October 25, 2014 | 1626 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Remington - Shine Therapy 1" Conditioning Flat Iron

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2011 5:01:00 AM More reviews by RinaRose

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing straightener. Straightens perfectly. And lasts a VERY long time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

After discovering this for under $50 on Amazon, I consider myself absolutely insane for having spent over $200 on other straighteners. This is absolutely incredible, and straightens my hair just as well - if not better - than my previous favorite, the Chi.

This straightener goes up to salon standard heat - I use it regularly at 410 degrees (my Chi only went up to 365). At that heat, no humidity is a match for my straightened strands, and it takes only one swipe for each section, so it cuts down my styling time.

What's nice too is the lock feature. The temperature placement is such that without the lock feature, it would be easy to either change the temp or turn the iron right off. By pressing the (-) button for a few seconds, your temperature of choice is locked in place or unlocked so you can turn off the iron.

This is supposed to be coated in avocado, and some have complained of a scent coming from the hair or the iron, but I haven't noticed it at all, and I'm quite sensitive to scent.

All in all, I am absolutely in love with this little thing, and will never be without it. For someone with frizz-prone hair like me, it's a total godsend. Run to your Target or log into your Amazon account - get it now, no matter how much you love your current iron! It's that good.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 9:47:00 PM More reviews by poppyglitters

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Fantastic straightener! At first i was a bit skeptical cause it was only $40 (on drugstore.com) and it claimed to emit conditioners like avocado&vitamin E while straightening, but it really works! I absolutly love it, it cuts my straightening time in half, and the result is perfect smooth shiny pin straight hair! I've tried this with my hair products (keihls leave in conditioner, keihls straightening balm, (then straighten), then a few spritz of TX special effects shine spray. and i've tried it wwithout any products and it looks great! This is such great quality for such an affordable straightener! It has a cool lock feature where if you hold the (-) button it locks the temperture and it wont change or turn off no matter if your press any buttons (and trust me it so easy to be randomly pressing buttons while using this straightener) but for some odd reason in the manual it says to hold the (+) button to lock but it doesnt work. It smokes a bit which is kind of weird, but it doesnt make my hair burn or smell smokey so i guess its okay. BUt i absolutly love this straightener! HG for sure will be repurchasing this most definitly!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 10:06:00 PM More reviews by DrugstoreGurl321

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love love love this flat iron it does wonders to my hair which is thick frizzy and curly

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2010 12:27:00 PM More reviews by sarah1nicole

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I don't know why I haven't written a review on this yet! I used the old version of this for a few years now. I had used a cheapo $15 Conair straightener before this, and what a difference! This makes me hair super straight and shiny in no time. I have to do more than one pass over my hair, but I have super thick, frizzy, curly hair, so I feel like that's a given. I have never used a high-end straightener, so I can't really compare to a Chi or ghd. I had thought it had lost this during a move and was forced to buy a Sally's Chi knock-off for $70+ and I hated it! I was so happy when I found the Remington in a random compartment in my backpack months later. I have no snagging with this straightener, not that much damage, and no weird smell like the Sally's I had. I can use this to curl my hair too, and works great on my bangs. The "shine therapy" actually works. There is avocado infused into the plates, and it shows. I absolutely love this straightener, and fear for the day it finally dies. My friend bought the newer version of this and it sucks! I'm so sad they don't still make this version. At only $45, this was a steal!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2010 11:42:00 PM More reviews by mandyja

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this due to the reviews, price and need. I needed a flat iron just to touch up my hair when I blow dry it.

For reference I have fine, very wavy hair

I paid around $30 at Walmart for this.

Great price for a small budget but this snags my hair like no other. . I have so many broken pieces of hair in the sink and sometimes I can hear it snagging(ouch.) I used it on the lowest setting(300) so I know it is not an issue of heat. I also noticed that my ends were starting to get very dry and I get regular trims and take very good care of my hair.

I wanted to like this and I'm sure anyone would for the price but I definitely don't think it lives up to the hype. The reviews are great so I'm happy it works for some-but not for me. I much rather use my Solia which is cost just a little bit more but doesn't snag or damage my hair.

