October 1, 2014 | 2000 users online

Treatments (Face) - Galderma - Epiduo (aka Tactuo in Canada)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/1/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by hollifer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have been using Epiduo every day for about 2 1/2 years. It's a fantastic cream, I found it so much more effective than benzoyl peroxide alone. I really miss living in the UK where I could get a big tube of it for 7.50 (US$12) courtesy of the NHS, although the smaller 30g tube does last a long time as you don't need much. At first I did have some breaking out- although nothing like as bad as when I started using BP (red face, flaky skin, bleaching of fabrics.. eugh).

I find it works best when used in combination with something else, like antibiotics. I am now on the contraceptive pill (Yasmin) which works wonders too, and has the great side effect of not getting pregnant! My acne has completely cleared up and my skin is glowing.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/27/2014 8:08:00 AM More reviews by kwong714

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

One word. Terrible. I have very oily and acne prone skin which is one of the worst two combination. Lately I have been getting huge cystic acne as well as some whiteheads but mainly cystic acne. It was getting so serious and painful that many suggested I should go see a dermatologist. So I did but I had to see a GP first to receive a referral letter and when I was face to face with the GP she recommended eqiduo. I was skeptical about it but still continued to try it. On the first night, it wasn't that bad. It felt like normal gel cream. The next morning my forehead looked so red and irritated. The cleansers I used burnt my skin cus of the epiduo and it was because I couldn't mix and acne products with it. At the end I stopped using it and my skin has definitely improved! This product thinned,irritated and burnt my skin. :(

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2014 8:50:00 PM More reviews by carolyngmarie

I am now finished my second week on Epiduo/TactuPump (you can read my first review underneath this one).

I am now starting to experience the dryness/itching/and burning that everyone talks about. It's certainly not comfortable but it's DEFINITELY worth the benefits. I will say I do have a high tolerance for pain and discomfort, but the burning sensation REALLY isn't that bad, I would just say it's really important to use a good oil-free moisturizer while using this product.

It's only been two weeks and aside from the redness and dryness, my SKIN HAS IMPROVED DRAMATICALLY. The cystic acne which usually lasts weeks on my neck has disappeared completely. While my face skin is usually pretty clear, aside from the fact that I regularly had to squeeze my big gunk-filled pores on my nose and cheeks, that has also disappeared completely. My skin literally feels as smooth as a baby's bum and it is such a great feeling.

Stick with it. Also-- I did not have any of the bad breakouts that some people mention they have.

-----
I am a 25-year-old female, and up until about a year ago, my skin was flawless (which I attribute to being on Yaz, which I was on for about 6/7 years). Prior to that, I dealt with lots of breakouts on my chin and cheeks, but nothing that was unbearable. Just average, really.

Since being off the birth control pill, my skin has been an absolute nightmare-- except not average pimples like I used to get. This time around, I get what starts out a pimple, but then turns into a cyst-like red bump that scabs and peels and scabs and peels and each take about a month and a half to heal. I usually have about 3 at a time, and when I think one heals, three more appear. They are painful and cause me SO much anxiety because I have tried every medicated AND non-mediated (high quality) skin care product(s) available. Nothing. Clears. This. Crap. Fortunately, if anything. they only cover my neck and jawline so they aren't as obvious as being on my cheek or forehead.

After going to the Dermatologist last week, my doctor gave me a prescription of Tactupump, and a form for bloodwork, as Accutane (if this Tactupump doesn't work) is the next step. He basically told me, that Tactupump is the last stop before Accutane.

Liket the other reviews, I haven't had ANY dryness whatsoever, even after making the horrible mistake of applying it three times on the first day (I have a bad habit of obsessive compulsive behaviour). It's been about 4 days and so far the cysts appear to be far less red and smaller to the touch. Seems like they are healing fairly well but it's only been a few days.

