Acne Treatment: Epiduo (USA) / TactuPump (Canada)

adapalene (0.1%) and benzoyl peroxide (2.5%)

on 4/30/2015 12:06:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Here was experience on using TactuPump:

1st week: Tightness, dryness, burning, flaking... you name it. The first week is by far the worst. On some nights, I had troubles sleeping because I was in such discomfort. Started to get discouraged because my skin looked and felt worse than ever, but the doc warned me that this would happened at the start.

2nd week: This is the week where I started to break out like CRAZY... in places I rarely even break out! Mainly on my cheeks and chin. I could tell that all the bacteria / whiteheads were almost drawn out of my skin. The side effects still persisted, with the addition of redness. On some days, I could barely wear any makeup.

3rd week: Some side effects have subsided. Less burning, dryness, and tightness, but the redness and breakouts are still happening. Some of my old acne / scars have flattened out, like on my forehead.

6th week: My skin has honestly never been this bad. I guess this is the stage where my skin is purging. I'm talking horrible acne all along my left jaw line and chin and breakouts on my cheeks. I went to the doctor for a check-up and he said the inflammation was so bad that he put me on Minocycline (antibiotics.) I'm feeling really discouraged. I've stopped using Tactupump everyday because i'm afraid it's just making my skin worse. I know that it's supposed to get worse before it gets better... but THIS worse? I don't know. I'm going to have scars solely from using Tactupump. I've decreased my usage to every other day. Will update again if/when I see improvements.

**** PLEASE READ ****
I used TactuPump for about 12 weeks and my skin was literally raw. I've never had such inflamed and terrible acne in my life. It was awful. I started out with just mild acne and after reading such positive reviews about TactuPump, I decided to give it a try. I regret it SO much. My jawline was especially bad. I couldn't look in the mirror for weeks. I went to the doctor and he told me to stop using it because my skin had a very bad reaction to it. I thought I could tough it out to see if it would get better, but it was just getting worse and worse every single day. I was very upset every morning, waking up seeing my acne getting worse. Even after stopping, the acne never got better. So I ended up with worse skin than when I started. Eventually, I went on Accutane (40mg dosage) and that was only thing that cured my skin. Long story short, please please please listen to your skin. I kept waiting to see if it would get better, because reviews were saying that it was just your skin purging, but I really regret waiting that long before realizing that the product just wasn't fit for my skin. Terrible experience, but at the end of the day, I found a solution that cleared up the acne that TactuPump had brought out. This product may work for some, but unfortunately, it did not for me.

