July 28, 2014 | 1614 users online

Crème - Illuminare - Extra Coverage Foundation/ Concealer

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by jbriscuso

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have never written a review of a makeup product, but when I tried the Illuminare Extra Coverage I had to. This is absolutely my HG foundation. It has wonderful coverage and makes my skin look velvety perfect. I used my Beauty Blender to apply it, it went out so easily and smoothly. I used such a small amount on the back of my hand and I was so surprised to find it covered my whole face perfectly. The finish is beautiful, semi matte. It is definitely long lasting, It stayed on all day. I live in south Florida and for my job I am in and out of my car all day and even in the heat it wore beautifully. I love how my skin looks when I wear this foundation. It doesn't look like a mask, just perfect. I have been looking for a liquid mineral foundation for so long and I will be repurchasing this foundation in the future. I can't believe it took me this long to try this makeup. Some people will think you don't get a lot of foundation for the price, but you only need such a small amount of foundation to cover your whole face, its worth it. I also love that you don't need a concealer when using this foundation. If you need a little more coverage in some areas, just put a little more on in those areas. I can't say enough about this makeup. I will be trying some more of Illuminare's products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 3:30:00 PM More reviews by Tindra78

My skin: acne-prone, enlarged pores almost all over my face, hyperpigmentation/melasma and "irritations"/redness. As you see, I have a real problem skin...

I usually wear Everyday minerals loose matte Foundation combined with the Vichy normaderm teint foundation (the one for imperfections/acne). These two works with my skin, but I always like to try new stuff, so.... Now I've tried this foundation. My skin is NW15/NC15, and I found that the porcelain shade was the closest match (even if it is a little darker then my NW15 concealer!) Consistency: very thick. A little harder to spread in that way. Also feels a little "sticky"...

Coverage: This is more of a concealer than a foundation, its really thick and pigmented. I guess you should use it on smaller areas, otherwise it will look cakey. I've used it to conceal the undereye area, and cover some spots. In many ways this reminds of the Mary Kay concealer, that is also very, very pigmented and also very dry like this.

Price: IF you use this only as a concealer, it could be "ok" for the amount you get. Otherwise it's quite pricy... Shades: The shade porcelain is the right shade for me when it comes to the lightness, BUT it is grey!! The problem is that if you have bluish undereye circles you'd need some more pink in your undereye concealer, BUT something more yellow on the spots. In that way this shade is hard to use....and I'd need 1-2 more to mix them to the right shades, but they are too expensive...

This is similar in coverage, to the undereye concealer I use right now, Mac Pro Longwear NW 15. The Mac is thinner in consistency though.

Availability: hard to get here in Europe, very long shipping time if ordered directly from the company.

So: I won't order this again, it's just too similar to other cheaper and more available products. Even if it has good coverage.

Update 2013-01-21;
I've realized that I actually have used this little pigmented sample I have almost daily anyway! The shade porcelain is ok, and the "grayish" color does not appear gray if you use it only as a concealer. I've had really awful spots and scars that have "disappeared" with this. (Although be careful to work it in properly, cause other pigments can get "stuck" in it, for example blush - it can give an uneven look when the blush pigments settle in it...but work it in, and let dry!) Maybe will order the full size! Five lippies, it's worth it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/22/2012 1:12:00 PM More reviews by jessicalynn

I love the pure ingredients in this Illuminare foundation. I also use it under my eyes as a concealer, and it works fairly well at that also. I love the packaging. It's not as wasteful as many other brands and works very effeciently if you ask me. I apply it with a regular foundation brush rather than the applicator the Illuminare folks recommend, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2011 2:52:00 PM More reviews by kfulghum

