July 31, 2014 | 1383 users online

Treatments (Face) - Aczone

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2014 10:39:00 PM More reviews by Piffle37

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this product for about three weeks. After years of suffering from mild to moderate acne and trying every over the counter and home remedy to help my acne, I finally went to a dermatologist who prescribed this medication. So far the results have been wonderful. My acne has been getting worse the past couple years, it was mostly on my forehead and jawline, and would take between a few days to weeks for spots to clear up. At any given time I would have at least three trouble spots as well as a lot of clogged pores on forehead area. I'm still getting breakouts, but my skin has calmed significantly since using this product. It isn't overly drying either. Cystic acne that used to last weeks now clears up in a couple of days and without all the redness, bumps are flattened and just seem to be drying up. The tone of my skin is improving as we'll and pore size seems to be diminished. Of everything I've tried thru the years I've never had results this good. I'm almost to the point where I would feel ok leaving the house with just tinted moisturizer and not foundation...a little bit of makeup and you can hardly tell that I even have acne anymore. Yay!!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2014 10:50:00 AM More reviews by awalsh91

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been struggling with breakouts since I went off of birth control almost two years ago. I have tried Differin, Retin-A and Clindamycin ointment. These products aggravated my acne and did not help clear my skin. I was prescribed Aczone for bedtime and a Sulfur wash in the AM. It took a few months but Aczone is very light and works for my skin. My skin is no longer bumpy, aggravated and broken out the way that it was. It really does take some time to find the right products so don't give up!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2014 12:46:00 AM More reviews by Georgia13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Was prescribed Aczone for cystic/hormonal acne. I am in my early 40's and have combination, sensitive skin. My regimen is cleansing with CerVe foaming cleanser am and pm with my Clairsonic, followed by Aczone and CerVe moisturizer. Daily sunscreen year round, of course as I live in the upper US at a high elevation. This product is expensive, but you only need a very small amount, it is very effective. Feels smooth like a thick lotion, spreads evenly, and doesn't dry my skin. I still follow with a moisturizer. When I recently ran out, my skin broke out almost immediately. My dermatologist emphasizes that it is not completely about the active ingredient, but it is about the delivery method - if the lotion or cream is in a consistency that will provide the best absorption without drying or over-moisturizing, that is the key. A word of advice if new to this product - your skin will get worse before it gets better (just what everyone wants to hear, I know!) but trust me, your skin will change for the better with Aczone.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/7/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by agapeteam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was prescribed this product for my monthly hormonal cystic acne breakouts (2-4 huge cysts each month that took weeks to heal). Unfortunately, it did nothing to slow the breakouts down. I was using it morning and night with no other topical products. It seems that Aczone has helped several MUA users with their hormonal cystic acne so I would recommend others try it to see if their acne responds. My acne was so persistent and scarring that I ultimately had to go on accutane.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2013 2:48:00 PM More reviews by dvfenech

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

God bless my derm for prescribing me this. It cleared up by adult cystic/hormonal/stress related acne rather quickly and has not dried out my dry combo skin at all. I noticed results rather quickly and have had amazingly clear skin for about 4 months now. I use 2x a day.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/15/2013 10:39:00 PM More reviews by velvet8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Please note that I did not purchase this product. I only used samples that were given to me by my doctor so you can disregard my price and packaging rating.

I really hated this product so much that I feel that I have to review it as a warning to others. I've been on a regimen of Retin A Micro and Sulfacetamide/Sulfur lotion for a number of years that has been working quite well except for monthly hormonal break outs on my chin (which were not that bad and went away when I got my period).

I recently visited my dermatologist, and he suggested that I stop using Sulfacetamide/Sulfur lotion and replace it with Aczone twice per day. Since he had never steered me wrong before, I listened to his advice and began using the Aczone. I used it for approximately four days. During that time, it caused so much damage that I shudder to think what would have happened if I had continued using it. My skin became disgustingly greasy, my few break outs (which had been going away) worsened, and I started breaking out more (even in areas that I never break out in). I also developed a quarter sized rash on my cheek bone. Once I saw what was happening, I stopped using the Aczone and went back to my regular regimen. Within three days of stopping the Aczone, my face improved to the point where the greasiness has calmed down, the rash is almost gone, and my face is back to being clear (except for one or two small pimples left over from the Aczone fiasco).

Although I see that this medication gets mostly good reviews, I just wanted to share my experience. I definitely DO NOT recommend this. If you do want to try it, I would say that you should proceed with caution. This is strong stuff that can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Megctree

9-16-13 Ignore my rating for price or packaging because I've been using samples. I have been dealing with an outbreak of nodular acne for over a year now. After going through antibiotic hell, in May I was finally prescribed 100mg spiro, and acanya in the morning with Atralin at night. Both are covered by my insurance and so aren't too expensive. My blackheads and whiteheads have started to improve (so slooooowly), but my modular acne is chugging right along, with the average of about 3 a week. As a last ditch effort before blu-u or accutane,I asked my doctor to prescribe me aczone at the beginning of last week. One, I was honestly not expecting it to work at all, and two, If it did, I was not expecting it to work so fast (I always thought the people who said they saw results in 1 week were exaggerating). Well, I have gone an entire week with NO new nodules. Most of the nodules that were already popping up before I started aczone quickly came to a nice big head in about 12 hours, popped on their own when I washed my face before bed, and were gone (except the normal red mark, unfortunately nothing I can do about those). Amazingly, the little baby nodule bump that popped nodules usually leave behind was gone too! Those annoying little baby bumps either take forever to go away, or just grow up to be nasty giant momma nodules in a couple weeks. Nope, aczone killed the momma AND the baby!