on 4/23/2015 7:52:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

READ THIS IF YOUR DEPRESSED OVER ACNE AND SCARRING! !!
I'd always had very clear skin...odd pimple here and there (you know the ones that pop and go in a day or two)....but fast forward to my 30s...and my skin was getting spots...ones I'd never had like tiny under the skin bumps....then I started getting the large cystic type...the ones that never get a head on and last week's. ...
I tried every product from drug store to high end. ..but I never had oily skin I was more on the dryer side but I thought drying spots out was the thing to do and clear my skin....BUT NOTHING WAS WORKING! I was becoming antisocial and stopped going out unless I had to and if I went out I'd smother my face in thick foundation and wrap a scarf round my lower face where my acne was (but summer was coming so I knew I'd have to ditch my scalf)...I was in tears I dreaded waking up and trying to avoid people yet again....I was so down and confidence was on the floor!
So I decided to go the docs and was put on antibiotics and differin cream ...so I was depressed and hoped this was my cure...the differin was ok..it smoothed out the smaller under the skin spots but the cysts kept on coming....so antidepressants really didn't help! So I decided enough was enough....I had to try a different approach. ...
my face was dry sore scaly and so sensitive from all the acne washes..creams...gels...acne moisturisers etc...I looked like a sun dried tomato!
READ THIS PART IF YOU SKIPPED REST AS THIS IS HOW I CLEARED MY SKIN IN A MONTH!
I researched skin sebum pores etc...read so much on how skin works and what helps and what doesn't!
I was causing my acne by trying so hard to get rid of it...honestly! !!!
By using so many acne fighting products filled with chemicals like salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. ..masks...peels..etc I was inflaming my skin and drying it all out not just drying out thr acne...so top layer of my skin was thicker and ruffer...so my body would panic and over produce more sebum...but that sebum was getting trapped in my pores causing spots that would then create a nest for bacteria causing bigger cystic acne. ..which I'd pick at and try to burst all the time leaving red scars behind...I was so miserable!
So I ditched all my acne products and treated my skin better!
It's a case of getting your skin back to a natural ph level!
So I got myself an oil cleanser which helped unclog pored and take surface oils away without stripping natural much needed oils too. ..then id wash with olay refreshing face wash and use a really good more natural moisturiser I love aveeno moisturising cream. ..amazing stuff!
After a couple of weeks my skin was smoother and felt so much better and just normal....but I was still getting the odd spot and I got a huge cystic one on my chin. ..gutted!
But still my skin looked and felt better...acne scars had faded a little too an my face was less red!
BRING ON EPIDUO CREAM!!! ITS WHAT YOUR READING THIS REVIEW FOR!
Went back to docs and I was given this cream...I went home read reviews and thought NO WAY AM I GOING BACK TO RED DRY SKIN...but after a few days and this annoying spot on my chin that seemed to be getting bigger I thought I'd try it...it didn't burn my skin for first few uses...I'd only put it on my chin and jaw (acne prone zone)...after a day or two my big spot came to a head and yep I popped it....lol...I continued using cream and my skin was stinging a bit more so I decided to moisturise chin first wait an hour and put epiduo on...did this for a week ...my skin didn't seem dryer or redder. ..but my skin was looking clearer and I hadn't had any new spots so far....week two sticking to
my new skin care routine only using epiduo my skin is looking better everyday still no new acne not even a little spot and even my scars have faded lots more....now I do use st Ives blemish control scub a couple of times a week but it only had small amounts of salicylic acid in it and it really smooths out my skin...epiduo still stings a bit when I apply it but after it sinks in I put my moisturizer over it instead now.
Now I'm not saying its all down to epiduo but I personally think because I settled my skin with gentler products and restored the pH balance of my skin and used a good moisturizer and stopped overloading my skin with acne skin drying chemicals my skin took epiduo so much better....if I'd put it on my skin before while it was already dry red and inflamed it would have burnt my skin...dried it out and made it peel....but so far none of that has happened.
So before you use the epiduo get your skin back to its pH balance and keep it hydrated....ditch all the chemicals and use a good naturally balanced moisturizer..... Then start the epiduo....
My skins not perfect....I may well get more acne again...still have scars but they are lighter now....make up goes on better and smoother...so I'll enjoy my skin while it lasts as its the best its been in years.....10/10 on this product so far... If it changes I'll update this post.....just try ditching the chemicals for a while and only use one acne treatment at a time....ones from the docs is best!good luck peeps :)

