Refissa

4.5

mineral oil, sorbitol solution, hydroxyoctacosanyl hydroxystearate; methoxy PEG-22/dodecyl glycol copolymer, PEG- 45/dodecyl glycol copolymer, stearoxytrimethylsilane and stearyl alcohol, dimethicone 50 cs, methylparaben, edetate disodium, propylparaben, butylated hydroxytoluene, citric acid monohydrate, and purified water.

on 5/19/2015 3:16:00 PM

Do you want to say young looking? Buy this! It is so great. I have used retain A almost all of my life and have no wrinkles in my mid 30's to show for it. LOVE LOVE LOVE

on 4/6/2015 1:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really love this product, unfortunately my spa no longer carries Obagi products and neither dose my derm- will be changing to a different retain-a soon (not sure which one), but I had to share my love affair with Refissa.

I started using Refissa when I began a 12 week course of the Obagi Nu Derm system. Keep in mind my review may be atypical for Refissa, during it's initial use because I was using 6 other products in adjunct with it, but the experience is similar to what most people report.

Refissa is in very emollient, it feels thick but smooth on your fingers and is rapidly absorbed into your skin as you try to spread it out. It is recommended to use a pea size but sometimes you need a bit more just to cover your face because it really dose sink it quick. Your skin will look dewy after application. In the Obagi Nu Derm system you use this product at night before bed, a half hour after washing. Waiting the half hour after washing can be annoying but this is done so prevent irritation, so it is worth it! I work overnights so I would apply this a half hour after a shower. I was able to use it on my face and apply a very light warmth shade over my cheekbones and not have it look shiny or strange, so if you need to wear it out don't worry. Obviously, as with pretty much all skin products, wear sunscreen.

The initial purge was not as bad as some people have reported but bad enough for me. I had 2-3 medium to large blemishes at a time that were red and angry, occasionally painful. They did disappear quicker then normal and the red marks faded faster. I had redness and peeling around my mouth, chin, nostrils and naso-labial folds. I did not put the product specifically in these areas after the irritation started but since you use it at night I believe some product would get on my pillow and spread around my face. In retrospect I would have used Refissa 3x a week for the first two weeks rather than daily.
After 6 weeks the blemishes subsided and my skin adapted nicely to the Refissa. I completed the Nu Derm system (I'll write a full review for that later) and continued to use Refissa off-and-on for a few years.

Each tube cost me $75 so I would go through lapses in use. Each time I would re-purchase and begin using it I did NOT have a purge or peeling phase, however my skin would become bright and dewy, my freckles diminished but did not go away, scars faded and more pores tightened. I however was unable after 4 tubes to rid my skin of the majority of closed comedones on my cheek and chin area. I believe I need a stronger product to reach those. For wrinkling and photo damage this product worked great. My skin felt so supple and firm! It is also important to add no matter how great your skin feels and looks, DO NOT PICK. No, seriously, don't do it. Write with dry erase marker on your bathroom mirror if you have to! Your skin is still exfoliating rapidly on this product and the outer layer is soft and will slough off and leave marks and scabs even with light picking. It's not worth it and will make it worse, I know because I made the mistakes myself!

All in all, break into this product slowly and work your way up to a once nightly. Use with a moisturizer if it is too harsh for you- there are many great suggestions in these reviews, there are so many ways to ease your skin into retain-a use I really believe I would have avoided the harsh initial purge by using 3x weekly with a moisturizer before application. Please do not be reluctant to try a Retin-A because of the 'purge', it is difficult but worth it AND some people never purge, the product works differently on even the same skin type.

If my spa still carried it I'd still be using it! I have converted to Obagi360 0.5% Retinol in the meantime while I wait 2 months for my derm appointment and have had excellent, similar results.

on 2/26/2015 1:34:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

My experience with Refissa has been like Auburngal's who reviewed it before me and is in my age group. I too moved up from Renova. I like it better than Renova, not only because it has over twice the concentration of the active ingredient, tretinoin, but because it is more moisturizing. Because it is so moisturizing, I can easily wear it every night now with no irritation, right up to underneath my eyes. The only place I don't apply it is on my eyelids. And, I dot it on my whole face concentrating on my problem wrinkle areas, ie: marionette lines, elevens and crows feet. The residue that is left on my hands after spreading it all over my face, I apply to my neck, though I buffer it there with a moisturizing cream or oil. Crème de La Mer works best for the buffering. I found coupons online that CVS accepted and a tube cost me $73. I don't know how long that will last, since I am still on my first tube and I have had it for at least 3 months, maybe longer. I use the pea sized amount recommended, never more. wake up with moist skin even on cold winter days. My skin feels plump. Age spots seem to be lightening more than they did with Renova. With Renova, I sometimes had to do two nights on, one night off because it dried my skin. Because I can be more consistent with Refissa, my skin looks even better than before. I consistently get told that I look younger than my age, 65, and women ask if I have Botox or other fillers. I don't. My only minor complaint is that Refissa only came in a tube. Renova came in a pump container, which I found more convenient. And, mine is made by Suneva, not Obagi. It is not a generic. Suneva's website lists Refissa on it.

on 5/13/2013 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

After years on Renova (currently only 0.02% tretenoin), I looked for generic alternatives (especially when my local pharmacy started charging $275 per tube, though it lasts nearly a year). Found Refissa for a lot less (about $68 for a tube that lasts about 3 - 4 months). It has more active ingredient (0.05%) in a more emollient base, good news for my super-dry skin. Rather than buying expensive creams with unproven ingredients, I prefer to buy inexpensive but rich creams for moisture (such as Nivea crème) and use my own anti-aging ingredients when I choose.
If you are looking for a less expensive alternative to Renova, Refissa is for you. It is FDA-approved, requires a prescription (just like Renova), comes in a sealed tube, has an expiry on the crimp of the tube, and is made by the same people who make CeraVe (marketed by Obagi).

on 4/12/2013 10:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I've used Retin A, Retin A Micro and Renova in the past. Nothing beats retinoids for fine wrinkles. Refissa is by far the best of those I have tried if you follow your dermatologist's directions perfectly. It does not have fragrance :-) I use a pea size for my entire face, every other night. I do not apply until at least 30 minutes after cleansing and toning my skin. My blackheads are gone, my skin is visibly more even toned and fine wrinkles lessened. Super important to wear sunscreen every day while using this product as your skin will be more sensitive. If you cannot tolerate every other night, go once every two to three nights until you find what works for you. I use Paula's Choice retinol serum on the nights I do not use Refissa. The results are fantastic!

on 8/9/2012 10:41:00 AM

I LOVE this stuff. I went to LA a few weeks ago and came home all broken out. My skin was an absolute mess. I had finished my sample of Jan Marini Bio Clear (wonderful stuff- look it up) so I pulled out a sample of refissa that my friend had given me. Off the bat I started using it about 4 times a week. I didn't know you're supposed to ease yourself into it. My skin is so clear and beautiful now!! Do I tingle? No. Do I peel? Well a few little minor spots I did. Nothing major. And I do love the emollient base, which is scary for someone like me who has combo skin (a little drier as I get older) but I wake up to soft, clear skin.

I'm religious about my BB Cream by Makeup Forever which has SPF 35, but I probably need to start wearing a hat when I run outside. Other than that this has made any adult acne I have disappear and made my skin glow. I had my dr. call in a Rx yesterday to Walgreens and it's going to be $100 WITH insurance. But you know what- I don't care because this stuff is so marvelous. I highly recommend it, esp if you have olive skin like mine because it can handle more than others.

My dermatologist perscribed Refissa to even out my skin tone. I began by using the product every other day which proved to be too aggressive. My skin turned a bright red and the texture had the appearance of poison ivy. In addition, my skin was flaking off in large clumps and itched like mad. I stopped using it for a week and started back slowing using it every three to four days which didn't help matters. I still had the same reaction. I am surprised to read the other reviews that indicate refissa didn't irritate the users skin.

on 1/4/2012 11:38:00 PM

Have used daily for almost a year. I have finally given up. There was no difference in wrinkles or lines......if anything.....it seemed to make it worse. I followed directions......really hoping this would work for the high price.

on 10/29/2011 8:27:00 PM

I have been using this for almost 4 months now and it has made a tremendous difference for me. I previously used Renova, but I always had peeling and irritation. I have had almost no irritation with Refissa and it has already noticeably improved the clarity and evenness of my skin. It is quite moisturizing on its own and I do not need an additional moisturizer after applying it at night. I would definitely recommend trying this if you are looking for a prescription strength retinoid.

on 8/5/2011 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I currently use this as a night cream before I go to bed, it tends to become hard to spread within SECONDS of placing it on your skin so I mix it with a little of my moisturizer. It is fantastic, it makes my skin feel so moisturized.

Popular Treatments (Face)