Would not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2010 2:25:00 AM More reviews by beautifulbones

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this straightener after my old one gave up on me midway through doing my hair. I got it from Big W for a high (or at least on a high school student's budget) price for around AU$90 - $100.

The outer packaging is what got me first, mainly with the gorgeous box it came in. The box itself has a small drawer which holds a travel case which is handy when you go on holidays and it also contains a mirror, though I don't use it.

The straightener itself it easy to use (as well as easy on the eyes, with it being silver and quite eye catching) and it has adjustable heat settings which goes from 160 - 230, beeping once it's fully heated.

When I first used it, I was so shocked to see that it just GLIDED through my hair, detangling my knots and giving it a smooth and shiny appearance. As my hair is quite thick and wavy (almost reaching curls) it used to take me forty minutes to achieve my desired straight look with my older ceramic iron but with this one I'm done in twenty to twenty five minutes!

It doesn't leave it frizzy though at times the static from the plates causes my hair to stand on end :P A quick brush through after I'm done and my hair looks completely natural! I also use this on my front bangs as it leaves them straight with heaps of volume.

I've tried this for curls as well and it works quite well, leaving them gorgeous and as loose or tight as I wish for them to be. The day after they're still in place so that saves me time on my morning routine.

All in all, I give this product five lippies because it's completely worth it! Depending on the price however, I might consider buying a GHD or FHI as I found it to be too expensive for my budget. But other than that, a definite must for hair!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2010 7:02:00 PM More reviews by tonkoffu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

After reading the reviews on this product I went out to get one for myself and I love it! I bought it from Myer for $40 (it was on sale and I had a $20 voucher) but from my research the price will vary from $60 - $130 so look around. The product itself is awesome. I use it to create curls/waves and it does the work flawlessly without damaging my hair. The straightener just glides through my hair. The heat setting is adjustable and there is a lock function to secure the heat setting so you don't continuously press the buttons, which is quite nifty. Definitely recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 12:15:00 AM More reviews by orea_eleni

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Huge rave. I have dry, wavy, frizzy hair and was considering BKT for the past 3 months until 1/2 hr ago after using the remington shine therapy flat iron which got raves on the hair board.When I flatiron my hair never looks shiny or healthy or stick straight no matter how many passes. >:( I have been using a Hai and previously the original Chi and thought they were ok. I returned my ghd because it gave me so many split ends and only gave slightly better results. But this remington blows them all out of the water with one pass, and I only had it set to 370! I'm in love:)

rated 3 of 5 on 5/26/2010 8:03:00 PM More reviews by cardinalfire

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, here's the deal. I'm a thick, thick, thick poufy BSL 3c/4a dry texturized AA hair who straightens by following a flatiron behind a section of hair pulled taught with a boar brush, after letting it my air dry with a leave-in and adding an oil and silicone-based heat protectant to each section as I go.

This was better than my Revlon ceramic flatiron but not as good as my FHI. I lemming-ed this (shame) seeking something that might be healthier for my hair than the FHI, which does not have temperature controls (as if such a thing as "healthy" flatironing exists).

PROS:
(1) Left my usually fluffy looking hair shiny
(2) High heat levels
(3) Inexpensive
(4) Relatively effective

CONS:
(1) However, this did not straighten as well as the FHI, even at the same temperature as my FHI. It took more than one pass, and was bulk to handle, especially with a brush in the other hand.
(2) Left a smoky "dirty iron" smell in my room and in my hair - I guess this might dissipate but I don't want to wait for that
(3) Has a bulky (and ugly) outer case that is hard to maneuver
(4) Is not seamless between the plates and the outer case of the iron - which means my baby hairs get snagged and makes it more difficult to execute a flip or curl than the FHI
(5) Left my hair feeling stiff

This is not for you if:
(1) You need the high heat settings of a high-end iron (lower heat means more passes, less effectiveness, and more damage for me)
(2) You use an appropriate heat protectant, and you don't need the one infused in the plates
(3) Your routine requires some dexterity

This is decent, but not magic.