April 16, 2014 | 1615 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Ultra Light Ash Blonde

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2014 11:55:00 PM More reviews by Dimanta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love it! Amazing hair color that does not contain Ammonia.. My hair is medium-dark blonde, and I wanted to try to add some more highlights, see how it works. I had to keep it for 40 min (time for blonde shades). The color turned out nice, not too blonde, not ask but light, shiny and golden. I like it. I have had the same results in a salon where I pay $120 so this is much cheaper option for $2.90. The only downside - it irritates the scalp, be careful not to touch the skin, in case you are doing highlights. Not sure how it works for roots or full hair - I guess your whole scalp could be red and itchy.
(Ultra Light Ash Blonde 05)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2013 10:43:00 AM More reviews by lorena88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently lightened my light brown hair to a golden blonde shade. I had alot of gold/ strawberry blonde tones in my hair and decided to try this color (ash blonde. 05). I was hoping it would take out some of the brassiness in my hair and it did do that somewhat just not completely. I really wasn't expecting it to do it completely anyway as I know the only way really is to bleach again. My hair is in pretty dry damaged shape so that's why I didn't go that route. This didn't damage my hair so much, but my head was stinging while the dye was on. My head is obviously sensitive because of me bleaching my hair previously so I can't blame that on this product. Anyway it did get rid of some of the orangeness but it doesn't look like the color on the box. I would probably use it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 7:24:00 AM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

this is a great product. that said, I wish the reviewers would at least mention WHAT COLOR they have used. It would help a lot to assess the products to chose.

the packaging in this is mediocre, the color selection is for boxed hair color only - simplistic at best. the best shades are the dark browns, and the reds. blondes are a bit iffy and not much information provided by the company.

still and all, for the price, it is an excellent product which can if used correctly deliver nice color and healthy hair. better than my L'Oreal I am worth its at triple the price.

will keep re-working till I get the right colors for my expected results.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2013 5:03:00 AM More reviews by xoemilyj

My natural hair color is brown but I've been bleaching it for awhile now, I went from pink to blonde and I still had some yellowish blonde in my hair then I used this for an hour an now my hair is fairly close to the color on the box. So happy I tried this. It was only 2.97 at my local Walmart! (:

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I colored my hair yesterday with Colorsilk Ultra Light Ash Blonde, it liftS my hair quite a bit with no ammonia, pretty impressive, however the roots are light orange brassy blonde so by the recs of other MUAERS I will use Garnier Nutrisse White Chocolate to tone them, I have used the White Chocolate with great success before and leaves my hair super soft and super shiny unlike Colorsilk.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/25/2012 6:47:00 PM More reviews by alliecatt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

So I've got naturally light-medium brown hair and I've dyed it a multitude of shades - including orange and firetruck red, but never blonde until now. I bought this shade specifically to try and avoid inevitable brass as much as possible, but alas I still got it. I used a bowl and brush method and it took forever to saturate my thick, long hair. The roots were the worst! Unhappy with the turnout, I used another box the following day to tone down the orangey brass look into a lemony yellow instead. I then bought purple shampoo to tone down the yellowy look and it turned out much, much better. However, it still was nothing like the box (which isn't what I was going for anyway) but it is instead, a very dark, goldeny blondeish color which isn't bad at all. I am using one more box tonight or tomorrow to lighten it up a little more and I will post again after I do!
Also, it has made my hair very very dry and terrible on the ends which is to be expected, but even conditioner doesn't help too much - the initial dye job was almost 3 weeks ago! Oh well. I imagine this works much better for those who are already blonde.
EDIT: I did a third box of this stuff tonight, and despite my hair already being lifted to a dark golden blonde, it still didn't make the result anywhere near the pale shade shown on the back of the box where the results are put. It is now a lighter golden blonde, which is fine by me. Maybe in a month I'll go lighter again.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2012 7:50:00 PM More reviews by TheLemonCat

