August 29, 2014 | 1833 users online

Cleansers - Thalgo - Cocooning Cleansing Milk

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2009 8:42:00 AM More reviews by CountessDementia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin as of May 2009 has been something out of a post-Accutane nightmare. For the first three months after I had concluded my course, my skin was clear and oil-free. But those dratted hyperpigmented marks drove me half-mad...I wanted those wretched things gone and my flawless even-toned complexion restored! Thus commenced a mad-scientist experiment with all kinds of lightening/ whitening products: retinoids, concentrated face creams, brightening facials, AHA and BHA acids...there's nothing I didn't subject my poor skin to. By the time July rolled around, I was experiencing immense dryness and itchiness, particularly around the eye and nose area. My skin was patchy, prone to redness and blotchiness, and anything from a steamy shower to spicy food made me break out in little pink bumps all over. Mind you, though some of these bumps were white-heads (indicating clogged pores), they itched rather than hurt. My derm dismissed them as an acne relapse and diagnosed them as a form of heat rash instead. The mook!

In the meantime, I was cleansing with nothing but water and had stopped using all manner of creams/ lotions as everything I put on my face seemed to aggravate it. I started researching skincare lines and found that Thalgo had a new range of cleansers that contained no parabens, no mineral oil, no animal derived ingredients, and were propylene-glycol and GMO free. I sourced out a Thalgo counter and after a lengthy discussion with the salesperson, walked away with the Cocooning Cleansing Milk, a purported bestseller for dry and sensitive skin. What I didn't realize at the time was that though my skin was sensitive, most definitely, it was dehydrated rather than dry per se. The little whiteheads I had been getting were due to an imbalance of water and oil in the skin, making my skin oily yet tight and itchy...the classic symptoms of dehydration,

I loved using this cleanser initially. The thick, fragrant cream seemed to melt into my skin and soothe it. The redness would fade (albeit temporarily) and my skin would stop itching. The pink bumps persisted though, and so too did the whiteheads. Though this cleanser was soothing and felt luxurious to use, I don't think it did much to cleanse/ purify the skin. Given all the heavy creams I was piling on top of my skin AM and PM to counteract the dryness and itchiness, this product wasn't doing the necessary job of clearing away all the debris at the end of the day. I have since used up the bottle and gone back to Eminence Organics Stone-Crop Gel Wash cleanser, and the bumps have miraculously decreased. It could also be due to my new Jurlique skincare routine to rebalance sensitivity and heal damaged skin (I have only been on this routine for the past two days, so I shall try to curb my vulgar enthusiasm til I can be sure).

Overall, I think this would be a good product if you have dry, mature, problem-free skin. 250 mls retails for RM 145 here in Malaysia (definitely pricey by my standards), and the pink bottle is likely to appeal to those of the feminine persuasion. Date extract and shea butter softens while red algae revitalizes, though I'm a little wary about the later as algae extract can be quite comedogenic. Thalgo's latest range is a worthwhile purchase for ladies looking for products that respect the skin's natural balance while providing gentle, effective healing. Just be sure to diagnose your skin's needs properly first. It's all to easy to mistake dehydrated-oily skin for skin requiring moisture...a big no-no. You need to treat the water-oil imbalance first. This will heal redness, reduce irritation and curb sensitivity. Would not repurchase but would recommend to those with dry PROBLEM-FREE skin.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Pentaerythrityl Tetraethylhexanoate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Olus Oil (Vegetable Oil), Glycerin, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Sodium Polyacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Lauryl Glucoside, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Parfum (Fragrance), Glyceryl Oleate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phoenix Dactylifera (Date Fruit) extract, Gelidium Sesquipedale Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Sorbic Acid, Butylphenyl Methylproponial, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Citronellol, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Geraniol, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde.

Ingredients: