Dr. Bronner's Organic Lip Balm - Orange Ginger

Not tested on animals

on 2/17/2014 8:33:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

As a balm, this does a good job. It absorbs into my lips and helps protect them from drying out. However, it smells disgusting and tastes disgusting. I love ginger, and I love orange, but I can't handle whatever version is in this stuff. I'll tolerate the rest of this tube because it does its job, but when it runs out I'll be picking up the unscented version.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Not a fan, I'm afraid.
First of all, this smells really earthy from the ginger. It is real ginger essential oil smell so it's not cosmetically enhanced to smell like "ideal" ginger. It is very strong and bitter. The orange smells very weak next to the ginger. So I don't find it pleasant to apply. Other than that, both ginger and orange oils are phototoxic. I'm not against essential oils at all but it surprises me that they thought this would be a safe combination. I'm trying to use this only at night, just in case.
The texture is less waxy than Burt's Bees or Yes to Carrots lip balms, so it's more oily. Recently there's been a heatwave where I live and the lip balm literally melted on my lips - it became a complete blob. The tube is now a greasy mess but I'll keep using it because I don't throw things out. Perhaps it works better in winter.
In general, I like the ingredients and maybe I'll try the unscented lip balm when I'm finished with this. This one I certainly won't buy again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I find this lip balm just as high quality and moisturizing as the unscented and mint versions (which I will also review) but it seems that my lips don't appreciate citrus. Other balms I have tried with citrus oils have made my lips sting and eventually peel and this one was no different. It you don't have this issue though, this is definitely a very nice, natural, basic balm that will moisturize and protect your lips.

on 4/2/2013 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Wow, I really enjoy using this lip balm. I love anything with Orange and Ginger, and the combination of the 2, of course I'll buy it.

It goes on smoothly, has a great subtle (some users may find strong) smell of ginger and orange. It goes on smoothly and I don't need to reapply often, but I do because I love the product!!

I love lip balms and will definitely be repurchasing this one. Its not bitter like some other natural lip products and its organic too. It really has everything I need in a lip balm, well, if it had a tint of color, then it would have everything!!

on 2/15/2012 8:55:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought this on a whim at Whole Foods for $2.99. I'm surprised a solid lip balm goes on so smoothly, especially a one that is brand-new, never been in my pocket and thus warmed up by my body heat.

I took off one lippie because it smells better than it tastes (which is not that great, but not totally disgusting at least).

on 3/27/2011 11:47:00 PM

Super moisturizing. Very strong scent, but does an amazing job.

Comparable to Badger balms in terms of texture and feel on lips. Lots of lovely organic and natural ingredients - jojoba oil, avocado oil, hemp oil, orange peel oil, ginger root oil. Very moisturising and sinks in well to nourish lips. I'd repurchase but not in this variety as I find the ginger scent a little overwhelming!

on 9/19/2010 11:49:00 PM

This is currently my FAVORITE lip balm. It is natural, organic, and not tested on animals - all things I'm looking for in my attempt to live greener. The price isn't too bad either, but I haven't had much luck finding it anywhere but on their website and a few specialty stores which is a big minus for me.

I love love the ginger and orange combination, it is a strong spicy scent, a little bit of tingle (not as strong as Burt's Bees original lip balm), and it moisturizes very well. It doesn't leave much of a shine, so I think it'd be suitable under drying lip products. This doesn't need a lot of reapplication.

on 9/8/2010 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Bought in a hurry- just needed some lip balm and this was different. Works well, and I love the taste.

on 11/12/2009 7:25:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I decided as my cosmetic products either ran out, wore out, or expired, I would switch to those that are not tested on animals. This meant when my chap stick finally ran out/got lost, I had to find a new favorite- and I found it in Dr. Bronner's.

I have a thing for Orange Ginger in the fall/winter time, and this fits right in. It smells wonderful, has little to no taste at all, and is very hydrating and soothing. I use this to condition my lips as I put the rest of my makeup on in the morning, then put my lip liner/stick/gloss over after its soaked in a bit.

I just bought another tube for my purse, and I'll probably buy yet another tube for my night stand, and possibly backups... I kinda like this stuff... ;)

I have not tried the other flavors, though I'm sure I'll get around to it once my Orange Ginger obsession subsides after the chilly months.

Popular Lip Treatments