April 16, 2014 | 969 users online

Hair Color - Surya Henna Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2014 11:23:00 AM More reviews by jweg23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It's a little expensive unless you order it online, and it's only a temporary color ...but, my hair is happier, healthier, and the longer I use it the longer it seems to "keep". Roots are also barely noticeable because it washes out gradually. I sure my light ash brown hair a medium brown henna to give it more dimension. I really like it!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2014 1:10:00 PM More reviews by littlebird246

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I decided I like this stuff. I have been pretty happy using "natural instincts" in either darkest brown, or a mix of darkest brown/midnight. But the lure of a more "natural" formula persuaded me to try this.

First time I got the "black". I was worrried it would be too dark, so I left it on for about 45 min. That wasn't enough I guess, because my 20% gray was stained a medium blond color, which I didn't care for. The rest of my hair was good, shiny and dark dark brown. I wasn't that happy with it,but I got a ton of compliments on my hair, so I decided to try again. I got the "black" again, and left it on for almost 2 hours, and I am satisifed with the results this time. Grays are kind of a pretty dark auburn. I like!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 11:09:00 AM More reviews by pinkydinkydo

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love, love, love this stuff, and was happy to see that Whole Foods in this area started carrying it. I have been using this for a number of years, and I mix and match a bunch of colors to get slightly different variations. Right now, it's copper, chocolate and light brown. . It comes out a medium copper, luscious. I do not follow the directions (wash hair, etc.). I just apply it to my dirty hair, put TWO shower caps on top, wait about 1-1/2 hours and then rinse. After I have finished rinsing I use a no-poo on it (Deva) or Jessicurl cream cleaner, rinse and then use Deva conditioner. My hair is shiny and healthy.........

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by HollyIvy

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE this stuff! I'm in my 50's, lots of course, grey hair that's pretty tough to cover, even with salon dye. I got tired of paying a salon over $50 to color my hair, plus I hated sitting there, someone told me about this stuff so I picked up a bottle at Whole Foods. We all know Whole Foods ain't cheap, thought this was a virtual bargain there at $12.99 especially compared to the price I was paying for salon color, but after the first bottle I decided I had to have more so I did a little research and got it online at Lucky Vitamin for less than $8 per bottle. I tried the Chocolate color first, it covered the grey just as well as regular dye, but picked up a little too much red, maybe because it was over the salon dye or becasue my hair naturally picks up red, so I got the Dark Brown, looks a lot darker, but I know it will lighten after a few washings. The color stays pretty true for approx. a month, I try to only wash my hair 2 times per week, it really doesn't bleed on the towels, also no drippy mess, and odorless. I have short hair, but I use the entire bottle just to make sure everything is covered, although it does say you can save it once opened.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/24/2013 4:52:00 AM More reviews by car0ism

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this product and it ruined my hair so much that I had to grow it all out again. Be careful as the product contains metals which can dry your hair out. Not all henna products will dry your hair out but make sure that you have researched your product properly first. Stay away from Surya.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/12/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by chanap

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

The best I've been able to find for a natural haircolor so far. No PPD, loads of shine, softness, good natural shades, and more outrageous reds, if you want that. I've used regular haircolor both before and after this, and unlike true henna, it was fine (ymmv).

Downside: 1. bleeds for several shampoos, gets on towels (mine washed out), 2. not sure if there are any gold or ashy tones. (Tried several reds, and the light and dark browns and all ran warm as they faded). Based on reviews here, you might try chocolate or the mixing the blondes in for other tones. 3. It coats and doesn't lighten.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by Kickit

