October 31, 2014 | 1466 users online

Hair Color - Surya Henna Cream

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2014 6:48:00 AM More reviews by fotoula66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm allergic to ALL hair colouring products containing ammonia or peroxide or both, in any percentage.I've done my research years ago,when I started having grey hair and this brand is one of the two brands I solely use.My hair is thick,a bit coarse,oily in the roots,dry at the ends and prone to frizziness.This colour cream by Surya Brazil covers effectively enough my grey hair,giving them a lighter color shade than the rest and thus creates a highlight effect I love.No accelerator mix.My hair is medium brown and I alternate among shades like:Dark brown,Chocolate brown,or Mahagony for a redder hue.I also mix two shades for a more special tone.My hair needs one and a half bottle of 75ml for full coverage.The result is beautiful because the hair gains shine and it is very well conditioned.The colour result of the shades I described always tends to a lovely red brown hue that all henna products leave on the hair which I adore because it matches my tone of skin.Of course the coverage is temporary and it fades after 8 to 10 washes and then I do a touchup to the grey areas and It works fine.I also use the colour fix conditioner of the brand after every wash which is a leave in product of good quality.It must be used on shampooed and towel dried hair and must be rinsed afterwards.The waiting time for colouring my coarse hair is about one hour but my hair LOVES this treatment.I have found it for $12 a bottle online.There is even a better product for me in the market and I will review it later!Thank you for reading!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2014 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ThinMinti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used both the Ash Blonde and the Dark Brown. Both of them went over previously coloured hair that had been done with chemicals and bleach. Surya restored my hair to vibrant and shiny and silky states. I like how the colour turns out so multi-facetted. What I love even more is that if you want to adjust the colour, you can and not have to wait until your hair is stable enough to take more dye like when you use chemicals. The dye is actually GOOD for your hair and only improves with each application. I can't believe I wasn't doing this 10 years ago. Don't know the staying power/grow out of the Dark Brown yet but will update.
Also, for those of you who are prone to hot-roots when dying your hair with a standard developer and chemical colour, this will be a god send. It only deposits and doesn't need to process. The dye is released upon squeezing it out of the bottle and stains your hair immediately.
*UPDATE* Been using this in black now because my hair would always fade to a red tinged which was very unflattering. The black cancelled the red. Colour lasted for 21/2 weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Flaneuse64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Happy Hair!! For me this is the Holy Grail of semi-permanent, non-damaging haircolor. I almost didn't try Surya because I'd never heard of the brand (and it's always on the bottom shelf at the health-food stores), but thanks to a lot of positive online reviews I tried it and OMG, it beats the other haircolor products I've used, hands-down!

It doesn't stink. It doesn't burn my eyes.
It goes on smoothly with great "slip" and rinses easily.
The bottle is small but there was enough solution to coat my shoulder-length hair.
It colored my grey hair completely.
It wears off gradually so there's no roots.
Unexpected bonus: it made my hair feel great!

I'm a caucasian with thick, coarse hair that is about 25 percent grey. My hair is unruly but healthy, because I rarely blow-dry it and had not colored it for 3-4 years. Per the directions, I washed my hair, and then took the extra step of doing a rinse with an apple-cider vinegar solution. I used the Light Brown color and (also per the directions) left it on for one hour. Afterward my hair looked great, felt divine, and was more manageable overall (no frizz). The color was a little darker than I would prefer, so next time I'll try Golden Brown.

I love the way this makes my hair feel! It's almost like a treatment and a color combined. The color seems to coat the hair with something that makes the hair cuticle smooth without feeling waxy or heavy. I did notice a little bit of color bleed with the first wash, so I slept with a small towel on my pillow just to be safe. (The towel is not white and I didn't notice any bleed on the towel afterward.)

I don't understand why this haircolor isn't more well-known. Mostly I'm writing this review with the hope that it becomes more popular so they keep making it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by jweg23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's a little expensive unless you order it online, and it's only a temporary color ...but, my hair is happier, healthier, and the longer I use it the longer it seems to "keep". Roots are also barely noticeable because it washes out gradually. I sure my light ash brown hair a medium brown henna to give it more dimension. I really like it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by littlebird246

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I decided I like this stuff. I have been pretty happy using "natural instincts" in either darkest brown, or a mix of darkest brown/midnight. But the lure of a more "natural" formula persuaded me to try this.

