Acne Treatment: Epiduo (USA) / TactuPump (Canada)

adapalene (0.1%) and benzoyl peroxide (2.5%)

on 7/1/2015 4:07:00 AM

I was prescribed Epiduo by my dermatologist after breaking out horribly with patches of cystic acne. This medicine has worked wonders on my skin so far, to the point that even other people have commented on how nice my skin is. I use this every other day by applying a pea size amount all over my face. This medicine has caused dry patches on my skin and some flakiness, when this happens I skip using it for two days to let it settle down. My skin which was already sensitive to begin with has developed a sensitivity to sunlight while being on this. Make sure that you use a good moisturizer with high spf and a good sunblock for sensitive skin. Certain moisturizers and sunscreens have burned my skin since I started using this, so I make sure to buy products with the gentlest ingredients possible. I'm angry that I didn't have access to this when I was younger because I could have been spared years of awful breakouts.

on 6/19/2015 3:55:00 PM

Before I begin my review let me tell you about my skin. I always had mild acne when I was a teenager, and I continued to struggle into my early 20’s. I don’t have issues with dryness, but I get blind pimples that just WILL NOT GO AWAY. Let me say this up front, I have tried every line of skin care out there. Every. Single. One. Under my sink I have a graveyard of skincare products that I used to love. Clinique, Biotherm, Clean and Clear, Proactiv, SkinTx…you get the idea. My most recent skincare beau was Eminence Organics, and while it made my skin very soft, it just didn’t pack enough punch for my acne.
A few months ago I was struggling with a particularly difficult cluster of pimples on my cheek. I did everything and they wouldn’t budge. So, after a month of shame and cover-up I went to my doctor. She prescribed me Tactupump and recommended Cetaphil Oily Skin Cleanser and Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15.

Morning
Cetaphil Oily Skin Moisturizer
Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15

Evening
Cetaphil Oily Skin Moisturizer
Tactupump (4 pumps all over)
(Wait 15 minutes)
Cetaphil Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 15

Tactupump makes your skin very delicate to the sun, so I like the sun coverage with my moisturizer. My skin did dry out a bit, but I just exfoliated every second day and the flakes went away.

End of Week 1: My pores are pretty much invisible, and the cluster of pimples of my cheek has flattened out and doesn’t hurt anymore. A week ago I had a few bumps threatening to become pimples, but I’m happy to report they are gone! Other than my “problem area,” my skin in perfectly clear and healthy looking.
End of Week 2: The cluster of pimples is pretty much invisible, still a few little red marks but they are fading very quickly. Everywhere else on my face is clear, and I have 0 blackheads
End of Week 3: Starting to see a few little breakouts along my chin, I think my skin is just purging itself, We shall see if they become pimples!
End of Week 4: My skin is totally clear. The little breakouts never went anywhere, and there are no acne marks at all on my skin.

I loved this product. Yes it burns a little bit, but I got over that. My skin felt very clean and there was no residue.

on 6/11/2015 9:37:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

I broke out in May and I was prescribed this medication by my doctor. I was told that results would not be instant and that it would probably take 3-6 months to work. I used this product along with the Cetaphil Acne-prone Foam Wash and the Cetaphil Acne-prone Day Cream.

During the first week, I applied a thin layer of the gel all over my face. I felt my face burning and reacting badly to the gel. My face was red and peeling. My face was still breaking out in the first two weeks. But on the third week, my face wasn't breaking out anymore. It had many bumps from my previous breakouts and really dark scars.

I would apply this gel every night. In the morning, my face would be really dry and peeling everywhere. But my dark scars were fading!

At 5 months, my face had almost completely cleared along with the scars too!!!! This product really did work.

Unfortunately, 9 months into using the gel, my face began breaking out again :( I continued using Epiduo but did not see a difference. I assumed that my face was too used to the gel to have a change or effect.

