October 31, 2014 | 1491 users online

Brows - Shu Uemura - Hard Formula Hard 9

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by kikidaisy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

The BEST brow pencil I've come across. I have Stone Grey and it is THE PERFECT shade for dark brown to black brows. Texture is hard and doesn't go on skin easily which is a good thing when doing brows as it lends to a much more natural look. Doing my brows have become so much easier with this pencil, I used to hate doing my brows but I actually like doing them now! It will last a long time too so it's not expensive. I will repurchase over and over again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Expensive but truly worth it. Looks completely natural. I bought the color stone grey and if anyone LOVED the charcoal grey Maybelline brow pencils that got annoyingly discontinued, this Shu Uemura pencil in this particular color is all you will ever need. It's a long pencil, and I would not have it sharpened in the special long flat shape they recommend-sharpening to a regular point for me is preferred-because I'd worry about it getting wasted and not lasting as long. Maybe I'm wrong but it's the perfect scenario for me anyway. A little goes a long way and wears so well that the price is justified I think. THIS EYEBROW PENCIL IS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION! :-) I will absolutely repurchase as long as I live!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2014 3:47:00 PM More reviews by Mooo00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One of my all time classic favourite makeup products! I have bought more than 3 of these and want to try different shades. This is extremely good for colour and shaping the brow due to the oil base for my dry skin and the angular tip that it is sharpened at, the colour is very natural and builds up very smoothly. I really like the natural look that it becomes over the day, it tends to change on my skin. After about 6 hours of wear, particularly in the summer, it tends to melt away slightly but I usually don't top it up on a normal day because it has a very organic look. One pen for me usually will last a year because you don't need to use a lot, apply at the front of the brow and brush outwards. Highly recommend it for people with dry/normal skin.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/19/2014 6:57:00 AM More reviews by lovedollygirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

My brows are sparse and thin. Aside from that, I have oily skin. I usually use powder but I just wanted to give this a try. I had to resell it bcos it slides off easily since I have oily skin. Very easy to build up, in terms of color but I didn't find it long lasting.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2014 10:20:00 PM More reviews by Klonophunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Swatch L: Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer in Blackened Brown. R: Shu Uemura Hard 9 in Stone gray 05.

I bought this pencil to replace my previous HG, Revlon Colorstay Brow Enhancer in Blackened Brown, which was discontinued and also $10+ for a product that lasted a few months of almost daily use. The Shu pencil will last years provided I don't lose it- it's that long! So, even though I spent nearly $30 on this pencil, it's a bargain compared to my old option.
Next, on to the flattering color, which is PERFECT on my somewhat sparse asian brows. I was afraid of getting a pencil (bought it on Amazon.com) that was too well, gray. But, as you can see in the swatch, the color is mostly cool yellow and ash brown with minimal red. The seal brown, which I saw swatches of online (do a google search!) looked too red-orange-brown (too warm) for my taste.
The formulation stays true to color and stays put all day. I have fairly oily skin near my eyebrows because of the sunblock/moisturizer I wear, so this stuff is pretty tenacious. I haven't had any issues with too little pigment or a difficult application even in areas with no hair. It goes on easily and smoothly, looks natural, stays, color is perfect. Love it and recommend!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2014 3:43:00 AM More reviews by Cath12

I don't know why but my eyebrows have never looked better than when I use this product. I have used Smashbox Brow Tech, Make up For Ever Brow Seal and Benefit products. All were good but this is another level altogether. Don't be put off by needing to get the pencil sharpened at a Shu Uemura counter; once they did it the first time, hubby has been doing it for me ever since with a Stanley knife.
Love this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2013 6:48:00 PM More reviews by galai_curryqueen9830

This is my new HG brow pencil, I am in love with this!! I bought this because I wasn't satisfied with the color of my MAC brow pencil, nor with my Anastasia brow wiz in Medium Ash so I decided to try this in Stone Grey