on 4/11/2015 9:16:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I am making myself write this to hopefully help other women. I had beautiful, glowing skin up until about September of last year. I began to break out on my cheeks and on my chin below my mouth (in that particular spot I always had, so I didn't think too much of it). I chalked it up to picking up smoking again, drinking too much coffee, and stress. I focused on washing every night with my summer product, alba coconut milk deep cleansing which had worked for my fairly trouble free but slightly oily skin in the summer months. It didn't make a dent and the cysts were forming more and now clustering and therefore forming some hyperpigmentation scars. It became noticeable to everyone around me. I couldn't get away without wearing makeup like i had if i was going anywhere where i cared about what people thought about my looks. I started making decisions on going out or staying in based on my face. At this time I visited my mother and she repurchased Arbonne smoothing cleanser for me- a wonderful plant based line that had really worked for me in the past. I saw a slight improvement but as soon as I hit ovulation or menstruated my face was a battle zone. My cheeks and chin were covered on cystic acne and whiteheads. I started taking burdock root and vitex berry for my hormones. I began trying steaming everyday with eucalyptus and lavender oil, apple cider vinegar toner, followed by a coconut oil rub. I saw beautiful skin on my forehead and below my eyes, however my skin on my cheeks became really horrible. It felt hydrated and beautiful but looked disgusting. I thought I would never see clear skin again. I thought all I had to do was make it through the purge stage and I'd be okay- no way. I switched back to Arbonne and saw slight improvement at some points in the month. My friends all commented on my skin and felt terrible. I hated being the ugly one. I had to go to the doctor. She prescribed me birth control, Reclipsen, and doxycycyline and gave me a referral to the dermatologist, also commenting that I may have to do Accutane- which completely freaked me out. I stay away from pharmaceuticals as much as I can and I heard nightmares about Accutane. Thankfully the derma could fit me in the next day. I hadn't picked up the doxy because it was far too expensive (almost $160) so he prescribed me minocyclyne and Epiduo. He also gave me a coupon. I saw with the minocycline in the first week that I was breaking out less and inflammation decreased. I plan on ceasing minocycline after I start on my second packet of Reclipsen. I used Epiduo in conjunction with my Arbonne wash with a magnaminty face mask from Lush once a week or so. I am in week three and my face is 70% better. There was a purging stage that I chalked up to ovulation, but I realize it could have been all of the blocked pores coming up after reading all of these reviews. I see a marked difference after using Epiduo at night now. Pimples will be reduced the next morning. If they are whiteheads, I do help them along a little with a clean pair of tweezers and then rub Epiduo gel right on it at night. The next morning, it is either gone or the whitehead is much smaller. In week three I am SO glad I went to the dermatologist. Running every day to sweat and drinking at least 1.5 liters of water every day has helped as well. I don't smoke as often and have coffee 3-4 times a week, and only one or two small cups at a time. Keep with the Epiduo- it may burn but it's killing off all of the p. acnes bacteria in your face. Hope this review helped someone..