Sooooo, I would definitely recommend this product but will say that it may not clear or prevent future breakouts as your face may have adapted to the effect of the gel.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I used Epiduo because my dermatologist prescribed me it because of my acne. She told me that I had to use it 3 times a week since it was quite irritating and probably my face would turn red. I used it ONCE, friday on the night, a tiny layer on cheeks and forehead. First I felt my face really warm, but I thought it was normal so I'd gone to sleep with it as the doctor said. Saturday I saw my face really, reaaaaaaally red and BURNING!!! Over the night, I put baby moisturizer on my face to refresh like 5 times, but it didn't work at all. My face was really burning and inflamed when i'd gone to sleep. About four in the morning I woke up, I saw my face on the mirror and it was LITERALLY LIKE A BALLOON. I'd got scared, I put chamomille but the inflammation did not decrease. I had to go to the hospital, because it was an allergic reaction. It was the worst experience so, if you are going to use this product, first read the ingredients and make a little proof on one side of your face.

on 6/6/2015 1:48:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

WARNING for NEW USERS: Make sure you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS! I CANNOT stress this enough. This medication is not like normal acne medications where you spot apply the medication to just the areas where you have acne. If you do that and leave it on over night, IT WILL BURN YOUR FACE. This medication required you to apply a thin layer evenly on your entire face. They suggest 3-4 pumps to cover your entire face.

I really wanted to love this product, but it did not help me at all. It left my face red, dry and VERY irritated. I'm nursing my face with ice at the moment to keep the redness down but I can feel the heat radiating off my face.

In conclusion, I WILL NOT BE USING THIS PRODUCT. I think my face is just way too sensitive for this kind of medication. Personally, I would rather have a few bumps on my face versus having to walk around looking as red as a baboon's backside.

on 4/30/2015 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Here was experience on using TactuPump:

1st week: Tightness, dryness, burning, flaking... you name it. The first week is by far the worst. On some nights, I had troubles sleeping because I was in such discomfort. Started to get discouraged because my skin looked and felt worse than ever, but the doc warned me that this would happened at the start.

2nd week: This is the week where I started to break out like CRAZY... in places I rarely even break out! Mainly on my cheeks and chin. I could tell that all the bacteria / whiteheads were almost drawn out of my skin. The side effects still persisted, with the addition of redness. On some days, I could barely wear any makeup.

3rd week: Some side effects have subsided. Less burning, dryness, and tightness, but the redness and breakouts are still happening. Some of my old acne / scars have flattened out, like on my forehead.

6th week: My skin has honestly never been this bad. I guess this is the stage where my skin is purging. I'm talking horrible acne all along my left jaw line and chin and breakouts on my cheeks. I went to the doctor for a check-up and he said the inflammation was so bad that he put me on Minocycline (antibiotics.) I'm feeling really discouraged. I've stopped using Tactupump everyday because i'm afraid it's just making my skin worse. I know that it's supposed to get worse before it gets better... but THIS worse? I don't know. I'm going to have scars solely from using Tactupump. I've decreased my usage to every other day. Will update again if/when I see improvements.

**** PLEASE READ ****
I used TactuPump for about 12 weeks and my skin was literally raw. I've never had such inflamed and terrible acne in my life. It was awful. I started out with just mild acne and after reading such positive reviews about TactuPump, I decided to give it a try. I regret it SO much. My jawline was especially bad. I couldn't look in the mirror for weeks. I went to the doctor and he told me to stop using it because my skin had a very bad reaction to it. I thought I could tough it out to see if it would get better, but it was just getting worse and worse every single day. I was very upset every morning, waking up seeing my acne getting worse. Even after stopping, the acne never got better. So I ended up with worse skin than when I started. Eventually, I went on Accutane (40mg dosage) and that was only thing that cured my skin. Long story short, please please please listen to your skin. I kept waiting to see if it would get better, because reviews were saying that it was just your skin purging, but I really regret waiting that long before realizing that the product just wasn't fit for my skin. Terrible experience, but at the end of the day, I found a solution that cleared up the acne that TactuPump had brought out. This product may work for some, but unfortunately, it did not for me.

