December 20, 2014 | 1273 users online

Shampoo - AG Hair Cosmetics - Re:Coil Curl Activating Shampoo

rated 2 of 5 on 7/28/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by damblues

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have thick, curly hair and need moisturizing shampoo/conditioner. After a disastrous fling with WEN, I tried AG Curl Activating Shampoo and a moisturizing conditioner(another review).

The smell is nice but while washing my hair and rinsing my hair felt like straw and tangled up. This makes my hair dry and frizzy, not soft and curly. I bought this at ULTA when they had a big sale on the supersizes. Taking it back. I cannot imagine anyone with curly hair, unless their hair is baby fine and oily, liking this for their curls or their hair.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2014 12:35:00 AM More reviews by emodel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like the smell, and the packaging is nice, but it didn`t make my hair all that curly, and it made it kinda dry. That is one thing I noticed with most curling shampoos that they can dry hair. The Aveda curling one did the same thing. DevaCurl or Kerastase didn`t work either. Not on my hair at least. This is an ok shampoo but I wont buy it again. I think I will really stick to Pureology and Aveda (new dry remedy sh is awesome!!!) for moisture and make curls with styling products. :-)

rated 2 of 5 on 1/18/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by intheflatfield

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

What works well for one does not always work well for another. Apparently I'm another. I tried this shampoo in combination with the matching conditioner resulting in the worst hair days I have seen on myself in ages. I have long, fine but not thin, wavy hair that's got some splits but is overall fairly healthy. My waves turn into loose curls very easily with the right products, and this line is very much so not the right product for me. While it lathers really well, smells nice, and didn't make my hair feel dry or tangled, it left my hair with *less* waves/curls than normal, and it left it oddly frizzy and poofed looking (in a weird way that I don't really even know how to describe, and I don't think I've ever experienced with any other shampoo/conditioner before). The results were just bad. I used it for a few days trying different products cocktailed with it, but it didn't matter what was used the results were consistently bad. I also noticed a lot more shedding than normal for myself with this line. Just a total no go for me. The fact that it did not seem to dry my hair out (for the few days that I used it at least) is what saves it from getting a 1 from me.
Ingredients: Water/Aqua/Eau, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate, Ammonium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, Cocamidopropyl Betaineamide Mea Chloride, PEG/PPG-120/10-Trimethylopropane Trioleat, Lauret-2, Acrylates/PEG-10 Maleate/Styrene Copolymer, Polyquaternium-47, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Polyurethane-14, Ampacrilates Copolymer, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Amino Acids, Stearoyl Coadesaturase(SCD-1), Lactobacillus Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Fruit Ferment Extract, Keratin Amino Acids, Dimethicone PEG-8 Meadowfomate, Hydrolyzed Oats, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Acetamide Mea, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hyaluronic Acid, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Sorbitol, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis(Jojoba) Seed Oil, Thocopherol, Sulfur, Sodium Pca, Tetrasodium Edta, Citric Acid, Parfum/Fragrance, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by Sweetheart7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

So all my life I have been an avid user of Pantene. Recently though I just felt like my hair isn't getting as clean and moisturized as it could/should. During the Beauty Brands Liter Sale (which I definitely recommend anyone to go to when it comes back around because the deal that you get is jaw dropping) one of the ladies recommended this shampoo since my hair is naturally curly and I have never colored it.
With this product a little goes along way, I would say I use about a quarter size amount. It depends on if I have products in my hair or not. I do like how my hair doesn't feel stripped after I rinse it out. That is one of the reasons I have stayed with Pantene so long because with other shampoos, my hair felt so stripped after.
One thing I did not like about this shampoo though, is the citrusy scent. I am not a huge fan of citrus but I am willing to over look the scent because I feel that the product did a good enough job and the scent isn't going to keep me from using it. Another thing would be that it doesn't come in a pump bottle. I am a huge fan of pump bottles so I was a bit disappointed with that because sometimes it is a bit hard to hold onto.
Overall, a great product for me. I wish it came with a pump and non citrus smell but my hair doesn't feel stripped or dry. Personally I wouldn't have bought this if the Liter Sale had not been going on because of the original price but I am glad that I got it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2013 9:36:00 AM More reviews by lblasucci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have never been so excited about a shampoo that it would make want to write a review. This was recommended to me by a curly girl hairstylist. I really didn't want to spend $20.00 for an 8oz. bottle of shampoo and conditioner so, I kept it in the back of my mind for "next time." About a month later, the litre bottle ($50.00) was on sale at Ulta for $20.00 (they do it 2x a year.) I couldn't resist...long story short my hair has never looked so beautiful, curly, shiny and healthy. I shampoo and condition and then add some Deva Curl Angel Gel, throw a few clips randomly in my hair and let it dry naturally. Once it's dry, I flip my head upside down and toss! Bellissimma!

