October 22, 2014 | 1289 users online

Fragrances - Penhaligon's - Amaranthine

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by theresasampson

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Billed as a "corrupted oriental" I find Amarinthine to be a unique creamy white floral supporting a lovely banana/banana leaf note. For me this is love with a twist. Zazie has listed all the published notes/ingrediant. Of these I find the most characteristic are the corriander/cardomom spiced banana open supported by ylang & jasmine. The cream of the condensed milk & vanilla in the base rises to the top & is detectible throughout develpment. For me I feel this doesn't have stages but settles & melts into skin leaving a milky musky vanilla.

This can be a bit sweet for some or possibly cloying if not a fan of white florals. My 12 yr old niece said it smelled like lifesavers candy.lol. her nose prefers grassy/ rooty/ fresh green scents but she didn't mind the sugar in this at first.

I went through a 100ml shared with others & bought another 100ml upon possible news of this being discontinued. I find it too unique to let go & feel its a unique "fruity floral" & "white floral" in my collection. Some compare to Patous sira des ides but that is more a pear note to me not banana..it does have the spicey
creamy element going for it though.

Obviously this perfume gets a reaction!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2013 11:21:00 PM More reviews by woodland

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

The thing about this scent is that I can completely see why it's brilliant in its own way. I enjoy many of the notes - the warm milky banana and slightly indolic jasmine. If only it stayed that way. Unfortunately the smell of bum crack and ancient armpit BO ramps itself up my nostrils like someone who's been on the booze for a few days and was wearing filthy clothes in the first place.

Not sexy, not soft, in fact extremely harsh. I admire Duchaufour's experimental approach, for example I really enjoyed the opening of Enchanted Forest, his most recent release (pure Christmas and Cassis Liqueur) but that too dried down to an odd note - a manly patchouli aftershave.

I could have coped with a touch of Amaranthine on my wrists, but the final shock was the ammonia hit 1 hour into the fragrance - it was like I'd been sprayed by a tom cat. Seriously I do wonder if my nose is hyper sensitive. I can't find out what kinds of musks are used in this perfume. I certainly like the notes of musk in, for example, Bulgari Black or Donna Karan's Cashmere Mist (clean warm cat fur). I'm very familiar with Rochas Femme which my Mum wore and that was an animalic musk - quite nice - leathery, and I love the earthy 'dirt' note in Goutal's Ninfeo Mio, but Amaranthine just takes it to heights unknown - monster cat pee for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Womanity

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Gorgeous scent ! So unique, it make me feel so privilege to wear and becoming posh ! Love it a lot and will buy again definitely.

I don't understand when some people here saying it's dirty smells or bad girl smells bla bla ... I don't think so, it probably strong at first sniff but after it dry down....Wow, this is heavenly. I can sniff myself all day long, and when out to work. To be honest, I don't smell anyone wears this scents like myself.

Amazingly, stands out !

A Beautiful scent for choosy person ;)

rated 1 of 5 on 10/14/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by skinnyfooted1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I don't know why anyone would ever want to wear this. It is truly awful. It's a scrubber all the way. Maybe you're lucky and have fantastic body chemistry with this, but on me it just smelled like salad dressing - and not good salad dressing either. Instead it smells like the kind you throw out because it has fluorescent mold growing in the bottle. It has a sharp toxic smell to me. Very chemically.

Update: I put a normal amount on my arm earlier to make sure it was as bad as my first impressions. Throughout the day I kept feeling my nose twinge and I was wondering what that awful rancid smell was - "oh yes," I kept thinking, "it's Amaranthine."

