November 20, 2014 | 1681 users online

Eye Shadow - Tarte - Femme Naturale Eye Palette

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 2/10/2013 1:24:00 AM More reviews by girlnextdoor

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this palette, but it's an occasional use product for me. All but the odd pale pink one look good on, and the darker shades are perfect for smoky eye looks. The lighter ones are great base colours. I just don't find myself reaching for it very often, and I'm not sure why. The case is cute, but the zipper flower is bulky, and I have an odd problem with bobby pins getting stuck to magnetic areas. That little problem is probably just me. The eye shadows are kind of powdery and fallout can be a problem. I probably won't use this up enough to warrant a rebuy.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2012 9:53:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love Tarte, I really do. BUT. As you can see from my ratings above, I do not like this palette.

The shadows are mostly decently pigmented (the lighter the shade, the less pigment they contain), but they are hard to blend and are VERY powdery. There is lots of fallout when you pick up color with your brush, which is a big bummer. Also, the selection of colors in this palette leaves something to be desired... They just seem randomly thrown in with one another.

The last thing I'll say is that I cannot STAND the packaging. I know they're trying to be cute, but really I don't need this patent vinyl case with the giant rosette thing on the front... I just want functionality. The product would likely have been a lot less expensive if they went for a typical container rather than this weird thing. I won't repurchase this, simply because I rarely use it and don't find the shadows to be that great. You can get much better shadow for a lot less money... or try the Tarte cream shadows; they are a revelation! I just will most likely not buy any more powder shadows from them.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/12/2012 11:55:00 PM More reviews by lizzieloo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've come to really hate this palette. I bought it for $45 at Ulta because I liked the look of the colors, but over time...let me explain.

The shadows are all chalky. They blend badly, particularly with each other. They are not truly shimmery, but rather seem like a soft dusty satin with some strange sparkle thrown in. I question why I bought the palette in the first place sometimes. There are so many strange pink-toned mattes. The best shadow in the palette is the green, but even then it doesn't measure up to a normal drugstore eyeshadow. The dust from these shadows fills the purple palette. They are extremely soft, but not in a good way. Once in a while, I'll come back to this palette to try and make it work, but I just can't. The quality isn't there and the shades are just bizarre. The brush in it is oddly my favorite eye brush ever, but that still doesn't make up for the crappiness of the shadows.

Bleh.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/11/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by luminablue

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got this palette during one of Tarte's sales. The palette is composed of mostly neutral colors and has both shimmer and matte eye shadows. They are fairly pigmented and are easy to blend. The color payoff is good, and the shadows work nicely with a primer. I can get the shadows to say for a good 6-8 hours. You get a good amount of product too - I believe each eyeshadow is about .06 oz.

The palette comes with a double-ended brush and pencil eyeliner. The brush is of good quality. Although I liked the idea of a double-ended eyeliner (one side is bronze, the other plum), I do not use it very often. The color shows up fine on me, but I don't like how it tends to tug on my skin (and I tend to prefer liquid eyeliners in general). Along with that, my palette came with a free sample of their eye primer. I've heard of some people getting a mini-mascara with theirs, so I'm not sure if that varies or not.

The palette itself is sturdy and has a strong magnetic closure. It has a generous-sized mirror and comes with an instructions card for two looks. The eyeshadow pans use a magnetic base and are refillable. Even with the good points, I am not a big fan of the packaging. While the case is very pretty, it takes up quite a bit of space (because of the flower attached on it). And even though the eyeshadow pans have yet to fall over or crumble, they just don't feel very sturdy in general. I can't see myself using this palette when I'm traveling.

I took one point off; however, Tarte's Femme Naturale is definitely one of the better palettes I own. The option of purchasing refillable pans from Tarte is nice. I will probably do that when I run out of a couple shades (unless buying a new palette would be cheaper).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/12/2011 12:39:00 PM More reviews by mybeadifullife

I love the shadows in this palette! I got it as a gift. I like all the colors, they are very pretty, soft colors, with a mix of both shimmer and matte, although most are shimmer.