on 4/3/2015 1:47:00 PM

I can't believe I'm writing a review. After Almost 7 years of struggling with my skin and reading what feels like millions of reviews and trying many products to clear my skin I am hoping (fingers crossed) that I have finally found THE cure. This feels a bit surreal to be honest, I can't tell you how many times I have read peoples success stories and just wished so badly that one day it would be me. Don't get me wrong, if you're struggling with bad skin these forums are a GODSEND when you need hope to keep searching for answers and to remind yourself you aren't alone, cause sometimes you feel like you're the only person with bad skin. When my skin took a turn for the worst a few months ago (the most horrible breakout I'd ever experienced) I promised myself that when i found something that would work, that I would make the most detailed review possible in hopes that I could help even just ONE person out there that has a similar struggle to mine. So apologies for the length but it has been a long road for me and I want to help someone else. Acne sucks. When I felt really disgusted over my skin I would try so hard to remind myself that things could be so much worse. I have my health, all my limbs, my eyesight, everything that a human needs to function properly. But damn no matter how hard I tried my bad skin just took over my ilfe.... I refused to be seen without makeup, constantly cancelled plans, could never enjoy being outdoors or going to the lake because I didn't want people to see my pimples/scars. My acne was mild (developed into moderate) and hormonal but left HORRIBLE pigmentation that left bright red marks that lasted forever.. I was even embarrassed to let my family see me without makeup with is pathetic but I was just embarrassed at how gross my skin looked. My breakouts were always hormonal (forehead and chin) but then my acne type changed and I was also developing DEEP blackheads that stayed there forever, and tons of clogged pores around my chin that eventually one by one turn into cysts (so painful and embarassing) I NEVER had acne growing up. My first pimple was at age 22. I've been the derm dozens of times in the last two years. Summer of 2013 I started Aczone and Atralin. Worked WONDERS for a few months and I felt relieved my battle with acne was over. Unfortunately though, those meds stopped working and my acne slowly creeped back and then it was worse than ever. I'll admit that I had a heightened level of stress recently that may have contributed to this horrible breakout but regardless, I was beyond over it and at the end of my rope and on the verge of losing my sanity. I was so tired of being self conscious and spending EVERY waking hour worrying about my face. It was exhausting. So In January of 2015 I went BACK to the derm to start over. He put me on duac. I cried because benzoyl peroxide had dried my face before and I knew it wouldn't work. Well, duac worked SOMEWHAT, removed a few blackheads but I was breaking out horribly around my chin while on it. Felt super discouraged. Then he put me on Finacea (for rosacea), which helped slightly at first, but my chin continued to breakout in horrible huge painful inflamed pimples. One would clear up then two-three more would pop up. I couldn't catch a break. I was in the derm what felt like every other day for cortisone injections. Finally he said well let's try epiduo since you had success at first with Atralin (a retin-a , and epiduo has bp AND a retinoid combined) I went home crying, knowing it wouldn't work. But realized I had no other option but to at least TRY it. I was scared, I was skeptical, I was a pessimist and knew it wouldn't work. I knew i was going to suffer more breakouts but I had to give it a shot. So I did. And let me tell you, all the reviews you read (try and only read 5 star reviews) are so true. IT COMPLETELY SUCKS AT FIRST. I wish it didn't have to, but it just does. But pleaaase remember it is TEMPORARY. The first couple days I used it I had several of those red inflamed cystic pimples flare up on my chin. I wanted to cry (oh wait, I DID cry, a lot), but I decided to trust what people were saying and power through it. If you are able to go in for cortisone shots while you first start this product it at least helps the pain and for them to subside faster. And also pleaaaase don't let this discourage you because you may not purge in big inflamed pimples like I did but I think this happened to me because some of my pores on my chin had such large and deep clogs that it was almost unavoidable having them surface without getting inflammed. Your purging may not even be that bad! But OMG. slowly but surely, I think I found what is going to work for me... blackheads on my forehead are slowly coming to the surface (I have been able to literally pluck some of them out) and know that with consistent and persistent use they rest of them will clear up as well... It sucks purging but I can really tell it is clearing out all my gross clogged pores around my chin as well. It's only been a week, and I still have pimples purging and I know there is more to come, but I am SO much more hopeful realizing that this WILL pass and soon my skin will be clear.. My skin is dry and slightly peeling, but again, I'M PUSHING THROUGH IT AND YOU SHOULD TOO!!!. Fight through it!!!! I plan on updating every week or so with my progress. My skin is far from clear, but I can tell this is working. Give it a shot. OH and use it everyday, I didn't at first because I was scared of the dryness but every day is KEY. attack attack attack that bacteria!!

MORNING:

cetaphil gentle cleanser

finacea

oil of olay oiil-free fragrance free moisturizer

NIGHT:

oil of olay cleansing cloths- fragrance free/sensitive skin

epiduo (SMALL amount on affected area)

30 min later oil of olay oil free fragrance free moisturizer

DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all my fellow acne sufferers, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL AND I LOVE YOU!!

on 3/25/2015 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was breaking out very bad on my forehead and chin and my doctor prescribed me this. At first it didn't work at all, then it slightely started to improve my skin before everything went sour and my skin ended up worse than it was beforehand. It then got so dry and itchy for a few weeks it was almost unbearable. But in saying that, eventually my skin got over all that and now the cream works like a dream! I have little to no pimples, I haven't had a breakout since and it's also helped with my blackheads. I think it was worth the trouble at the start.

on 3/23/2015 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My journey:

Before starting (9.12.14):
Skin has had the worst cystic breakout ever, around 8 cysts on shoulders upper back, 2 cysts near waist line, a lot of clogged pores and small red pimples/ whiteheads. Before I start I just want to say that I apply 3 pie sized drops all over my upper middle back and only apply moisturizer 2-3 times a week. I apply the medication at least 15 minutes after my shower otherwise my skin becomes very irritated and itchy.

