August 22, 2014 | 1708 users online

Treatments (Face) - VI Peel

rated 5 of 5 on 8/21/2014 2:31:00 PM More reviews by mybeautycravings

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I'd done 3 times of the regular VI peel last year. This year, I moved on to the VI Precision Peel, which is 25% stronger. Do note that VI Precision is NOT the same as VI Precision Plus.

I'm documenting down my fifth peel, with before and after photos. I hope this can help give you an idea on what to expect and help you understand the timeline of events so that you can plan your days better.

Check out my day-by-day account of VI Precision Peel at http://tinyurl.com/nd63lkk. Do feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by comet1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the regular VI peel. I have not had the precision plus VI peel (much stronger) or the VI peel for acne (also stronger). The stronger peels would be too much for my sensitive skin. I believe the stronger peels may have been used in some of the poor reviews on this site, but I cannot be sure. If you have sensitive skin, opt for the original VI peel, you won't be disappointed!!

I had this peel for the first time in May at a board certified plastic surgeons office, by a talented licensed esthetician over the long Memorial day weekend. I had it done on a Friday afternoon, and was back to work on Tuesday. I had this done as I have been struggling with adult acne and wanted better skin tone and clarity. I love this peel, It really helped to clear my skin, took care of some dark spots, and made my pores appear smaller.
The skin starts to really peel on days 3-4 and is mostly done on day 5. I had some itching/ burning, but using the creams that come in the post peel packet really helps. I also took some ibuprofen to help any inflammation that may come up. I went back to my regular skin care regimen 10 days post peel, including skinceuticals and some IS clinical products.

I am on day 3 of my second peel right now, done at the same office. This time I had it done on a Tuesday afternoon, and worked on Wednesday (no peeling on day 2 really). I have off and do not return to work until Monday.

This time, I had a bit more of a prickly itchiness on the first and second nights. Benadryl and the cream that came in the packet really helped with this.

DO NOT PICK or rub the peeling skin at all! Hands off of your face! When you wash it, use clean hands, gentle cleanser, and pat dry. Do not use any of your normal facial products for 10 days post peel. Sunscreen all the time during the day, even if you will not be outside much. I plan to do a total of 4 of these peels this year, and then do 2 next year. I have some acne scars I am working to get rid of. The first peel really diminished them nicely, faded some sun/ age spots, made my pores smaller, and cleared up the acne I had.

I have sensitive skin, very light, and some freckles. I have not had any issues with this peel, other than the bit of itching and burning that should be somewhat expected. Once again, I am so happy to have the opportunity to do this!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 5:55:00 PM More reviews by helpful

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this peel so much I can't even tell you. My skin looks amazing in every way thanks to it. I get compliments everyday.
I bought it (after getting it done once and seeing how simple and easy it is) at www.agingagelessly.com
It was half the cost and so easy (comes with directions). It was great to be able to do it on myself at my home on my schedule and they are super fast answering any emails if you have any questions

rated 2 of 5 on 4/1/2014 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Jillian8981

DIsaster!

I recieved the VI Peel for Acne. I also have some hyperpigmentation and some very early fine lines on my forehead.

Not only did the peel do NOTHING for my fine lines/hyperpigmentation, it made my skin break out horribly. I usually suffer from very mild acne (in fact, my skin was completely clear when I got the chemical peel) and afterward I had an entire face (and NECK) of acne.

Getting the peel was easy, however. It burns for only a minute and then the skin fully peeled off within a few days as promised. However, I basically paid $300 to look really terrible for a few weeks and get additional acne scarring and there has been NO IMPROVEMENT in my skin whatsoever.

Really disappointed.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Beverlyjignson

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I loooooove the VI Peel! My skin looks amazing. I now do it myself(so easy) and buy it online at this link opensky.com/member/doctorofskin

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by ny1916

Got the vi peel last week -- planned it over the Thanksgiving break. Had the peel applied Wednesday afternoon, went to Thanksgiving dinner Thursday with a bit of a bronzed look and skin was a little tight but not too uncomfortable, then started peeling Friday through Monday. I would say the worst peeling was Saturday and Sunday, but by Monday was looking much better.

Overall I am so glad I did the peel. I am half asian half spanish and am a 3 on the Fitzpatrick scale so have sensitive, naturally tannish skin, and was extremely nervous it would further aggravate the hyper-pigmentation and orange-peel texture from a botched laser debaucle six months ago. The esthetician assured me it'd be fine for my skin, and she was right. After the peel the texture of my skin seems to be going back to what it had been before the laser, and the hyperpigmentation has gotten better (my face and neck still dont match but instead of being 5-6 shades darker than my neck, it's more like 2-3 darker now which is progress).

Before this I should mention that I tried a number of things to reverse the laser damage: obagi nu derm, vitamin C masks, retin-A, psoria gold, facials, scrubs, nothing to let skin heal - but nothing really worked. My skin still looked like it had a permanent windburn with goggles, and the actual skin turned darker, dull, and dead-looking like a tan rubber eraser at the end of pencil. My original skin texture had always been smooth, but after this Fraxel episode it had taken on an orange peel/golf ball texture with visibly rough surface -- so bizarre and distressing! And no matter what topical stuff I put on, it didn't seem to help; i think the top layers of my skin were literally dead and wouldn't absorb anything since it was essentially one large dark-ish scab stretched across my face. Really, really terrible.

Anyway, and obviously, I've been nervous ever since to do anything else remotely invasive, but the esthecian was great and told me it's safe for my skin type, and that it's even ok to do once every four weeks (which seems aggressive bc it does take off a few layers of skin), but I'm definitely going to do it again in 3 months to continue to try to reverse the orange peel texture, enlarged pores, and hyperpigmentation damage of the fraxel. The acne scars I had are still there too and look pretty much the same, but that wasn't my goal anyway -- I was trying to improve the texture, which it really did. Can't wait to do the next one!

