Aczone

4.2

INGREDIENTS: ACTIVE dapsone (dapsone)- (50 MILLIGRAM In 1 GRAM) INACTIVE carbomer 980, diethylene-glycol-mono- ethyl-ether, methylparaben, sodium hydroxide, water

on 6/23/2015 6:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I received samples of this topical medication as I have tried other topical meds such as Tactuo and those ones dried my skin out so bad that it hurt to wash my face. However, using Aczone has been great. My skin does not dry out from this product and I use it on a daily basis for prevention as well. After I cleanse my face, I apply serum and then apply a thin layer of Aczone to the more blemish prone areas of my face. I let it sit on my face for a few minutes (usually brushing my teeth and/or doing something else) and then I apply my moisturizer on top all over my face. With that method, I have not encountered any dryness to the areas which I applied the Aczone nor do I get any side effects from it. The texture of the Aczone is a thin cream consistency. I don't note any smell to the product but I've been using samples this whole time. I squirt very little out when I use this product. And also, I have sensitive skin so the fact that this product works for me on my sensitive skin, I think it would be suitable. I am uncertain of how this product would react to people with already dry skin as they may suffer from additional dry skin, unless you apply a thicker moisturizer afterwards. Make sure to apply a thick layer of cream on after so it helps with the dryness if you suffer from dry skin. My skin is dehydrated but it is normal to oily during summer months. I'd purchase the full size of this bottle once my samples run out. Would definitely recommend trying samples first to see if this product works for your skin prior to getting a full bottle sized. Ask your physician for samples as they may have some.

on 6/16/2015 2:25:00 AM

I have hypersensitive combination super thin skin that is also acne prone. That is not all I also have alot of small red/purple light brown acne hyperpigmention with textured rolling and boxcar scars. Not finished yet even broken red and purple capillaries so my face always look slightly red including permanent broken capillaries/redness under my nose. Unpredictable skin its never normal. Most acne treatment seemed to make my skin irritated, more red, flaky and dry or do nothing. Plus I developed seborrheic dermatitis which is form of eczema it is dry, scaly, flaky,red and really itchy . Most often Seborrheic dermatitis happens where there is over production of sebum or in the scalp/hairline, eyebrow and near the ears so now my hairline eyebrows and T-zone has red patches that are itchy, oily, dry/scaly . What makes it worse it trying to treat the dermatitis and mild to sometimes moderate acne. Acne product cause more dry flaky skin so my dermatologist gave me some samples to try I did also get a prescription but even with insurance it was going to cost over $400 no way. Anyways I tried it for 2 days it was horrible made the spot super greasy and red even caused more breakouts. I tend to have clog pores more often all this did was made skin worse then what I had.

on 6/3/2015 4:05:00 PM

My hormones have been changing (again!) which has led to some really nasty time-of-the-month breakouts on my cheeks and especially my jaw and chin. The kind of zits that are big, hard, painfully inflamed and which never seem to go away.

I got tired of messing with over-the-counter products, so I went to the dermatologist and got a Rx for this cream (as well as Clindamycin phospate pledgets and Tazorac). I use this in the morning and evening after cleansing. It's a very light gel cream that absorbs very, very quickly even in humid weather and doesn't leave any residue on your skin. It does not cause other products to ball up on top either. I really love the texture.

After several weeks of using this stuff, I've seen a reduction in the number of pimples and their size and severity. This is not a cure-all, but it does help control my acne. And unlike many other topical treatments, it does not irritate or dry out my skin.

I got a big, 90 gram tube with a $25 co-pay since it was prescribed to treat acne, which my health insurance covers. I also just found out you can go to the manufacturer's website and get a savings card that will give you additional discounts. Given the fact that this stuff really works, I'd say it's worth the price.

on 5/12/2015 11:05:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am currently using samples, but the full bottle will be $40 with my insurance hence the price rating.

Aczone has been a godsend for me. I recently began experiencing pretty gnarly hormonal breakouts after having clear-ish skin for most of my life (I'm now 26). I was Rx'd Atralin at the same time as Aczone, but I cannot use the Atralin more than 1-2x per week right now due to my skin's sensitive nature. I mainly use Aczone all over when my skin begins flaring and it takes the inflammation down by about 70% within the first 24 hours (applied AM & PM). Otherwise I use it once a day when my skin is irritated or as a spot treatment when needed. I've tried many OTC acne and anti-inflammatory products, but this is the only thing that has actually given me results (BP does nothing for some reason). Will definitely be sticking with this for the long haul.

on 4/8/2015 12:49:00 PM

Let me just start off with saying that this product works SO well... but only if you use it correctly.

I didn't have any luck with Aczone for months because I wasn't using it the proper way and I thought that I should just give up using it, until I read the solid reviews here and on other sites. One day I put the Aczone on and completely forgot to put my moisturizer on until hours later - I thought it was a big mistake. On the contrary! The next day all my whiteheads were flattened and much less red and looked healed.. I decided to try it out again the next day, and the next. My acne was healing rapidly! Finally Aczone was working!

