April 18, 2014 | 2032 users online

Moisturizers - Paula's Choice - RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 10:16:00 AM More reviews by wendylee526

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Great product. The best thing about this particular product is that it keeps my skin from being dry... and I have VERY dry skin. VERY dry. It doesn't make my skin feel like it drank it all in where it leaves a greasy feel. It does what it needs to by keeping my skin from being dry, but just feels soft and dry. So I kinda love it. And I'm a product junkie! I've tried EVERYTHING under the sun. I literally spend thousands of dollars a year keeping up w/ new products. Always trying to find that HG product line. I have faith in this product line and I have never loved taking care of my dry skin so much!! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/31/2014 11:56:00 PM More reviews by Athena2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A number of reviews have indicated that this moisturizer is very light, and is more like a serum than a moisturizer. That may be true, but it's the perfect moisturizer for me. I have always had very dry skin, but I haven't really done anything about it. My skin has been easy to keep up all my life; I've never had acne, my pores were invisible, my skin is very fair, and I have never washed my face, let alone applied sunscreen or anything else, unless I was going to the beach or working in the yard all day. I have, however, avoided the sun as much as possible. Now, at 42, I have some brown spots on my cheeks and crow's feet around my eyes. Plus, I can see my pores now. I finally decided to do something about it.

For the past month, I went from doing absolutely nothing to my skin (and I mean nothing), to applying 6-7 products to my skin twice a day. It's quite a change. And, while my skin is very dry, I'm finding that it does better with products that aren't designed for people with dry skin (maybe because it's being bombarded with multiple products now). After cleansing, toning, sometimes using an AHA, applying an antioxidant, vitamin C serum, and a skin brightening treatment, this moisturizer is just right for me. It is not thick and luscious. It soaks in quickly and my skin feels baby soft after I've used it.

I don't want shiny skin that looks like moisturizer has been applied to it; if that's what you want, you won't find it here. My skin is struggling a little bit with AHA products, but it feels much better after applying this, even though it has some retinol.

Ultimately, I am seeing an amazing change in my skin; it looks significantly better. Given the number of Paula's Choice products I'm using, I can't attribute the change to this moisturizer. However, I can say that my skin FEELS great after I've put this on.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by MsVengeance

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually only use Paula's toners bc her moisturizers always seem to irritate and/or break my skin out (though I did like her "anti-aging clear skin hydrator" for awhile). I only got this one out of desparation when my old pm moisturizer (la roche's Effaclar H) got reformulated and I noticed they had similar ingredients.

This is a really light moisturizer--so light that I think it's almost dishonest of them to label it as such bc I can't see it providing sufficient moisture for any but those with oily skin--or at least, it's not gonna be enough unless you use like, 4+ pumps. Considering the price that's a lot. It's more like a serum despite the lotion texture. My skin is currently on the oilier side of combo and if I didn't use the Skin Balancing toner it would'nt be enough.

I've been using about 2-3 pumps every night since the beginning of Jan (thinking I'm nearing the end of the bottle btw) and I have recently noticed my skin looks slightly more refined and what I like about this is that it's come without the cost of the irritation and breakouts that retin a can give me (I've recently tried to start using it again and omg it's so evil).

I think it actually did break me out and irritate me initially. I know I know I just said it wasn't like retin a and it isn't: my skin's reaction was really mild compared to retin a--plus it might not even be typical considering I had not exfoliated in any form for several months due to an accutane course so my skin was all sensitive. At this point I think it actually helps with acne. I can't say whether it helps with skin discoloration or redness cause the Skin Balancing toner already does that a lot for me.

Ultimately, this stuff reminds me of Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair serum--though it doesn't make my skin as glowy and dewy. Still, I think it would be perfect if it actually provided sufficient moisture but I guess you can't have everything (probably if she put moisture in there I'd break out anyways).

This "moisturizer" is now $27 but I plan to repurchase--though I will do so full of resentment bc I am still pretty disgusted with Paula's ever rising prices....Can I just say that I found it HIGHLY ironic when I saw a picture of her in the little pamphlet that came with this product--ironic, bc our girl Paula is obviously a user of botox and fillers...she's got a great profile but straight on her face is frozen, waxy and kind of creepy (it appears to belong to a much older woman than you'd think from the profile so it's just weird). BTW, she admits to it so on the other hand, at least she's honest about it, right?

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2014 7:01:00 PM More reviews by HWL

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

This is very good, though I would not say it is good for very dry skin as stated. But is good for dry combo skin and does not break me out. It is gentle and has some retinol. I cannot tolerate much retinol, so it is nice to find a product I can use with some regularity. I don't use it every day, but when I don't want to use any exfoliants but need a little skin clearing. I also use it with other creams, as a mild serum. It helps a bit with dark spots and clarity and redness. It's nothing amazing and there are many other retinol products, but I like this one. Its gentle. . I get no irritation and no breakouts, and some moisture. Many PC products have broken me out. I find the categories confusing - some for dry skin were super hydrating but broke me out and others like this don't seem like they should be targeted for dry skin. But when you compare it to the Resist Hydrator it is moisturizing. I have bought this one again, so that says something. If I were able to use a retinol serum more often, I might buy a cheeper and use that. However, not all of use need massive amounts of exfoliants and retinol - we are better off with just a little. It does help with clarity on nights I use it. . I use it about 3 or 4 times a week.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2013 11:14:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

