little messy because of the staining but its totally worth it

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2015 7:03:00 PM More reviews by yalcrab

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you have hyperpigmentation from acne scarring, then this is a cheap and effective solution to help lighten dark spots and brighten your face overall.

I mix the following as a mask and leave on for 15-30 mins then rinse off:
-1 tablespoon plain yogurt
-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
-1 tsp raw honey

The yogurt is mildly exfoliating and reduces the likelihood of staining (yes, turmeric stains your skin [and counters and clothes] if used straight--just trust me, use the yogurt to avoid this), and raw honey is anti-bacterial and a natural humectant (helps retain moisture).

I just use turmeric found in the spice aisle of the grocery store. It does have a mustard-like effect in that it gives off some heat and makes your eyes water, so I'd go easy on it the first time using it. I'd recommend using this mask several times a week while also incorporating a product that has vitamin C (NOT lemon juice!! Much too harsh for your skin). This isn't an overnight miracle, but it does make a noticeable difference with repeated use and it's especially effective on recent scarring. You could also add some rice flour (another effective skin brightener), but the consistency will not be as smooth.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/7/2014 8:05:00 AM More reviews by Clxer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

The base of all the masks is :

Oatmeal : two teaspoons (Any oatmeal is fine, be it instant or just the normal ones)
Yogurt : one and a half to two teaspoons

To customise your masks according to your skin's needs you can try:

1. Tumeric

Great for: anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and said to be anti-aging
(source)

Directions: add a pinch of tumeric powder to your base mask

Tumeric is a spice commonly used in indian cooking or in curries. You can find them at the spice section of your supermarket. It's really cheap too, I got it for SGD $ 0.80 for a 100g packet.

I use this ingredient in conjunction with the honey when I suffer a serious breakout. Although the base mask is great for soothing current breakouts, it doesn't help to prevent future breakouts, especially breakouts caused by bacteria. (I talked about the causes of breakouts in my post: Clear Skin: The Cause & Tips.)

However, I found that adding the tumeric inhibits the ability of the yogurt to brighten, whiten and reduce redness. So you can alternate between this mask and the base mask.

Note: adding too much tumeric may sting or burn your face. Also, I would advise against using non-fat yogurt for this mask as tumeric needs the fat content to dissolve. Otherwise, it might leave a slight yellow residue on the skin. Fret not, a cleanser followed by a toner can effectively remove that yellow tint.

To read more ways I customise my masks:

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by SuzannCovic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh my god just because it turns your face red and burns doesn't mean you're allergic to it. But haha think what you want. I've been using this mask for a year and it burns the hell out of my face and makes it red but the results have been drastic. Love this so much!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/30/2014 3:44:00 AM More reviews by Bingadila

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Instead of using the conventional yellow turmeric, I so happen found a white turmeric (curcuma mangga) that's even more potent and beneficial than the yellow ones. The biggest advantage is that of course it doesn't stain like crazy, but it is stronger so I couldn't put it on my face for more than 10minutes. The result is also better, cleared up my skin almost instantly though bigger acne may take some time to heal. I've read health articles and journals, and even consult with several shinse, the white turmeric is on their top list when treating people with cancer. I cannot tell for sure, but I've since taken it internally as well.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/25/2014 7:39:00 PM More reviews by dvvords

I just mixed the 100% turmeric powder with some water and gently put it on my face all i got to say is I HATE THIS SO MUCH!!!! it burned my face and left it so red and itchy i will not recommend this to anyone!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by fiyacrackeryaz

I started using this stuff about a week ago. I was experiencing a really bad breakout from God knows what. I mixed up a mask that included turmeric and an equal part of the aztec healing clay that I have and I use apple cider vinegar to create the paste. Sometimes i may add a little but if coconut oil, which is my staple moisturizer, so that the mask won't be so drying. The turmeric has really helped clear the breakouts and preventing new ones so far. It helped heal the breakouts in double the time if I wasn't using any kind of mask. I also think the turmeric in combination with my black soap and coconut oil regimen has helped reduce the amount of scaring I get from breakouts. So far so good and it will remain a staple product for me from here on out. Sometimes i even mix my turmeric with my liquid black soap to get an extra affect. It doesn't stain me too bad and I've also noticed a great glow.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2014 2:34:00 AM More reviews by jianing23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

my skin is so much nicer! it seems to glow and just looks a lot healthier.
so cheap and simple

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2014 3:24:00 PM More reviews by bltyler1

First of all, I know many reviewers are complaining about the yellow staining of Turmeric. This tells me that some users have not done the proper research, & are using FOOD GRADE Turmeric.

For COSMETIC use, you need "Curcuma Aromatica". It will not "stain" your face. It will easily wash off. The staining typically occurs from using typical Food Grade Turmeric, which often has added dye for a more vibrant color!!

When using Curcuma Aromatica, you will have great results healing your skin of acne, improving skin tone & luminosity, I promise!!! You only need a very small amount for each mask, and at $12 for 1/2lb bag on amazon, it's extremely affordable, and an excellent value since it's so effective. You can find many great masks recipes online, but do your research :).

ALSO - turmeric is an awesome teeth whitener! Just make a paste with the turmeric & some water, brush teeth for about 2 minutes, swish mouth water until it runs clear, and you will be amazed!

12 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2014 12:33:00 AM More reviews by ylangylang123

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I mix turmeric powder with raw honey (since I am not allergic) and use it as a mask for about an hour a day for breakouts until my skin is clear. For me it has worked better than any over the counter topical acne product. The honey counters any drying effects of using it plain or only with milk (washing with plain turmeric would be too irritating for my sensitive skin). Raw honey is antibacterial and a natural moisturizer so it enhances the benefits of turmeric plus it helps the turmeric from caking or flaking off your face. I use a witch hazel toner and cotton makeup remover pads to wipe away the yellow staining which is actually just residue.

It's easy to gently wipe off the stain that's left after washing with cleanser. Use a good non alcohol toner and cotton pads (although I am very pale so it takes two cotton cleansing pads soaked in toner). If you don't exfoliate regularly you may stain more and need more toner because the yellow pigment grabs onto the dead skin cells, but otherwise it should not be a problem. Wear clothes you don't care about because it's much harder to wash out of fabric if at all.

Compared to how much commercial/prescription skin care costs, it's a godsend recipe for your wallet without side effects unless you are allergic to raw honey or turmeric. If you don't have acne, this mask still brightens, smooths, minimizes pores and evens out your skin.