October 25, 2014 | 1840 users online

Mascara - Rimmel - Volume Flash The Max

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 12:01:00 PM More reviews by KatWKSF

For a drugstore mascara, I was pretty impressed with this product. The formula is very thick, which I prefer. You do need to work it into your lashes, so yes, getting the volume takes some work. Surprisingly though, this formula builds length very easily. I have seriously broken, stumpy lame lashes after wearing extensions and falsies for almost 7 years. This formula gives me a great dark color and nice length with a bit of extra volume. I like it almost as much as my Bare Minerals volumizer mascara; that brush is a bit superior to this one. But at least I can buy this formula supercheap at any store, whereas with BE I have to order online and its much more expensive. This formula also removes easily. I definitely recommend using it on lashes that are completely clean, including no residual eye makeup remover or moisturizer. I find that I get better results that way. I would definitely recommend giving this product a try, especially if you are in a bind and can't get ahold of your usual higher end brand.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2013 7:13:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Oh Rimmel The Max, a long time ago I loved you. I loved you more than Lashblast, Bad Gal, even Diorshow. But somewhere along the way I started to stray and fell right into the arms of L'oreal Voluminious who woo'd me with its sophisticated tube, soft-drying formula and maybe just a tad more volume, though I'm not so sure on that. Unfortunately it is a bit heavy and pulls down my curl, and is a pain in the rear to take off--I'm afraid of what all that rubbing has done to my eyelids. Of course, I strayed from Voluminous all the time, and every time I'd give your bright pink tube a look at Target, but I would ultimately decide to try something I'd never tried before.

I decided it was time to return to you to see why I loved you in the first place and here's why:

-Your brush has very stiff bristles that push their way through the lashes with ease, and are in an x-pattern that deposits a lot of product, but at the same time can work it through every lash
-The finish you leave behind is feathery and not overly stiff and waxy (though not as soft as Voluminous or Lorac Pro, but not nearly as stiff as Milani, or Maybelline the Falsies. I say softness is closest to MUFE Smokey Lash)
-In two coats you give great volume and length
-You don't make my lashes stick together and look like I have 8-10 big lashes
-In Extreme Black, you have excellent pigment
-you don't flake
-you hold a curl well and your formula isn't too wet
-you are easy to remove
-you are loaded with conditioning ingredients like vegetable, olive and apricot seed oil, Cotton and silk powders, keratin, collagen, and ceramides
-you cost less than $6

I can't promise to stay faithful forever, but it feels good to have you back on my lashes

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by BethB

While looking for a replacement for MF 2000Calorie, I bought this on sale. The packaging and brush felt very cheap and the performance is a miss. It does add length but no thickening and left me with spider-leg lashes. On to the next candidate!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2013 3:59:00 PM More reviews by Jessica24601

Although I like (not love) this mascara, I will not be re-purchasing. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale so I guess I cannot complain that I wasted $$ as it was only $6.99 @ my local drug store. I was drawn to the volume part (as I've thin lashes). I do NOT find that it added volume @ all. I like the brush, it's black glossy nature. I like it, not love it. It is good / ok but certainly not my HG or even near it. It took about 3 coats (which took a while because it is so wet) to get even just some of the look I required but again, just not all that thickening. In the future I think I should stick with what I know. I do like Rimmel, their glosses are excellent and I do like their "Mascara Wow", but will not re-purchase Volume Flash the Max again.

UPDATE: I threw it out after about 10 days. It simply did nothing for my lashes. If I want a nice day-time, I will use their Rimmel Wow or my HG (now for the day) Super Volume 01 Black via The Body Shop. I think I would have to give it 2 lippies. Sorry, just was not for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2013 5:48:00 PM More reviews by dlittlegarden

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

When I first got this stuff, I was not impressed at all. It's called a volumizing mascara, but as others here have pointed out, it's better at lengthening. I don't like the whole ritual of combing lashes and adding more coats of mascara, so one coat needs to deliver what it promises. this one doesn't. However, it IS good at delivering a glossy, somewhat defined long lash. I think the packaging is cute - love the gold lettering and the hot pink, and the tube is not obnoxiously chubby as some mascara tubes are. The brush leaves much to be desired for me -- I cannot reach my outer lashes with this brush unless I line the brush up perpendicular to my eye and pick them out that way. I have oily lids, and by about 2 pm, I have a slight smudge under each eye from this stuff - typical, but definitely not the worst.

This is kind of Meh. I doubt I'll repurchase, knowing the results when there are so many other mascaras out there to try. I'm still searching for my HG, ever since Benefit discontinued the mascara that didn't have a cheeky name (I think they just called "mascara") waaaay back when.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 3:01:00 PM More reviews by janeofalltrades

I decided to try this after reading a review on another site. So very glad I did, what a great product! The name promises great volume but I think lengthening is it's real strength. I have long lashes naturally but this stuff lets me play them up without making a mess of my upper eyelids. I can layer more mascara over wet or dry coats without clumping. Any dots of makeup that accidentally find their ways to my skin are easily removed with a wet a-tip and I don't need to comb my lashes out for an ultra-long and feathery soft look when I use Volume Flash.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by amandatorres

I like this mascara, but it is nothing special or extraordinary. It is just like any other average mascara out there in my opinion. I like the packaging, the pretty pink color caught my eye right away. I have long eyelashes as it is, but this mascara works to make them longer and fuller. The thing I don't like about it is if it gets muggy it slides down your eyes, and makes black smudges in your undereyes. I also notice pieces of the mascara flake off under my eyes as well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2012 2:59:00 AM More reviews by tressab

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite drugstore mascara. It doesn't smudge, gives lush lashes, and has an easy to use brush. In fact, I love the brush.

The downside...It is not as plush as my favorite department store mascaras, and it flakes towards the end of the day. I'll take flakes over smudging/raccoon eyes any day.

So, while not perfect, it is the best value mascara.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2012 2:36:00 AM More reviews by mzlovely

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this mascara. It is has been my favorite one for a year now. It isn't the best when you first buy it but it is best when it has got a little dry.
Labeled extreme black and extreme black it is. It really thickens my lashes.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2012 1:22:00 PM More reviews by staceyalberta

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I wasn't very impressed. I bought the waterproof mascara, because I like my mascara to stay put, and not move around during the day. I found this formula would transfer to my upper eyelids took forever to dry. Plus it would smudge off.