Week 1 (16.12.14):
Have alternated days so that I can ease myself into epiduo rather then using it everyday and becoming overall irritated and raw. So far I have around 4 cysts on each shoulder and 2 cysts in-between so around 10 altogether on the upper back. Waist cysts are gone, still a lot of clogged pores/ sebum plugs in the middle and upper back. A lot of small red pimples and blackheads on shoulders. So far not much changed.

Week 2 (23.12.14):
Forgot to update but pretty much identical to week 1.

Week 3 (30.12.14):
Have been breaking out more than usual on my shoulders and center of middle/lower back. Scabs have formed in 2 palm sized sections on my back from scratching my back. Spots are healing faster than normal and leaving quite a lot of pigmentation. Right shoulder went from 2 dark spots to around 8. Lower/ middle center back has been getting worse and feels much more coarse. Can feel the texture and pimples that are under the skin and about to come out. Roughly around 8 cysts on each shoulder per week, and tend to vanish within 2-3 days. Most pimples come to a head. I have taken a couple of photos of my back to see what my back looked like before entering 2015. I also have a bad breakout on my chest along with maybe a yeast overgrowth (folliculitis), which I have been washing with cetaphil daily and treating with benzac 2.5%, cetaphil moisturizing lotion and tea tree oil.

Week 4 (06.01.15)
All the hard sebum plugs and most clogged pores on my back are gone. I still have a lot of dark marks on my shoulders and currently have around 3 cysts on each shoulder and 2 in the middle. Can feel a lot of hard sebum plugs and clogged pores on my lower middle back, I have started applying epiduo there as well. I am currently about 90% done with my first bottle (30g) and am trying to ride it out for another week or so. Still washing with cetaphil daily and have just started exfoliating gently with the body shop exfoliating gloves around twice a week.

Week 5 (13.01.15)
Just had another breakout all over the shoulders. Back isn’t that itchy anymore, now I exfoliate around 3 times a week. Pretty much the same as week 4. In 2 days it will be a month since I started using it every day.

Week 6 (20.01.15)
The breakouts on my back have started to calm down. The cream has caused immense hyperpigmentation and scabbing all across my upper back and I have started to half my epiduo size and double my moisturizer to help them heal. I have broken out in 4 big pimples on my lower back but those are probably gonna go away in a few days. Still washing with cetaphil and exfoliating twice a week. Some scabs have started to peel off and burnnnnn when I apply epiduo.

Week 7 (27.01.15)
Forgot to update

Week 8 (3. 02. 15)
Breaking out in mass amounts has stopped but I still have pimples, about 2 on each shoulder sand 2 on the lower neck. Lower back is still purging but I feel like it is starting to get a bit better. My main concern now is the mass amounts of hyperpigmentation and scabs I have. I don’t know if it’s a chemical burn or something else but it is all over my upper half of my back and has literally shredded my self esteem. Thinking about asking for tretinoin from a dermatologist that im seeing on the 17th. I’m going to start applying only 2 pea sized amounts of epiduo every other day to help heal scabs.

23.03/15 (switched to tretinoin, after giving up on epiduo)
Summary:
NEVER LEAVE EPIDUO ON FOR A FULL 24 HOURS, I HAD SEVERE CHEMICAL BURNS AND SCABBING BECAUSE OF IT. Best moisturser to combat dryness- cetaphil moisturizer cream

My regular GP recommended that I try this product. I have horrible - as I would personally describe it as- closed comedonal acne. From afar, it appears that there is nothing wrong with my skin, but as you get close you'll see that both my cheeks are covered in teeny little bumps under my skin. occasionally, these will surface into a pimple. They are awful, and when I put makeup on it makes it look like I have disgusting, lumpy skin. I can't even hide it.

Anyways, as preparation, I exfoliated my skin on the first day, moisturized, and applied this product. It seemed to be doing nothing. With Proactiv, you can feel it burning immediately, but with this I felt nothing. I thought it was because I was wearing lotion, so the next day I tried it on bare skin. Still nothing, and it hasn't made my skin dry, change, get better or worse. its been two weeks, still looks the same. I'm very confused, I've never had a product, especially over the counter do absolutely nothing, not even cause redness or side effects. Wondering if this is even working at all? Has anyone else experienced this? I find this very strange.

