October 23, 2014 | 1989 users online

Lips - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Pop Life

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2012 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ltgee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

wore this during the summer, great with my tan. a coral-red w/iridescence to it. you can make it more coral (and less red) by topping it off with a milky pink gloss (the SA showed me how). color payoff is awesome with these sticks! NC42 during the summer for reference. not sure if i will re-buy as i don't wear red that often. i am more a pinky/coral/nude lippie wearing girl. cap kinda puffs up but has never come off.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/18/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by katmint

I do love the NARS matte pencils. They are super moisturising and super pigmented- which is a difficult combination to find. Colours are of course completely subjective- but pop life is great on me- the slight orange tint is perfect for livening up my pale face. At first I had problems with the packaging- none of my makeup pencil sharpeners worked! but I finally decided to just commit to buying the NARS sharpener and I haven't had a problem since.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2012 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Mugglemakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I picked this up at Sephora because I was looking for a new red lipstick. I have pale skin and somewhat dry lips.

PROS:

- Gorgeous color
- Great finish
- Long wearing

CONS:

- Expensive
- Drying
- Cap comes off easily

Bottom line: Great product, would recommend and reputchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2012 12:33:00 PM More reviews by ukarmencb

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

Very nice colour. Really flattering. However, the design of the pencil is very bad as you have to shave the pencil to make way for the tip so you waste a lot of product and of course money. The design should be reviewed as it may put customers off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by sushiomelette

This is a beautiful warm russet red (definitely not a true red) as the other reviewer had said. I read all the good reviews on Nars' lip pencils so I had to get all the red ones (Red Square, Cruella, Dragon Girl, and PL). Pop Life is unique in that it has some shimmer to it, but I docked it one lippie because after a while if you have dry lips it will start "piling" and causing all the dried skin flakes to show up. If someone knows how to fix this please tell me because I really like it color. I think my favorite though is still Red Square.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2009 1:31:00 AM More reviews by callmecordelia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the Velvet Mattes, and this is a great colour on me, but "shimmering true red" it's not -- which is great for me, as I can't wear most "true reds" (they turn fuchsia). It's a bright, rosy coral-red, almost a deep watermelon, and the shimmer is very subtle. If you have warm undertones and like bright lipstick you should definitely check this one out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2009 9:48:00 AM More reviews by tijanarm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This just came out in the Holiday 2009 collection and the moment I saw and tested it, I fell in love with it. First of all, if you have never tried NARS' Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, you should. It's truly one of the best lip products on the market, applies smooth and silicony, but stays on well and does not dry lips out. You can use it as a liner, but really, it is meant to be used as a lipstick or lip stain by dabbing it on (which is how I prefer to use it). This is my 4th Velvet Matte Lip Pencil and I just adore them for their texture.
Full on, Pop Life is this russet-warm-red colour, that is really hard to describe as it does have some rosey undertones as well. On NARS' site they describe it as a "shimmering true red". Well, I am a red lip fan and I have dozens of red lipsticks, but even with my incapability to describe colours beyond their basics, I can tell you that this is DEFINITELY not a true red, at best a very warm russet or orangey red with rose undertones. It is shimmery, but the shimmer is very subtle.
If you wear it my preferred way, which is to put a bit on and then dab or smudge with your finger, you will get this gorgeous stained look to your lips, very Victorian-era, can be very subtle and more intense, depending on how much you put on. Again, I am not very good ad describing nuances of colour, but I can tell you this is definitely a gorgeous colour that will brighten up your skin, irrespective of whether you use it full on or smudged. I think I will by a backup, as I am not sure if this is a LE or not. Highly recommended!