on 4/23/2015 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

READ THIS IF YOUR DEPRESSED OVER ACNE AND SCARRING! !!
I'd always had very clear skin...odd pimple here and there (you know the ones that pop and go in a day or two)....but fast forward to my 30s...and my skin was getting spots...ones I'd never had like tiny under the skin bumps....then I started getting the large cystic type...the ones that never get a head on and last week's. ...
I tried every product from drug store to high end. ..but I never had oily skin I was more on the dryer side but I thought drying spots out was the thing to do and clear my skin....BUT NOTHING WAS WORKING! I was becoming antisocial and stopped going out unless I had to and if I went out I'd smother my face in thick foundation and wrap a scarf round my lower face where my acne was (but summer was coming so I knew I'd have to ditch my scalf)...I was in tears I dreaded waking up and trying to avoid people yet again....I was so down and confidence was on the floor!
So I decided to go the docs and was put on antibiotics and differin cream ...so I was depressed and hoped this was my cure...the differin was ok..it smoothed out the smaller under the skin spots but the cysts kept on coming....so antidepressants really didn't help! So I decided enough was enough....I had to try a different approach. ...
my face was dry sore scaly and so sensitive from all the acne washes..creams...gels...acne moisturisers etc...I looked like a sun dried tomato!
READ THIS PART IF YOU SKIPPED REST AS THIS IS HOW I CLEARED MY SKIN IN A MONTH!
I researched skin sebum pores etc...read so much on how skin works and what helps and what doesn't!
I was causing my acne by trying so hard to get rid of it...honestly! !!!
By using so many acne fighting products filled with chemicals like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. ..masks...peels..etc I was inflaming my skin and drying it all out not just drying out thr acne...so top layer of my skin was thicker and ruffer...so my body would panic and over produce more sebum...but that sebum was getting trapped in my pores causing spots that would then create a nest for bacteria causing bigger cystic acne. ..which I'd pick at and try to burst all the time leaving red scars behind...I was so miserable!
So I ditched all my acne products and treated my skin better!
It's a case of getting your skin back to a natural ph level!
So I got myself an oil cleanser which helped unclog pored and take surface oils away without stripping natural much needed oils too. ..then id wash with olay refreshing face wash and use a really good more natural moisturiser I love aveeno moisturising cream. ..amazing stuff!
After a couple of weeks my skin was smoother and felt so much better and just normal....but I was still getting the odd spot and I got a huge cystic one on my chin. ..gutted!
But still my skin looked and felt better...acne scars had faded a little too an my face was less red!
BRING ON EPIDUO CREAM!!! ITS WHAT YOUR READING THIS REVIEW FOR!
Went back to docs and I was given this cream...I went home read reviews and thought NO WAY AM I GOING BACK TO RED DRY SKIN...but after a few days and this annoying spot on my chin that seemed to be getting bigger I thought I'd try it...it didn't burn my skin for first few uses...I'd only put it on my chin and jaw (acne prone zone)...after a day or two my big spot came to a head and yep I popped it....lol...I continued using cream and my skin was stinging a bit more so I decided to moisturise chin first wait an hour and put epiduo on...did this for a week ...my skin didn't seem dryer or redder. ..but my skin was looking clearer and I hadn't had any new spots so far....week two sticking to
my new skin care routine only using epiduo my skin is looking better everyday still no new acne not even a little spot and even my scars have faded lots more....now I do use st Ives blemish control scub a couple of times a week but it only had small amounts of salicylic acid in it and it really smooths out my skin...epiduo still stings a bit when I apply it but after it sinks in I put my moisturizer over it instead now.
Now I'm not saying its all down to epiduo but I personally think because I settled my skin with gentler products and restored the pH balance of my skin and used a good moisturizer and stopped overloading my skin with acne skin drying chemicals my skin took epiduo so much better....if I'd put it on my skin before while it was already dry red and inflamed it would have burnt my skin...dried it out and made it peel....but so far none of that has happened.
So before you use the epiduo get your skin back to its pH balance and keep it hydrated....ditch all the chemicals and use a good naturally balanced moisturizer..... Then start the epiduo....
My skins not perfect....I may well get more acne again...still have scars but they are lighter now....make up goes on better and smoother...so I'll enjoy my skin while it lasts as its the best its been in years.....10/10 on this product so far... If it changes I'll update this post.....just try ditching the chemicals for a while and only use one acne treatment at a time....ones from the docs is best!good luck peeps :)