There are benefits to this, but, for someone with dry skin like me, the usefulness of this product is limited. This moisturizer is very light and does not provide much hydration, so those with drier skin will need another moisturizer on top of this one. However, it should be enough hydration for those with oilier skin. As to why one would use this over any ordinary moisturizer, the retinol, note how far down it is on the ingredient list. Thus, there is probably not much retinol in the product. This can be great if you're wanting to ease into using retinol or can't tolerate higher doses, but I think most people would be happier with a product with a higher percentage if retinol in it. So, in summary, if you have normal to oily skin, are looking for light moisturization, and are looking for a product with just a little bit of retinol - congrats, this is the perfect product for you. Everyone else, though, I suggest using your favorite moisturizer and a separate retinol product (like PC's Retinol Recovery Serum).

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 5:45:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't find this drying at all. I apply it lightly over the Retinol Repair Serum and it does the job nicely. Skin looks and feels great, not at all dry in the morning. Nicely hydrated. Packed full of antioxidants and helpful retinol. Has helped reduce fine lines.

I would reccommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2013 3:34:00 PM More reviews by yalcrab

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Pros:
-Lightweight, gel-like formula (this could be a pro or con depending on your skin's needs)
-No silicones
-No fragrance
-Improves skin texture
-Hygienic pump packaging

Cons:
-Expensive
-Difficult to tell how much product is left
-Not moisturizing enough for very dry skin

I've been searching far and wide for a moisturizer that doesn't have silicones or jojoba oil (since both break me out) and this seems to fit the bill. I have combo skin that tends to get dehydrated and flaky. This stuff doesn't really help with the flakies, but it does moisturize fairly well, and leaves my skin texture feeling smooth and plump. I don't know how effective it is as far as anti-aging properties are concerned--especially considering that retinol is like the 12th ingredient down. However, it doesn't seem to clog my pores, and my skin texture (not including fine lines) has definitely improved with daily use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/28/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by faireyfantom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product was not moisturizing at all. It is expensive. I might recommend this to someone who needs the lightest moisture. Because it didn't really moisturize my skin, makeup did not apply well over this. Primer made things worse, again, due to lack of moisture. The pump is nice but the packaging is bulky when compared to other products with the same amount of product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/13/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: No sticky film or greasy feeling after applying. Feels heavenly and light going on, but it moisturizes my dry skin. My sensitive skin soaks it up and feels calm and nourished with it on. Can easily wear this under makeup. NO fragrance. . Retinol will lessen wrinkles help firm skin by helping to build collagen, and I am excited for that. The retinol in this is quite gentle. I have very sensitive, mild rosacea, skin. But it is not bothered by this. The cost is reasonable for the quality of ingredients. Customer service with Paula's Choice is excellent. A pump is great to keep bacteria out, and the darkness
protects the antixoidants, etc., inside. Cruelty-free product.

CONS: There may not be enough of a film of moisture left for those who want that feeling. But it does describe it on their site as "light". At night, I like a LOT of moisture and have switched to Paula's Choice Skin Recovery mask.

APPLICATION TIPS: I use at night, because that's what most derm experts seem to be recommending.

ALTERNATES: Their Resist retinol serum has a stronger concentration of retinol, but you'll have to add a moisturizer if you need that moisture that this was providing. If this is somehow too much moisture for you, you may like Paula's Choice Hydralight lotion. Also, see "cons" above.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by timothybcat

I've been using Paula's products for about 8 or 9 months and my skin is looking great overall: more even skin tone, smaller pores, plumper. But I accept that the benefits of good skin care show themselves over time, and there aren't miracles. I've never had a wrinkle or dark circles just disappear and stay away forever. I just don't think it's a fair or realistic to expect a product (not that brands don't set you up to expect miracles, but that's a whole other story) to wipe away years of sun exposure, smoking, poking, prodding, and other stupid things I've done to my skin in my 37 years. I always review skin care with that thought in mind.

For about 6 months I've been using PC's Skin Balancing Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum with Retinol at night with success and no irritation. Winter hit, the air got dry, and my formerly oily skin needed something slightly more emollient for nighttime. This worked great for providing more hydration with other great ingredients, and some nights I still used it with the serum, but not often as I was afraid of irritation. This moisturizer is very creamy in texture so I thought it was going to be greasy and just sit there with an oily film on my skin, but I just could not believe how it absorbed completely as soon as I applied it, and yet it still made my skin softer and more hydrated. I could not be happier.

Another reviewer mentioned that retinol is the 13th ingredient in this product. I moseyed over to the PC website just to double check and realized that he or she is 100% right. That's a very valid point and I'm grateful that the other reviewer pointed that out. Now I know why Paula's info packet suggests using a serum WITH this. I would now say that this is a fabulous moisturizer that happens to have excellent ingredients such as retinol, peptides, etc. But like me, you may still choose another product to act as your primary retinol product. Now I'm no so worried about using both products simultaneously. That's why we're responsible for reading ingredient lists, even if they are PC products! Much thanks to the other reviewer!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No