Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils in Burgundy (5)

4.4

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I was prepared to be very critical of this mascara (and possibly hate it) due to price, but I am pleasantly surprised. I think this might be a product that actually lives up to its hype. I have decent, but not amazing, lashes. This mascara does a great job of thickly coating lashes without giving that tarantula eyed look, and it does it in just one or two coats. It is also pretty good at lengthening. I noticed that most of the reviews for this product are from blue-eyed people, but I honestly think burgundy is one of those shades that works on anyone's eyes (including mine, which are brown; the burgundy brings out the green tones). The only thing I don't like about this mascara, besides the price tag, is the strong rose fragrance. I will never understand why "prestige" brands insist on putting fragrance in products that go on your eyes! It's an absolutely unnecessary irritant. Otherwise, this mascara is easy to use, long wearing, looks great.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I uploaded a photo to show the 2 coat coverage of this mascara. The burgundy shade is more noticeable under natural light.

This is simply the best mascara there is. And this color is divine. It shows up on the lashes without being garish. It's such a nice complement to my light blue eyes, but I think this would work with any eye color.

This mascara is not cheap but as soon as you apply it, you can see the difference in quality. It applies smoothly but is not too thin. You can build on it without it going clumpy or your lashes sticking together. It's not irritating, it doesn't flake off or transfer during the day.

This is a case where the price and the hype are well-deserved. Highly recommended!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

This is a devine mascara formula, it builds up beautiful lashes. I have this in black as well as the burgundy. I was hoping for the color to be more aparent on my lashes (darker at the base, lighter as the tips). You really can't tell my lashes are burgundy unless in very specific, direct sunlight. Still, my lashes look very defined, just without the "harshness" of black. When paried with a red/plum liner, the color pulls a little more true to tube.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I LOVE this mascara. I've owned Faux Cils in black, brown and now burgundy. This is my favourite of the three colours I've tried - it really brings out the green pigment in my eyes without looking too purple on the lashes. I don't know if this colour is limited but certainly hope not as it's my new holy grail!

I also love the huge fluffy brush but realise it may not be for everyone. Definitely have a look before buying, but keep in mind that the burgundy dries to an almost-black colour. I've had no problems with flaking or drying after a month of use, and so have nothing but good things to day about this product. Even the price seems worth it for the dramatic impact it makes! Looks great paired with Chanel eye pencil in Berry.

This is just my favourite mascara ever, the colour suit my blue eyes so well. Everybody alwais make complimentso on my bourgandy mascara

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Absolutely marvelous mascara for green eyed gals! Its the most I've ever spent on a mascara but its completely worth it. The burgundy effect is not garish in the daytime as its on a black base, but there is enough to really make the colour of your eyes stand out. On me, it doesn't flake nor does it seem to dry out particularly fast. Better than Dark Auburn by Max Factor for daytime.... and night! Heavan in a gold luxe tube... j'adore.
UPDATE: Dropping from 5 to 3 lippies because this dries out too quickly for the price so I won't be buying it again. Shame, because I love this stuff

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I will not comment on the formula of Faux Cils, except to say that it is the best in the universe if you want long, thick,dramatic lashes in two coats. It is simply without par. Burgundy is a plummy brown, and the color is vivid enough for a subtle pop, but it is not garish or over the top. Works well with Clinique Black Honey liner. pops the amber tones in my eyes.

Popular Mascaras