First time I got the "black". I was worrried it would be too dark, so I left it on for about 45 min. That wasn't enough I guess, because my 20% gray was stained a medium blond color, which I didn't care for. The rest of my hair was good, shiny and dark dark brown. I wasn't that happy with it,but I got a ton of compliments on my hair, so I decided to try again. I got the "black" again, and left it on for almost 2 hours, and I am satisifed with the results this time. Grays are kind of a pretty dark auburn. I like!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 11:09:00 AM More reviews by pinkydinkydo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this stuff, and was happy to see that Whole Foods in this area started carrying it. I have been using this for a number of years, and I mix and match a bunch of colors to get slightly different variations. Right now, it's copper, chocolate and light brown. . It comes out a medium copper, luscious. I do not follow the directions (wash hair, etc.). I just apply it to my dirty hair, put TWO shower caps on top, wait about 1-1/2 hours and then rinse. After I have finished rinsing I use a no-poo on it (Deva) or Jessicurl cream cleaner, rinse and then use Deva conditioner. My hair is shiny and healthy.........

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by HollyIvy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE this stuff! I'm in my 50's, lots of course, grey hair that's pretty tough to cover, even with salon dye. I got tired of paying a salon over $50 to color my hair, plus I hated sitting there, someone told me about this stuff so I picked up a bottle at Whole Foods. We all know Whole Foods ain't cheap, thought this was a virtual bargain there at $12.99 especially compared to the price I was paying for salon color, but after the first bottle I decided I had to have more so I did a little research and got it online at Lucky Vitamin for less than $8 per bottle. I tried the Chocolate color first, it covered the grey just as well as regular dye, but picked up a little too much red, maybe because it was over the salon dye or becasue my hair naturally picks up red, so I got the Dark Brown, looks a lot darker, but I know it will lighten after a few washings. The color stays pretty true for approx. a month, I try to only wash my hair 2 times per week, it really doesn't bleed on the towels, also no drippy mess, and odorless. I have short hair, but I use the entire bottle just to make sure everything is covered, although it does say you can save it once opened.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by car0ism

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product and it ruined my hair so much that I had to grow it all out again. Be careful as the product contains metals which can dry your hair out. Not all henna products will dry your hair out but make sure that you have researched your product properly first. Stay away from Surya.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by chanap

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The best I've been able to find for a natural haircolor so far. No PPD, loads of shine, softness, good natural shades, and more outrageous reds, if you want that. I've used regular haircolor both before and after this, and unlike true henna, it was fine (ymmv).

Downside: 1. bleeds for several shampoos, gets on towels (mine washed out), 2. not sure if there are any gold or ashy tones. (Tried several reds, and the light and dark browns and all ran warm as they faded). Based on reviews here, you might try chocolate or the mixing the blondes in for other tones. 3. It coats and doesn't lighten.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Kickit

I'm miss "sensitive to everything". I can't stand perfumes and chemical odors and I'm getting some gray. I tried the more expensive products (Palette by Nature), but didn't get the desired look, plus the smell, even though not bad, did me in. I had some of this Surya that I had bought, and decided to try it. I'm not used to coloring my hair, so I felt like I was very messy at it. I decided to put some on. I bought the chocolate brown, even though my hair is probably a bit darker, with about 15 to 20 percent gray. Most of my gray, of course, is in the temples and in the crown of my head. Some of the other reviewers said the top doesn't come off and you have to cut it, but there is a little top you can pull off (it's on tight) and then clip the tip underneath. Then you can reseal whatever you don't use. It does come with gloves, but the next time I will use my own gloves, because I felt clumsy with the baggy type gloves. First let me say, that it has no smell to me, which I love. I slathered it on my hair and didn't leave it on the entire time. It left my gray hair stained a golden color and made my brown hair a little deeper. I only left it on a half hour. I'm going to try it again this weekend and put it all over my head. It is messy, but that could be my fault, because I've not used this before. I would highly recommend this. My hair looks so pretty and my grays are stained a nice golden color. I'm going to leave it on longer and see if goes into a "tea" colored stain. If you are sensitive to chemicals, give this a try. And if you are new to coloring your hair, make sure you have a few old towels, wear an old shirt and have a hair clip or two if you have long/shoulder length hair. I'm very happy with the result. I'm 49 years old and look about 10 years younger even with grays, but wanted to color them. good luck :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No