April 16, 2014 | 940 users online

Treatments - VI Peel

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Jillian8981

DIsaster!

I recieved the VI Peel for Acne. I also have some hyperpigmentation and some very early fine lines on my forehead.

Not only did the peel do NOTHING for my fine lines/hyperpigmentation, it made my skin break out horribly. I usually suffer from very mild acne (in fact, my skin was completely clear when I got the chemical peel) and afterward I had an entire face (and NECK) of acne.

Getting the peel was easy, however. It burns for only a minute and then the skin fully peeled off within a few days as promised. However, I basically paid $300 to look really terrible for a few weeks and get additional acne scarring and there has been NO IMPROVEMENT in my skin whatsoever.

Really disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Beverlyjignson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I loooooove the VI Peel! My skin looks amazing. I now do it myself(so easy) and buy it online at this link opensky.com/member/doctorofskin

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ny1916

Got the vi peel last week -- planned it over the Thanksgiving break. Had the peel applied Wednesday afternoon, went to Thanksgiving dinner Thursday with a bit of a bronzed look and skin was a little tight but not too uncomfortable, then started peeling Friday through Monday. I would say the worst peeling was Saturday and Sunday, but by Monday was looking much better.

Overall I am so glad I did the peel. I am half asian half spanish and am a 3 on the Fitzpatrick scale so have sensitive, naturally tannish skin, and was extremely nervous it would further aggravate the hyper-pigmentation and orange-peel texture from a botched laser debaucle six months ago. The esthetician assured me it'd be fine for my skin, and she was right. After the peel the texture of my skin seems to be going back to what it had been before the laser, and the hyperpigmentation has gotten better (my face and neck still dont match but instead of being 5-6 shades darker than my neck, it's more like 2-3 darker now which is progress).

Before this I should mention that I tried a number of things to reverse the laser damage: obagi nu derm, vitamin C masks, retin-A, psoria gold, facials, scrubs, nothing to let skin heal - but nothing really worked. My skin still looked like it had a permanent windburn with goggles, and the actual skin turned darker, dull, and dead-looking like a tan rubber eraser at the end of pencil. My original skin texture had always been smooth, but after this Fraxel episode it had taken on an orange peel/golf ball texture with visibly rough surface -- so bizarre and distressing! And no matter what topical stuff I put on, it didn't seem to help; i think the top layers of my skin were literally dead and wouldn't absorb anything since it was essentially one large dark-ish scab stretched across my face. Really, really terrible.

Anyway, and obviously, I've been nervous ever since to do anything else remotely invasive, but the esthecian was great and told me it's safe for my skin type, and that it's even ok to do once every four weeks (which seems aggressive bc it does take off a few layers of skin), but I'm definitely going to do it again in 3 months to continue to try to reverse the orange peel texture, enlarged pores, and hyperpigmentation damage of the fraxel. The acne scars I had are still there too and look pretty much the same, but that wasn't my goal anyway -- I was trying to improve the texture, which it really did. Can't wait to do the next one!

I got a pretty good deal but normally the peel at the medi spa costs $350. I would pay that now knowing how much it helped the texture of my skin.

Hope it helps and good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Nhensel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My first peel was a VI. I loved the results. I since have tried all of the Skin Medica peels. Even with the strongest peel Skin Medica offered I never got as good of results that I did with the VI. It was fast, not too expensive and the results are pretty good.
Pros.....results, down time
Cons.....you feel a bit yucky the first day. I got a mild headache

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by susiew

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Had the Vi Peel three weeks ago and it is entirely worth it. My skin was looking gross and like the top needed to go, and I figured it was time for a peel. There is downtime with this peel--I looked icky for about 5 days, but I LOVE THE RESULT. My skin has better texture and fewer brown spots. I definitely look younger. Additionally, I love the moisturizer that comes with the peel. My skin breaks out with virtually everything and it does not break out at all with this stuff.

I read the review below about looking like a burn victim--I won't say that I looked that bad, but I was red and very itchy. I had a peel a long time ago and I actually did look like a burn victim and I was afraid, but I have to say that was the best peel that I ever had. Anyways, this one was very good too.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by sexyhaze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

On Monday February 11, 2013 I called a local Medi-Spa to inquire about the Vi Peel. I am of Caribbean decent and have what would be considered African-American skin. I suffered from hyperpigmentation for many years due to acne scarring. The Doctor invited me in for a consultation and ended up performing an intense pore extraction, which was then followed with the Vi Peel.

My understanding of the Vi Peel was that the only discomfort to be expected was when the solution was applied and to expect plenty of peeling/shedding. I was upsold the Obagi deep cleanser and given the Vi Peel spf 55 and post peel protectant. There was no instruction on how to apply the cleanser, or if I should use it at all during the peeling process.