PS - Yes it's pricey, but I did give it five lipsticks for price, because it's so amazing that it's worth every penny.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by autumn95

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I originally got a 8 oz. bottle of this shampoo free when I purchased a tube of Recoil Curl Activator. I used it up and then purchased a litre size from my local Cosmo Prof.
I am able to purchase product from Cosmo Prof as I have an esthetics certificate.
I like the smell and do find it hard to describe. Maybe like citrus candy?
Hair type: Wavy/dry/highlighted
Usage: Once weekly at most (alternative with Mastey Traite) and I do conditioner only cleansing other days in the week.

I do recommend for dry wavy, curlies if using once or twice a week and you prefer non-sulfate. I think the Mastey shampoo is gentler and sulfate free (decades before the big push). Good lather for a non-sulfate and a thick, concentrated shampoo formula. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2009 9:59:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

- Skip down to 'final consensus' for short summary of overall thoughts on product -
* Check out my notepad to read more about my skin and hair, as well as about products/techniques I currently use! *

What it Claims:
"A mild, sulfate-free curl activating shampoo formulated to maximize curl retention and control frizz, while creating inconceivable curls or soft, causal waves."

Claims - True or False?
1) Mild: True. My hair does not feel like straw when used.
2) Maximize curl retention: True. My hair is on the wavy side, and not all areas curl naturally as much as the others. This is the only shampoo I've used that after showering, my curls actually curl.
3) Control frizz: False. It does help, but I still experience problems with frizz when using this shampoo.

Packaging:
This shampoo comes in a sleek grey-white plastic bottle, and has a press-down lid. There is no cap to flip open, meaning it is not going to become weak and break. The opening is large enough to get out a decent amount of product without over-doing it. Provides you with the ingredients list as well as directions, so it's easy to know exactly what is in there. The bottle is not transparent in any way, so it may not always be easy to know exactly how much is left, but you can pretty much guess by the weight difference. Quite slender and fits comfortably in smaller hands and works nicely in the shower.

Smell:
Although this does not have too strong of a scent, it is noticeable when using but does not linger on the hair once rinsed out. I'd probably say that it smells a bit like licorice, although it's not really a smell that I can personally distinguish. Not my favourite fragrance, but as it doesn't linger, it doesn't bother me.

Consistency:
This shampoo has a nice pearlized cream consistency that lathers up nicely without the use of SLS. Unless you use a large amount, it does not lather up in your hair all that much, but it still cleans the hair without the high lather factor. A good median thickness; not so thin as to run between your fingers but thin enough so easily spread it through your hands. It is quite moisturizing, so on my oily scalp it can cause oils to be noticeable within 2 days or so.

Ease of Use:
Simply dispense a small amount into the palm of your hand (I like to use a quarter-sized dollop or less on my shoulder length hair), work through your hands and massage into the hair. Rinses out after a few minutes under the shower-head, and it's easy to use the bottle itself without it flying about in the shower or slipping out of your hands while using.

Bang for your Buck:
This is a salon brand, so it is on the pricier side. At my local salon, the shampoo alone costs $20.00 for 8 fluid oz. and in my books, that's a pretty good deal. The shampoo, when used either every other day or every two days, lasted me at least 6 months. For those that use shampoo less frequently, it may very well last up to a year. I personally purchase the shampoo and conditioner in a set (comes in a cardboard box), which costs around $32.00 all together, which makes for a saving of almost 10 dollars if you want to purchase both the shampoo and conditioner. If purchased at a larger salon or supply store, you may be able to find a jumbo size.

Final Consensus:
Although not a HG product by any means, it's one of the only shampoos that I've had no issues with in terms of causing more damage to my hair or drying it out, and it does fulfill most of its claims moderately well. I do recommend it for gals with wavy or curly hair who have yet to find a system that works for them. I recommend that this shampoo only be used a few times a week at most - it contains proteins, which could lead to weakening of the hair over time if used to often.
- Pros: Mild, works well at defining curls and waves, well priced for a salon brand, pretty easy to find here locally, a nice consistency without being overly lathering.
- Cons: Somewhat off-putting scent, can be a bit drying on its own (worked best when combined with oil), does not help with frizz as much as I'd like it to.

Overall Rating: 5/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again: Yes.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No