October 25, 2014 | 1610 users online

Lipstick - Kevyn Aucoin - The Rouge Hommage in Gently

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Alright, so not alot of reviews for this product. One, you may ask why is she posting in her review that these are near dirt cheap? Well I bought my first 2 for $6.80 on Sephora when they were clearing out the Kevyn Aucoin line they other three I obtained through a swap with a lovely MUAer. WHY do I love these?? Because they are all nude based, these were created as and "hommage" to the original line of lipsticks Kevyn Aucoin created for the Ultima II line which was as all "nude" based makeup line in the 70's/80's.

These hark back to his beginnings in makeup. I have not found one color in these that I cannot wear (so far). I have Gently, which is a lovely MLBB every day wearable color. I also have Heartbreaker, Dreamin' , and another that reads slightly more coppery on the lips, but I can't recall the name. I love them all, and have not found them to be drying, but not really moisturizing either. However, as the other reviewer stated the real ingenuity is the closure. The magnetic closure is genius and the cap never falls off of these and you still get that little "click" noise that is just ever so slightly satisfying to hear.

Would I recommend you buy these???? No, actually for the $27 price tag you would regularly get them at other websites, I don't think they are worth that much. But if you can swap for them or find them at a discount, as I did I would recommend that you try them out.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/12/2009 12:15:00 AM More reviews by MaryEllen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

The Kevyn Aucoin website has the following description of the Rouge Hommage:

Shimmering, moisture-rich lip color
Ultra hydrating formulation
Sheer, shimmery finish
Nude-based shades add subtle sexiness
Accentuates the shape of the lips

No, no, yes, yes, yes.
Gently is described as a "medium pink color," which is fairly accurate, although I'd describe it as a sheer, slightly warm light-medium pink with gold shimmer. It's a warmer version of LM's Courtisane Stickgloss (which I love), but the comparison ends there. It's a pretty color, but nothing special.
This lipstick is hardly moisture-rich, or moisturizing at all. I need a good lipbalm underneath and a bit of gloss (which it can stand up to) on top for comfortable wear. It is sheer and shimmery and nude-based, and you can reapply it without it looking cakey or overdone. The shimmer, which is very fine, does give the lips a fuller look, although the dryness of the formula can easily negate that.
The coolest thing about this lipstick is the packaging. It's about the size of LM's Stickglosses (a tad smaller than standard), and the tube is the signature dark red KA plastic. So what's cool about that? Nothing. Wait for it ... OK, now! The cool thing is that the closure (it closes like a standard lipstick tube) is magnetic. No click when you cap it, but you can be sure it won't open in your purse. I hope other cosmetic companies pick up on this innovation.
Although this isn't a bad lipstick, it's nothing special, either, especially for $27. I will not repurchase or purchase another shade.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No