First, I just want to say, that I avoided this dye for so many years because of the packaging and price. I didn't know that it was a Revlon product even! If it hadn't been for a random youtube video, and then reading up on reviews for this brand(which has something like a cult following) I was eager to try it out. And at under $4 at my local Wal-mart, I could easily afford two boxes. And it's a good thing I did because the formula is incredibly thin. Slightly less than Garnier, though, with the cheap price, not totally surprising. I use the bowl and brush method, even with box dyes so maybe that's why I felt I was going through dye quite easily. My hair fine and at the time, cut into a shag that was just collarbone length and I just barely made it with one box. For hair any thicker, get two! For the first box, I let my hair process 45 minutes. My hair was a dark level 7 with heavy ash tones, like the color of sandstone, with root re-growth and violet and pink ombre ends....and wow! This dye is indeed hi-lift! My hair lifted to a bright level 10,9 at my roots and some darker red and orange at the start of my tip dips and the violet and pink were completely pastel. I expected this(hence the two boxes) but was flabbergasted that an ammonia free dye could achieve that kind of lift. And for the thin consistency of the dye, the color was all very even, no strange patches of color. Now the end result might sound horrid but it really did not look as bad as it sounds. Yes, it needed to be toned but It was something I could leave the house with.It was mostly a very warm, yellow blonde. I've been dying my hair since I was ten though, so maybe the stages of color don't freak me out as much as it does others. My hair did feel dryer, as to be expected with all blonde dyes but not excessively wrecked. The conditioner was average. I don't feel that it did wonders for my hair and it could be creamier. The joy of it being ammonia free though. Is that I felt quite safe in applying the 2nd box only 3 days later and left it on for 60 minutes. The 2nd dye lifted me completely to a level ten and toned down my brass and completely got rid of my pastel ends. I had no damage to my scalp and my hair felt dry around my ends but not excessively damaged for two high lift dye jobs in less than a week. While it did even out my color, I did not notice anymore lift on my roots and it was still a little too warm than I was aiming for. A very light, pretty soft yellow. A very acceptable blonde. I think that since this dye can "lift" so well, it may actually give people with more red undertones in their hair a neutral or more warm result. It did start to turn more yellow within the week and by the end of the 2nd week it was a very bright yellow ten and the ends of my hair were completely wrecked, which is probably more do to the fact that they had been previously bleached before the Colorsilk to make way for the violet and pink. I then toned over it with Garnier White Chocolate and these two combined made up the perfect blonde shade that I was aiming for. All in all, I would use this again to lift my roots or to lighten a previous blonde dye. Impressive over all for an ammonia free, dirt cheap, box blonde hair dye.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by leesaw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought this color so I could lighten my dark brown asian hair. (Note: my hair was dark brown, but under sunlight it appeared to be slightly brassy).I was hesitant to bleach my hair because I didn't want that drastic of a change in hair color -- nor was I liking the idea of total murder of my hair. I've tried brown hair dyes but they either (1) made my hair even darker or (2) tinted it ever so slightly.

I applied this hair dye and left it in for 20 minutes. When I washed it off the results were VERY obvious. My hair was DEFINITELY brown. A tad bit on the orange/brassy side, but kind of like a honey brown. My roots were definitely orange/brassy because I applied the hair dye to the roots first (just a warning, so don't be surprised!) I was fine with roots; it didn't bother me too much.

It's been about 2 months now since I've used the hair dye. The roots are no longer brassy (the brassy-ness faded after 1~2 weeks). If the brassy-ness of the entire look worries you, don't worry -- the overall brassy-ness also fades within a week or so. After that first week, my hair began fading into a chestnut brown; and has remained that color since. I see no significant damage in hair, only split ends due to me having not trimmed my hair in ages.

I recommend this product, hands down. It's a great way (to all the ladies with dark brown hair) to lighten the color of their hair. If you want to avoid the brassy-ness, just shorten the time you leave the hair dye in. I'm not sure if I will repurchase the product and do it again because I don't think I'll be going any lighter anytime soon.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 12/12/2011 2:15:00 AM More reviews by ShinyGlitterDoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I heard good things about how this product can lighten dishwater blonde hair to a light blonde. My natural color is light brown/dark blonde so I thought I had a good chance at getting some kind of blonde color, but after trying it twice, leaving it on for an hour each time, I only ended up with a light orange and had to go buy real bleach and developer instead. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who isn't already at least a medium blonde.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/10/2011 12:58:00 PM More reviews by x5x5x5x5x5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Some background - this review is really intended for people who have med/dark brown hair:

I have dark brown hair with about 50% gray. I was using frost and glow to highlight my hair and very happy with it - then decided to go crazy and super blonde. I went to my hairdresser three or four times to get light blonde (not platinum). I then got in a pinch and used clairol born blonde maxi to touch up my roots. It was successful for the most part. Then I had the need to touch up again and decided to go for maxi one more time. The results were not as nice as I'd hoped. My roots ended up yellow/orange and I had gotten quite a bit of brassiness in my hair. I debated about what to do - then decided to purchase this product to lighten the roots and take out the brass all over. I assumed that since my roots were already strawberry blonde that this would lift out the brass. Well . . . the results were okay. It did lighten the roots - but only around three shades. It did take out a decent amount of the brass from the rest of my hair. Didn't get a platinum all over though - I had hoped it would eliminate all the brass. Now, don't get me wrong - it worked fine but I do think that it's meant for naturally light hair. I get the impression that even though my hair was already very blonde - since my natural hair is dark brown, there was only so much it could do. It basically lightened the very brassy parts and made blonde the slightly brassy parts. It did make the very light blonde strands almost white which I think looks good. It didn't damage my hair as much as I thought - which is great. All in all, I'm fairly happy and would probably purchase again if needed.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No