The only side effect I've had is the feeling of being flushed or over heating in the face. But that's only after I put it on.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2014 9:26:00 PM More reviews by IamnotWhatIam

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I started using this about 3-4 days ago.
I was having one of the worst breakouts of my life with huge pimples filled with pus forming mountains on my forehead that were so painful and greasy. Initially, I had tried to buy Duac for my acne, as it had worked previously, but to my dismay, they weren't selling their product anymore. I was hesitant to buy Epiduo because I've used it before when I was in high school and the results were non-existent, and to some extent had worsened my mild acne so I was scared to buy it and try it again this time around. Luckily, I had decided to go through with it and the results are great so far! The pimples on my forehead have gone down dramatically, they're not as red, they're a lot smaller and they aren't painful to touch anymore! I have extremely oily skin too so after a few days of using this product it dried out my cheeks immediately, which is a little painful, but the results are great none the less :) I still have a few pimples on my forehead and cheeks but they've reduced in size dramatically and it's only been a couple of days so hopefully by next week most of the pimples will be gone :D

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by Anadgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a miracle in a tube. I have suffered with acne, late in life, for the last 10 years or so...nothing would straighten my skin out. Back in April, I started Accutane after many failed treatments, which did help, but the side effects were so unpleasant...I am currently dealing with vision problems that coincided with the Accutane course, so my doc stopped it and put me on Epiduo in early August....6 weeks in, my skin hasn't been this clear in years...its doing a better job, in a shorter period of time, than the Accutane.

The best part is I have virtually no side effects...my derm asked me to start slowly, 3x the first week, then add a day the next week if my skin was handling it, etc. I quickly worked up to 6x a week with no problem other than a bit of redness at first.

I also have been using CeraVe PM lotion 2x a day, which I believe has helped my skin tremendously...I also just added a 40% lactic acid peel 1x a week.

I finally am getting clear smooth skin, after all these years...wish I had tried this sooner.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 4:44:00 PM More reviews by gurpreetbola

Let me just say I an in Love with this product. Nothing else has ever worked for my acne so I finally went to a dermatologist and this is my first prescription medication. I started using Epiduo on the 8th of July and have been using it for about 10 weeks. My face in 100% clear now. I logged my progress on a secret board on pinterest with picrured and captions which I will be copy-pasting onto this review. I have only ever had acne on my forehead and that is the only place I have been using epiduo. I have also been using Minocycline-but I don't that that has helped at all. It did not burn my skin as it did with most people. .

July 9, 2014. DAY TWO. Redness of pimples went down the first night with Tactuo. I took the capsule the next morning and had 7 new breakouts that night. 3 of them forming a small triangle on my cheek which is unusual since I rarely ever break out on my cheeks. Usually only one large pimple, not 3 small ones.

July 14, 2014. DAY SEVEN. 1 week update. Skin looks and feels very bad. I have had pizza 5 times in under 2 weeks. That might be the reason why.

July 16, 2014. DAY NINE. Pimples don't last very long. They are gone within about 3 days (except the 3 pimples on my cheek. Forehead seems much clearer than last night. Woke up with a popped pimple with dried up blood on it, and a few white heads came out while washing my face this morning. I think the initial purging phase is over. Its the first day my skin has been is flaky because of the Tactuo. UPDATE: This picture was taken at around noon. It is now midnight 12 hours later and my forehead already looks better than it does in this picture. The Tactuo burned for the first time tonight when I put it on.

July 17, 2014. DAY TEN. I've noticed that over half of the small flesh colored under the skin bumps visible in the July 9th picture are gone. Skin was flaky this morning but it is now oily at 4:00 pm. Ended the day with no whiteheads, 6 red pimples on my forehead, and a 7th inflamed pimple in my sideburn area, the second one in this area since I started on the treatment.

July 20th, 2014. DAY THIRTEEN. About 1/3 of the bottom of my forehead has cleared up. I haven't been drinking much water, barely a glass each day. I am going to work on drinking more.

July 24, 2014. DAY SEVENTEEN. My skin looks so bad. I think the initial breakout has actually just started.

July 25th, 2014. DAY EIGHTEEN. Gross. So many whiteheads (over 7).

September 6th, 2014. DAY SIXTY TWO. Not the best quality picture. For the first time in about 3 years I happy with the texture of my skin, but the tone still needs to improve. I have 3 small visible bumps from pimples that have already popped. I see 1 more small bump, but am not sure if it's going to turn into a pimple of not. Other than that, I expect to have no new pimples anytime soon-maybe around my hairline because that area does not feel as smooth at the rest of my forehead. I have LOTS of scars, but I expect them to fade within 2 months because I am using Epiduo which speeds up the skin cell turnover, and the scar from the pimple I had on my upper lip on June 18, is almost completely gone and it hasn't even been 3 months yet. It has healed naturally, so I expect the scars on my forehead to heal even sooner with the help of Epiduo. Also, I had pizza about 5 times a week, and wore make up about 2 times a week (usually only wear it once every 1-2 months) during all of August and it had no effect on my acne since I was using Epiduo and Minocycline. TIP: don't stop using this medication once your skin has cleared. It works by unclogging your pored and preventing clogged pores so you have to keep using it. It's kind of like exercising to lose weight, once you stop, you will gain it back.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2014 10:42:00 PM More reviews by PoonSqaud