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I finally decided to write a review of this product after many attempts to use it. The first two times I used it, I didn't like it. Needless to say I was very frustrated because I had seen all the wonderful reviews on it! I have oily, acne-prone, sensitive, red skin, so I thought the ultimate all day foundation would be best for me. Mistake # 1. It turned out that the extra coverage foundation/concealer was the best match for my skin. Mistake # 2 was using the wrong color. I was using the Portofino Porcelain and it was too light. I have fair skin but by the end of the day the porcelain was white and chalky in my pores. So I decided to try the extra coverage foundation/concealer for a change. I was a little afraid at first as I didn't want to look like I had stage makeup on. Which leads me to my next bit of advice: A little goes a long way! I tried the extra coverage foundation by mixing the Portofino Porcelain with the Florentine Fair and it was the perfect match for my skin! It takes time to get the foundation to look just like you want it to, but by now I've got it down to an art. You really have to blend the makeup as it is very concentrated. It leaves a beautiful finish on my skin and believe me I don't have beautiful skin. It lasts all day with a few blots in the afternoon. I also tried the foundation applicator that Illuminare sells. I didn't like it. It soaks up too much foundation and doesn't really spread it evenly. Maybe I'm using it wrong, who knows. I like to put the foundation on with a foundation brush. I'm so glad that I didn't give up on this foundation the first time I used it!! I would definitely recommend this makeup and would buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/21/2011 7:02:00 PM More reviews by LizWords

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE 9/24/11: Still my HQ concealer. I no longer use it as a full face foundation, it's too thick and covering for that and doesn't look very natural all over. Best concealer ever though.

UPDATE: Best eye concealer ever. Lasts forever. LOVE IT.

UPDATE: I'm still loving this. I bumped up the color to Florentine Fair since I got a bit of a tan in the Bahamas earlier this month. The color matches great, and I have figured out how to spread it and use it all over my face on days when i want full coverage. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT.

I also purchased the Ultimate All Day version but it's a bit too drying for me so I have been mixing the two types at times with good results.

This is the most amazing concealer I have ever used. I have yet to try it as a full foundation, but as a concealer it's second to none. I've been using this for about a week, the porcelain is perfect for my skin type (fair with moderate yellow undertones). It covers red spots and pimples better than anything else I've ever tried in my life, and it's also a dream for my dark under eye circles. I think it has amazing staying power as well. I touched up my makeup 3xs in a 10 hour work day and only had to blot some oil and apply a bit more mineral foundation and veil and that was it, no need for additional concealer. If you're not setting this with at least a translucent powder, I could see how it may rub off, but that's how all foundations/concealers act with me if I don't set it properly.

I have combo/oily skin and this makeup is perfect for that, if you have dry skin, this probably won't work for you. It goes on very matte, and I've been wondering how to make it spread as a full face foundation. But at this rate I really don't need it for that. It covers the red parts of my face so well and blends really good. I simply give myself a dusting with my favorite mineral foundation once I've applied the concealer and my face looks nearly flawless, but still natural, glowing. This is the least amount of makeup I've worn in years, usually i put on lots of concealer, a liquid foundation, and then mineral foundation to give myself full coverage. I no longer need to do that with this makeup, and you have no idea how much this means me to me. Yes I wish it was a bit cheaper and readily available, but I'm willing to spend a couple extra bucks for a product that really really works. Besides, I've been spending 15$ on drugstore foundations that work okay for years, I'm willing to fork over the extra 12$ for a product that works freakin great.

I purchased a full .5oz tube of this off ebay for a total of 26$ uncluding shipping, but I've decided to order from their website next time and invest in a couple more samples of their products. They offer some great deals on samples on the illuminare site, I would definitely suggest most people try a sample before investing in a full tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/17/2010 5:41:00 AM More reviews by viscousbadgerjelly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I prefer natural beauty products where possible but found mineral powder make up too drying for my skin and the act of brushing it on really aggrevated it.

I choose this liquid mineral foundation as the next best thing - more natural ingredients and less parabens than your standard foundation even though I have to ship it over from America which adds to the cost - however as I dont need to buy concealer I don't mind the extra cost. I bought my first tube a year ago and I am only just finishing it off now so it's brilliant value really.

The foundation is very concentrated - 1/2 a pea sized blob is enough to evens my skin tone beautifully - if i have a blemish I add a tiny bit more to cover.