on 4/11/2015 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am making myself write this to hopefully help other women. I had beautiful, glowing skin up until about September of last year. I began to break out on my cheeks and on my chin below my mouth (in that particular spot I always had, so I didn't think too much of it). I chalked it up to picking up smoking again, drinking too much coffee, and stress. I focused on washing every night with my summer product, alba coconut milk deep cleansing which had worked for my fairly trouble free but slightly oily skin in the summer months. It didn't make a dent and the cysts were forming more and now clustering and therefore forming some hyperpigmentation scars. It became noticeable to everyone around me. I couldn't get away without wearing makeup like i had if i was going anywhere where i cared about what people thought about my looks. I started making decisions on going out or staying in based on my face. At this time I visited my mother and she repurchased Arbonne smoothing cleanser for me- a wonderful plant based line that had really worked for me in the past. I saw a slight improvement but as soon as I hit ovulation or menstruated my face was a battle zone. My cheeks and chin were covered on cystic acne and whiteheads. I started taking burdock root and vitex berry for my hormones. I began trying steaming everyday with eucalyptus and lavender oil, apple cider vinegar toner, followed by a coconut oil rub. I saw beautiful skin on my forehead and below my eyes, however my skin on my cheeks became really horrible. It felt hydrated and beautiful but looked disgusting. I thought I would never see clear skin again. I thought all I had to do was make it through the purge stage and I'd be okay- no way. I switched back to Arbonne and saw slight improvement at some points in the month. My friends all commented on my skin and felt terrible. I hated being the ugly one. I had to go to the doctor. She prescribed me birth control, Reclipsen, and doxycycyline and gave me a referral to the dermatologist, also commenting that I may have to do Accutane- which completely freaked me out. I stay away from pharmaceuticals as much as I can and I heard nightmares about Accutane. Thankfully the derma could fit me in the next day. I hadn't picked up the doxy because it was far too expensive (almost $160) so he prescribed me minocyclyne and Epiduo. He also gave me a coupon. I saw with the minocycline in the first week that I was breaking out less and inflammation decreased. I plan on ceasing minocycline after I start on my second packet of Reclipsen. I used Epiduo in conjunction with my Arbonne wash with a magnaminty face mask from Lush once a week or so. I am in week three and my face is 70% better. There was a purging stage that I chalked up to ovulation, but I realize it could have been all of the blocked pores coming up after reading all of these reviews. I see a marked difference after using Epiduo at night now. Pimples will be reduced the next morning. If they are whiteheads, I do help them along a little with a clean pair of tweezers and then rub Epiduo gel right on it at night. The next morning, it is either gone or the whitehead is much smaller. In week three I am SO glad I went to the dermatologist. Running every day to sweat and drinking at least 1.5 liters of water every day has helped as well. I don't smoke as often and have coffee 3-4 times a week, and only one or two small cups at a time. Keep with the Epiduo- it may burn but it's killing off all of the p. acnes bacteria in your face. Hope this review helped someone..