I went to work that evening, covering the solution, as instructed by the Doctor, with makeup so as to not scare my clients. The solution was left of my face from 1:00pm to roughly 10:00pm, which was in line with the recommended 4 or more hours.

On Day 2 my skin started to look leathery as it should since the old skin will be shed in a few days. I did not wash my face that morning and applied the Post Peel Protectant as well as some of the Sun Protectant to keep my skin somewhat moisturized. That evening I showered as usual and gently washed my face with the Obagi cleanser, I didn't want the skin to peel prematurely so I washed it just enough to not feel the Sun Protectant anymore before bed. I patted my skin dry and used the included towelette, which burned and caused my face to itch.

On Day 3 my skin really started to crack and shed in some places. I did not wash my face that morning either and applied the Post Peel Protectant, which burned and caused my face to itch instead of sooth it as stated in the packet. That evening I trimmed some of the hanging skin with sterile scissors. I also showered and used the Obagi cleanser, this time ALL the loose skin came off, which was strange to me since I had read that major shedding was to happen Day 4, 5, and 6. When I stepped out the shower, to my dismay there were areas of my skin that looked raw and pinkish like chemical burns. Most of what I read about the Vi Peel online said that chemical burns were virtually impossible with this peel.

This is where my experience turned hellish. My skin burned and itched the entire night, I was up for more than 24 hours straight. I tried the Post Peel Protectant, that burned. I tried the Sun Protectant, that burned. I rinsed my face off and tried Vaseline, that helped for 5 minutes and my skin went back to feeling like fire ants were biting my entire body. I rinsed that off and left my face with whatever residue I couldn't get, I fell asleep at 7am only to wake back up at 11am.

Day 4 I pulled on some clothes and headed straight over to the Medi-Spa. I was scorned for "forcing the skin" and washing my face. The instructions on the included pamphlet said:

" Day 3. On day three follow the instructions given by your provider. The included VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (moisturizer) and VI Derm SPF 55 may be used as often as desired. Apply a light layer of the VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (Moisturizer) at least twice a day. It is also very important to use the VI Derm SPF 55 liberally once skin begins to peel. You will begin to peel on the third day. The peeling is accurately described as a sloughing off of the skin. When washing treated areas morning and night, old skin will slough off. WASH AND PAT DRY. Do not scrub or pull at the skin. Use the VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (Moisturizer) as often as necessary for comfort or to hide any sloughing of the skin. Refrain from picking at the skin so redness, irritation and hyperpigmentation do not occur."

When I complained about the burning and itching I was told to lather my face with Neosporin for the rest of the day and the day after. This advice was given after I decided to just show up to the office since the receptionist told me she'd call me back and never did. I also called about an hour ago to report the incessant itching and my call wasn't answered.

This is still Day 4 and my disappointment with the conflicting information in the pamphlet and the directions of the Doctor along with the INTENSE discomfort I'm experiencing right now as I write this is what led to a 3 star rating.

The Vi Peel should not be advertised as a milder peel. The Doctors should be more involved and available for questions/progress.

I would've been open to the another peel if there was a more immediate solution to the itching/discomfort.

Will post back in a week or so to report results.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Happygirll321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I Love the VI Peel!!!!!! It changed my skin and worked wonders for malasma,breaking out, smaller pores and my texture is amazing. You can't get it on ebay but I bought mine at this link on ioofer and do them my self. It's super easy and safe and comes with instructions . Here's the link to buy it. if it does go through just type it vi peel on ioffer. It's just $149.99 and you can buy it through paypal.com

http://www.ioffer.com/i/vi-peel-kit-aut ... -by-doctor)-ships-free-fast-524517476

rated 1 of 5 on 1/22/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by MilitaryMom

I think I've only written one review on any product in my life. After the nightmare of my VI Peel, I thought it necessary to warn women about this peel. I tan easily, but my skin can be sensitive to face products. I decided to try to VI Peel after consulting with a plastic surgeon. He said it was virtually painless and little down time....couldn't be farther from the truth!

During the application, my face was burning. The doc assured me it would subside momentarily. My face felt like it was on fire for 2 hours! I don't know if it stopped burning on its own or if the combination of motrin and benadryl did the trick. I looked like I had spent hours burning in a tanning bed. My face was orange/brown/red. My daughter's teacher thought I had pink eye because my eye area was so red. There was no hiding that I had something done. I was scared to touch my face with the after products.

Day 2--I woke up with eyes so swollen that it looked like someone punched me. I called the doc and he called in a prescription for oral steroids--6 days worth to control the swelling. I looked worse Day 2 than Day 1--thankfully, I could work from home because I looked scary.

Day 3--my face started peeling, but the redness never subsided. My eye area looked bad through day--well, still today! It's Day 8!! My skin was super tight and wrinkly looking. I know know what I will look like at age 60! I wore my hair down and glasses trying to cover my face. I would dream of putting makeup on it. Once the peeling started, I was careful not to touch the peeling skin so I didn't do any further damage to my face. What was underneath stung and was raw. The lotions made it worse...even Aquaphor.

