September 18, 2014 | 1342 users online

Lipstick - Yves Saint Laurent - Rouge Volupte - Red Muse #17

rated 4 of 5 on 1/12/2014 4:36:00 AM More reviews by RedLipsBlackHair

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Red Muse is just lovely. Bright like I like and smells so good. Formula is very creamy and glides very easily. I do have to blot it down quite a bit, which is why I gave it a 4. I like mattes more but I had to have Red Muse, I just had to. What a gorgeous tube, also.
If you love creamy formulas and are on the lookout for a red that isn't drying, this is it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 2:23:00 AM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love to wear red lipstick, it's my favorite color to wear, and I am always buying new ones to have in my red collection. I usually prefer my reds to be satin or matte, but I thought I'd try something new. On the Sephora website it says Red Muse #17 is a "bright orange red". Honestly I didn't know that's what it was when I got it, it looks blue based to me. I stay away from orange based reds, because they tend to make my teeth appear yellow. It kind of reminds me of MAC Red by Mac, only creamier. Either way, its a really flattering shade of red. They are really creamy and moisturizing, pigmented, glide on with no tugging, and have a subtle fruity scent. The packaging is beautiful, it's gold with the color you are buying (red) wrapped around the middle of the tube. It's one of the heavier lipsticks I have but it's not a problem at all. Since it's so creamy, you need to pair it with a lip liner, or you'll get some feathering. I use MAC's Cherry lip pencil, or MUFE's lip line perfector. I prefer my MAC lipsticks because this is a little too creamy for me, but it's still a pretty good lipstick.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by imperiale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This lipstick is absolutely gorgeous - definitely a new favourite.

I'm a massive fan of MAC lipsticks so I was a bit hesitant to stray from my preferred brand, but I was so tempted by this lipstick for slightly less on Ebay that I decided to give it a try...

The colour is wonderful, it's highly pigmented and gorgeous warm red, slightly dark on my pale skin, but an absolutely beautiful colour.
I applied this as I normally apply lipstick: moisturised lips, a little bit of concealer/foundation blended over the edges of my mouth, lipliner to outline and fill the lips in, and then lipstick on top. I found this lipstick extremely moisturising - it just glided on like a dream, and my lips felt lovely - not slick or sticky, but definitely not dry.

I will say that the staying power of this lipstick wasn't as impressive as my MAC's, hence the slightly lower rating: there was a LOT of transfer onto glasses, people (lol), etc. which I just don't get anywhere near as much when I use MAC lipstick. Although it must be said that it lasted reasonably well on the lips (with a liner underneath), and I had no problems with feathering or bleeding. Price was fine, but that's because I bought it less on Ebay. Even though I prefer my MACs, I think I will re-purchase or retry YSL lipsticks - what this lipstick lacks in ultimate staying power, it makes up in high pigment and GORGEOUS packaging. You'll definitely have to re-apply more often, but when you whip out this gorgeous lipstick, do you really mind? ;)

Next on my YSL to try list is the Rouge Volupte Sheer Candy, so I'll see how I get on with that.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by sullyPDX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

(017) Red Muse, is the perfect warm red I've ever seen. My first lipstick in this line was Lingerie Pink, and I recently moved on to bolder shades like this. This red was everything I was seeking and more. I'm a redhead with fair skin, and it looks fantastic on me. I haven't had any issues with feathering, and I apply it over my regular lip balm. I would recommend using lip scrubs for people who are having issues with feathering, as it's a sign of aging. I personally use fresh Lip Polish, which works great. I also alternate my lip balms between La Mer and ByTerry. I think that it's important to go all out if you're going to plunk down the money for lipstick like this to use proper skincare products in conjunction.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2013 5:26:00 PM More reviews by meadowsbr

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Beautiful shade, poor quality. When spending $34 on lipstick, I expect it to stay on my lips. No amount of fancy footwork could keep this product on my lips and off of my face. I experienced the bleeding of a 60 year old smoker. I wasn't even aware I had fine lines around my lips until I wore this lipstick. If feels amazing going on and the color is sensational on my NW20 skin, but unfortunately it had to go back to Sephora. My Maybelline Very Cherry is just as beautiful and a much better buy. Save your money and go to CVS.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/3/2012 3:37:00 AM More reviews by sinkin2heart

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I received this as a gift a couple of years ago and can honestly say I've used it only twice. This particular lipstick is a blue-based red that I'm not a fan of. I happen to own other red lipsticks, most of which lean neutral to warm and work wonderfully with my skin tone, so this is one of the few that I can't ever get to look right on me.

My other problem is the formula. It's so creamy, that it bleeds easily, unless I use a lip liner, which is a no-no since I have red lipsticks that are much less high maintenance and cost 1/3 of the price of this lipstick.

Also, I have an almost-exact color dupe: Rimmel Lasting Finish Lipstick in Temptation. The differences being, of course, formulation, texture and a shimmery (but hardly noticeable) finish.

As for the packaging, it's lovely. It's a sturdy, somewhat heavy lipstick case I can't help but admire. Too bad I can't say the same for the actual product :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2012 12:39:00 AM More reviews by singwritenow

This luxurious lipstick has a soft, velvety texture and glides on like pure silk. Red Muse is a vibrant red orange that I think would be universally flattering on all skin types. Expensive but worth it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/18/2012 3:38:00 AM More reviews by mariannepilgaard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This formula is to die for! It is extremely comfortable on your lips, glide on so smoothly and is so heavily pigmented that the tiniest amount goes a long, long way. # 17 Red Muse is a bright medium red that looks neutral towards warm in the tube. On my lips it applies slightly cooler. Perfect for a sophisticated look where you want either the lips to be the focal point or if you want full on drama for the evening. After I found this formula I have bought more lipsticks from the range and I am equally pleased.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/17/2011 6:12:00 PM More reviews by russetandvermilion

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is one of my HG lipsticks. It is a fab orange/red and a little goes a LONG way! I love the silky texture of this lipstick. It makes me feel like an old-hollywood star. This lipstick color reminds me of a red velvet cake--super pretty. Everyone should have a good lipstick like this one in their collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 8:11:00 PM More reviews by sofatron

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

On the rare occasion that I wear bright red lipstick, this is it. It glides on sooooooo smoothly and feels so luxurious against my lips, like it's nourishing them. After lining my lips with a matching red pencil and putting this on, it doesn't flake,dry, smear or run off anywhere. Pricey, but I guess you get what you pay for :)