Acne Treatment: Epiduo (USA) / TactuPump (Canada)

adapalene (0.1%) and benzoyl peroxide (2.5%)

on 3/25/2015 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was breaking out very bad on my forehead and chin and my doctor prescribed me this. At first it didn't work at all, then it slightely started to improve my skin before everything went sour and my skin ended up worse than it was beforehand. It then got so dry and itchy for a few weeks it was almost unbearable. But in saying that, eventually my skin got over all that and now the cream works like a dream! I have little to no pimples, I haven't had a breakout since and it's also helped with my blackheads. I think it was worth the trouble at the start.

on 3/23/2015 7:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

My journey:

Before starting (9.12.14):
Skin has had the worst cystic breakout ever, around 8 cysts on shoulders upper back, 2 cysts near waist line, a lot of clogged pores and small red pimples/ whiteheads. Before I start I just want to say that I apply 3 pie sized drops all over my upper middle back and only apply moisturizer 2-3 times a week. I apply the medication at least 15 minutes after my shower otherwise my skin becomes very irritated and itchy.

Week 1 (16.12.14):
Have alternated days so that I can ease myself into epiduo rather then using it everyday and becoming overall irritated and raw. So far I have around 4 cysts on each shoulder and 2 cysts in-between so around 10 altogether on the upper back. Waist cysts are gone, still a lot of clogged pores/ sebum plugs in the middle and upper back. A lot of small red pimples and blackheads on shoulders. So far not much changed.

Week 2 (23.12.14):
Forgot to update but pretty much identical to week 1.

Week 3 (30.12.14):
Have been breaking out more than usual on my shoulders and center of middle/lower back. Scabs have formed in 2 palm sized sections on my back from scratching my back. Spots are healing faster than normal and leaving quite a lot of pigmentation. Right shoulder went from 2 dark spots to around 8. Lower/ middle center back has been getting worse and feels much more coarse. Can feel the texture and pimples that are under the skin and about to come out. Roughly around 8 cysts on each shoulder per week, and tend to vanish within 2-3 days. Most pimples come to a head. I have taken a couple of photos of my back to see what my back looked like before entering 2015. I also have a bad breakout on my chest along with maybe a yeast overgrowth (folliculitis), which I have been washing with cetaphil daily and treating with benzac 2.5%, cetaphil moisturizing lotion and tea tree oil.

Week 4 (06.01.15)
All the hard sebum plugs and most clogged pores on my back are gone. I still have a lot of dark marks on my shoulders and currently have around 3 cysts on each shoulder and 2 in the middle. Can feel a lot of hard sebum plugs and clogged pores on my lower middle back, I have started applying epiduo there as well. I am currently about 90% done with my first bottle (30g) and am trying to ride it out for another week or so. Still washing with cetaphil daily and have just started exfoliating gently with the body shop exfoliating gloves around twice a week.

Week 5 (13.01.15)
Just had another breakout all over the shoulders. Back isnít that itchy anymore, now I exfoliate around 3 times a week. Pretty much the same as week 4. In 2 days it will be a month since I started using it every day.

Week 6 (20.01.15)
The breakouts on my back have started to calm down. The cream has caused immense hyperpigmentation and scabbing all across my upper back and I have started to half my epiduo size and double my moisturizer to help them heal. I have broken out in 4 big pimples on my lower back but those are probably gonna go away in a few days. Still washing with cetaphil and exfoliating twice a week. Some scabs have started to peel off and burnnnnn when I apply epiduo.

Week 7 (27.01.15)
Forgot to update

Week 8 (3. 02. 15)
Breaking out in mass amounts has stopped but I still have pimples, about 2 on each shoulder sand 2 on the lower neck. Lower back is still purging but I feel like it is starting to get a bit better. My main concern now is the mass amounts of hyperpigmentation and scabs I have. I donít know if itís a chemical burn or something else but it is all over my upper half of my back and has literally shredded my self esteem. Thinking about asking for tretinoin from a dermatologist that im seeing on the 17th. Iím going to start applying only 2 pea sized amounts of epiduo every other day to help heal scabs.

23.03/15 (switched to tretinoin, after giving up on epiduo)
Summary:
NEVER LEAVE EPIDUO ON FOR A FULL 24 HOURS, I HAD SEVERE CHEMICAL BURNS AND SCABBING BECAUSE OF IT. Best moisturser to combat dryness- cetaphil moisturizer cream

My regular GP recommended that I try this product. I have horrible - as I would personally describe it as- closed comedonal acne. From afar, it appears that there is nothing wrong with my skin, but as you get close you'll see that both my cheeks are covered in teeny little bumps under my skin. occasionally, these will surface into a pimple. They are awful, and when I put makeup on it makes it look like I have disgusting, lumpy skin. I can't even hide it.