I got a pretty good deal but normally the peel at the medi spa costs $350. I would pay that now knowing how much it helped the texture of my skin.

Hope it helps and good luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2013 1:43:00 PM More reviews by Nhensel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

My first peel was a VI. I loved the results. I since have tried all of the Skin Medica peels. Even with the strongest peel Skin Medica offered I never got as good of results that I did with the VI. It was fast, not too expensive and the results are pretty good.
Pros.....results, down time
Cons.....you feel a bit yucky the first day. I got a mild headache

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 12:00:00 PM More reviews by susiew

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Had the Vi Peel three weeks ago and it is entirely worth it. My skin was looking gross and like the top needed to go, and I figured it was time for a peel. There is downtime with this peel--I looked icky for about 5 days, but I LOVE THE RESULT. My skin has better texture and fewer brown spots. I definitely look younger. Additionally, I love the moisturizer that comes with the peel. My skin breaks out with virtually everything and it does not break out at all with this stuff.

I read the review below about looking like a burn victim--I won't say that I looked that bad, but I was red and very itchy. I had a peel a long time ago and I actually did look like a burn victim and I was afraid, but I have to say that was the best peel that I ever had. Anyways, this one was very good too.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/14/2013 5:43:00 PM More reviews by sexyhaze

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

On Monday February 11, 2013 I called a local Medi-Spa to inquire about the Vi Peel. I am of Caribbean decent and have what would be considered African-American skin. I suffered from hyperpigmentation for many years due to acne scarring. The Doctor invited me in for a consultation and ended up performing an intense pore extraction, which was then followed with the Vi Peel.

My understanding of the Vi Peel was that the only discomfort to be expected was when the solution was applied and to expect plenty of peeling/shedding. I was upsold the Obagi deep cleanser and given the Vi Peel spf 55 and post peel protectant. There was no instruction on how to apply the cleanser, or if I should use it at all during the peeling process.

I went to work that evening, covering the solution, as instructed by the Doctor, with makeup so as to not scare my clients. The solution was left of my face from 1:00pm to roughly 10:00pm, which was in line with the recommended 4 or more hours.

On Day 2 my skin started to look leathery as it should since the old skin will be shed in a few days. I did not wash my face that morning and applied the Post Peel Protectant as well as some of the Sun Protectant to keep my skin somewhat moisturized. That evening I showered as usual and gently washed my face with the Obagi cleanser, I didn't want the skin to peel prematurely so I washed it just enough to not feel the Sun Protectant anymore before bed. I patted my skin dry and used the included towelette, which burned and caused my face to itch.

On Day 3 my skin really started to crack and shed in some places. I did not wash my face that morning either and applied the Post Peel Protectant, which burned and caused my face to itch instead of sooth it as stated in the packet. That evening I trimmed some of the hanging skin with sterile scissors. I also showered and used the Obagi cleanser, this time ALL the loose skin came off, which was strange to me since I had read that major shedding was to happen Day 4, 5, and 6. When I stepped out the shower, to my dismay there were areas of my skin that looked raw and pinkish like chemical burns. Most of what I read about the Vi Peel online said that chemical burns were virtually impossible with this peel.

This is where my experience turned hellish. My skin burned and itched the entire night, I was up for more than 24 hours straight. I tried the Post Peel Protectant, that burned. I tried the Sun Protectant, that burned. I rinsed my face off and tried Vaseline, that helped for 5 minutes and my skin went back to feeling like fire ants were biting my entire body. I rinsed that off and left my face with whatever residue I couldn't get, I fell asleep at 7am only to wake back up at 11am.

Day 4 I pulled on some clothes and headed straight over to the Medi-Spa. I was scorned for "forcing the skin" and washing my face. The instructions on the included pamphlet said:

" Day 3. On day three follow the instructions given by your provider. The included VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (moisturizer) and VI Derm SPF 55 may be used as often as desired. Apply a light layer of the VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (Moisturizer) at least twice a day. It is also very important to use the VI Derm SPF 55 liberally once skin begins to peel. You will begin to peel on the third day. The peeling is accurately described as a sloughing off of the skin. When washing treated areas morning and night, old skin will slough off. WASH AND PAT DRY. Do not scrub or pull at the skin. Use the VI Derm Post Peel Protectant (Moisturizer) as often as necessary for comfort or to hide any sloughing of the skin. Refrain from picking at the skin so redness, irritation and hyperpigmentation do not occur."

When I complained about the burning and itching I was told to lather my face with Neosporin for the rest of the day and the day after. This advice was given after I decided to just show up to the office since the receptionist told me she'd call me back and never did. I also called about an hour ago to report the incessant itching and my call wasn't answered.

This is still Day 4 and my disappointment with the conflicting information in the pamphlet and the directions of the Doctor along with the INTENSE discomfort I'm experiencing right now as I write this is what led to a 3 star rating.

The Vi Peel should not be advertised as a milder peel. The Doctors should be more involved and available for questions/progress.

I would've been open to the another peel if there was a more immediate solution to the itching/discomfort.

Will post back in a week or so to report results.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2013 9:46:00 PM More reviews by Happygirll321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I Love the VI Peel!!!!!! It changed my skin and worked wonders for malasma,breaking out, smaller pores and my texture is amazing. You can't get it on ebay but I bought mine at this link on ioofer and do them my self. It's super easy and safe and comes with instructions . Here's the link to buy it. if it does go through just type it vi peel on ioffer. It's just $149.99 and you can buy it through paypal.com

http://www.ioffer.com/i/vi-peel-kit-aut ... -by-doctor)-ships-free-fast-524517476