October 25, 2014 | 918 users online

Polishes - China Glaze - Nova

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/5/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Major bling! This is a dense, fine, silver-prismatic glitter in a clear base. First coat is patchy, and you really need to apply this with a stroke-and-dab method (small strokes, plus dabbing the polish in specific places), but I achieved complete opacity with two coats, much to my surprise, and the surface is surprisingly smooth for a glitter polish.

In the light, especially sunlight or an environment with multiple pin lights, this polish is super dazzling. There really aren't a lot of occasions that many people would be able to wear this other than special occasions and for speciality manicures, unless, like me, you're free to wear any nail polish you want (no work restrictions or similar) and you're a fan of ultra blingy bling glitter on your nails.

This is a really nice polish for doing glitter gradients over another colour base, because the application is good and the glitter really stands up for itself. It's utterly gorgeous as a French-style gradient over black.

Removal is pretty much what you'd expect for an opaque glitter. It's a pain in the neck.

Personally, I love this, and I recommend it to any fellow glitter lovers who want prismatic silvery disco ball blingy bling dazzling nails for any occasion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Parisa909

I was looking for a mega sparkly, glittery silver holographic nail polish and bought Nova based on the reviews. Layered over a silver base, it is just phenomenal! 2-3 coats make it opaque and it has insane holographic sparkle! When it catches the light, the effect is so beautiful. Definitely the best silver holographic glitter polish I've ever bought! I also own it's gold counterpart, Medallion, which is equally as pretty!

UK people - Barry M 'Diamond' is incredibly similar to Nova except it has larger glitter particles, and needs more coats for opacity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2013 4:59:00 PM More reviews by SaraCee07

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I wanted a glittery sparkly silver polish for my collection, and this one is fantastic! 3 coats and it's opaque. I love the tiny holographic glitters in it, makes it look more 'disco ball' and shiny. Total nightmare to remove but I find that with most glitter polishes.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2011 4:29:00 AM More reviews by juliejoy

I love this holographic glitter. If your into chunky glitter then this one is for you. You can wear it alone (3 coats seems to be the trick). Personally, I like this one over nail polish's. It is very hard to get off. Sometimes I find the glitter particles scratch my nails. On a whole the holographic glitter makes it very unique and every glitter loving nail polish junkie should own it

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2010 7:28:00 PM More reviews by oosagi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm a big fan of all things sparkly, shiny, glittery, and bright, so this polish called out to me at the beauty store. It's a silver glitter with uniform medium sized hexagon shaped particles in a clear base. The glitter reflects all colors of the rainbow, and is uber sparkly in the bottle. On the nail, this was somewhat less impressive. It left a chunky feeling finish (which can be helped by a couple thick layers of top coat), and was sparkly but not quite as disco-ball as I was anticipating. It required many coats and some fiddling over bald patches to reach opacity. Also, this is by far the hardest polish to remove I've ever used. It makes me think twice about using it for a mani, for sure. When I'm in the mood for silver sparkle, I tend to fall back on an easier to remove, and smoother feeling true holo polish. I'm still giving it a four though, because, hey, sparkly.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2010 3:01:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Gushing GORGEOUS!
I have this but haven't worn it yet, so my review isn't complete. In the bottle it's stunning chunky silver & holographic glitter nailpolish in a clear base, but it's so densely packed with glitter you can't even see any base. The gold version of this is called Medallion, which I'm wearing on my toes & is absolutely spectacular. I wish it was summer right now so I could wear sandals. These glitters sparkle sparkle sparkle. I love glitter nailpolishes & the more they sparkle the more I love them. This one & its gold companion are tops!

One day later....
I just put 3 coats of this polish on top of my pre-existing manicure (only the faintest bit of mint shows through from the polish underneath) & my hands are instantly bling city! I can't even describe what this looks like but the sparkle is unbelievable & I absolutely love this.
It's crazy fun & sure to draw a lot of compliments. DARING & BOLD.
Would buy this & Medallion (gold) over & over again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2010 2:11:00 PM More reviews by ashmoe22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I bought this on sale at Sallys. I couldn't resist the glitter and ran straight home and put it on. You need several coats of it to make it show up evenly, but it does look gorgeous! I found that putting it on top of a silver polish helps it stand out and you don't need to put as many coats on.
Yesterday I took it off and it was very hard to remove, even using professional nail polish remover. I did get it all off though. If you want glittery, shiny nails, this is definitely the color to go for. It's so sparkly!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2009 9:27:00 PM More reviews by anooshka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'll start off by saying that I am not a fan of glitter polishes. But this one is crazy beautiful. I ended up wearing one coat of poshe basecoat, 4 coats of this and two coats of Seche Vite top coat. Obviously it ended up being thick. And yes, it's still chunky. But your nails will look like they're covered by sequins and they'll glitter like a disco ball. I got at least 10 compliments from strangers in the three days I wore this. Application was a little tricky. And I ended up peeling the entire thing off today- I think removing by acetone would have actually been more difficult. I'm now left with a few glitters on each nail which I'll remove with acetone. I'm trying Medallion next. I love this. It's gorgeous and I can't really complain about much.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2009 11:42:00 PM More reviews by lilaznm0nkey

I saw this at my sallys and I just had to get it. I mean, ITS SO SHINY AND SPARKLY. (ok that sounded very lame) It really is a unique polish. Theres a bunch of holo hexa glitters and the smaller finer glitters in this.

My problem with this is, I don't own a pure acetone nail polish remover, so taking this off was a pain in the butt. But it was totally worth it

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2009 3:50:00 PM More reviews by hontapocasgreen

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

What a blingy polish! The holo glitter in this is fantastically hypnotizing! If you like glitter and you like holo, then you should like this. That's what I thought initially. While I do believe this to be a unique and gorgeous nail polish, I want to clarify that this is chunky in texture. If you don't like your glitter polish chunky, stay far away from it and it's kin in the Specialty Collection.

I feel kind like I am eating crow while I make this review. I am one of those nailboarders who have boo-hooed & bawled over the fact that U.S. cosmetic companies don't make fun glitter polishes for the U.S. market, and save all the unique creative glitters for Japan and other Asian countries. Well, while Nova & others like it in the Specialty collection are beautiful to look at, they have a learning curve because the consistency of the polish is so thick. The learning curve is this-- you can't expect to really layer this over more than one coat of another color. Also, if worn as a color polish on it's own, I don't recommend more than 2 coats. It starts crack and then chip off in chunks. It's definitely not for anyone who does not have patience because you will need it with not only application but with removal. Some members of the nail board have found different ways to deal with it effectively, but I can't see myself reaching for these very often.

I gave it a 3 because it's pretty and it's bling has it's place in my heart. Again, I don't see myself using this very often so I won't need to buy another one. The wear could be better as far as glitter polishes go. With regards to price, they cost a little more on the online retail sites, but can be found at retail at Sally's for $5.99 (the regular price for China Glaze at Sally's without the discount card).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No