Anyways, as preparation, I exfoliated my skin on the first day, moisturized, and applied this product. It seemed to be doing nothing. With Proactiv, you can feel it burning immediately, but with this I felt nothing. I thought it was because I was wearing lotion, so the next day I tried it on bare skin. Still nothing, and it hasn't made my skin dry, change, get better or worse. its been two weeks, still looks the same. I'm very confused, I've never had a product, especially over the counter do absolutely nothing, not even cause redness or side effects. Wondering if this is even working at all? Has anyone else experienced this? I find this very strange.

With Proactiv, it seemed as though it was working and when I discontinued use due to insane dryness, it came back 10 times worse than when I had started.

Not sure what this Tactupump stuff is going to do, but I will report back with results....

on 3/21/2015 9:26:00 PM

I've struggled with acne since I was a teen. I've tried a ton of products, and a lot of them worked, but they were cumbersome. Proactiv stopped working. Antibiotics are absolutely horrible for your system (your stomach especially) and nothing organic or natural could touch my cysts.

I started using epiduo and gradually my skin is absolutely glowing. Not a single blemish left. I don't even have to wear makeup anymore. For a girl who's learned how to perfect her makeup to cover up huge, painful cysts, I could not be more pleased.

Give this medicine a chance! Try it for a few months. It changed my life.

on 3/13/2015 1:09:00 AM

I get this 15g gel from my GP for USD 22 (SGD 30). It is resonable for presciption acne product and I can claim insurance.

Today I am on my 9th day of using this acne gel, it works pretty well, in fact much better than Retin-A. I see no dryness now, no pain no tightness, I guess this gel together with my Clinique 3 steps works well together. There are still some cystics pimples around my chin and cheeks area, I should see how this gel will kill all these badies and I will stop my oral medication.

My routines are follows:-

AM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap - Clinique Clarifying Toner 2 - Clinique DDML+ - Clinique Even Better Whitening serum -Clinique Super City Sunblock SPF 40 - ZA Whitening 2 way cake

PM: Clinique Take the day off Cleansing Balm - Clinique Liquid Facial Soap with Clinique Sonic Cleansing Brush - Clinique Clarifying Toner 2 - Clinique DDML+ Epiduo Gel.

on 2/25/2015 11:20:00 PM

Review as at Week 5 of treatment;
I figured now was the time to right a quick review (which I plan to edit when this product solves all my problems!).

Im 32 and have never really suffered from acne in the past, but 6months ago I started to get a few spots, which I disregarded as a result of general lifestyle changes (food/exercise/travel/stress etc etc). I went to see one of the best regarded beauticians in Sydney who gave me a long list of new skincare products and I started regular (monthly) Omnilux and microderm. 5months later I have lovely skin except for the acne around my chin/neck which has not improved but in fact got worse.

A few months ago I mentioned it to my GP who wrote me a prescription for EpiDuo, but after reading all these reviews I was too scared to try it. But this year Ė I felt like nothing I was doing was helping in anyway so 5 weeks ago I started EpiDuo.

I started slowly like the instructions suggest, every second night and just used a small amount on the problem areas; after a week I felt like my skin could handle it daily so for the last 4weeks I have been using EpiDuo daily. For the first 2 weeks I put my moisturiser (SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream) on before EpiDuo as a buffer and I really recommend this as to date I have had no issue with skin dryness. The last two weeks I have been applying EpiDuo first and then an hour later I add my moisturiser over the top.

Many of the reviews I have read mention the extreme dryness, but thankfully I havenít experienced this (and I generally have quite dry skin so im surprised). I have however experienced this purging everyone mentioned!!! Looking back at some of the photos ive taken (download the epitracker app to take and compare photos every few days) im astounded to see my skin in such horrible shape Ė its mortifying!

Im 5 weeks in and starting to (almost) see a light at the end of the tunnel Ė my skin seems to be improving (though still worse than it was when before I started using the product) Ė I know everyone says to give it 12weeks so I have every intention of doing that Ė having come this far through the horrible first 4 weeks there is no way im giving up now!!

I will also say that ive experienced only a small amount of pain (more annoyance than actual pain) in the areas im using this, but during the day I do find that I get itchy in the areas I use the product. Nothing too bad and certainly not enough to stop using it Ė but just a warning for others.