The trick is to apply it to clean, dry skin and let it sit for a LONG time - like half an hour at least, then apply a moisturizer. If you apply moisturizer/makeup on top too soon, the Aczone gets rubbed off the spots you applied it to because it didn't get a chance to set and absorb. Give it a try - I'm sure you'll get the results you want!

Also, another trick I found was that if I have a really red, swollen pimple (usually around TOM) I will apply the Aczone several times per day and the next day it will decrease significantly!

on 1/1/2015 10:25:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This product is great! After going off of proactiv, my acne went into overdrive and I tried everything to calm it down and nothing would work! I went to a dermatologist as a last resort and she gave me sample sizes of this and told me to use one drop every morning after washing my face. I have now been using this product for 4 years now and it works great. Only downside is that it's expensive and I've had difficulty getting my insurance to cover it and it dries out your face immediately after application. To resolve my face drying out, I am also using a water based sunscreen created by the dermatologist's office.

on 12/14/2014 11:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

This stuff was my miracle worker. I have extremely oily skin and i used to get annoying under the skin zits and grapevine acne and big red bumps. So my derm. recommended Aczone for me. Since my skin is sensitive just about everything dries it out, but this stuff cleared up my acne so fast and i noticed no dry spots. My skin was cleared literally within two weeks and now after using this for over 6 months i only get hormonal breakouts very rarely. LOVE THIS STUFF.

on 12/12/2014 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This is my 3rd month on Aczone (and Tazorac, a prescription retinoid) and I'm still not entirely sure if it works, but I know my skin likes it. My regimen (as recommended by my doctor) is to apply Aczone twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and Tazorac every other night.

Aczone feels like a very light, balancing lotion. My skin absorbs it super quickly and it just seems to 'calm down', especially if I have a pimple or two that has flared up during the day. I like applying it at night the most because my skin always feels smoother, healthier and less irritated when I wake up the morning after. I think Aczone has helped bring my acne from a few pimples daily to a few pimples weekly, although it did take about 8 weeks before I noticed that it was doing ANYTHING.

Be sure to stick to the regimen your doctor recommended you, especially since Aczone is a very gentle medication that needs to be applied often. Skin medication takes ages to work!

The packaging is nothing special, just a big, soft squeeze-y tube. Fun trick if you're going on trips - I squeeze enough Aczone for my trips into an extra eye contact container so I don't get stopped by the TSA since the original tube is way too big to bring on a flight.

on 12/1/2014 11:24:00 PM

Ok so here's the thing. I never write reviews about ANYTHING, but I had to share my experience. I am 21 years old and have been suffering with breakouts since I was in 7th grade. I went on birth control (YAZ) in 8th grade hoping it would help. I wouldn't go to school some days due to horrible breakouts that I couldn't cover up. I've honestly tried everything: over the counter and prescription. Every facewash, acne cream, and medication (oral and topical). I am now 21 and am a junior in college still getting big red zits that are hard to cover up. My doctor finally prescribed aczone as a last resort. I have now been on it for 3 months and I will never stop using it. I have had all but 1 zit in a total of 1 month. It took a little bit of time for it to kick in, but when it did, I was amazed. People have actually noticed how great my skin looks, and I'm not embarrassed at all anymore! Such a self esteem booster and I would highly recommend this product.

on 11/14/2014 12:39:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

After being put on Retin-a and Differin so far this year, my face was a bright red, scaly, broken-out mess. Clindamycin helped calm things down a bit, but I was still being plagued with constant redness, large whiteheads, and glaring pores. A new derm offered Aczone as a gentle treatment for my acne and rosacea, so I figured why not try yet another product for another month and see what happens. Within a week, my acne had calmed down significantly and my redness was drastically diminished as well. I was told to use it morning and night, but it started to dry me out too much and it also leaves a white tint to my skin, so applying it just before bedtime was the best option for me. I'm still having trouble with hormonal breakouts, but this is the best my skin has looked since Accutane. My only cons are the white tint it leaves after it's dry and the cost of the RX every month.
UPDATE:
My skin was doing so well on the Aczone after a few months that I decided to stop it and start focusing on fading all of the many red marks and scars. For the past month I've been using MUAC's 40% lactic peel and their mandelic peel, which have been helping fade the spots already. BUT...(there's always a but)...now my skin has gone CRAZY and is broken out everywhere, so I'm back on the Aczone this week and thankfully my face is almost back to normal already. *whew* I didn't want to overdo it on the dryness by continuing to use the Aczone every night AND a peel every week, but I guess I'll have to just bump up my moisturizing game when I do a peel. Lesson learned.

Popular Treatments (Face)