October 23, 2014 | 1292 users online

Eye Shadow - NARS - Brousse Duo

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2013 1:46:00 PM More reviews by Jhe9488

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this duo. The pigmentation is very good and they're really easy to blend. There is the perfect amount of subtle shimmer in both shadows. The colors look very dark in the pan, but they're actually very versatile, which I love. If you're feeling a little lazy, you can do your eye look with only these two shadows. With a light hand, you can do a very natural every day look with the brown color all over the lid and the purple color in the crease. However, you can also pack it on and create a beautiful purple-y smokey eye--much easier to wear than a black smokey eye--for a night out.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2013 2:33:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I really like my NARS duo Cordura, so I purchased Brousse as my next foray into the duos. However, I am disappointed. This shadow duo is powdery and I feel like the shadows change color on my lids and do not blend out true to pan. They turn reddish, which looks horrible on my lids : ( I have tried this duo so much, because the colors are so lovely in the pan, but even when paired individually with other shadows, these are blending out unevenly and to a reddish color.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2012 7:56:00 PM More reviews by amaizeingndn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is my fourth of these duos. For me, Nars shadows are just the best for blending and their neutrals are awesome. I love the brown shade in this duo. It's a satin finish slightly cool toned medium brown color and I use it mostly as a liner with a small pencil brush. It provides just enough definition without screaming "EYELINER!!" it's also great all over the lid. The purple is a little too red/plum for me, but I do wear it as a liner. But if you're looking for a good plum color, I would recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2012 2:16:00 AM More reviews by kerriki

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a lovely, quite perfect smokey duo of dark plummy brown and deep coolish brown taupe, rich but not smeary/inky, softly blendable, more of a glowing sheen than shimmer. Flattering for dark girls in various applications at any time, and fair girls at night for a perfect smokey eye that is not harshly black and grey.
I've fooled around for too many years with cosmetics, and Nars is second to none in quality. It makes me feel luxuriously good, the packaging is gorgeous (I hate makeup with those crappy little brushes and things in the compact), and its a little left of centre and irreverent.
If I had to stick to one brand it would be Nars. It has its own tray on my dresser.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by Melis356

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Nice duo. Not as dramatic as I expected, but both are very pretty colors and it's kind of nice to buy a duo where I use both colors equally rather than like a white/black combo. The brown works during the day- sometimes I mix the two during the day since the brown is subtle- and the purple kicks it up a notch for night time.

I used to hate the eyeshadows with no spot for applicator, but now that I carry around a brush set I use this one all the time!

*If you're looking for a fierce smokey eye this isn't the shadow for you- not enough pigment. Try Too Faced.

*Definitely recommend eye base underneath as I hated it without- I use Lancome Aquatique Waterproof Eyecolour base in nude.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2011 8:09:00 PM More reviews by Teddynick

As what the other reviewers said.. I am also NW45 and this makes an amazing smokey eye... so chic!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/6/2011 4:06:00 AM More reviews by buhsayd

The purple in this duo (along with the purple in Charade) is perfect for a smokey purple look on my brown eyes. Yes, it does have fallout (I find dark colors tend to), but tap your brush before applying and it's no big deal. It also has shimmers, which I almost completely ignored it because of this, but when I actually tried it on, the shimmers gave the color depth. You'll see if you try it on at Sephora.

I was debating between the purple in this duo and Stila's Espresso for my outer-V color, and even though Espresso went on very evenly with almost no shimmer, I had to go with Brousse for two reasons. 1. Espresso is a grey-brown but still a brown and I wanted a true taupe-y purple smokey eye. The purple in Brousse is just the grey-purple for this. 2. The shimmers in Espresso were silver, maybe even clear?. Either way, when applied, it was almost matte, and one thing I've learned about dark mattes on dry skin is they just look very flat and like dirt. Not attractive at all. The shimmers in the Brousse purple are multi-colored (not abundant enough to be tacky though) and they warm up the coolness of the grey color without flat-out adding a orange-y tone, which a lot of browns have.

I highly recommend the purples in Charade and Brousse for smokey eyes. I also have the Tokyo duo and only use it for the purple too. (Gosh these shadows are pricey but worth it!)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2011 8:01:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

The brown is absolutely gorgeous, the purple is pretty too but doesn't show up as well as I'd expected. These blend together to a point where I can't really distinguish them from one another, they just sort of look brown/gray. For the price, I really expected these to have lasting power. By the time I finish my commute to work these crease. My MAC shadows last at least until after lunch to start that. I've been disappointed by NARS eyeshadows in the past and this just continues the trend. For the price I expected a lot more. I will be returning this and I would not repurchase it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2011 5:25:00 PM More reviews by HotMommaOfTriplets

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I love this shadow duo! I have gray eyes that can lean more blue, aqua, green and sometimes violet and with this duo they look an awesome gray-violet shade. As of late, this is my HG when it comes to doing the smoky eye look. Love the texture of Nars shadows, I'm completely hooked. This is a beautifully matched brown/purple combination.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2011 3:28:00 PM More reviews by gommiebears

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

My shade in reference is a MAC NW45 - NW50, depending on the season. I purchased this over a year ago and at first glance was dumbfounded on the shade. In the pan, it didn't look impressive at all. Just a muted brown and purple-ish shade. Then yesterday I was preparing for an interview and I wanted a neutral eye but was searching for that perfect brown that wasn't too dark or ashy looking for my "v". The brown shade fit the bill. No fallout, smooth application, and you can gradually build the pigmentation. The brown turns out wasn't that bad shade at all. Since I have a bit of a cool pigmentation, it complemented my skin tone. I highly recommend this for anyone, especially cool undertone people.