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Hi,
I started using this product over 3 months ago to treat my moderate acne which severely effects my confidence. Before this product i was on oral antibiotics and have tried numerous cosmetic creams and natural remedies to cure my acne. Unfortunately, none of these previous methods were successful.
After reading the positive reviews of this product, I had high hopes for this. However, my hopes quickly diminished. I initially had a bad reaction to the cream and broke out, with peeling skin, and my face was red. My dermatologist said it would start to work between 4-8 weeks. Im now past my 12th week and am still breaking out, however the peeling skin has stopped. I've booked another appointment with a dermatologist however I have to wait another 8 weeks for the appointment. Until then I guess I will have to suffer.
I hope this product works for you but for me it has been a total disaster and has prevented me from finding another cure to my acne problem.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by csquared14

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The single greatest $35 (with my insurance) I have ever spent in my life. I don't know if there is something above HG, but if there is, this is it for me. This product completely changed my life.

SHORT SUMMARY: I have been on Epiduo for 3 months. I'm going to break down my whole experience below, because I think that it is especially important for this product, but the bottom line is that this works. It is an incredible product, and you WILL go through hell for a few weeks, but if you use it as directed, it does have the ability to work miracles.

Now, onto my experience. First, I had decent skin as a teenager, but the second I turned 22, BAM. Cystic acne all over my cheeks. It was horrible, painful, and demeaning - anyone who has ever had problems with acne knows the incredible hit your self-esteem takes. I literally have not worn my hair up in public or gone out without foundation for three years. I got the breakouts somewhat under control a year in with Mario Badescu products, but I still consistently had flare ups at all times on at least one part of my face. It was awful. I don't really know why it took me three years to get to a dermatologist - part of it originally was lack of insurance, but then it turned into something that I felt like I could fix myself if I just got the right products. I finally broke down (literally) three months ago and decided to just get myself to a derm. She took one look at my face and prescribed Epiduo and three months of the oral antibiotic minocycline (solodyn is its brand name). She basically described it as the minocycline would help the Epiduo work faster, so my timeline below might be a bit different from yours because my skin had that extra push. However, just based on the changes that I saw on my skin, I STRONGLY believe that the majority of skin-clearing happened because of the Epiduo.

Basically, Epiduo is prescription-only (so I feel a little weird recommending it, since it should come from your doctor). It's from the makers of Cetaphil, which is weirdly comforting to me. Mine came in a tube, although I've seen online that some people get it in pump form. It looks and feels like a typical BP cream, as it is a combination of BP and a retinol, adapalene. That combination is what really sets Epiduo apart - most topicals are one or the other. I've had my one tube for three months, and it is not close to running out yet. So it's not cheap, especially if you don't have insurance, but you do get a lot of product for your money.

The most important thing I learned about Epiduo is that it may look like your friendly, familiar OTC BP cream, but it is not. DO NOT PLAY AROUND with this stuff. It's the last stop before the skincare train goes to Accutane-land, meaning it is STRONG. My doctor had me start by applying it twice a week and gradually building up. For my skin type, personally, that felt a bit slow to me and I started building up usage quicker, but that was just me knowing my skin really well after years of experimenting with treatments on my own. I have read online about people using this twice a day - PLEASE DO NOT DO THAT. My skin hurts just thinking about it. I put it on at night, after cleansing my face. I use just a pea sized amount on my finger - you don't need any more than that - and apply it ONLY to the areas that need it. I then wait twenty minutes for it to dry and sink it before I apply moisturizer.

Even starting slow, my skin got INCREDIBLY dry and cracked a few days in. Some days, it was actually painful. I basically had to throw out my old skincare regimen and find the most mild one I could get - a lot of people use a very basic Cetaphil routine with this (again, same company). I personally prefer CeraVe products - I used their Hydrating Cleanser and then their cream at night (I felt I needed something thicker than the lotion), and then a Clinique moisturizer with SPF during theday. The SPF is very important, because Epiduo has a retinol and makes your skin sensitive to sunlight. I used my Clarisonic less with this, because I was afraid of irritating my skin even more. There were points where even putting moisturizer on stung badly. Know that if this happens to you, it is normal.