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2011 9:15:00 PM More reviews by ashleydutta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I just don't understand the reviews that say this is "dirty" or "bad girl" or "sexy". What? When I first smelled this, the first words that came to my mind were "soft, innocent, creamy floral." I let my husband smell it and he said "pretty, delicate floral." If I can imagine someone wearing this, it would be a children's Sunday school teacher on Easter morning! It is the exact opposite of dirty or bad girl! I think the softness of this fragrance comes from the combination of white freesia, orange flower, tonka bean and condensed milk (this is the listed notes) - this creates the ultimate creamy floral - it's just beautiful, and I usually don't like florals! So I feel like I am reveiwing something different from the people who call this fragrance bad and sexy...very strange!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2011 5:03:00 AM More reviews by Giggio

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite Penhaligons scent. It smells like being on holiday in a paradise getaway....Fantastic and makes me happy.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2011 3:49:00 AM More reviews by ajblondie

I really wanted to love this fragrance after reading so many reviews on it but sadly it is not a perfume that I can pull off, It would be like doing the walk of shame every day that you wear this perfume, I would love to be this 'bad' girl, who doesn't? but I m just not her.
I can however appreciate this perfume for the masterpieve that it is, the dry down for example is stunning, a woody musky note that I just had to keep sniffing, I can strongly smell the banana leaf in this perfume but mixed with the musk it gives it that 'bad' girl skanky edge, I would still recommend everyone to try this perfume but I suspect there are only a priviledged few who can actually wear it.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/3/2011 1:14:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This smells very similar to another fragrance I used to have. I can't remember the name of it, but it was something I bought from duty-free in Athens airport. It was in a clear glass bottle shaped like a woman's abdomen, with a pierced silver hoop belly ring with a red heart dangling from it. I wore that fragrance exclusively for several years until it ran out. It bought it in 2004, so clearly was a precursor to this.

The top and mid-notes smell very generic to me. I was enjoying the tropical banana leaf note somewhat in the top notes, it gave it a slight tang of something different, but overall didn't really impress me. The drydown is even more disappointing. The woods smell very fake to my nose, all synthetic, and the vanilla makes it plasticy. This just smells like a bad copy of that other perfume I had (it was an EDP). Too bad I can't remember the name, but overall it has that generic, department store fruity floral vibe I don't like anymore. Would not revisit this one. Not exactly a 'scrubber,' but I'm in no hurry to ever smell it again!

Another note: I get only a very clean, over-sweetened cumin, nothing dirty in the slightest, and NO creaminess whatsoever! Just generic fruity-floral, identical to that other perfume.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2010 10:01:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Amaranthine is undoubtedly one of the most unique combination of notes that I have had the chance to sniff. It sits at a crossroads of comfy, milky, spicy and exotic, and I feel very much at home with this line of exotic. I guess this is because Amaranthine takes its references from the most realistic cardamom - a spice I enjoy using in my milk and sometimes in my tea and milk. Therefore, this is a new understanding of exotic fragrances to me, rather than the usual exotic white flowers than often put a distance between me and themselves. With a single spritz, Amaranthine starts green, but this is a soft, steamy, pastel green on me, almost like leaves and cardamom crushed in a pestle and mortar. I can sense banana leaves in it but Amaranthine is everything but milk and bananas. At this stage it is a combination of a slight bitterness, a slight sweetness and a slight spicy note that never bites or turns into B.O. on me. These notes are the main elements that will show their faces from time to time. The mid-notes do not erase but add to these notes and although I can't single out all flowers, there is a ylang-ylang feeling to it. Penghalion's carnation and clove are also there. I can't say that I'm fond of these notes, but unlike some other Penghalion's fragrances, they do not disturb me here. After approximately three hours, the base takes the center stage and it is very very connected with the top notes, with milk and cardamom creating the most unique skinscent that I own. It is creamy, in the sense of natural cream, slightly sweet but not one bit cloying. With more spritzes though, Amaranthine turns into a spicier, clovier and hotter scent with sparkling spices showing their teeth rather than the caressing cardamom. With a tiny spritz, it is a Zen and calm fragrance to me and that's how I'm planning to use it. There is something in it that makes me thinks of an imaginary wintery, spicier and milkier version of Ellena's Un Jardin Apres la Mousson.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2010 7:16:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I don't get the "sexy" thing about Amaranthine. I asked my husband and he said "very pretty":. Amaranthine opens green, then dries down to a pretty, soft floral with a little spice. I totally agree with resemblance to Angelique Noire. I guess it's the green top notes and cream or vanillic drydown. It's very nicely composed, with good sillage and lasting power, but "corrupted floral"?

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No