I'm miss "sensitive to everything". I can't stand perfumes and chemical odors and I'm getting some gray. I tried the more expensive products (Palette by Nature), but didn't get the desired look, plus the smell, even though not bad, did me in. I had some of this Surya that I had bought, and decided to try it. I'm not used to coloring my hair, so I felt like I was very messy at it. I decided to put some on. I bought the chocolate brown, even though my hair is probably a bit darker, with about 15 to 20 percent gray. Most of my gray, of course, is in the temples and in the crown of my head. Some of the other reviewers said the top doesn't come off and you have to cut it, but there is a little top you can pull off (it's on tight) and then clip the tip underneath. Then you can reseal whatever you don't use. It does come with gloves, but the next time I will use my own gloves, because I felt clumsy with the baggy type gloves. First let me say, that it has no smell to me, which I love. I slathered it on my hair and didn't leave it on the entire time. It left my gray hair stained a golden color and made my brown hair a little deeper. I only left it on a half hour. I'm going to try it again this weekend and put it all over my head. It is messy, but that could be my fault, because I've not used this before. I would highly recommend this. My hair looks so pretty and my grays are stained a nice golden color. I'm going to leave it on longer and see if goes into a "tea" colored stain. If you are sensitive to chemicals, give this a try. And if you are new to coloring your hair, make sure you have a few old towels, wear an old shirt and have a hair clip or two if you have long/shoulder length hair. I'm very happy with the result. I'm 49 years old and look about 10 years younger even with grays, but wanted to color them. good luck :)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2013 6:04:00 PM More reviews by deliberateangel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I love henna but don't always have the time for the whole process. I bought this on a whim after reading some good reviews. I bought black for my dark brown hair. I wanted to keep the color even and add shine. I also find henna helps my curls stay curly, it doesn't loosen them but the opposite.
The cream smells like Egyptian Musk perfume and is very syrupy. I didn't care for the small bottle and little nozzle.The first time I applied using the little bottle and my hair and used 1 1/2 bottles. The results were also too intense.
I found it's easier to put in a mixing bowl and apply with a brush. If I recall this is how the directions do not recommend, which makes sense. It would allow you to control the application more and use less product, therefore buying less.
The cream was easy to apply. I put the given plastic cap on and then a fabric cap. I left it on for 3-4 hours and I have very coarse hair. It came out very dark and intense. The next time I used it, I used 3/4ths of one bottle and mixed with hair conditioner and olive oil. This left a much more natural result. In my opinion, this stuff is rather concentrated.
I really do like this and think I will switch to just using this. It's so much easier to use than the powdered henna. The results lasted without fading for about a month. It slightly started fading then so I reapplied. It really does have great staying power. I also can say the color just went away, it didn't fade to red or orange.
The only cons I can think of are the weird little bottle, slightly high price and that it bleeds the color for about two weeks. After I would co-wash my hair, I would see some color in the shower water and it did stain my towels some. The pro's totally outweigh the cons as the ease of use, great scent, easy to find at most health food stores and Whole Foods, the results and benefits of using henna.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/2/2012 12:44:00 AM More reviews by Thegoodbadugly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I don't follow the directions since I'm trying a lo-poo to no-poo method while wearing my hair styled in 2-strand twists. I am using the black cream and i apply it selectively to the grey patches on dry, unshampooed hair, baggy for 1 hour, apply conditioner, and then rinse very well. It covers my grey hair very well for about 2-3 weeks then after that time I have red-colored grey hair. I'm pleased though because of the convenient dispensing bottle, lack of peroxide, the ability to reapply it without waiting for weeks, and it does leave a nice shine to my hair. I have not experienced any "dripping" of color even though I spritz my hair daily. When I was using Naturtint (which does contain peroxide and phenylenediamines, high hazard rated ingredients), I noticed that my hair was becoming very dry and brittle.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/22/2012 3:08:00 PM More reviews by Sesigold

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using Surya Henna Cream-Mahogany for the past year and I love it. It covers my grey completely. Plus I have dreadlocks and it works perfectly with them. I started out using Mashoor Gold Henna and it worked great but the process of mixing and sitting and taking all day for the henna to dye the hair was just too time consuming. Then I decided to try this product and it worked perfectly. It's quick, easily rinses and not as messy. Plus it makes my grey a beautiful Mahogany color and whats left of my dark brown hair a rich extra dark chocolate color.