Day 4 to Day 7 was the worst of the peeling. My skin was crispy brown/reddish--really gross. My 5 year old check on me every morning to see if I was okay. My teenager tried not to say anything so he didn't hurt my feelings. I felt like a total idiot for trying a cosmetic procedure. On Day 7, I had a second peel start around my eyes, nose, mouth--different than the first--deeper--almost looked like my face cracked. The only thing that seems to help is the Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream.

Day 8--still too afraid to put makeup on, but at least I can get my contacts back in! I'm hoping in the next few days my face will be healed enough to put makeup back on.

Bottomline--if you have even the slightest problem with sensitive skin, don't do this. I'd like to say my face looks better than before, but I can't tell yet. If you get this treatment and it feels like it is burning (should only feel a slight tingling--like Sea Breeze), wash it off right away. I think the burning sensation was my skin actually getting a deeper burn.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/14/2012 6:42:00 PM More reviews by pocky

I had my first Vi Peel four months ago. My skin now looks pretty much the way it did before I had my peel so I can't say it was worth the $400 I paid. My experience with the Vi Peel was also a little traumatic so I doubt I'll ever do it again, especially for $400.

I got the peel done at my dermatologist's office. I was told I could go back to work the next day (Thursday) so I didn't plan to take any time off. I have also never had a peel of any kind before so I didn't know what to expect and took my doctor's staff at their word that I wouldn't need any time off work. On Thursday, I woke up with my face mottled deep red like I had measles. I could not go to work looking like that so there's one day off work. My skin started peeling off right on cue on Saturday and had mostly peeled off by Sunday but my skin was so red, raw-looking, and painful that I could not go back to work until Tuesday. That's another day off work for a total of three days for a stupid skin peel.

My skin was red, raw, and itchy for an entire week. During that time, I could not wear any makeup (it just looked terrible but it didn't hurt) and could not even wear sunscreen. I had to walk around with a big umbrella the few times when I went outside. Once I started to finally heal, I could tell that my skin was a lot smoother and silkier than before. People told me my skin had a glow to it but I never saw that myself. Unfortunately, I also had some mysterious hyperpigmentation that my dermatologist couldn't explain and my skintone stayed "tanned" for a good three months. I was not happy about that since I didn't get the Vi Peel to look tanned, but my doctor gave me a bleaching cream and the hyperpigmentation eventually faded.

I don't regret having the Vi Peel since my skin has now fully recovered but I don't think it's worth the money and I will not be doing it again. My skin is not perfect but I don't really have any skin issues other than a little rosacea and an ocassional breakout so perhaps the Vi Peel is best for older skin that needs more revitalization or younger women with significant acne scarring and hyperpigmentation. Also, although the Vi Peel requires significantly less down time than a traditional chemical peel, keep in mind that you might need more down time than you are told. I did my major peeling for two days, but my face was absolutely not presentable for considerably longer than I was told and I also had some secondary peeling for about a week after most of my skin had peeled. At my follow-up appointment one month after my peel, my dermatologist told me one of her patients with very sensitive skin peeled for 10 days.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2012 5:19:00 PM More reviews by horchata

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have struggled with acne for years, and this resulted in a lot of dark spots, mostly on my cheeks. But also on my chin and on my forehead. Before trying the Vi Peel I had tried home treatments, perscripted creams from a dermatologist, several expensive chemical peels at saloons. Nothing worked. I was patient but it didn't help and I felt like I spent money on empty promises. Then I went to yet another dermatologist and wanted to do a laser treatment on my scars..practically my whole face. I was ready to do something drastic and was prepared to pay. Just as long as I would get rid of it for good. But since I have dark skin this would be risky and she recommended the Vi Peel. And I do not regret it at all. Yes, it was pricey and yes, the first night it was burning like nothing I have never felt before. I was literally sticking my head into the freezer and taking deep breaths to cope with it. After a couple of days I started to peel and I couldn't leave my house for a week. They told me three days would be enough to stay at home. But I had done my research and was prepared for a week of peeling of dead skin. Although, despite the price and pain and the amount of patience it was worth it. My skin was new, my scars were reduced and I was amazed. Everyone around me, both people who did know and didn't know about the treatment, commented on my skin having changed into the better. I was overall extremely happy with this treatment. Be sure to do it at a proper clinic, pay more rather than pay less and risk being disappointed. I did it a year ago and will do it once more this year, just to get rid of it all even more. If you feel like theres no way out and that you have tried it all, and that you don't want to wait anymore for your scars to fade. I'd say, do it. And you can get the Vi Derm products cheaper online than what they sell them for at the clinics!