With Proactiv, it seemed as though it was working and when I discontinued use due to insane dryness, it came back 10 times worse than when I had started.

Not sure what this Tactupump stuff is going to do, but I will report back with results....

on 3/21/2015 9:26:00 PM

I've struggled with acne since I was a teen. I've tried a ton of products, and a lot of them worked, but they were cumbersome. Proactiv stopped working. Antibiotics are absolutely horrible for your system (your stomach especially) and nothing organic or natural could touch my cysts.

I started using epiduo and gradually my skin is absolutely glowing. Not a single blemish left. I don't even have to wear makeup anymore. For a girl who's learned how to perfect her makeup to cover up huge, painful cysts, I could not be more pleased.

Give this medicine a chance! Try it for a few months. It changed my life.

on 3/13/2015 1:09:00 AM

I get this 15g gel from my GP for USD 22 (SGD 30). It is resonable for presciption acne product and I can claim insurance.

Today I am on my 9th day of using this acne gel, it works pretty well, in fact much better than Retin-A. I see no dryness now, no pain no tightness, I guess this gel together with my Clinique 3 steps works well together. There are still some cystics pimples around my chin and cheeks area, I should see how this gel will kill all these badies and I will stop my oral medication.

My routines are follows:-

AM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap - Clinique Clarifying Toner 2 - Clinique DDML+ - Clinique Even Better Whitening serum -Clinique Super City Sunblock SPF 40 - ZA Whitening 2 way cake

PM: Clinique Take the day off Cleansing Balm - Clinique Liquid Facial Soap with Clinique Sonic Cleansing Brush - Clinique Clarifying Toner 2 - Clinique DDML+ Epiduo Gel.

on 2/25/2015 11:20:00 PM

Review as at Week 5 of treatment;
I figured now was the time to right a quick review (which I plan to edit when this product solves all my problems!).

Im 32 and have never really suffered from acne in the past, but 6months ago I started to get a few spots, which I disregarded as a result of general lifestyle changes (food/exercise/travel/stress etc etc). I went to see one of the best regarded beauticians in Sydney who gave me a long list of new skincare products and I started regular (monthly) Omnilux and microderm. 5months later I have lovely skin except for the acne around my chin/neck which has not improved but in fact got worse.

A few months ago I mentioned it to my GP who wrote me a prescription for EpiDuo, but after reading all these reviews I was too scared to try it. But this year – I felt like nothing I was doing was helping in anyway so 5 weeks ago I started EpiDuo.

I started slowly like the instructions suggest, every second night and just used a small amount on the problem areas; after a week I felt like my skin could handle it daily so for the last 4weeks I have been using EpiDuo daily. For the first 2 weeks I put my moisturiser (SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream) on before EpiDuo as a buffer and I really recommend this as to date I have had no issue with skin dryness. The last two weeks I have been applying EpiDuo first and then an hour later I add my moisturiser over the top.

Many of the reviews I have read mention the extreme dryness, but thankfully I haven’t experienced this (and I generally have quite dry skin so im surprised). I have however experienced this purging everyone mentioned!!! Looking back at some of the photos ive taken (download the epitracker app to take and compare photos every few days) im astounded to see my skin in such horrible shape – its mortifying!

Im 5 weeks in and starting to (almost) see a light at the end of the tunnel – my skin seems to be improving (though still worse than it was when before I started using the product) – I know everyone says to give it 12weeks so I have every intention of doing that – having come this far through the horrible first 4 weeks there is no way im giving up now!!

I will also say that ive experienced only a small amount of pain (more annoyance than actual pain) in the areas im using this, but during the day I do find that I get itchy in the areas I use the product. Nothing too bad and certainly not enough to stop using it – but just a warning for others.

That’s all for now – stay tuned for an update in another month or so.

Popular Treatments (Face)