on 4/3/2015 1:47:00 PM

I can't believe I'm writing a review. After Almost 7 years of struggling with my skin and reading what feels like millions of reviews and trying many products to clear my skin I am hoping (fingers crossed) that I have finally found THE cure. This feels a bit surreal to be honest, I can't tell you how many times I have read peoples success stories and just wished so badly that one day it would be me. Don't get me wrong, if you're struggling with bad skin these forums are a GODSEND when you need hope to keep searching for answers and to remind yourself you aren't alone, cause sometimes you feel like you're the only person with bad skin. When my skin took a turn for the worst a few months ago (the most horrible breakout I'd ever experienced) I promised myself that when i found something that would work, that I would make the most detailed review possible in hopes that I could help even just ONE person out there that has a similar struggle to mine. So apologies for the length but it has been a long road for me and I want to help someone else. Acne sucks. When I felt really disgusted over my skin I would try so hard to remind myself that things could be so much worse. I have my health, all my limbs, my eyesight, everything that a human needs to function properly. But damn no matter how hard I tried my bad skin just took over my ilfe.... I refused to be seen without makeup, constantly cancelled plans, could never enjoy being outdoors or going to the lake because I didn't want people to see my pimples/scars. My acne was mild (developed into moderate) and hormonal but left HORRIBLE pigmentation that left bright red marks that lasted forever.. I was even embarrassed to let my family see me without makeup with is pathetic but I was just embarrassed at how gross my skin looked. My breakouts were always hormonal (forehead and chin) but then my acne type changed and I was also developing DEEP blackheads that stayed there forever, and tons of clogged pores around my chin that eventually one by one turn into cysts (so painful and embarassing) I NEVER had acne growing up. My first pimple was at age 22. I've been the derm dozens of times in the last two years. Summer of 2013 I started Aczone and Atralin. Worked WONDERS for a few months and I felt relieved my battle with acne was over. Unfortunately though, those meds stopped working and my acne slowly creeped back and then it was worse than ever. I'll admit that I had a heightened level of stress recently that may have contributed to this horrible breakout but regardless, I was beyond over it and at the end of my rope and on the verge of losing my sanity. I was so tired of being self conscious and spending EVERY waking hour worrying about my face. It was exhausting. So In January of 2015 I went BACK to the derm to start over. He put me on duac. I cried because benzoyl peroxide had dried my face before and I knew it wouldn't work. Well, duac worked SOMEWHAT, removed a few blackheads but I was breaking out horribly around my chin while on it. Felt super discouraged. Then he put me on Finacea (for rosacea), which helped slightly at first, but my chin continued to breakout in horrible huge painful inflamed pimples. One would clear up then two-three more would pop up. I couldn't catch a break. I was in the derm what felt like every other day for cortisone injections. Finally he said well let's try epiduo since you had success at first with Atralin (a retin-a , and epiduo has bp AND a retinoid combined) I went home crying, knowing it wouldn't work. But realized I had no other option but to at least TRY it. I was scared, I was skeptical, I was a pessimist and knew it wouldn't work. I knew i was going to suffer more breakouts but I had to give it a shot. So I did. And let me tell you, all the reviews you read (try and only read 5 star reviews) are so true. IT COMPLETELY SUCKS AT FIRST. I wish it didn't have to, but it just does. But pleaaase remember it is TEMPORARY. The first couple days I used it I had several of those red inflamed cystic pimples flare up on my chin. I wanted to cry (oh wait, I DID cry, a lot), but I decided to trust what people were saying and power through it. If you are able to go in for cortisone shots while you first start this product it at least helps the pain and for them to subside faster. And also pleaaaase don't let this discourage you because you may not purge in big inflamed pimples like I did but I think this happened to me because some of my pores on my chin had such large and deep clogs that it was almost unavoidable having them surface without getting inflammed. Your purging may not even be that bad! But OMG. slowly but surely, I think I found what is going to work for me... blackheads on my forehead are slowly coming to the surface (I have been able to literally pluck some of them out) and know that with consistent and persistent use they rest of them will clear up as well... It sucks purging but I can really tell it is clearing out all my gross clogged pores around my chin as well. It's only been a week, and I still have pimples purging and I know there is more to come, but I am SO much more hopeful realizing that this WILL pass and soon my skin will be clear.. My skin is dry and slightly peeling, but again, I'M PUSHING THROUGH IT AND YOU SHOULD TOO!!!. Fight through it!!!! I plan on updating every week or so with my progress. My skin is far from clear, but I can tell this is working. Give it a shot. OH and use it everyday, I didn't at first because I was scared of the dryness but every day is KEY. attack attack attack that bacteria!!

MORNING:

cetaphil gentle cleanser

finacea

oil of olay oiil-free fragrance free moisturizer

NIGHT:

oil of olay cleansing cloths- fragrance free/sensitive skin

epiduo (SMALL amount on affected area)

30 min later oil of olay oil free fragrance free moisturizer

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all my fellow acne sufferers, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVE YOU!!

on 3/25/2015 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was breaking out very bad on my forehead and chin and my doctor prescribed me this. At first it didn't work at all, then it slightely started to improve my skin before everything went sour and my skin ended up worse than it was beforehand. It then got so dry and itchy for a few weeks it was almost unbearable. But in saying that, eventually my skin got over all that and now the cream works like a dream! I have little to no pimples, I haven't had a breakout since and it's also helped with my blackheads. I think it was worth the trouble at the start.