October 2, 2014 | 1836 users online

Eye Shadow - E.L.F. - Brightening Eye Color - Brownstone

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 8/16/2014 1:09:00 PM More reviews by subahe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product does not have a good pigmentation at all, so I ended up using just one colour (the second lightest one) out of the four shadows, because I could not get any colour payoff, although I used an eye primer underneath. With a good pigmentation, it would have been a great neutral quad with a gorgeous colour combination for everyday use

rated 3 of 5 on 7/28/2014 6:24:00 PM More reviews by MasksOffMasksOn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love elf products, and I think they make pretty good eyeshadows. This quad is great because you get 4 rich pigment shadows, which you can use for building several looks, day and evening... My 2 problems are the fast that these shadows suffer from major fall out, and I did not like the triangle shape of the eyeshadows, because it's making it a little hard to reach with a finger or a brush...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 5:58:00 PM More reviews by seaswan

First off this quad isn't frosty like some other elf quads but it's not matte! The finish is satin.
The four hues are: cream, warm beige, dark gray/brown, charcoal.
The darkest shade is the charcoal which has almost no pigment. The cream,warm beige and gray/brown have decent pigment.
Like many of the elf quads when you put two colors next to each other they blend into a uniform shade, not good. The longevity is okay with a primer/base.
Overall" I'm not impressed, they are a dollar but that's what they're worth.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Aethernaut

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

You get a combination of four really well chosen cool, neutral colours in this quad for less than the price of a coffee. They are almost completely matte, with the subtlest fleck of glitter. I know what you are thinking, but seriously. You really can only see the sparkle if you stare hard at the colours in the pan, they do not read at all once on the skin.

The two browns on the right of the palette are lovely; very well balanced to compliment each other as lid and crease colours. They have decent pigmentation and look good with blue eyes - every colour in the quad will make blue eyes pop but I bet they will also work on green eyes and flatter a variety of skin tones.

The paler colours on the left of the palette look great but I find the darker of the two is very hard to work with and has minimal colour payoff. Frustrating as it is a beautiful latte shade and looks like it would be really pretty as a brightening daytime lid colour. The peachy highlight colour is decently pigmented and works well as a colour wash and subtle highlight on my skin. It is slightly more satin in texture than the brown shades.

These colours apply well, blend beautifully and work so well together to create a harmonious daytime neutral eye, and I have succeeded in deepening the look into a smokey nighttime one just by building the colours. There is a bit of fallout from the darker shades but I just do my eyes first and remove any stray powder from my cheeks with a wet wipe.

Staying power so far has been great - I've neglected to use primer under these and still found myself with a decent looking eye at the end of the day. They stay put on me and do not crease.

The quad is small, so if travelling with a minimal cosmetic bag this is actually something I think I will reach for in future. The colours are so flattering and well matched I don't really need anything else for my eyes.

The only disappointment about this astonishingly classy quad is that unworkable latte shade. I am incredibly happy with this quad and will happily purchase again and again.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2013 3:55:00 PM More reviews by kristina93

I love the shades in this quad, but the pigmentation is non-existent (at least in my one). I've used it a couple of times, but every time I've had to really dig my brush into the product to pick up the colour and it takes so much building up of the shadows for them to even show up that it just isn't worth it. However I love the Day2Night quad, which is really pigmented, so I just think there are going to be hits and misses with these quads.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 8:26:00 PM More reviews by MissRaffix3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Let me just say that I love how compact the packaging is! Perfect for throwing into a handbag.
The brown colors have a pretty good color pay off... I just wish the lightest color (the peachy one for highlighting) had a better pay off. It hardly shows up at all!
But this quad is great for a natural, every day look. Plus since it's only $1, it's totally affordable.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Nekura

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a great cool-tone neutral palette for a buck. The 2 lighter colors needs to be broken in a bit however I don't have a pigmentation problem with any of them once used. The colors are a nice satin/matte finish so it gives a very sophisticated and polished look. No frost/metallics or any risks of looking overly done during the day. The packaging to these are always really cheap but I've yet to have these break and I like how it's pocket sized to be honest! Doesn't take much room to pop these in a small makeup bag for the purse.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 10:09:00 AM More reviews by blooiejagwa

