September 30, 2014 | 1875 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Roche Posay - Biomedic Retinol 15

rated 5.0(1 review)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2009 6:17:00 PM More reviews by agl112

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

To start, let me say that I have very sensitive, redness prone skin and that I used Paula's Choice BHA products for several years with great success until I had to stop because my skin became too sensitive to BHA. During the time that I was using BHA successfully, my skin was much oilier and then over a year ago, my skin began to change and become less oily (but still oily not completely dry) and I figure that this is typical for someone like me in my mid 40's. When BHA worked for me, my skin was clear, smooth and my pores practically invisible. So, when the red bumps and irritation became more pronounced over time as a result of BHA use, I quit using it altogether when it became apparent that no matter how much or how little I used BHA, my skin simply couldn't tolerate it anymore. I went back to basics to get my skin back under control and rid myself of the redness and irritation. A good cleanser and moisturizer was the extent of my skincare regimen for several months. But, like others, I wanted something to take my skin back to the nearly flawless level that I had while I was using BHA.

When I learned about retinol in Dr. Leslie Baumann's book "The Skintype Solution", I was very hesitant to try it but I wanted something to take the place of BHA and render the same great results without the redness and red bumps I had developed. I had read that retinol not only addresses wrinkles but can reduce acne and can act as a mild exfoliant. I figured that if this could be milder than BHA, then it could work for me. First, I tried Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Intensive Night Cream and it worked very well. I've been using La Roche Posay's Rosaliac and Toleriane lines very successfully and was curious to try their retinol products. Since I don't know what strength the Neutrogena product is (the company doesn't disclose this on their packaging), I decided to start with the 15 to avoid any problems. Even so, I applied this product over a moisturizer (Olay Active Hydrating Fluid Sensitive Skin) just as Dr. Baumann recommends to avoid irritation. I was very pleased to see that my skin responded favorably and looked really smooth, clear and redness free after just one application. The consistency of the LRP product is somewhat lighter than the Neutrogena which feels heavier. I really like this product and will continue to use it. The LRP retinol product comes in levels 15, 30 and 60, and while many people start with 15 to work up to the highest level, I don't know if my skin will be able to take that. I'm satisfied with the results that the 15 gives me.