And then the purging. I've always been skeptical of the science behind purging, but I totally believe it now. About two weeks in, my skin went a bit nuts. Awful, huge red pimples, even in areas I hadn't broken out in before. This is awful and demoralizing and it sucks, but you just have to wait it out. If this is happening to you, DO NOT STOP EPIDUO. Keep going. You just have to power through it. Because of this phase of treatment, I really recommend thoroughly doing your online research before you start Epiduo. Read forums, Makeup Alley reviews, articles - everything so that you have a bit of support to fall back on.

A little over a month it, things started changing. The purging breakouts started to go away and left clear, healthy skin behind. The extreme dry skin had gone away. Yes, there is scarring and discoloration that I am still dealing with, but three months out, my skin is SMOOTH for the first time in THREE YEARS. I literally cannot put into words what this means to me. Now that the retinol is kicking in, my skin just feels so silky and nice.

Seriously, if you are prescribed this, it's scary at first, but you just need to wait it out. Know that adapalene, the retinol in Epiduo, takes EIGHT TO TWELVE WEEKS to start showing results (your skin's cycle is a full 6 weeks, too). This is not an overnight miracle and you end up earning that clear skin, but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. I highly, HIGHLY recommend asking your doctor about this product if breakouts are doing anything to hurt your self-esteem or starting to affect your day-to-day life. This product changed my life, and that is no exaggeration.

ETA: I also recommend not getting your brows waxed while you're on this. Just don't.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/2/2014 1:17:00 PM More reviews by franneh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Here's my experience on using TactuPump thus far:

1st week: Tightness, dryness, burning, flaking... you name it. The first week is by far the worst. On some nights, I had troubles sleeping because I was in such discomfort. Started to get discouraged because my skin looked and felt worse than ever, but the doc warned me that this would happened at the start. Power through! It gets better. You have to be patient.

2nd week: This is the week where I started to break out like CRAZY... in places I rarely even break out! Mainly on my cheeks and chin. I could tell that all the bacteria / whiteheads were almost drawn out of my skin. The side effects still persisted, with the addition of redness. On some days, I could barely wear any makeup.

3rd week: Horray! Some side effects have subsided. Less burning, dryness, and tightness, but the redness and breakouts are still happening. I have to say though, my old acne / scars have flattened out. Feeling much more encouraged each day I use it. Will update again soon.

Tips:
*Use a gentle cleanser + moisturizer with this. I use Cetaphil oi-free cleanser (they send you a free kit if you sign up on the website with your DIN code), and Cetaphil Restoraderm Moisturizer --> this is essential, IMO. very moisturizing, which is what you need, because Tactupump is very drying!
*Do not, I repeat, do NOT apply the gel anywhere close to your eyes! It WILL make your eyes swell up and it's not pretty. I use one pump for my whole face. Trust me when I say this is plenty. It's a very strong medication. I apply only to my forehead, cheeks, and chin. Avoid the hairlines as well.
*Don't apply Tactupump under your makeup. I tried this once and it just made my skin very tight and dry throughout the day. Just apply once before you goto bed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 5:48:00 PM More reviews by oosagi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've used this for three weeks now. It's amazing. My skin hasn't looked this good since I was twelve. I had acne as a teenager, and it just never went away as an adult. I've tried Retin-A twice, the second time in my late twenties, and it was just too irritating for me, I had to stop after a year and a half because no amount of tweaking my regimen would calm the redness and burning. I was using Acne.org's benzoyl peroxide regimen for a few years, but recently it just wasn't cutting it. I went to my doctor and reluctantly asked for a retinoid, with no great hope it would help because I'd had such a hard time with Retin-A. He prescribed this, and I couldn't be happier. The first week I had some irritation, a bit of a worsening of my acne, and some peeling. I started out applying every other night. Since the second week, my skin has just been looking better and better every day, with barely any irritation despite using it every night. Recall though that I was already using benzoyl peroxide every night, so my skin was already toughened up to that medication. Currently I only have rapidly fading pigmented scars left now, and the texture of my skin is soft and amazing. I practically glow. I did not believe there was a product out there that could give me this great of a result.