I found the eyeliner to run a lot on my eyes, even on top lashes. Terrible eyeliner.

edited:

I also love the brush! At first I put it aside since I already have brushes, but I recently started using it again, and have fallen in love with it. One side is a large shader, and the other side is a round blending/crease brush. The brush is soooo soft, and works really well.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2011 3:54:00 AM More reviews by khaki116

I think I got this at $20 or so...I'm not impressed at first b/c the color looks so dark and old, but later on, I found the colors are amazing!!!!!!!!!! Each of it is very pigmented and the colors do stay on forever!!!!
Love, love, love!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/17/2011 9:50:00 PM More reviews by Sisterhazel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have light yellow-toned skin with hazel eyes and dark blonde highlighted hair. All of these colors look good on me, I haven't found a color in the palette I cannot wear (they are shades of pink, buff, gold, bronze, purple, green, brown, dark navy-slate). I find the pigmentation is fine - they aren't completely sheer, just natural looking, but with enough payoff to be noticeable. The brush is of good quality, and the double-ended eyeliner is nice, too. Overall, a good set of shadows/liners for a variety of looks.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2011 3:42:00 AM More reviews by verynicehowmuch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am so completely in love with this palette. I bought it on a whim, and it's one of the best purchases I've made at Sephora (and I've made a lot!). It's like it was made for me. My colouring's unusual, so it's difficult for me to find shades of eyeshadow that flatter me, especially palettes. I have very, very fair skin, dark blonde hair and dark brown eyes, and almost every shade of this palette looks incredible on me. The shades are:
a soft, shimmery buff (kind of a pale, milky beige colour), a matte nude brown (like butterscotch), a super-shimmery rosy gold, a super-shimmery (and quite pigmented) mossy olive green, a matte warm cocoa brown, a shimmery pale gold, a matte, pale lavender pink, a shimmery, golden mauv-y plum (my absolute FAVOURITE eyeshadow shade), a shimmery bronzy brown, and a slightly shimmery, dark grey-ish navy.
I use all of the colours, some more than others. But all of them none the less. The pale gold, cocoa brown, golden plum and dark navy the most. The moss green is my least favourite, it looks a little heavy on me so I don't wear it much, and when I do, it requires a lot of blending. I cannot express how much I love the plum shade though. It looks amazing with my brown eyes, and I get compliments on it all the time. I would honestly shell out for the whole palette just for the plum shade alone. It's that good! I wear the gold with the dark navy in the outer corners and creases all the time for a great (and easy!) smoky look. And I get compliments on it almost everytime I wear it. The eyeliners are nice, I really like the plummy brown (it looks great with the plum shadow!), and the brush is decent. The colour payoff is good, they blend well and last, but I give it 5 lippies for the colours!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2011 9:07:00 PM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I thought about this one a long time before I bought it. It looks great as packagedóthe colors are just lovely to look at, especially the green shade which tempted me into buying the whole set. But Iím not as pleased with the set now that Iím using it. I strongly recommend that you try the shades out on your eyes before purchase. I swatched them extensively on the back of my hand, but Iíve discovered that itís not the same as actually applying them to your eyes and seeing the effect under different lighting conditions.

Pros:
- A couple of the eye shadows are fabulous, like the golden plum and the golden green. The dark navy shade works well wet as an eyeliner.

- The eye shadow brush is excellent quality. The crease brush is okay though I find it a little large for my preference.

- I didn't like the matte shades at first, but they have increasingly become my "go to" neutrals. The two lighter colors (fleshtone and baby pink) don't pop on my skin, but they do provide a nice base on which to layer other colors. I use the reddish brown matte as a contour color on my cheeks since it has so little impact on my lids.

Cons:
- Iím dark-skinned, so some of the colors donít show on me as well as they would on lighter skins, like the reddish brown color at the end. Also, the lighter colors can be too light and shimmery against my brown skin.

- Way too much shimmer and not enough matte shades. The colors are overly golden. Iím in my 40s and still hiding my age, but my eyes look OLD if I overuse these shimmery colors. Iíve started using some of the lighter colors for highlighting on my cheeks and they seem to work well for that purpose.

- The greenish-bronze pencil eye liner is very pretty as is the golden plum, but again, they donít really show up well on my skin. Also, I find that they tug on my skin when I apply them and they have a strong waxy odor.

All in all, I donít think Iíd purchase again if I had the choice. This palette is okay but my money could have been better spent. However, I do think that my disappointment is more my fault than Tarte's. I didn't pick the right color palette for my skin tone. The quality of the shadows is quite good and I would be willing to purchase another Tarte palette in the future. Next time, I'll take greater care when choosing colors.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by BubberNe

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to love this palette. But after many attempts, I have to say I just don't like it overall, and would not buy it again.

First, the good:
The double-ended application brush is lovely and soft and wonderful to use. The eyeliner pencil is great, too. The texture of the shadow is nice and buttery-soft. The package is nice and opulent looking (subject to my comments about the magnets, below).

Now, the bad:
The pigmentation leaves something to be desired; everything is too wishy-washy, sheer and subtle for me. The eyeshadow colors don't really "blend" conceptually with each other, color-wise. I find myself adding colors from other palettes just to get a look I'm happy with.

Worst of all, while the pans are removable, the magnets that make them cling to the case fell off. I had two glue three of the magnets back in, with contact cement. Not what I expected for a palette I paid CDN$50 for.