Thatís all for now Ė stay tuned for an update in another month or so.

on 2/14/2015 3:53:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Before using this product I had struggled with acne, I used to get a new pimple everyday. I tried many different types of products (Pro-active, Clinique Acne Solutions line, and multiple drugstore products) all drying out my usual oily skin. Once my doctor prescribed this product my skin cleared up immediately and my skin never looked better, it cleared my acne and faded all my acne scars. I have used this product religiously for a year and a half and only get pimples before my time of the month but they go away within a few days. This is the only product that has kept my skin clear, I can even go a few day without using it and not worrying about breaking out. I use this product with the Cetaphil Oily Skin cleanser (which was recommended by my doctor). I will continue to use this product and have recommended it to friends and family who also have fallen in love this this acne clearing miracle.

on 2/10/2015 11:02:00 AM

ATTENTION: this is a must read!
Hey guys so I used to suffer from acne on and off in high school but it comes back every winter and I am 24!
I have tired soooo many products and nothing really worked for me until now.

I went on the Tactu pump on Jan.1 and am now on week 6.

The first month on this was brutal for me. new and old acne and redness.

week 6 is when a miracle happened.

on week 5 I was purging soooo badly. The worst it has ever been and one morning I woke up and all my acne had gone down and all that was left were scars. I am not on week 6 and my face has looked the best it has in two months. Please Please Please stick to this product! I also suggest you MUST MUST MUST go on doxycycline to also calm your face down! You can get a prescription with your doctor. Both using the tactuo and doxycycline will truely save you!

In a nut shell I know how frustrating it is to have acne but you need to eat healthy, get good sleeps, wear No makeup or (Bare minerals acne powder) and Avoid stress! If you are a woman you should consider going on birth control as well!

Good luck

on 2/4/2015 12:22:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

So I've been struggling with awful acne for years and basically as long as I can remember. I woke up one day with a pimple and the war started. I always prefer natural products, and I tried everything. I hated the girls who flipped out when the had one zit while I had zillions. I am a dancer, so I sweat a lot and I stopped wearing hairspray to try to help it. I had awful blackheads and cystic bumps. It was painful and embarrassing. I was so self conscious but I refused to go to the dermatologist because I am stubborn. I tried every expensive product, natural healing remedy, and cheap drugstore. My skin was really oily. I could go on and on. My mom took my sister to the dermatologist and asked me if I wanted to go, but of course I refused because I don't agree with modern medicine most of the time. So, my sister got prescribed on this and I watched her and noticed how clear her skin was getting. She had worse skin than mine, all of a sudden hers was clearing up. it was BEAUTIFUL. I was so jealous of her. So one night, I decided I had enough of my acne and I swore to get rid of it. My mom said I could try the EpiDuo if I wanted, so I did. Gradually, my skin started to get clearer. At first, my skin was super dry, but I changed my face wash to Cetaphil and I got an extremely heavy moisturizer. It has helped so much! I still have blackheads, but they easily come out. I only get a pimple every few weeks, and most of the time it's small and not noticeable. This product has truly changed my skin, it's finally beautiful! It's not oily, it's barely breaks out, and I am confident for ONCE in my life. I couldn't be happier with it. NOTE - DO NOT APPLY AT THE BEACH IF YOU HAVENT BEEN IN A WHILE. MY SKIN CREMATED EVEN WHEN I WORE 100+ SPF. BE CAREFUL AND CAUTIOUS!

on 2/3/2015 1:45:00 AM

Speaking purely from my own experience with Epiduo, I don't have many kind words to write. My acne was never really severe or covered my whole face, it was mild but at my worst it was very bad and my forehead was covered in blister-like pimples at 14 years of age. My doctor first prescribed Duac (which is probably the best product I've used so far) and my forehead pimples were practically gone. However, 30g doesn't last you long, and I had to return to the doctors. As the pimples had targeted my cheeks and tiny dots were reappearing on my forehead, my doctor decided to prescribe a stronger product, Epiduo. I was always very careful when applying, read the instruction manual I was provided with and always cleansed my face and I don't have sensitive skin. However, after applying Epiduo the burning sensation was unbearable. I made the silly mistake of applying a liquid eye makeup remover (literally the tiniest amount) around my eyes and my skins reaction to the chemicals in both products resulted in burning was so bad I was in tears. There were so many times I wanted to avoid putting it on my skin. I continued "treatment" for around two months and there was no sign of improvement whatsoever! My skin was just red, dry, itchy and burned. (Mind you, make-up didn't burn my skin as others have said, nor a cleanser, but moisturiser was excruciating for me). I think I'm better off with Duac or trying a new product.

Popular Treatments (Face)