The night before last, I saw a couple of normal papules had popped up on my forehead that aczone wasn't helping for some reason. So I used my Atralin around my cheeks and chin, and acanya on my forehead, and in the morning I used aczone. Last night I did the same regimin. This morning when I woke up, I see only one stubborn nodule on my upper cheek, but my face is 80% clear. Papules on my forehead are faded. First time in over a year I went through an entire week without one new nodule!

It's still early so ill keep you posted on my progress. But as of now, I would tell anyone who has tried every other topical out there without results to at least try aczone before moving on to other aggressive treatments. . I don't expect that it will be a miracle, but it has worked better in one week than any other topical I've tried has in one year.

9/24/13- as promised, I would update. I've now been on aczone for two weeks with NO new nodules or cysts. Considering the week before I started aczone I had been getting about 3 or 4 nodules a week, this is incredible. I've also been using Atralin for about 4 months, and now I feel like I can see the good work it has done on my comedgenic acne that I couldn't see before because of all the inflammatory stuff! I also wanted to share this story:
while I was cleaning the house this weekend, I noticed a spot under my nose was itching like a hive (or a cyst, EEEP!). When I scratched it, I felt a bump- and when I ran to the bathroom, sure enough- there was something red and scary brewing under my right nostril (worst place to be, in my opinion). I thought maybe it could be a hive from all the cleaning products I used, so I decided to take a risk on ignoring it for a while to see if it reduced in size. As anyone who has cystic/nodular acne knows, the monsters get big fast and stay big for a while, whereas hives tend to get big and itchy, and then reduce in size over the course of a few hours if you leave them alone/ remove the allergen. After about 2 hours, it was a no-go and I noticed the tiny clogged pore right on top of the bump that is, for me, the hallmark sign of a nodule being born. So, I did what any acne sufferer does: I ran around the house trying to decide between hydrocortisone, ice, or hot pack while frantically looking for some ibuprofen. Then, clarity! I decided to skip the drama and I put some aczone on it. Well, I am sh**ing you not, as soon as I put the aczone on it, the itching and throbbing feeling stopped. About 20 minutes later, the redness was reduced. By dinner time (about 4 hours from the time I first put the aczone on) it was the size of a small pimple. By the end of the night- it was COMPLETELY GONE. Not even a bump. Not even a clogged pore. Gone.
I think, for this reason alone, getting a sample of aczone from your dermatologist is worth it. I was at my last resort, deciding between accurate or PDT. Neither of which was a good option for me. While I still have hyper pigmentation and black/whitehead issues, the big stuff is gone and hasn't come back.
10/13/13-it's been almost a month using aczone. I am still getting nodules (I actually just had the worst breakout since starting aczone, which is nothing like before, 1 medium size nodule on my cheek, 2 normal pimples on either side of my chin. The is all I've dealt with in ONE MONTH. This and more used to happen to me in ONE WEEK. My coworkers struggling with acne at work are starting to comment on how good my skin looks and are asking for my dermatologists name. Since I had my most recent breakout, I'm a little concerned the aczone may be losing its potency or something, but I'm also about to start my period, so we'll see how aczone gets me through that. So far, so good!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by cstrutt

I really like Aczone, it works great for my extreamly sensitive skin. I started using it as spot treatment because I had a few samples from a friend who worked at a derm office. But, recently my acne has gotten pretty bad because of a recent switch with my BC. I went to the doc and told her i had tried aczone and that the samples had worked for me, so now its apart of my daily skin regimen. I've been using it consistently for a week now and it has already helped reduce my acne. I did notice if i use a little to much it instantly dries out my skin but that's easily fixed with moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2013 8:50:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE this stuff. I was breaking out with painful cyst like pimples on my jaw line and this product has changed my skin significantly. I rarely get breakouts and if I do, I use this as a spot treatment and it truly does reduce size and redness in a week.

EDIT: I still stand by this product. As soon as I treat a pimple, it takes care of the problem in a day or two, depending on how deep the pimple is. If you plan on wearing this during the day, please wear a sunscreen. I didn't do this (DUH I KNOW) and the spot turned into a rashy mess.

Still a great product. I only use it as a spot treatment now.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2013 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Camri

Aczone has helped a lot with my acne. Up until a year ago my skin was clear and then started breaking out when I turned 23. Went to the dermatologist and she put me on Aczone. I use morning and night and have been seeing a big difference in my skin. Routine: morning: wash face with Pevonia, tone with Pevonia, apply Aczone and last apply Pevonia lotion. At night I wash with pevonia and then apply Retin A. I started the Retin A this week and so far my skin is handling it fine. Just a little dry.