NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

3.3

on 5/21/2015 12:18:00 AM

I bought this because I actually like primers in pots (normally I use the MAC paint pot but I was low on $$ last time I ran out). What a waste. It's a nasty yellowish tint and if I didn't cover every millimeter of it, I looked jaundiced. The texture is alright, but a bit too thin and greasy for my tastes. And frankly....it didn't work. Like at all. I don't have extraordinarily oily lids, but my shadow would be entirely in my crease by mid-day when I used this. I waited for Ulta's Beauty Days sale and bought the Smashbox primer half price. still not as good as MAC but a huuuuge step up from NYX .

on 4/13/2015 12:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I previously bought this in white and I liked it a lot. I still have a lot left. But I picked this up to use mainly as a lip base, since the white will change the color of lipstick too much and the lip primer in the stick was a lot smaller, so I figured this would work. I also looked into the 'reverse liner' but some people said it could be weird looking so I went with this. So far, so good. I like the texture of this. It feels almost creamier than the white one. I find it makes my shadow last and stick just as much as the white one, which I found worked well also. This is just a bit easier to appy because of the consistancy. It does work as a lip base just NOT with nudes. That's kind of obvious but I did it and my color was horrific with this shade really taking over (concealer lips). But with darker shades it really helps keep it on and in place, and since it's an eye primer too I figured I'd have a use for it either way.

I also like this because it doesn't have cyclo-siloxanes, like the HD primer does. I can't use them, so even though the HD one got great reviews, I'm glad they have other, decent options as well. Plus this lasts a long time.

on 3/25/2015 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I bought this off of Hautelook, so I got a pretty good deal with it. At first, I used to really like this product because it gives me a clean slate to work on with my eyeshadows. But the more I read the reviews, the more I realized that people were right. This stuff creases like crazy especially if you put a lot of it on. It holds the eyeshadow fairly well but I don't think it makes it more pigmented or anything. It also tends to settle on my fine lines the longer I wear it. Nothing special, really. If I were you I'd save my money and invest on a better primer than this.

on 3/7/2015 12:12:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

OH boy, do i wish i read reviews before purchasing this product. GIRL, if you are reading this, WALK AWAY CHILD and WALK OVER TO THE ELF EYE PRIMER.

Normally, i start with the pros but this is so shitty, i had to start with the CONS.

CONS
- price. holy shit, for 1-3$ i can buy an EFFECTIVE eye primer from elf. This thing cost me 10$
- I hate the pot. I just hate it. you have to use a brush everytime to get the product out. my nails are long, i cant stick my fingers in the product. to make matters worse the brush picks up to much product.
- if you use to much product you get very visible creasing! I MEAN VISIBLE. like tiger stripes.
- its not easily blendable, especially if you have lose skin my like me. my god, just dont
- if you have oily lids, droopy lids, or hooded lids, its highly likely this will crease on you.

I cannot say this enough, do not buy this product. chose any other product than this.
ive got this crap creasing on my eyelids MULTIPLE TIMES and badly. just walk away.

Pro
- the skintone colour covers my redness. Thats the only nice thing i can say about this product. it covers the redness. but really....

I unfortunately have a full jar of this crap and am constantly shying away from using it. its such a waste of money. but because i am such a cheap person, i still use it as a base for when i do only eyeliner looks. literally just nothing but this and eyeliner on my eye.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

on 2/11/2015 12:44:00 PM

This is a big no for me. I have oily lids, and my shadow creases with this within a couple of hours. Very disappointed. It's very thick and not easy to spread, but that would be ok if it worked.

I have also now tried layering UDPP over this. Still horrible. My eye makeup looked so bad within a few hours. What a waste.

on 1/26/2015 10:50:00 PM

Definitely not for oily lids. My shadows kept creasing after about 4 hours. Plus it's so thick that I had a hard time getting it to my lash line so I couldn't test how well it helped with eyeliner.

Edit: I tried it some more and holy cow it irritated my eyes so much. It just got worse every time I tried it and I can't keep it on for more than 5 minutes before the irritation made me take it off.

on 12/21/2014 12:18:00 PM

i use this to highlight & define my brows , its easy to blend . i like it .

on 12/11/2014 6:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This product was average to me, it didn't do alot and I have oily eye lids so I need alot from a product.. I liked the price it was fairly cheap and it does even out my eye lids, but thats about all it did, my eyeshadow didn't last any longer then if I weren't wearing an lid base, it smells kinda funky too, on the latex side. I don't hate it, i'll probably use up the little pod (which I adore) but I won't be repurchasing

on 12/2/2014 11:20:00 PM

The stuff is average.I wish I will love this as the price is good for the amount of product you will get, however my heart holds no love for this product. It does give the exact same color from the pan, and it helped control the glitter bomb effect that my UD eyeshadow (forgot the shade name) is notorious for. It prevented the glitters from falling and landing everywhere on my face but that is expected of any primer. The color/intensity lasted for a good 2 hours but it faded after that. I'm thinking it's me.. I have super oily lids. So no..not impressed. I agree with the reviewer who said this stuff isn't for girls with oily AND hooded lids as I am exactly that person. Off to search yet again for the HG eye primer I suppose.
Update: I used this in conjunction with an eyeshadow from theBalm, and boy, what a weird combination. It visibly reduce the intensity and changed the color of the eyeshadow. It was especially obvious in the glittery shades as it made the "matte" color stick out more. I thought I was imagining it but I tried to use concealer from my Cinema Secrets palette in my left eye and this in my right and I could tell and feel the difference. Everything was different from the application, intensity, color payoff and length of wear. After a long day, the right eye had almost no eyeshadow. Ugh, 1 star.

on 11/22/2014 11:34:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I like this product! It made my eyeshadow long lasting, I use it in the morning then at afternoon time I wash my face for prayer, my eyeshadow still there! Like it!