If you swatch it on your hands, barely anything will show up. BUT. The color beautifully shows through when you apply it on your brows. The color is super pigmented, but not too drastic as it still allows you to blend the color with a spoolie. The color is beautiful as it matches my black hair colour 100%. All the other brow products I've tried were either too brown, or too red-tone. Unlike other brow products, this does not contain any wax - so if you have long brow hairs, i would recommend using a brow gel. I don't need a brow gel to set my brow hairs in place as my brow hairs are pretty short from my constant trimming.
The color stays put for a good time, I did not notice my eyebrows fading after 5 hrs of wear (which is pretty average for me).
I got this brow pencil at Sephora so the pencil was not shaped like a naginata sword. However, if you purchase it at a Shu Uemura store/counter, they will definitely shape it for you. Even with a regular pencil tip - I still found the application super easy and beautiful.
The brow pencil is really long - longer than most brow pencils. This could be a downside depending if it will fit in your make up case/bag, but I personally don't mind.
I got this for $29 Canadian at Sephora, and you get 0.2 ounce (according to Amazon). It might seem a little bit more expensive, but considering how you only get 0.003 ounce from Anastasia's Brow wiz for $27, the extra two dollars are worth it as this pencil will definitely last you at least a year, even with daily use.

Overall - this is my favorite brow pencil yet. The shade is on point with my natural brow color (I have black hair), and applies wonderfully. It is expensive, but will last me over a year as you only need the smallest amount for beautiful brows. I will definitely repurchase this brow pencil, and will recommend this for ANYONE who has trouble finding an eyebrow pencil that matches their black hair/eyebrows!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/6/2013 6:57:00 AM More reviews by Arcanist

I bought this pencil recently in Seal Brown. Seal Brown does contain some red. It isn't a real reddish brown like most brown eyebrow products, but it is not completely ashy either. Previously I've been using Illamasqua Eye Brow Cake in Gaze, and that, although described as grey, is actually a cool brown. It is darker and greyer than the Shu Uemura in Seal Brown.

My eyebrows are naturally dark brown but I use dark brown dye on them to get the little hairs and also roots and tips dark - anything to make the sparse ends look fuller. This pencil is a good match, it is dark enough but could be a bit cooler. I might buy Stone Grey as well to see if its a better match.

The pencil is as others have described - it is difficult but not impossible to overdo and the shape in which it is sharpened definitely makes application easier when compared to regular point sharpening. About that. The pencil is sharpened for free at Shu Uemura counters but you can do it yourself if you are not inclined to make the trip every time you want the pencil a bit sharper. The wood is actually rather soft and very easy to cut. I was not entirely happy with how the SA sharpened it, I wanted more core exposed, so used my Swiss Army knife and it worked perfectly. It is nothing like sharpening a graphite pencil with a knife, if you have ever done that - it is much easier. The core is also softer and because it's wax-based, offers little resistance to the knife. Basically, you have to be careful so as not to overdo it but it is entirely possible to sharpen this pencil yourself. Maybe placing it in the freezer beforehand would make it even easier.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/9/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by orngeppyseed

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I believe I've been using this for for just over a year now.
Note: I have light brows but I let my brow hairs grow, so I just need it to fill in and lightly shape my eyebrows.

It's not very waxy like many brow pencils but lasts pretty well throughout the day. I never bother to touch up my brows and I find that I don't need to.

I use it to fill in any gaps and slightly extend the outer "tail" end of my brows and I find the result to be very natural looking. It can be applied very lightly or be built up to a bolder shade and it's easy to work with.

I personally don't like the look of brow powders or pencils standing out in colour from the actual brow hairs because I find it to be too obviously draw in. So the shade Stone Gray works well with my naturally black (with a brown tinge) hair. I think the black shade would look too harsh as I have naturally light brows.

I believe I still have about 2/3 of the pencil left to use. I think it's great value for money so I will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/17/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by frostbites

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

A magnificent eyebrow pencil, among the very best in terms of appearance (looks very natural if you apply it correctly, not creamy like some other brands) and value for money (lasts for years, I would even say it's inexpensive considering how long you'll be using it).
My only gripe is the color. First I had it in a too dark Seal Brown and hunted online for Acorn until I finally came across it, but it was still a tad dark. I am a pale ashy brunette with some natural golden highlights, even the lighter and warmer Acorn seems slightly too severe on me. It's not an ideal match but I make it work.