The colour choice is quite limited - I am between the shades florentine fair and the next darkest. However because it is such a heavy coverage foundation, it can be a bit mask like if you apply too much anyway so I have found that mixing florentine fair with the same amount of liquid bronzer gives me my perfect shade (whatever the season) without loosing the coverage.

It has never broken me out either as I have experienced with other liquid foundations.

My HG foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2010 6:14:00 AM More reviews by kimbuyah

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Other Eyes: Blue

With oily skin, I have a hard time with foundation that isn't powder. Sheer Cover is what I used for the last five years, but it quit working and we broke up a few months ago. Anyway, I am trying everything extra coverage lately and received the trial kit of Illuminare 2 weeks ago for $10 and I bought the funky leopard puff thing too. I guess they don't have trial sizes in Alabaster because that's the color I needed and can't use the darker ones but the lightest of the three ,Florentine Fair is ok. You get a lot of product for $10. All three shades are named after places in Italy and it's fitting because they are all olive skin colored. I am not but it wasnt too bad. I am learning different techniques and the first time I tried this , it gathered in and around and made my pores look like little collecting pools. It felt heavy and greasy too and again made me sigh and realize I won't be able to wear foundations other than powder. But maybe not. As I suspected, a powder prime is looking like my oily girls solution. I also read on here the other day about a flat top brush and this did the trick. I never brushed on foundation before but it's neat. You only need a little bit of product and this is quite thick. I used the back of my hand as a pallette and even spritzed it a bit with Clean & Clear oil free moisturizer spray and buffed it in. I lightly daubbed all over with a damp sea sponge and it stayed pretty flawless for a good 12 hours. I didn't even use any concealer which is unusual and it covered up as good as the government. After it had been on a really long time it did start to slide but it worked really well long enough to impress me and I would wear it again but just need to get the Alabaster shade.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/17/2010 8:55:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

After reading such positive reviews on this product, I was really excited to try it!! However, it just didn't work with my skin. When I applied just enough to cover my acne/acne scars, it got SUPER oily throughout the day and literally slid off! When I applied less, it did a crappy job of providing coverage (and still appeared slightly greasy). Normally my skin isn't all that oily either. :( Another MAJOR negative, is I started breaking out more after using this...it was just way too heavy. I will continue my search to find a full coverage ( and "natural" looking) foundation.
****UPDATE: *****
If you are looking for a wonderful coverage foundation that won't make you greasy or cause breakouts, I recommend Gabriel Cosmetics-- Liquid Foundation and Dual Powder! My new favorites!!!

EDIT: 10/10/12: After trying Kat Von D's new Lock-It Tattoo Foundation, I am in love!!!! PHENOMENAL coverage without oxidation/greasiness. See my review on this for more details, if you're interested. Formulated without parabens, mineral oil, fragrance, etc. :)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2010 9:35:00 PM More reviews by kegrilovessmu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got samples of this. I knew the color I was wearing was just a *little* too light for me, but it wasn't really too noticable... Until I went into the bathroom at work... There is flourescent lights in there... Yeah, no one really looks that great under that kind of lighting... but I seriously almost started crying. I could not believe how DISGUSTING I looked. This stuff made me look like a SUPER pale, greasy mess! Back at my desk I had to check my own mirror, and everything looked fine... I just can't wear this as my foundation if I have to worry about what kind of light I'm standing in. I've worn cheaper foundations with not as much coverage, and I never looked anywhere near that bad in the bathroom mirrors! 2 overall ratings because it would be an ok foundation (doesn't help oily skin) if you were never around flourescents. $28 for a tiny tube, but it would last a long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by briii

this is a nice foundation. its not my favorite, but its not a bad foundation. its coverage is nice, and it makes my skin look amazing. i gave it a 4 because its staying power is horrible. i put it on and if i get on my phone or hug someone it comes right off. i dont put that much on either, so its pretty gross. thats my only complaint about this foundation, and thats the main reason i never use it. if they fixed that problem this would be an amazing foundation. but its not bad. i say its good for people who are only going to wear it for a small amount of time. but if your looking for something with a nicer staying power, you can find something better.