The two dark colours rock, the light ones are poor quality n chalky. Would rebuy for the dark pair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is an ok quad. I was hoping for much darker shades but they all came out light on me (which is great for an average everyday look but that wasn't what i wanted in this). This isn't my fav quad but it isn't terrible either. Unsure if i would buy this quad again, i guess i would since its so cheap.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2011 2:10:00 PM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE QUAD EVER! this quad is amazing for any look esp since its a quad is matte shadows! super amazing!
~~~~~~~~~~~~ PRICE/AVAILABILITY ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Elf Brightening Eye Quads can be found online on the Elf Website in all shades & varying quads can be found at Target stores. This quad will only cost you $1 USD. YES $1 its so dirt cheap but ive paid so much more looking for shadows like this!
~~~~~~SHADE/FORMULA/PERFORMANCE ~~~~~~~~
The Brightening Eye Quads vary from shadow to shadow some are better than others but "Brownstone" contains 4 amazing quality shadows. They are all pressed well & apply & blend great. They show up great- def would always suggests primer & even adding a cream base will help with pigmentation, staying power & creasing. I always prime my eyes. It helps significantly. I love the smooth soft shadows in Brownstone. All are matte, no shimmer so you get 4 great matte shadows for so many looks or even adding to your daily looks. Nice natural day time looks or can be darkened up for nite time smoky looks. I love this for everyday. They are pressed pretty well but will notice some loose powder if you tap real hard with brush. They go on nice & blend without fading. I love every single shadow & get so much use out of it-
from left to right:
1st shadow- this is a great cream cool toned shadow thats great for all over wash to even out lid or i love to use this as a matte highlight under brown bone for a natural pick me up.
2nd shadow- this is a great skintone matte shade that for me is 2 shades darker than my skn tone. its a cool toned skin tone brown gray taupe that be great for crease or blending out crease shade. Its so pretty- my favorite out of all of them since ive looked forever for a shadow like this
3rd shadow- a cool toned dark chocolate brown shade. great for natural outer corner area to define the eye & open them up. This is one of my fav matte browns. its so pretty, dark enough too for a nice smoky eye. can be built up or sheered out
4th shadow- this is a very dark charcoal almost blackened gray shadow. this is great for outer corner definition or using for a dark smoky eye. great alternative to a black but its dark enough. i like this instead of a dark black since im super pale
All 4 shadows are super pigmented & all go great together. you can use them all or use them seperately. I love em all but esp the 2nd shade but the matte highlight shadow is great too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ PACKAGING ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These quads come in a rectangular compact about the size of my palm. super compact but great for on the go makeup bags or purses. I love the size since they dont take up hardly any room in my storage. They are petite but dont let it fool you. The top snap shut lid is see thru so you can tell what quad you are picknig up. Shade name is on sticker on back w/ ivory plastic. Sturdy plastic keeps these safe but not the sturdiest so be semi careful. It hasnt cracked or broken but my one quad from Elf, the lid is always coming off but the hinge is easy to put the lid back on. They include a double ended foam applicator if needed. The shadows are in a line in triangular pans. They go in odd or corresponding line. This one goes from lightest to darkest which makes it nice to know which one to use next. each pan seems small since some brushes couldnt get into the corners of these shadows w/out being careful to touch the next shadow since theres no space between each shadow, but you do get a decent amount of shadow since the pans are deeper than most I dont like the shape but its not too bad since i can work w/ them all. I do suggest tapping brush since these may be not be pressed to well & blow off any loose powder in the pan. I dont mind the packaging, it works & its small & i can take these anywhere & a whole bunch of them since theyre so small but it could be sturdier. I cant complain too much since theyre so dirt cheap & the product is what i care most about & these shadows are awesome!
Overall, Brownstone is my favorite quad ever i think. I def have bought a backup since i use it all the time & always worry that they may quit makin it or it be out of stock. I def will repurchase over & over when or if i ever get through the shadows. if you only like one or 2 of the shadows, its def not bad to pay $1 for even one or 2 of the ones you get through first. I love it & def recommend for everyone to own since matte shadows are hard to come by for such a great price. I love this & know everyone can get use out of it!